Vicaris Generaal - Brouwerij Dilewyns

Vicaris GeneraalVicaris Generaal

Brouwerij Dilewyns visit their website

Dubbel |  8.80% ABV

(Beer added by: paterlodie on 10-06-2005)

I had this at De Kelk in Brugge, poured into a Generaal glass as a freebie from the owner (Jeroen). It was dark brown color with enough foam to threaten take-over of the rim. The aroma was inviting, mostly malt-related aromas like lightly roasted caramel. Maybe it was a little one dimensional in the maltiness but I was pretty happy with it. The taste was the same, kind of simple in it's sweetness. I should question my tastes because there were plenty of Belgians enjoying the hell out of this beer, and I have to believe these people can recognize a fine malt beverage. More likely I had already had too many beers for the night, so I'll gladly revisit this if I can ever find it again.

TurdFurgison, Oct 19, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +21%

(poured into a chalice from the bottle) Appearance is a dark, caramel brown. When held up to the light a dark orange hue, like the last seconds of a sunset before nightfall. Smells like fruit, chocolate, pepper and sugar. Some lacing. Small head remained throughout. Great carbonation. Taste is exceptional with a complexity that rivals westvleteren. Damn, this tastes good! Like drinking a rich piece of black forrest cake with a spicy kick at the end. Just the right amount of hops. Slight warming sensation from the alcohol. Very well-balanced. A bit chewy on the mouthfeel. Great sipping beer. I'd tried to make this last but it was difficult! My favorite new discovery I brought back from Belgium. My only regret is I didn't buy more. One of the top 10 best beers I've ever had.

tubaguy, Sep 20, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

Purchased from the Beers of Europe, a quality online beer shop in the UK. BB 03/07/09, served lightly chilled in a large tulip wine glass.

A: pours a deeply dark russet brown, topped with a super thick and frothy reddish-beige head that lasts forever... plus a light carbonation.
S: mild prunes, red dates, lightly vinegary, red beans, faint touch of spice, sour cherries, raisins, cocoa, and burned brown sugar... all packed harmoniously in one sniff, even ringing a bell of fruit-cake! Deep in the background lies a soothing lactose-yeastiness along with mildly fruit-estery notes. Overall, a good integrity is reached b/w diverse aromas, and alc. touch is restrained.
T: a sweet but smooth swallow of dark malts, black dates, red beans, raisins, treacles, sour-sweet chocolates and roasted malts leads towards a faintly licorice, spicy, dryish and semi-chewy bitterness of hops and yeasts. Up until this stage the flavour reminds me of a full-bodied Baltic Porter or Czech Dark Lager with a bit more fruit-esters... For a Belgian dark ale at this strength, I'm surprisied to see such a clean and smooth finish, where the herbal bitter edge lingers elegantly. The only drawback is, as the ale breathes for a while, the body falls a bit thin with a more dominating sugary note and taste.
M&D: the mouthfeel is superb, lively due to microscopic fizziness and full-bodied, neither heavy nor syrupy at all. The mildly spicy touch on top of the lovely bitterness serves to lift up the overall fruity and malty theme a little. Plus, it's dangerously drinkable in that not a single trace of alc. is felt even in my throat... A really good ale that deserves slow sipping and respect.

wl0307, Aug 24, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Well to taste this beer I was extremely lucky. I made friends with a guy who owns a bar in Philadelphia who went to Belgium. He brought back a good amount from the trip and this was one beer that we had tried.
It poured a dark brown with a one finger tan head. Right after the initial pour you could smell chocolate, caramel, and hints of sour cherries. The taste was the same maybe with a little hint of coffee. I found this beer to be very drinkable. It had a great balance of all the right flavors. A little hops in there as well. I would definitely find this beer and drink it again!

ROMER79, Mar 10, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

BB 22-08-2008, botteled 3 years before. poor in with good and lasting head and a darkbrown beercolor. Nose is fresh, lots of dark candy, good maltyness, slightly hoppy and a rose like yeastparfume. Taste is also lots of candy, caramelic, very dry, slight hint of sourness, alcoholic and bitter. Overal fresh and clean but missing IMO a litle body. Good carbonisation and balanced taste makes moutfeel still quiet good but could have some more maltyness and fuller body. Still a enjoyable and easily drinking brew( on 8.8%!) that I like to see again in future.

paterlodie, Oct 06, 2005