Pyramid Hefeweizen - Walnut Creek Alehouse (Pyramid)

Pyramid HefeweizenPyramid Hefeweizen

Walnut Creek Alehouse (Pyramid) visit their website

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2005

to view more.
Ratings: 291 | Reviews: 99
Reviews by Luminol:
1.81/5  rDev -44.5%

Opened 12oz bottle, poured into Nonic.

Very little head that dissipates quickly, some light foam on top, some lacing on glass. Color is a hazy but bright amber.

Smell is skunk-like, even a few minutes after pouring. Some notes of citrus on smell, but skunk scent is pretty powerful.

Taste is similar to the smell. Nothing great about this beer. It forms a weird metallic aftertaste that isn't really pleasant. Maybe if I had a wedge of fruit to put in it, it would be much more palatable, but after a few sips, I can't drink anymore.

I've had other Pyramid brews before, and this one doesn't stand up to the others I've had.

3.05/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance - Cloudy, light golden in color, decent head and stays awhile.

Smell - Aroma of wheat, malts, and honey.

Taste - Lightly bitter hops with hints of sweet malt.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated and smooth.

D - Slightly refreshing but I probably won't add it to the regular rotation.

4.2/5  rDev +28.8%

A - This one is murky and carrot-juice orange after I added the bottom dwelling yeast. The head, although no midget, is smallish for a hefe. Big ol' sheets of lace fall gracefully back into the brew, leaving some wet and glistening lace behind. Head retention is really good too.

S - Yeasty bread, lemon tarts, and what reminds me of a lemon-chiffon Yankee candle...sorry, we've been going through our wedding gifts and I've smelled a lot of candles today. A hint of pepper and bubblegum are there, just enough to nail the style on the head.

T - Sweet, gummy, yeasty, and bready. This tastes very fresh and bakery born. Some almost Belgian pepper and spice is there, along with a really bubblegummy finish.

M - Medium bodied, fresh, slick, and sweet. The adequate carbonation keeps it from getting to slimy or heavy, and the finish is neutral with pepper and bubblegum flavors.

D - I'm really pretty impressed with this one. I prefer my hefes to lean to the bubblegum and yeasty dough side of the spectrum (as opposed to the lemony, twangy, and peppery side), and this one certainly does just that. A damn fine hefe indeed.

2.92/5  rDev -10.4%

12 oz stubby screw-cap bottle served in pint glass. No lemon.

Beer pours pale golden in color, and entirely translucent -- unexpected for an "unfiltered" wheat ale. Tall white head that falls quickly. Aroma is mostly sweet, which always reminds me of apple juice. Flavor is inoffensive, if a little on the sweet side, conveying relatively wheat character, and no interesting German Hefeweiss yeast characterics.

3.31/5  rDev +1.5%

A: Light gold, cloudy, nice yeast presence. Looks very presentable when I poured it into my favorite pint glass. Decent head as well, thought the color seemed a bit darker than I had anticipated; definitely a minus, though the retention was pretty good.

S: Very weak nose. Yeast smell as well as a faint hint of banana. Could not pick up any sort of clove, which was a huge disappointment.

T: Nice flavor, though quite weak and watery. What WAS there was alright. Nice yeast and banana notes with a average wheat backing.

M: Medium to light. Quite watery and thinner than I expect for this style. Tastes do not linger very long, definitely a minus.

Overall, this brew is average at best. I expected something somewhat thicker, less watery, and with bolder flavors. On the plus side, it is VERY easy to drink and may be good for someone wanting to get away from the big national brands. However, I found myself quite disappointed, which is a shame, because a lot of the basics are there. I just need more.

3.54/5  rDev +8.6%

Have this on one of my taps in my kegerator. I have had it several times before and I use to drink it all the time before I really got into craft beer.

Poured into a weizen glass. Pours a merky kind of orange color with a nice head with good lacing that stays all the way down the glass.

Smells of alot of bready yeast and alot of citrius. Very American hef like. Actually stings the nostrils a bit. I don't know why.

Tastes bready and yeasty with citrius notes. Pretty good.

Mouthfeel is good with great carbonation.

Drinkability is great for the summer and will have alot of these since I have 15.5 gallons of it.

4.3/5  rDev +31.9%

Nice hazy orange glow with a big white fluffy head. Tart lemon on the nose, a bit of musty basement some underlying clove, a touch of coriander and tropical fruit.

Slightly low in carbonation but heft body that thins out a little on the finish. Sweet tropical fruits up front flow into a flavor that connects with these fruit and gives a slightly marmalade flavor. Breadfruit and a bit of nuttiness on the back end of the tongue. Slightly spicy finish but cuts the other flavors with just a lingering soft tannin quality.

A really complex and well layered hefeweizen. Pretty unique and interesting. An american twist on this classic style.

3.41/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very mild, some hints of citrus. Taste is a good balance of grains, citrus, and spices. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a quality beer.

3.65/5  rDev +12%

Poured a cloudy mellow yellow. Nothing real inviting looking.
Not much head....about 3/4 inch, and it did not last all that long.

Tastea was very pleasent though....creamy feel with nice fruit hints. Mouth feel was equally as nice with no aftertaste. After reading the reviews...I trple checked to make sure we were talking about the same brew.

Maybe I got a "good batch". Very smooth and tasty.

3.76/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours murky gold with a good sized white head and moderate lacings. Aroma is cider-like.
Taste is sweet malts and moderately bitter hops. A bit fruity some mild apricot flavor. Some mild bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is good for the style.
Overall a pretty good session brew due to the fairly low 5.2% abv.

2.78/5  rDev -14.7%

I don't really like this stuff.
Got it on sale for 7 bucks, and I was aiming for cheap this evening.
Appearance: Not too bad. Foam leaves a little to be desired. It's light, small, was never really present.
Aroma: Too yeasty, not interesting or even par with style.
Taste: Not full bodied enough, a little too citrusy for my taste. It's like watered down orange juice, honestly.
Moutfeel: Kinda metallic feel going on. Not for me
Drinkability: Not good. It's not tasty enough for my tastes.

Overall, cmon Pyramid, get on the ball!

I'm opening a homebrew.

2.66/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from a bottle into a weizen glass. Golden and cloudy like a hefe should be, but goes down hill after that. The banana and cloves that usually go with a hefe are not here in the taste. Has a sweet taste but just rather bland. I would pass on this one if you are looking for a good hefeweizen.

4.33/5  rDev +32.8%

I feel that this is a spectacular rendition of the True American Hefeweisen. It has a fantastic nose, great drinkability, and very consistent quality. This is surprising to me, as the creativity and quality of the rest of Pyramid's line-up is quite poor in my opinion.

3.17/5  rDev -2.8%

Found this single 12 oz bottle in a discout bin at one of the Binny's Liquor stores in Chicago for just 99 cents, and since I had already tried and liked their apricot weizen I decided to give the hefe weizen a try.

The pour produced a 2 finger white head that disappeared as fast as it formed. The color was a nice hazy apricot that left no lacing at all. The smell is a mix of fruit and yeast.

There was no banana/clove smell or taste to this one which is strange for a hefe weizen. Instead it has a sweet wheat malty flavor along with a touch of apple juice. It was easy to drink and there were no bad flavors in it, but it needs more substamce to it. It's like being given a glass of skim or 2% milk when you wanted a glass of whole milk. A bit of a watery mouthfeel but with a higher than average carbonaton level. It's OK, but it needs a stronger dose of flavors, and if there were any hops in here I sure didn't notice them.

3.05/5  rDev -6.4%

12oz bottle
Served in a pint glass

A - It pours a hazy golden color with a brief off white head. I've had it on tap several times, and the keg version seems to have more suspended yeast.

S - I get some yeast and wheat. Not a lot going on in this area.

T - It is pretty bland. Nothing offensive, yet nothing that stands out.

M - Moderate

O - It looks a lot cooler on tap. It is an average beer all around. In bottles I think it is less than average.

3.4/5  rDev +4.3%

Pyramid Hefe Weizen, starts out with a wheat graininess. Medium bodied - with tangy carbonation. Underlays of small ripe oranges, banana, and grapefruit. A middle of the line Hefe, that is decent - but nothing extraordinary.

A tad bit acidic for the style as well. With a lackluster Banana/Clove appearance.

3.49/5  rDev +7.1%

this beer poured a hazy caramel with minimal head and minimal lacing. I should note that it was poured from a hand pump at my buddy's wedding, so lack of head may be due to the pour itself.

smelled good enough. It was sweet and estery with a little bready yeast to it. I enjoy a bit of a bread nose in a hef.

taste was as to be expected with this beer. I've had it plenty before, so it didn't surprise me that it was a decent representation of the style, though a bit metallic in finish.

mouth was light though a bit astringent. I would have liked it to be a bit more creamy... but it is what it is. To be honest though, it was hot as hell at the outdoor reception so this really hit the spot. while it wasn't the right brand, the style was spot on for an afternoon in hellish weather.

2.42/5  rDev -25.8%

It has an orange cloudy color with virtually no head with very minor lace. It smells pretty faint and cereal like. It has a very bland flavor mainly sour. The aftertaste is cereal like as well there is not much to this beer other than fizz bite. I was very disapointed with this beer.

2.84/5  rDev -12.9%

Tastes like a corona...
Waste of money but hey, live and learn. Im just upset it was sitting RIGHT NEXT to sierra nevadas hefe and I chose the pyramid.

Appearance is nice, pretty dark and somewhat opaque. But it just tastes like a smooth somewhat fruity cheap lager. Aftertaste resembles a bud light. A little watery and flat. The lemon and good malt balance are reassuring though. No lacing.

I threw a lime in it and plan on enjoyin em on my back porch.

Would not buy again, but its so nice out I dont even care.

3.2/5  rDev -1.8%

Aroma: wheat, slight pils malt, no esters or diacetyl, but is lacking of the phenolic profile expected of the style

Appearance: Hazy, golden color; thin white head dissipates almost immediately

Flavor: slight spicyness from the wheat, but it is lacking of the phenols (clove/banana) that are characteristic of the style, no hop flavor, yeast provides a slight tartness

Mouthfeel: Medium to light bodied, medium to low carbonation

Overall: Drinkable, but lacking of the phenolic characteristic represented by the style

3.62/5  rDev +11%

This beer did not have much head or retention. It had a nice wheatyy and citrusy smell. It's tasete was smell and wheaty. The only problem is that it had a little bit of an unpleasant dryness.

Mouthfeel was very crisp and a decent body. It was also pretty easy to drink. I finished it fairly fast.

3.8/5  rDev +16.6%

From bottle to pint glass.

Appearance: A pale hazy orange yellow. Opaque. Head of about an inch with no lacing, poor retention.

Smell: Light wheat, herb, and small amount of spice. Light malt as well. Smells like fresh bread.

Taste: A typical hefe but not as surprising. Ligh hops taste on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with good carbonation.

Drinkability: A decent hefe. I like it and I have high standards for beer.

I think it's evident that the higher standards I hold for a beer and the wow factor it gives me directly correlate to the length of my rating.

3.61/5  rDev +10.7%

pours up cloudy, dull orange color. little bit of a white head. aromatics of citrus, lemon, even notes of old bananas with the bananas starting to turn black. tastes of subtle banana, slight citrus hops. light to medium bodied, medium carbo. an OK hefe.

2.51/5  rDev -23%

The taste of this Hefeweizen is more like a filtered American Ale (Bud) than an unfiltered Germanic Ale. The aftertaste is actually not bad, but also not great, and doesn't stand out too much. When it's in the mouth, it's not terrible, but it leaves a dry sensation after the fact; almost clammy.

A bit stronger flavor may have fixed both of these issues for me. Although, I don't remember disliking it this much, so it may have been the bottling process as well. The first time I had it, it was tapped from a keg and had slight hints of fruit. I didn't taste anything close this time around. Although, I will say I remember the aftertaste and the after in-mouth feel to be very close to my past experience with it.

3.08/5  rDev -5.5%

I'm always on the lookout for a good wheat beer. German Hefeweizen are my favorite, but it would be nice if I could find a good craft interpretation of the style. It's less of a money issue, as it is a personal interest. The imported stuff isn't too much different in price vs a craft beer. American craft brewers have cracked the code of making great beers in almost every style these days, but it seems they're having issues with the hefeweizen. It's a complicated style, but I have to figure that if Franzisker, Paulaner, and others can make them on a huge scale in Germany it should be possible to make one on a craft scale, right?

Unfortunately, I'm still looking. The Pyramid Hefe was decent, and perhaps it would taste better on tap. It was still missing the attractive smell of a Paulaner and had a bit more hop presence. This was not bad at all, but had a bit of an aftertaste that isn't typical of the style. If I found this on tap at a bar I would most definitely try it again in that situation, but all signs point to an unspectacular, but decent, attempt at the Hefeweizen style.

to view more.
Pyramid Hefeweizen from Walnut Creek Alehouse (Pyramid)