Kilt Lifter Scottish Style Ale - Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

Kilt Lifter Scottish Style AleKilt Lifter Scottish Style Ale

Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery visit their website
Arizona, United States

Scottish Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mzwolinski on 09-24-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kilt Lifter Scottish Style Ale Alström Bros

lupercmda, Oct 25, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -7.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass on 9/29/12.

Appearance: Syrup brown/amber with almost no head. Just a rim around the edges of glass.

Smell: Caramel malts and some dark fruit sweetness. Pretty blah.

Taste: Lots of malty caramel, touch of bread, and sweetness. Bit of herbal flavor and some dark fruit sweetness resembling the nose.

Mouthfeel: Super smooth, but maybe a tad thin. Just a bit of carbonation.

Overall: Not bad for the style, just doesn't have any distinguishing qualities.

mfavoino, Oct 01, 2012

t0rin0, Oct 01, 2012

MeadowMuffin, Sep 29, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -7%

This was shipped to me by sKafifer in the hopes of furthering the ongoing madness known as The CANQuest (TM). Believe me, I am awash in CANs at the moment and am trying to get caught up.

From the CAN: "Pack It In - Pack It Out".

I was at Baltimore County's Tilted Kilt back in June and I'd like to mention the beauteous Hardee whose kilt I showed amazing restraint in not lifting. Yeah, I know ... sexist pig, blah, blah, blah, but I notice that none of them seem to mind my generous tips when I show at Flying Saucer, Tilted Kilt, et al. That, and with age comes wisdom. It is poor form to lay hands on the waitstaff.

My Crack & Glug produced a finger of light-tan head that disappeared like Xi Jinping (this is a current events allusion and may be Googled at your leisure). Color was a tea-like brownish-amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was quite sweet, like liquid caramel. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the maltiness was just too much for this self-avowed hophead. If it is going to be this sweet, it should have some more body to it, IMHO. It lacked any subtle smoky quality, which is what I really look for from the style. This would be a malt lover's dream but for me, it was over the top. Finish remained very sweet and I was happy to have tried it, but it was a once-and-done for yours truly.

woodychandler, Sep 14, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -2.9%

Another beer courtesy of the creator of the can quest, woodychandler. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a deep brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is sweet, malty. Taste is malts, molasses, a good bit sweet, very easy drinking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable beer.

tone77, Sep 11, 2012

review is for a can into a pint glass. however, I have had this beer in bottle, tap, growler, can and bourbon barrel aged.

Pours a maple syrup brown color, with medium bubbles and a decent off white head.

smell is toasted bread, pretzels, malt and scotch

taste is hard for me to describe, but I really like it. Sweet, malty, brown sugar, butter (especially in the bourbon barrel aged version), maybe some graham crackers.

mouthfeel is perfectly carbonated with the right amount of chew and great aftertaste with a great finish.

Overall, my go to beer. I know that I rated it as perfect, even though it's not, but I can't think of any major flaws. My biggest problem with it, if you can describe it as such, is that I can't figure out what it tastes like. It doesn't taste like most other scottish ales, it has much less smoke to me, but I can't really define it. And, a suggestion for those of you that can easily find this, try it with a splash of bourbon in your glass before your pour. It closely resembles the bourbon barrel aged version, and brings out flavors of both liquids very well. Also, it pairs great with lemon bars.

If you have never had this, go out of your way to try it!

searsclone, Sep 08, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

This is a pretty unusual style to see available. And I'd have to say that this one is pretty good. Nice caramel roasted tones with sweet aspects that don't overdo it at all. Well rounded and smooth, as much as can be for this style. Nice to be able to try this one out.

RblWthACoz, Sep 06, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

NickyG213, Aug 31, 2012

lauran24, Aug 20, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Had this while traveling in Phoneix.

A: Dark brown, tan colored head, left some thin lacing.

S: A malty sweet biscuity aroma. Pleasant.

T: Reminded me of a sweetned nut brown ale. Great biscuity sweetness, very easy to drink, molasses, toffee, and caramel note come to mind. No real hop character but thats ok.

M: Medium carbonation, drinkable, a tad syrupy.

O: Great dark ale, very flavorful, enjoyable and paired well with my food.

BigCheese, Aug 19, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured a clear, deep amber-brown with a thin ring of off-white head. It looks like a nice ale, not bad. Scents of roast malt, toasted malt, fruity esters and some nutty scents. Quite nice, suggesting a nutty, roasty yet sweet taste. Flavor of sweet malt, some fruity sweetness, a bit berry-like, slight toffee and vague hints of alcohol with a faint hint of roast malt on the aftertaste. It's almost cloyingly sweet, far too much for my tastes. The roast and nutty scents do not carry into the taste at all. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation and a semi-drying finish. It's quite easy to drink from that perspective. Overall it's not a bad beer, just a bit too sweet for my tastes. On other occasions I've had this beer it's been a lot more roasty and nutty, and I really enjoy it a lot when it's like that, it just seems to vary from batch to batch and this batch was a sweet one.

Auraan, Aug 13, 2012

Peller80, Aug 05, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +27%

kwmcmillan, Jul 30, 2012

KaaosMachine, Jul 27, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

My parents picked some of this up for me when they were in Arizona.

Appearance- reddish brown color, thin head, little bit of lacing

Smell- sweet malt

Taste- mostly sweet malt, malt flavor not too strong

Mouthfeel- medium to full bodied

Drinkability- pretty good scotch ale, I would have it again.

jeffjeff1, Jul 26, 2012

dmorgan310, Jul 26, 2012
3.55/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured a clear reddish brown with a small white head.

The smell was pretty mild but I could smell sweet malts, caramel and a bit if alcohol.

The taste was pretty much the same as the smell and just a little bit too subtle.

The mouth feel was smooth with low carbonation.

Overall not too bad but I don't feel the need to buy it again.

Dave1999, Jul 22, 2012
3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

Enjoyed on-tap @ Tacos+Tequila in the Phoenix Airport in Phoenix, AZ for $6.50. Tapped from the White/Red Tap Handle w/ Four Peaks down the side & Kilt Lifter labeled in the square box into a 16oz Pint Glass.

Aroma- Tons of sweetness and kettle/caramel aromas hit the nose well. A very light “peaty” aroma is present also... Lightly roasted and interesting all around!

Appearance- Received with a .5 finger head that dies quickly. Has a clear, dark copper body and leaves good lacing on the glass.

Flavor- Malty and quite sweet once again. Finishes with a grainy and dry finish that isn’t necessarily my favorite... Light bitterness too at the end.

Mouthfeel- Medium-Full Bodied, Medium Carbonation, Creamy but yet dry at the same time. Great combo! Interesting mouthfeel.

Overall Impression- A very nice, clean Scottish ale that suited the style well! Lucky to have tried something from this brewery while I was in the airport during a layover. Highly suggest this beer!

DCon, Jul 21, 2012

kbrown, Jul 21, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

lvoutlawjlh, Jul 18, 2012

rolltide8425, Jul 14, 2012

MathNut, Jul 14, 2012

crobinso, Jun 28, 2012

CharlieKelly, Jun 27, 2012
Kilt Lifter Scottish Style Ale from Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery