Kilt Lifter Scottish Style Ale - Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

Kilt Lifter Scottish Style AleKilt Lifter Scottish Style Ale

Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery visit their website
Arizona, United States

Scottish Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mzwolinski on 09-24-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kilt Lifter Scottish Style Ale Alström Bros

2.2/5  rDev -41.2%

2.25/5  rDev -39.8%

2.25/5  rDev -39.8%

2.44/5  rDev -34.8%

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

Ultra clear looking, with a mahogany color. The head is made of soapy white foam that settles quickly. Appears to have some pretty lively carbonation. Aroma is not very impressive, there's some light notes of tangy-sweet malt, with a hint of toastiness, but it also has that stale macro character.

The taste is pretty underwhelming too. While the malt has a decent toastiness, it seems too weak overall, as I am waiting for the flavor to come out of its shell. All I get is a faint touch of dark fruit and the slightest bitterness at the back. Thankfully the carbonation adds a little something, however the body is on the lighter side for style.

This beer is not very enjoyable, and sadly it's par for the course when it come to Arizona microbrews. A good Scottish Ale deserves more flavor, while this brew has been made for the masses. I would like to buy more local beers, but beers like this remind me of why I have to look elsewhere...

2.63/5  rDev -29.7%

Appearance: Pours a clear, light brown body with a thin, bubbly head.

Smell: Meager caramel-minded maltiness with a small waft of smoke and fruit note.

Taste: Mild dark caramel malt character with a pinch of earthy brown sugar. Very slight smokiness. Hint of fruit. Light, inexpressive hops. Overall, a bit lacking flavorwise.

Mouthfeel: It's downright light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Thanks, but no thanks. This is unacceptably bland! The things that pass for an "award-winning flagship ale" these days. Yeesh.

2.65/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

From very, very old notes...

Slightly hazed reddish-brown in hue with a smattering of copper as well; it is an attractive color. Skimpy off-white head, at the apex the foam was barely a half finer tall. Bummer… plus there was poor head retention. After a moment all that remained was a thin collar. Similarly, there was no subsequent lacing of note. Overall, the appearance is average.

The nose is vaguely malty but surprisingly hot and alcoholic, especially at only 6% abv. I found it fruity at the back. Here comes a big surprise. The burnt rubber traces and nail polish remover smells are not doing anything for me. Surprising, I know. Thankfully the potency is low, while I’m not totally turned-off I can’t call the nose inviting either.

The palate isn’t very impressive. Weakly malty but there isn’t much richness or flavor depth; all I detect is shallow caramel. Dark fruits run rabid and batter the burnt rubber and nail polish taste. While these alcoholic flavors are not strong, I don’t even like the trace amount it displays. Fluttering finish, malty but there isn’t much going on nor is there any other depth. Bland and flawed, not a winning combination... this is not a very good beer.

Medium in body, moderately-low carbonation, the mouthfeel doesn’t do much for me but it fits this beer well enough.

This Scottish Ale is just too soft spoken and flawed for me to want to drink this again (or any more). If the maltiness was louder and firmer, I think, many of the problems would be solved. Nevertheless, thank you Uncle Rick & Aunt Kathy for shipping me this beer from AZ. This is my finial review from the beers you sent. Thanks for all of them.

2.65/5  rDev -29.1%

Bottle provided by nvsblman, thanks for the opportunity. Pours a one-finger faintly blah caramel-yellowish head over a dull amber liquid. Fine suspended particulates nearly hide a hair from one of my cats, which floats near the foamy top. I fish it out...it probably won't have affected the flavor. Smells...of wet cat. Just kidding. Smells very mild. With searching, caramel, alcohol, raisin, biscuit, bock. Overall...wet sweet, but I really had to stick my nose in there and suck in some air. Tastes a little bit sour-sweet to start, then soured caramel bock-like. I know I've had that grain before, but I can't place it. It's a flavor I've had in Bell's Batch 6000. Sour malty caramel with some alcohol zing and sting. It's aromatic, in a grassy sense, yet earthy like dried forest dirt. A little bit belgian phenolic funky in a yeasty manner. Yes! That's it. It's got a distinct phenolic clove flavor. Very much like the phenolic of a grand cru or clovey like a wheat beer. There is a sweet beneath, but it's not quite enough to qualify the beer as a Scottish ale, IMO. The dry finish does nothing to help overcome the edgy flavors.

The label reads "smooth full bodied Scottish ales". Smooth it is not. Further "with the slightest hint of peat-smokey barley". This I can believe. That might explain some of the clovey sting. Md-light body with moderate carbonation. I enjoyed the experience of this beer, but wouldn't seek out another. It just doesn't fit the bill for my sweet malty loving palette. I can, however, think of many fans of belgian beer that I think would love this beer.

2.68/5  rDev -28.3%

A: 1/8" white head that dissipated quickly over deep amber liquid.

S: Grassy hops and yeast. Not too much going on here.

T: Slightly citrusy with some grassy flavours and barley malt. Not much to it.

M: Thin, watery and minimal carbonation.

O: This certainly doesn't lift my kilt.

2.7/5  rDev -27.8%

A- Pours a clear light ruby red with a full inch of white head. Some lacing and decent head retention. Nearly nil effervescence.

S- Smells grassy/grainy. Faint.

T- More grass. Caramel malts. Sweet aftertaste.

M- Not much carbonation what-so-ever. Thicker than water but watery none the less.

D/O- CAN a CAN increase drinkability? I think so in Four Peaks Kilt Lifter's case. You wouldn't guess it's 6.2%abv...drinks like a macro with some decent flavor.

2.73/5  rDev -27%

Reviewed from notes. Poured on-tap at the Frog & Firkin in Tucson, AZ.

Poured an amber color, finger width head. Roast malt and buttery nose. Awfully light taste for what I was expecting. Malty finish. Mouthfeel was very thin, unfortunate. Overall it was a good beer, I just wish it ran a little thicker.

2.75/5  rDev -26.5%

A: Clear, amber, nice head of fine, creamy consistency. Good retention.

S: Smell is neutral from the bottled version, slightly more malty from the tap version. Neither hops nor malt notes dominate overall.

T: I noted caramel and some subtle roast with the tap version, but get butter (diacetyl?) in the bottled version. Hop bitterness evident, but no hop flavor or aroma.

M: Thin in comparison to what I expect from a wee-heavy. Hop bitterness in the finish; also contrary to expected in a beer style which should showcase malt complexity.

D; A drinkable beer, which is important to success in a college town where kids expect to quaff rather than appreciate. This beer definitely reflects a house flavor, though, which is generally subtle but inoffensive. I'm drinking it now because I bought it, but I long for a Belhaven.

2.85/5  rDev -23.8%

My overall impression of the beer was average, but it had hints of promise. Although not a traditional scottish style ale in my opinion it did have some interesting aspects. The malts created some interested flavors which I would love to explore again. This beer is average is a bottle, but might be a completely different experience from the tap.

2.9/5  rDev -22.5%

Dark amber color, medium head. Aroma is fruity with a touch of smoke. Malty flavor, nearly smoky, somewhat sweet. Medium bodied ale. Nice smooth smoky flavor as per a scotch ale. Mouthfeel is round and full. Finish is smooth and clean. Aftertaste is malty and slightly sweet.

2.98/5  rDev -20.3%

Not bad, but nothing worth remembering. Tastes like a typical 'scottish ale' with a buiscuity malt flavor up front, followed by a little spice and a slight alcohol burn. The higher alcohol content actually helps this brew, as the hops don't really finish off the taste well. Reminds me more of a higher OG and higher alcohol Amber Ale, like a Fat Tire thats been kicked up.

Not my favorite, but not the worst I've ever had.

Kilt Lifter Scottish Style Ale from Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery