Pyramid Hefeweizen - Walnut Creek Alehouse (Pyramid)

Pyramid HefeweizenPyramid Hefeweizen

Walnut Creek Alehouse (Pyramid) visit their website

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2005

3.11/5  rDev -4.6%

So, American Pale Wheat Ale you say...never heard. Poured into a pint glass this brew is similar to the traditional Bavarian Hefeweizen with a yellow/orange hazy pale color with a thick white head. Based on look this may be ok. The aroma is extremely faint with a light citrus aroma, and some mild hops notes. The taste is certainly nothing what I experienced in Germany, lacking any semblance of what I have come to know a Hefeweizen to be. However, it leaves an interesting problem. Do I rate it on the style, or do I rate it as an individual brew. As a brew this is ok. Decent balance of hops to malt, with a slight kick from carbonation with a little citrus aftertaste. Not traditional, but maybe this is the American style.

3.18/5  rDev -2.5%

Served in a pint glass with a slice of lemon

A: Light gold / orange color. Very cloudy. Moderate head that recedes quickly.

S: Wheat, malts, citrus (mostly from the lemon slice I'm sure).

T: Very tart and wheaty taste. The malts give it a slight sweetness, but the flavor isn't balanced at all. Hops lag far behind and are almost an afterthought.

M: The tartness can drag on the mouth.

D: I've bought a couple of cases of this over the years. It's not the best hef, but the common drinker enjoys it, and that's good enough for those occasions. Great party beer.

2.9/5  rDev -11%

Poured on tap into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a soft, cloudy, straw color with little no head. After about 30 seconds, head is completely gone.

Smell: Not a lot of complexity here, smells of wheat, soft honey, and a little citrus.

Taste: Again, not very impressed. This is a pretty flat tasting hefeweizen. There are soft wheat and honey flavors, neither of which really develop or change with the beer. I guess it is not really bad, just nothing special.

Mouthfeel: This has a medium-high level of carbonation, but is very light and somewhat flat-tasting.

Drinkability: Since it isn't very good, it's tough to imagine drinking too many of these. It was light, which made it easy enough to finish quickly when I realized it wasn't my favorite.

2.42/5  rDev -25.8%

It has an orange cloudy color with virtually no head with very minor lace. It smells pretty faint and cereal like. It has a very bland flavor mainly sour. The aftertaste is cereal like as well there is not much to this beer other than fizz bite. I was very disapointed with this beer.

Poured a straw color with a decent white head. Nose is is of a lot of wheat with some citrus notes, and a little spice. All aroma was very pale and muted. Taste was crisp but not a lot of flavor going on. Mouth feel was not as clean as I thought a Hefe usually is. Average hefe.

3.76/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours murky gold with a good sized white head and moderate lacings. Aroma is cider-like.
Taste is sweet malts and moderately bitter hops. A bit fruity some mild apricot flavor. Some mild bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is good for the style.
Overall a pretty good session brew due to the fairly low 5.2% abv.

2.89/5  rDev -11.3%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Poured a small foamy head on a very cloudy yellow body. Smells were very faint...some sweetness, a touch of hops, and a bit of "wheatiness", but otherwise, not much there. Taste was more or less the same. The typical wheat flavors are there, just not very pronounced or remarkable. Seemed a bit over carbonated and not as thick as better wheats. Generally, nothing exciting, nothing to draw me back to buying a sixer. There are just too many other better example of the style available. Disappointing.

2.26/5  rDev -30.7%

On many occasions, but tonight felt like a good night to drink one.

A - Lt golden in color, good head, very cloudy, and stays awhile.

S - Wheat, malts, and honey.

T - Tart, maltiness, and bitterng hops.

M - Tart is a good word, not much balance.

D - Wouldn't buy.

2.45/5  rDev -24.8%

This brew looked pretty thin in color and haze. The faintest of yeast was present in the nose, but the mouth was all pilsner! This brew really falls short of its claim as a hefe, and seems to be one of those wheats that is just trying to be light enough to drink several of. The problem is that it really misses the mark for the style. I swear I was drinking a can of (insert commercial lager here).

4.18/5  rDev +28.2%

I find this to be one of the easiest beers available to pound back one after another.

A- Hazy translucent light-wheat color with a decent head.

S- Smells like sweet wheat

T- Tastes like sweet wheat, with hops coming out in the end for a grand finale

M- Unfiltered, yet light excellence

D- Gimme another please

3.26/5  rDev 0%

Appearance - Cloudy golden orange color with a frothy white head.

Aroma - Light malt and citrus aromas.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth and light with some fizzy small bubble carbonation.

Taste - Wheat and malt flavors dominate with a small hint of banana in the finish.

Overall - Very mild, but very drinkable. Not bad just not great.

3.08/5  rDev -5.5%

From sixer to glass as an after lunch drink...

Nice golden orange, weak head.

Standard citrus smell, pretty faint though.

Pretty light on the flavor as well but not bad.

Light, cool, refreshing. I'm partial to hefs so this is nice but not exceptional at all. It sure washed down my mushroom swiss burger fantastically.

Easily drinkable, but middle of the road for sure. Great go-to beer in restuarants with limited selections.

3.31/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a hazy golden orange with a white head that settles not too quickly.

S: Bitter orange, wheat and roasted grains some herbal hops but no fruity esters. Aroma a bit weak overall.

T: Wheat, vanilla, caramel and roasted malt. Some spicy and herbal hops but in a balance with the malt sweetness. Some lingering bitterness in the finish.

M: Smooth and moderate body make up this beer.

D: Aroma was weak but overall a decent easy drinking beer.

3.4/5  rDev +4.3%

Pyramid Hefe Weizen, starts out with a wheat graininess. Medium bodied - with tangy carbonation. Underlays of small ripe oranges, banana, and grapefruit. A middle of the line Hefe, that is decent - but nothing extraordinary.

A tad bit acidic for the style as well. With a lackluster Banana/Clove appearance.

3.75/5  rDev +15%

Very attractive beer, especially considering I poured the 12 oz. bottle into my half liter Weizen glass. Good head, good lacing, and a golden brown color that's slightly darker than a typical wheat, with the usual haziness. Also a very strong and pleasant aroma, with lots of grain and some yeast. Less fruity than other Hefes. Taste is good, but not that strong, and actually reminds me almost more of a blonde ale than of other hefeweizens. Initial impact is weak, but then develops and has a very nice finish. Low carbonation, very smooth mouthfeel; neither light nor heavy. Very drinkable.

2.8/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours a cloudy tan color with lots of yeast, with a creamy white head that leaves some nice lacing around the glass.

Smell is not strong but has some yeast and bread notes.

Taste starts out bready then changes to a citrus flavor that finishes with a orange peel, metalic taste that isn't very dry.

4.26/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was my first experience with Hefe Weizen--and boy was I impressed. This poured cloudy orange with a 2 inch head that hung around for about half the glass with some lacing. The smell was clean, crisp and a little spicy. The taste was a little spicy at first with moderate carbonation, but finished off clean. As soon as I put the glass down the first time I immediately wanted another taste. I almost couldn't believe my taste buds and I have thought about little else but when I can get some more since I finished. This was perfect for the 100F day, very refreshing and quenching. It will definitely become a staple through the summer while the rest of my sixers will rotate other new brews. To me, this one is a keeper.

3.6/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pyramid's Hefe is a regular guest in my cooler, largely because it's frequently on sale at BevMo, my local retailer of choice. They've undoubtedly acquired some major league distribution, which means macro ties, so keep a close eye on future quality. I've been quaffing this brew for years. It's a superb hot weather quencher and an excellent converter beer for craft initiates. I've noticed a bit of inconsistency in the batches, but overall it's a worthy warrior, at least for the present. My lightly lagered wife likes it because it doesn't leave a bitter taste - her bitter half likes'em harsh.

Price is right,
Taste is fine.
Let thy flow
In thy stein

3.64/5  rDev +11.7%

A-pours a cloudy pale orange it looks like soapy bath water,the head is a medium sized,creamy,and leaves lots of lacing as it falls

S-fresh baked pizza dough,yuuummmyy!!some faint spice and earthy grainy undertones

T-yeasty,raw whole wheat bread dough,peppery and sweet at the same time,some pear and maybe pineapple,yellow gumballs

M-soft velvety carbonation tickles the tounge and nose on each sip,light body,and oh so refreshing

D-very enjoyable Hefe,could easily enjoy again and again

3.54/5  rDev +8.6%

Have this on one of my taps in my kegerator. I have had it several times before and I use to drink it all the time before I really got into craft beer.

Poured into a weizen glass. Pours a merky kind of orange color with a nice head with good lacing that stays all the way down the glass.

Smells of alot of bready yeast and alot of citrius. Very American hef like. Actually stings the nostrils a bit. I don't know why.

Tastes bready and yeasty with citrius notes. Pretty good.

Mouthfeel is good with great carbonation.

Drinkability is great for the summer and will have alot of these since I have 15.5 gallons of it.

4.2/5  rDev +28.8%

A - This one is murky and carrot-juice orange after I added the bottom dwelling yeast. The head, although no midget, is smallish for a hefe. Big ol' sheets of lace fall gracefully back into the brew, leaving some wet and glistening lace behind. Head retention is really good too.

S - Yeasty bread, lemon tarts, and what reminds me of a lemon-chiffon Yankee candle...sorry, we've been going through our wedding gifts and I've smelled a lot of candles today. A hint of pepper and bubblegum are there, just enough to nail the style on the head.

T - Sweet, gummy, yeasty, and bready. This tastes very fresh and bakery born. Some almost Belgian pepper and spice is there, along with a really bubblegummy finish.

M - Medium bodied, fresh, slick, and sweet. The adequate carbonation keeps it from getting to slimy or heavy, and the finish is neutral with pepper and bubblegum flavors.

D - I'm really pretty impressed with this one. I prefer my hefes to lean to the bubblegum and yeasty dough side of the spectrum (as opposed to the lemony, twangy, and peppery side), and this one certainly does just that. A damn fine hefe indeed.

2.36/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Boulevard Brewery pint glass. This beer poured a turbid straw yellow with fast moving bubbles that caused a big, frothy white head, which disappeared into a slight rim along the glasses edges. The aroma reminds me of a yeastier version of a Budweiser aroma. The taste is odd. There is a sour taste up front that I can't really pick out what's causing it. Also there is a definite yeasty presence but the flavors that most people associate with a Hefe are absent. There is no clove or bananas. Gone is the spiciness from the yeast. Really the only thing this beer has going for it in the Hefe category is the fact that it's cloudy. The mouthfeel is artificially full. Again, something just doesn't seem right about it. I wouldn't ever seek this beer out again.

3.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a cloudy yellow with gold or orange tinge. The head is medium at best and goes away quickly.

Smell has some yeast but that's about it.

Taste is somewhat citrus with some malt in the background. Some bread and yeast undertones.

Mouthfeel is a tad seltzer and dry carbonation.

Drinkable but forgetable.

3.31/5  rDev +1.5%

A: Light gold, cloudy, nice yeast presence. Looks very presentable when I poured it into my favorite pint glass. Decent head as well, thought the color seemed a bit darker than I had anticipated; definitely a minus, though the retention was pretty good.

S: Very weak nose. Yeast smell as well as a faint hint of banana. Could not pick up any sort of clove, which was a huge disappointment.

T: Nice flavor, though quite weak and watery. What WAS there was alright. Nice yeast and banana notes with a average wheat backing.

M: Medium to light. Quite watery and thinner than I expect for this style. Tastes do not linger very long, definitely a minus.

Overall, this brew is average at best. I expected something somewhat thicker, less watery, and with bolder flavors. On the plus side, it is VERY easy to drink and may be good for someone wanting to get away from the big national brands. However, I found myself quite disappointed, which is a shame, because a lot of the basics are there. I just need more.

1.98/5  rDev -39.3%

Poured from a bottle into a half chalice, because I broke my weiss glass :(

Pours a cloudy straw with a 2 finger pillowed head that recedes to a cap quickly.

Aroma is corn, DMS and adjuncts. Sulfur hops are in the aroma.

Flavor is sweet corn and DMS, wow any hints of a hefeweiss are clouded by the sour DMS and the cloying sweetness. Yeast is in for the team but can't overpower the corny adjunct flavor. It's like rotted wheat bread with sugar on it.

Mouthfeel is medium and not terrible, I can't judge it well, as it's hard to hold this one in the mouth.

I hope this was a bad bottle, first drain pour of my BA career, and that's a lot of years.

Pyramid Hefeweizen from Walnut Creek Alehouse (Pyramid)