Kilt Lifter Scottish Style Ale - Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

Kilt Lifter Scottish Style AleKilt Lifter Scottish Style Ale

good

Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery visit their website
Arizona, United States

Scottish Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mzwolinski on 09-24-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kilt Lifter Scottish Style Ale Alström Bros
JoeyBeerBelly

3.58/5  rDev -4%

I got this brew from tayner. Thanks Dana!

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - slightly cloudy amber color with a creamy beige head that left good lacing.

S - fruity aroma, pears and apples.

T - fruity taste upfront with a slide into some malty sweetness on the finish.

F - light/medium bodied with a crisp feel.

D - I enjoyed the one bottle sample I had but now it's time to move on.

12-05-2008 00:50:33 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

thanks to Tayner for nocking AZ off my list of states to try beer from!

A - golden tan colored brew, nice off white head.

S - light maltiness, slight earthy tones

T - sweet light malts, bicuits honey and a light hop bite.

M - medium bodied, nicely carbonated with a slight sweet finish.

D - nice overall beer. I'd imagine this is a nice draft beer in the local AZ area

11-08-2008 21:27:18 | More by barleywinebrewer
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.63/5  rDev -29.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear, light brown body with a thin, bubbly head.

Smell: Meager caramel-minded maltiness with a small waft of smoke and fruit note.

Taste: Mild dark caramel malt character with a pinch of earthy brown sugar. Very slight smokiness. Hint of fruit. Light, inexpressive hops. Overall, a bit lacking flavorwise.

Mouthfeel: It's downright light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Thanks, but no thanks. This is unacceptably bland! The things that pass for an "award-winning flagship ale" these days. Yeesh.

10-20-2008 00:21:23 | More by ChainGangGuy
thekevlarkid

Maryland

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled out of the bottle on a hot ass day in Scottsdale, AZ. Poured out a clear, copper color with some hints of amber. Khaki head about a finger thick, good lacing and good retention too. Fine lookin' drink. The aromas were peat-smoked malt, caramel malt and some alcohol. The flavors were toasted malt with some of the peat up front, then an earthy character followed by some herbal hops. Carbonation is a little lively at first but it settled down to be pretty drinkable and rather smooth. For my first beer from this state I was happy, But not impressed.

09-09-2008 03:09:22 | More by thekevlarkid
NJpadreFan

3.53/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Four Peaks- Kiltlifter

Thanks to Tayner for this 1.

A- Clear golden copper brown with a huge chunky head. Thick lacing.
S- Strong peat moss, carmalized malt, and alcohol.
T- Strong dry peat moss with a good balance of grainy malt. A good sweet scotch charcoal flavor and a pinch of vaporous alc. in the end.
M- Smooth, creamy, and malty with a bit of a rubbing alc. finish. Alc. vapors go up my palette and into my nose, although this one mellows out eventually.

Overall- Aside form the alc. being a little "fumey", pretty good. You'll be feeling this 1 after about 3! (Thanks Dana!)

08-07-2008 22:55:29 | More by NJpadreFan
Bitterbill

Wyoming

3.38/5  rDev -9.4%

I got this bottle in a trade with tayner. Thanks Dana!

This pours a brownish amber with a huge head of foam. My glass is 3/4 foam, 1/4 beer. Great head retention and there's some nice sticky lacing.

The smell has notes of toasted malt, some caramel, and a kind of chemical smell that's confusing the issue for me.

The taste has a decent toasted malt flavour up front but then I'm getting an earthy flavour that doesn't seem to be doing my tastebuds any good. There's a slight peat flavour that's nice and the finish has a slight bitterness to it but right at the end, it becomes very watery. Same with the mouthfeel; close to medium until right at the end when it goes really thin on me. Also, the alcohol is not hidden very well and it's only 6.2%abv.

Despite the flaws that I see in this beer, it's not as bad as what I make it sound; I'm not having any problem drinking up so I guess I'm getting "used" to what this brew in my glass is all about. ;^)

06-17-2008 23:18:35 | More by Bitterbill
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

Dried apricot with more rising bubbles than the size of the khaki colored cap would suggest. I had no trouble getting all twelve ounces into the glass... with room to spare. The foam looks acceptable and leaves a passable amount of residue. Not exactly eye candy.

The aroma is more amber ale than the stated style. Since Scottish ales are, essentially, amber ales, I'm okay with it. The beer doesn't smell like it will be very sweet, nor does it smell like the peat-smoked malt will be very prominent on the palate. That isn't surprising since the label says that only the 'slightest hint' is present.

Kiltlifter SSA is a pretty good Scottish ale that isn't exactly knocking my... er... kilt off. It has an earthy nuttiness that is similar to an Oktoberfest in some ways. Not only that, but smoke and peat are still tough to appreciate. I would never have chosen the correct style if blinded.

Flavors include toasted brown bread (complete with crunchy crust), oven-baked peanuts, wood, leather, a hint of tangy fruitiness and an earthy-herbal bitterness due to the East Kent Goldings hops. Sweetness and bitterness are both moderate and are relatively balanced in the end.

The mouthfeel improves as the beer spends time in the glass. It seemed too light and too rambunctiously bubbled at first, but firms up and settles down over time.

Kudos to Four Peaks for creating a Scottish ale that straddles the line between Scottish ale and Scotch/wee heavy. I wish they had done a little more with it, though. Less earthiness and more peat-smoked malt would be good places to start. Thanks to tayner for the toss-in.

05-27-2008 13:11:05 | More by BuckeyeNation
jbphoto88

3.53/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mahogany brown with reddish rust tones. There is a thin creamy head that is dull white in color made up of fine bubbles. Nice retention.

Smell is of grainy malts and slightly metallic coppery notes.

Taste is sweet malt dominate. It is lightly roasted toffee and caramel with a creamy mouthfeel. The coppery flavor returns in the aftertaste and yields a sour bitterness.

Not a bad brew but thin in the body. I feel like this one could have something else to it to make it more interesting. Worth trying but buy a single not a sixer.

05-26-2008 17:56:16 | More by jbphoto88
BretSikkink

Mexico

3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

Amber brown. clear with highlights toward the bottom edges. Foam cap 3/4 finger, dwindles slowly. Little lacing.

Smoky, toffee-caramel sweet malt, and a hint of floral hop on the nose. A touch of mineral hardness.

Soft, creamy cask texture, effervescence that helps like the thick flavors of the smoky, toasted malt off the tongue. It also leaves things just a little thin, and wanting for impact.

Finish is strangely floral, almost like jasmine, and quite nectary. No sign of alcohol. Not fully enjoyable, but not harsh and generally pleasant.

On cask, it's a reasonably authentic Scottish-style ale. Not necessarily tops of the style, but what you can expect to find on a tap in the U.K.: malt-driven, light-bodied, minerally, and warm.

Serving type: cask

04-30-2008 04:17:20 | More by BretSikkink
MuenchenerKindl

Germany

3.88/5  rDev +4%

Poured form a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass, the liquid is a nice deep multi-tone dark amber with good carbonation. The head is off white 2 fingers and leave some lace.

The smell is good some lightly smoky malt notes.

The taste is even better, quite nice for a regular scotch ale. Lightly toasted malt with a hint of smokiness. The hops are mild but well balanced for the style. I liked this be plenty.

The mouthfeel is nice, good body and the right carbonation.

The drinkability is good, I would be glad to have a couple more of these.

Prosit, MK

03-02-2008 06:33:31 | More by MuenchenerKindl
naproxen

District of Columbia

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

On tap from the brewery in Tempe, AZ :)

First off, this is the first Scottish ale I have sipped which was worth remembering. I first tasted this from the sampler tray along with all their other beers and this was to me the only one warranting a full pint.

There is a definite sweet taste to this beer. Color-wise it pours an attractive red-amber shade with moderate lacing.

The taste sold me overall with its sweet maltiness. It stands out comared to more mainstream brands which have struck me as bland, contributing to my general apathy for this style.

I could and would enjoy multiples of this beer if need be in a session, it is both smooth and satisfying.

02-12-2008 02:42:10 | More by naproxen
wagenvolks

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

On-tap at the airport Sheraton in Tempe, AZ.

Pours a hazy amber body with a finger's width of rocky, light tan head (extremely well retained). Average lacing. The aroma puts forth hints of spice, burnt malts, and a bit of a metallic note. It's not great, but not terrible...just a bit too faint for my liking.

The flavor was a nice blend of zesty hops, allspice, dark, toffee malts, and a kiss of alcohol. Nothing was too overbearing, here, and a balance was nicely attained. The brew was a bit overcarbonated, but the medium body left a nice spicy bite on the end. This beer sits a bit heavily on the stomach, but for a Scottish Ale, I enjoyed it about as much as one could.

01-04-2008 18:14:50 | More by wagenvolks
mattster

3.33/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Opened 12 oz bottle, poured into Nonic glass.

Nice head formed of about 3/4". then subsided to about 1/8". Color is a nice reddish brown (or is it brownish red).

Smell is of malts and some grain, but nothing outstanding. Taste is quite present. All taste are a bit more subtle than many of the brews I've been drinking lately. I do taste sort of a roasted grain and a little bit of yeastiness, but beer is very dry. I've had this on tap from Four Peaks in N. Scottsdale, and it taste pretty similar from bottle.

The finish is pleasant with a nice mellow mouth feel. I could drink more than one of these - which is good because I think I have a few more.

All in all, a decent brew. Would be good with a burger or even pizza, but I don't think I would pair it with Haggis (Granted, I don't think I would eat Haggis).

12-30-2007 11:13:11 | More by mattster
cerveza5150

2.98/5  rDev -20.1%

Not bad, but nothing worth remembering. Tastes like a typical 'scottish ale' with a buiscuity malt flavor up front, followed by a little spice and a slight alcohol burn. The higher alcohol content actually helps this brew, as the hops don't really finish off the taste well. Reminds me more of a higher OG and higher alcohol Amber Ale, like a Fat Tire thats been kicked up.

Not my favorite, but not the worst I've ever had.

12-23-2007 22:44:49 | More by cerveza5150
Stoneman78

4.43/5  rDev +18.8%

On draft at the Tempe brewery
A- Clear brown amber hue, white creamy head with moderate lacing
S- Subtle bread malts, grains, pale malts, some roast and smoke
T- Biscuit and bread malts, hints of toffee, toast, smoke, and woody flavors, hints of sweetness throughout, finishes crisp and bitter
M- Medium-bodied, watery texture, moderate carbonation
D- Super scottish ale with big malt profile that is well-balanced and one of the most drinkable I've ever had, I probably drank this more than any other craft beer while I lived in Arizona, so I am a bit biased.

12-18-2007 03:27:57 | More by Stoneman78
jbsteiny

Hawaii

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

Picked up a sixer of these over Thanksgiving in AZ. This beer pours an attractive copper color, crystal clear, with a finger's worth of fine wheat-colored head that fades to a fine ring after a few minutes, leaving ephemeral lines of lace on its journey down the glass.

The aroma is a bit sweet; I wish the peat smoke were more prominent -- if I hadn't read the label on the bottle, I probably wouldn't be able to place this as a Scottish. Still, it's pleasant: a mildly hopped British-style ale, bready, appetizing.

Again, tastes almost like a mild ale, save the full mouthfeel. As it warms, more of the caramel and peat flavors come out, but so does a somewhat unpleasant flavor that I usually associate with oxidation. Maybe I taste the peat on the finish, but it could just be suggestion. It's very drinkable, though, especially considering its higher-than-average ABV. A decently tasty ale -- not a bad offering from this brewery, which is new to me. Looking at their website makes me want to hunt down their Hopsquatch barleywine...

12-15-2007 23:43:10 | More by jbsteiny
sweethome

3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a brown tea-like appearance. As I swirl it and look again, it is the color of a single malt scotch...well done. Light white head, rather wispy, what I expect from this style.

The nose is peat, it is hidden, needs a swirl to be brought out fully, but again - like a fine single malt.

The first tast is tea, a hint of peat, a touch of sweet malts. Doesn't quite develop a lot more - nice enough if you like peated malts.

The mouthfeel is well done - smooth and velvety. Not a quaffer (but what scotch ale is), but given the rather low abv of this for style, it is not as drinkable as I would expect.

11-06-2007 05:38:50 | More by sweethome
flexabull

3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a bright, clear amber color, with a nice small white head.

Aromas are subdued. And especially mellow for a scottish ale. Smells like a pale ale, crystal malts and some cereal grains are noticed on the nose.

Beer has a very forward sweet taste. Then in settles into some pretty nice malt flavors, a bit creamy, toasty, smoked, oak like, and with a bit of tart hop bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is nice. Very full, and a lot of flavors really fill your palate when you drink this.

Drinkability is good. This is a nice ale, easy to put down even with the 6.2% ABV.

08-16-2007 05:04:13 | More by flexabull
BeerManDan

3.15/5  rDev -15.5%

The color of this Scottish Style Ale was a medium deep brown that when poured was sort of thick. The flavor of roasted malts with a hint of barley was evident. Not an overpowering ale, but it was pleasant. Also, the taste was sort of flat and lackluster.

Not a favorite of mine and will not bother to purchase it again!

04-26-2007 17:23:00 | More by BeerManDan
akorsak

4.03/5  rDev +8%

A bottle from my 2006 Secret Santa, nvsblman.

A: The ale has a deep brown color that allows some reddish highlights to emerge. The head is almost nonexistent and it looks like there will be no head.

S: The ale has a malty aroma that features some smoky notes.

T: The malts shine in this beer. The flavors are biscuity with some toffee notes. As the ale sits in the mouth, the smoothness of the malts becomes appear, this ale almost slides down the throat. A distinct smoky flavor also emerges, adding a depth to the malty flavor.

M: The mouthfeel is a pleasant smoky malt flavor, fairly restrained but tasty enough.

D: Very drinkable, this is a great sipping ale with the wonderful smoked malt body.

02-10-2007 00:42:35 | More by akorsak
reasoncreated

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

I picked up a six pack at a Sprouts in Phoenix, wanting to try a local beer (it's the only local I could find).
The taste was a little surprising at first. Smooth, with a little hoppy taste, and I could swear it even tasted a little citrusy. I didn't like that at first, but fruitiness was very underpowering. By the second beer I hardly noticed it, and by the third found it actually quite complimenting.
I'll by it again, if in the area, but I don't think I'd make it my regular beer (if I lived here)

12-07-2006 14:14:57 | More by reasoncreated
blitz134

3.4/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had to take the pour easy due to an over zealous head. Just off-white in color, loose foam that recedes quickly. Lots of carbonation bubbles rise to the top through a dark caramel brown color. Not really any lacing to speak of.

Aroma is a bit weak overall. Sweet biscuity malts with some grassy hops. Taste is a bit sweet, light biscuit malting again but has some definate fruity essences that I don't expect too much in a scottish style brew. Has a bit of toasted nuttiness in the finish that begins to hint at some alcohol. Just okay overall.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin as well. Coats the mouth well and the flavor lingers. I thought this was going to be over carbonated but it didn't show up as I expected. Decent drinkability...definately easy to put back but nothing outstanding that would keep me coming back.

10-20-2006 01:12:38 | More by blitz134
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.38/5  rDev +17.4%

Pours caramel with a 4 fingers+ tan head. Very good lacing & pretty good head retention

S: Sweet malt & caramel, with a hint of peat,

T: Big biscuitty malt & caramel then just a hint or 2 of peat up front. A little maple & toffee surfaces as it warms. Finishes dry, just a little peaty & a nice kiss of caramel

MF: Medium bodied, a little chewy, great subdued carbonation & good balance

Drank very easy, nice take on the style & loved the subltleness of the smokey peat flavor. Finding this & old monkey shine was the highlight of my trip to AZ!

10-01-2006 04:16:16 | More by russpowell
beeritron

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

A-nice dark copper color with an off white head that diminishes quickly. Minimal lacing left on the glass.

S-malty with a hint of hops. A smell of caramel is present as well

T-A nice malty flavor with just enough hops to balance the sweetness. leaves a toasted/smokey flavor on the back of the tongue after the swallow.

M-medium body with light carbonation. the alcohol presence leaves a warm tingle in the mouth after the initial sips.

D-i enjoy this beer. it is easy to drink and since it's brewed locally, it's easy to find it just about anywhere in bottles or on tap.

08-29-2006 17:37:55 | More by beeritron
BamaScholar

Tennessee

This good example of the Scottish ale style is on-tap all over Tempe, and maybe all over the greater Phoenix area. As it turns out, we didn't get a chance to visit the Four Peaks brewpub so instead a had a pint in hotel bar, and it tasted very fresh and flavorful.

Color is a nice chestnut brown, not as dark as Newcastle, some orange-red tossed in.

Its caramel malt and nuts all over the place on taste, and very smooth and chemy body. This is a great way to wind my evening down.

I hope if a try a pint on another occasion it won't be watery as some reviewers have experienced. This pint is full-bodied and silky smooth.

08-07-2006 19:48:32 | More by BamaScholar
Kilt Lifter Scottish Style Ale from Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery