Hoppy Red Ale - Bandwagon Brew Pub

Hoppy Red Ale
No picture uploaded.

Bandwagon Brew Pub visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Hojaminbag on 02-15-2012)
Reviews by Hojaminbag:
Hojaminbag

Colorado

2.45/5  rDev -14%

Bandwagon's Hoppy Red Ale has a reddish brown body with a small tan head that doesn't do a whole lot in the way of retention or lacing.

The aroma has some over-ripe fruit, citrusy hops and caramel malt.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something wrong with most of the Bandwagon's beers. More accurately, I should say that there is something about a lot of them that just doesn't agree with my tastebuds. The only thing I can think of is the ale yeast. The hoppy red leads off with citrus flavors and a bit of resin, which come with light bitterness. Next comes the malt profile, with caramel and a slightly drier, possibly toasted flavor. Although this is the “hoppy” red (there was also a sweet red on-tap) it is arguable whether the malt or the hops were dominant. The next flavor I notice, which was probably the strongest flavor, is over-ripe fruit from the ale yeast. That off-taste makes this one tough to like.

Not enough carbonation.

Every once in a while, I will have a couple of Bandwagon beers that make me think they have turned the corner as far as their brewing goes, but I am inevitably disappointed. Maybe there really is just a huge difference between my taste in beer and theirs. Either way, I keep coming back, and since their beers are usually $3 when I show up, I keep trying them.

02-15-2012 01:46:09 | More by Hojaminbag
utopiajane

3.11/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours dark orange with a cranberry hue. Sweet hop nose with raspberries. Floral. Thin light body and a light biscuit malt. Has a kool aid quality without the sweetness. Watery Not much aftertaste and finished pretty quickly. The nose on this was delightful but in the drink it was a little bland and the hop character did not stand up to the drink. It struck me more like a pale ale and not really a red ale. I have tasted a similar malt in all their beers and a similar body too. It’s not that it’s too disagreeable but I think it would be better if they weren’t all the same. This had a light touch of bitter and oil but with the weak thinness of it, it was bland. There was a touch of citrus but it was the berry on the nose of this one that was tempting.

08-16-2013 23:29:01 | More by utopiajane
JCFinn

04-16-2012 03:41:27 | More by JCFinn
Hoppy Red Ale from Bandwagon Brew Pub
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.