Pyramid Thunderhead IPA - Walnut Creek Alehouse (Pyramid)

Pyramid Thunderhead IPAPyramid Thunderhead IPA

Walnut Creek Alehouse (Pyramid) visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2005)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.03/5  rDev -9.3%

Served in a tulip from a bomber.

A: Cloudy, amber body. Very little head with no lacing. It's alright but I've seen better.

S: I'm picking up a ton of malt here. There is a tiny bit of hops but the malt is very evident.

T: I'm getting some hops but nothing remarkable. It's alright. It's actually tame for an IPA.

M: Pretty standard. Hop finish is average with slight carbonation.

D: It's very drinkable. I'd rather have this than any of the macros. It wouldn't be at the top of my list outside of that.

Overall: It's a decent brew. I'd compare it to Summit because of where I live but I choose Summit first. For what it is, it's a good beer.

badmoon, Apr 05, 2009

valkyre65, Dec 13, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +7.2%

12oz bottle poured into Pyramid pint glass. Enjoy by 06-07-12.

A: Pours a clear golden color with 2 finger rocky white head. Plenty of visible bubbles. Head reduces to a thin film with plenty of lacing on the glass.

S: Nose of bread and yeast with plenty of hops. Pulling citrus and floral notes from the beer.

T: Lot more hops in the flavor than in the smell. A little hop upfront, met by ample malt before finishing with a hop aftertaste.

M: Light on the palate, average carbonation. Slightly sticky after swallowing.

Overall one of the first beers I had that I really enjoyed. Looking back at it now its still a good beer. Happy it is finally available in NY.

CloudStrife, Feb 19, 2012

1.25/5  rDev -62.6%

Shawkabukoo, Aug 14, 2012
3.6/5  rDev +7.8%

Hadn't tried this so I grabbed a 6 pack from the store:

A - Pale golden color, decent head, sticks to the glass.

S - fruity, citrusy hops, malt tones as well.

T - Somewhat complex tastes, cant quite put my finger on the fruity tastes. Not typical. Not as well balanced as I would like but interesting.

M - Medium bodied, kinda chewy, well carbonated.

D - Not quite my cup of tea but worth trying.

BeerisfoodLLC, May 28, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from the bottle a nice deep golden color into a pint style glass. Good sized green tinted head gave me the visual indication that I was in for a hoppy experience. Tis turned out to be true... sort of. The aroma was a nice earthy type hops, but vanished after the first sniff.... hmmm.
The flavor on the other hand was nice and hoppy, good bittering on the back of the tongue and little sweetness. This character remained all the way to the finish.
Tastewise a solid American IPA. It would have gotten a better score had the aroma lasted a few sniffs.

gdogalishus, Mar 14, 2006

Spaz7, Jul 08, 2013

kevgod, May 06, 2012

raythealeman, Jun 09, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

A - Gold to amber color, smallist head of small sized bubbles that dissipates quickly but does leave mild lacing on the glass. Only a small ring remains after sitting.

S - Hoped for more hop aroma. Mostly malts to my nose.

T - Taste makes up a bit for lack of smell. Has a noticeable bitterness and bite.

M - Moderate body with warm sensation.

D - This beer is good, but having had other IPAs and being partial to the type, I must say that this one is average. I would drink it again, but prefer others.

ghebel, Jan 14, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +10.8%

I'm a sucker for IPA. To me, it is really hard to screw it up. Maybe that means that I just haven't tried enough of them. I'll wear that hat. :-)

This poured a nice, even, apricot color, with a very thin head that almost evaporated. The smell was pleasant, too. Nothing terribly strong, but very pleasant. If the Yankee Candle Company made a candle that smelled like this, I'd buy one. AND I'd brag about it.

The taste was nice. The malt showed through quite clearly in the initial taste. The hoppy flavor made for a nice balance - not too strong, yet not underpowered, either.

The mouthfeel was quite disarming. It doesn't taste very warm, given the relatively high ABV. It is deceptively easy going down.

Drinkability, as mentioned above, is almost too good. I would almost go so far as to say that this would make a good session beer, except for the fact that it is 6.7% ABV. If that makes a session beer for you, then you're my new hero. I could easily knock back a few of these before I realized that it was too late to say "I shouldn't have done that."

seagis, Jan 29, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +18.3%

Appearance: nice thick large head, good retention
Smell: citrusy, common of ipas.
Taste: Hops dominate like any American IPA, yet there is good balance. Was surprised that this beer is 6.7% abv.
Mouthfeel: Refreshing, could be a little more carbonated and crisp
Drinkability: An easy IPA to drink. Very sessionable.

I like this IPA, very easy to drink. A good one to start out with.

jasonjlewis, Oct 03, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -1.8%

A- A hazy light orange/ dark yellow color. A finger's worth of head tops the beer and leaves some decent lacing. Actually I should give it more credit- very good and strong lacing.

S- Some caramel and some tropical fruit- mango, unripe pineapple, even some papaya.

T- Very bitter and quite tropical. This is really on a different side of the hops spectrum from what I typically like and I'm hard pressed to really enjoy this one. While it is resonably complex and has a lot of flavor I'm just not enjoying those flavors. There is also a hefty caramel flavor- think pecan caramel bun.

M- Lasting bitterness, and quite syrupy. This is part of what tires out my pallate.

D- I had a feeling each time I drank this beer- I got halfway through and just didn't feel like finishing it. Not a bad beer, just not the tastes that I want and strong and bitter enough that I just got tired of it before I could finish 12oz.

zdk9, May 07, 2009

Anino531, Jun 22, 2012
1.93/5  rDev -42.2%

A - Light, brilliant gold color. Decent head, which was thin and dissipated quickly.

S - Textbook IPA smell at first, not as much hop aroma as I was expecting.

T - Very spicy. I can really taste the spicyness of the hops. Over-the-top, which is acceptable for the style. Almost careless in a way. Carbonation is appropriate. As it warmed I got a very harsh fusel alcohol taste. Toward the end of the glass it tasted and smelled like rubbing alcohol. Disappointing.

M - Appropriate for the style. Nothing special or outstanding.

D - For the style it is decent. But do not drink this one warm, as the fusel taste ruins the entire experience.

Overall this one tastes like the brewmaster threw it together without refining. If this was a homebrew I would not serve it to guests, as I would be ashamed.

burtonbe, Sep 06, 2007
Pyramid Thunderhead IPA from Walnut Creek Alehouse (Pyramid)