Pyramid Hefeweizen - Walnut Creek Alehouse (Pyramid)

Pyramid HefeweizenPyramid Hefeweizen

Walnut Creek Alehouse (Pyramid) visit their website

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2005

Ratings: 291 | Reviews: 99
3.6/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pyramid's Hefe is a regular guest in my cooler, largely because it's frequently on sale at BevMo, my local retailer of choice. They've undoubtedly acquired some major league distribution, which means macro ties, so keep a close eye on future quality. I've been quaffing this brew for years. It's a superb hot weather quencher and an excellent converter beer for craft initiates. I've noticed a bit of inconsistency in the batches, but overall it's a worthy warrior, at least for the present. My lightly lagered wife likes it because it doesn't leave a bitter taste - her bitter half likes'em harsh.

Price is right,
Taste is fine.
Let thy flow
In thy stein

3.64/5  rDev +11.7%

A-pours a cloudy pale orange it looks like soapy bath water,the head is a medium sized,creamy,and leaves lots of lacing as it falls

S-fresh baked pizza dough,yuuummmyy!!some faint spice and earthy grainy undertones

T-yeasty,raw whole wheat bread dough,peppery and sweet at the same time,some pear and maybe pineapple,yellow gumballs

M-soft velvety carbonation tickles the tounge and nose on each sip,light body,and oh so refreshing

D-very enjoyable Hefe,could easily enjoy again and again

3.54/5  rDev +8.6%

Have this on one of my taps in my kegerator. I have had it several times before and I use to drink it all the time before I really got into craft beer.

Poured into a weizen glass. Pours a merky kind of orange color with a nice head with good lacing that stays all the way down the glass.

Smells of alot of bready yeast and alot of citrius. Very American hef like. Actually stings the nostrils a bit. I don't know why.

Tastes bready and yeasty with citrius notes. Pretty good.

Mouthfeel is good with great carbonation.

Drinkability is great for the summer and will have alot of these since I have 15.5 gallons of it.

4.2/5  rDev +28.8%

A - This one is murky and carrot-juice orange after I added the bottom dwelling yeast. The head, although no midget, is smallish for a hefe. Big ol' sheets of lace fall gracefully back into the brew, leaving some wet and glistening lace behind. Head retention is really good too.

S - Yeasty bread, lemon tarts, and what reminds me of a lemon-chiffon Yankee candle...sorry, we've been going through our wedding gifts and I've smelled a lot of candles today. A hint of pepper and bubblegum are there, just enough to nail the style on the head.

T - Sweet, gummy, yeasty, and bready. This tastes very fresh and bakery born. Some almost Belgian pepper and spice is there, along with a really bubblegummy finish.

M - Medium bodied, fresh, slick, and sweet. The adequate carbonation keeps it from getting to slimy or heavy, and the finish is neutral with pepper and bubblegum flavors.

D - I'm really pretty impressed with this one. I prefer my hefes to lean to the bubblegum and yeasty dough side of the spectrum (as opposed to the lemony, twangy, and peppery side), and this one certainly does just that. A damn fine hefe indeed.

2.36/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Boulevard Brewery pint glass. This beer poured a turbid straw yellow with fast moving bubbles that caused a big, frothy white head, which disappeared into a slight rim along the glasses edges. The aroma reminds me of a yeastier version of a Budweiser aroma. The taste is odd. There is a sour taste up front that I can't really pick out what's causing it. Also there is a definite yeasty presence but the flavors that most people associate with a Hefe are absent. There is no clove or bananas. Gone is the spiciness from the yeast. Really the only thing this beer has going for it in the Hefe category is the fact that it's cloudy. The mouthfeel is artificially full. Again, something just doesn't seem right about it. I wouldn't ever seek this beer out again.

3.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a cloudy yellow with gold or orange tinge. The head is medium at best and goes away quickly.

Smell has some yeast but that's about it.

Taste is somewhat citrus with some malt in the background. Some bread and yeast undertones.

Mouthfeel is a tad seltzer and dry carbonation.

Drinkable but forgetable.

3.31/5  rDev +1.5%

A: Light gold, cloudy, nice yeast presence. Looks very presentable when I poured it into my favorite pint glass. Decent head as well, thought the color seemed a bit darker than I had anticipated; definitely a minus, though the retention was pretty good.

S: Very weak nose. Yeast smell as well as a faint hint of banana. Could not pick up any sort of clove, which was a huge disappointment.

T: Nice flavor, though quite weak and watery. What WAS there was alright. Nice yeast and banana notes with a average wheat backing.

M: Medium to light. Quite watery and thinner than I expect for this style. Tastes do not linger very long, definitely a minus.

Overall, this brew is average at best. I expected something somewhat thicker, less watery, and with bolder flavors. On the plus side, it is VERY easy to drink and may be good for someone wanting to get away from the big national brands. However, I found myself quite disappointed, which is a shame, because a lot of the basics are there. I just need more.

1.98/5  rDev -39.3%

Poured from a bottle into a half chalice, because I broke my weiss glass :(

Pours a cloudy straw with a 2 finger pillowed head that recedes to a cap quickly.

Aroma is corn, DMS and adjuncts. Sulfur hops are in the aroma.

Flavor is sweet corn and DMS, wow any hints of a hefeweiss are clouded by the sour DMS and the cloying sweetness. Yeast is in for the team but can't overpower the corny adjunct flavor. It's like rotted wheat bread with sugar on it.

Mouthfeel is medium and not terrible, I can't judge it well, as it's hard to hold this one in the mouth.

I hope this was a bad bottle, first drain pour of my BA career, and that's a lot of years.

3.61/5  rDev +10.7%

pours up cloudy, dull orange color. little bit of a white head. aromatics of citrus, lemon, even notes of old bananas with the bananas starting to turn black. tastes of subtle banana, slight citrus hops. light to medium bodied, medium carbo. an OK hefe.

3.16/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured a very golden straw colored body with plenty of white, frothy, head that leaves lacing everywhere. Smell is of a lot of wheat with some citrus notes, and a little spice. All aroma was very pale and muted. Taste was crisp but not a lot of flavor going on. Mouth feel was not as clean as I thought a Hefe usually is. Then again I had a few beers before this one and might not have been tasting all that well.

3.2/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a bottle a cloudy apricot color with little head and no lacing.

Aroma is light with some citrus and malt.

Tastes of light malt, lemon zest, and apricots. Overall, a bit washed out in the flavor department.

Light mouthfeel, slick, and with moderate carbonation.

An average Hefeweizen at best. I just kind of lays there.

2.99/5  rDev -8.3%

Bright cloudy golden color with a good head.

Lots of clove and spice, not so much from yeast characteristics, though. Almost seems like a wit.

Again, huge clove flavor but there is a slight sour twang from the wheat hanging around. In an of itself alright, but those spices are odd.

Fluffy medium carbonation, not a lot of dryness.

Like I said, in and of itself, not bad but doesn't seem like a true hefe.

3.07/5  rDev -5.8%

The Apricot Weizen remains, by far, my favorite pyramid brew.

Pours a hazy pale orange. Kind of strange looking for this type. About an inch and a half head. Smells, and tastes, faintly of wheat, apricots ... maybe some citrus zest ... okay, I'm reaching here. There just isn't much going on with this beer.

Fairly watery, too.

1.81/5  rDev -44.5%

Opened 12oz bottle, poured into Nonic.

Very little head that dissipates quickly, some light foam on top, some lacing on glass. Color is a hazy but bright amber.

Smell is skunk-like, even a few minutes after pouring. Some notes of citrus on smell, but skunk scent is pretty powerful.

Taste is similar to the smell. Nothing great about this beer. It forms a weird metallic aftertaste that isn't really pleasant. Maybe if I had a wedge of fruit to put in it, it would be much more palatable, but after a few sips, I can't drink anymore.

I've had other Pyramid brews before, and this one doesn't stand up to the others I've had.

2.58/5  rDev -20.9%

Meh... That's about all I can say about this beer. I had heard many good things about Pyramid Brewing Co's products, but I am sadly disappointed with this one.

Nothing special by any means... Looks like a decent hefeweizen after it is first poured, but soon after the haze fades and it looks rather bland and unappealing.

Not much more can be said about the smell or taste. A fairly uninteresting, bland beer with little spice.

2.95/5  rDev -9.5%

Peach-looking in color.
Smells much like citrusy smell to it, not really much lemon present.
Tastes a little like the smell, not as much lemon as a lot of hefes.
This beer is a more carbonated, not really an addictive mouthfeel.
I could drink a bunch of these, but I kind of wish I would have picked a different beer.

3.2/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured into a weizen glass from a 12oz. bottle. The beer pours a dark hazy straw, forming a thin 1/2 inch head which quickly faded. Very minimal spots of lace on the glass. The aroma has a very light hint of fruit aroma, mostly being of banana. Not as pronounced an aroma as other hefeweizens have shown. The flavor is also a bit on the weak side. Very light wheat and fruit taste. Light smooth mouthfeel. Average abv. and easy drinkability, make for a decent session ale. However, I would prefer a session ale to a have a bit more flavor. This beer was okay, and would be great on a summer afternoon, but overall, it was just an okay brew.

3.12/5  rDev -4.3%

A- Tangerine colored brew which is characteristically unfiltered in appearance. Nice frothy 2 finger head. This is definitely what I except to see from a hefeweizen.

S- Smell seems a bit overly sweet, apricot, banana and a mettalic tinge are present.

T- Very light doughy banana taste. Sort of a strange fruity aftertaste that I can't put my finger on. Definitely one of the lighter hefeweizens I have tasted.

M- Mouthfeel is somewhat carbonated and very light. A little too watery for my tastes.

D- This is a pretty drinkable brew, not my favorite hefeweizen by far but a good session beer.

2.99/5  rDev -8.3%

This is not my favorite style but some versions have grown on me of late. This one looked pretty inviting with a murky cider-like color and a thin head. The smell was somewhat non-descript with a bit of yeast, maybe a little lemon. The flavor comes on as more peppery with more yeast and lemon. Not overbearing at all, fairly drinkable but not something I would want to drink a lot of at one sitting. Not bad, definitely worth a try.

2.9/5  rDev -11%

12 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orange-straw color with a thick creamy white head. Doesn't have the glowing appearance of some weiss beers, but it looks alright. Leaves a tad bit of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Has a light yeasty-wheat aroma A bit of undefined fruit smell is present as well.

Taste: A very light wheat flavor, together with a bit of yeast and fruit. Nothing really standing out here, and sometimes there's a bit of sourness in the flavor.

Mouthfeel: Has a slightly tingly, light- to medium-bodied feel. A bit viscous; not very grainy.

Drinkability: Easy to drink -- no problem there. Could work as a session beer if you aren't paying too much attention to quality.

This is really just an average American Hefeweizen. It's pretty lackluster, but I have no real complaints. Some American beers claiming to be this type end up being more like an unfiltered wheat beer, while this one just ends up being... not very interesting.

3.04/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a cloudy yellow-orange color with a bubbly one finger head. The smell is mainly of the wheat with a slight tinge of yeast. Taste is initially sweet, quickly turning to bitter with a little spicey finish. Beer is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Overall, this beer is drinkable but not as flavorful as I would have liked.

3.17/5  rDev -2.8%

Found this single 12 oz bottle in a discout bin at one of the Binny's Liquor stores in Chicago for just 99 cents, and since I had already tried and liked their apricot weizen I decided to give the hefe weizen a try.

The pour produced a 2 finger white head that disappeared as fast as it formed. The color was a nice hazy apricot that left no lacing at all. The smell is a mix of fruit and yeast.

There was no banana/clove smell or taste to this one which is strange for a hefe weizen. Instead it has a sweet wheat malty flavor along with a touch of apple juice. It was easy to drink and there were no bad flavors in it, but it needs more substamce to it. It's like being given a glass of skim or 2% milk when you wanted a glass of whole milk. A bit of a watery mouthfeel but with a higher than average carbonaton level. It's OK, but it needs a stronger dose of flavors, and if there were any hops in here I sure didn't notice them.

3.62/5  rDev +11%

This beer did not have much head or retention. It had a nice wheatyy and citrusy smell. It's tasete was smell and wheaty. The only problem is that it had a little bit of an unpleasant dryness.

Mouthfeel was very crisp and a decent body. It was also pretty easy to drink. I finished it fairly fast.

2.82/5  rDev -13.5%

Appearance: Very little head and virtually no lacing. Somewhat cloudy at first, but it settles down and looks like juice halfway through drinking the beer. Apricot in color.
Smell: Bready wheat malt and yeast are dominant. Some fruit aroma that is sweet, mostly of apple.
Taste: Flavor is mild for a hefeweizen. Some yeast flavor, but the wheat malts are dominant. Some apple flavor, but little spiciness and a little watery tasting.
Mouthfeel: Sort of a watered down fuzziness.
Drinkability: Ok.

Pyramid Hefeweizen from Walnut Creek Alehouse (Pyramid)