Pyramid Amber Weizen - Walnut Creek Alehouse (Pyramid)

Pyramid Amber WeizenPyramid Amber Weizen

Walnut Creek Alehouse (Pyramid) visit their website

American Dark Wheat Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by idResponse:
1.4/5  rDev -53.5%

This is seriously one of the worst beers I have ever had. Perhaps I had a bad batch, perhaps I just don't like dark wheat ales and don't know it yet, but this is seriously a disgusting piece of Pyramid. I've liked a couple Pyramid beers but have never been all that impressed. This beer turned out to be a nightmare. It looked okay, so I picked up a six pack from the store. I got home, cracked it open, and took a whiff... then looked at the label, then smelled it again... it boasts a caramel apple flavoring... that's a caramel apple? smells like a caramel carcass. I took a swig... OH GOD I wanted to hurl. I took a few more gulps hoping it would get better. OH man is this bad. I even tried muscling my way though another 12oz bottle, hoping the first one was bad... Nope...

The rest of the week I kept trying to drink these hoping the next one would redeem the rest. Each time I had to force myself to finish it, or toss the rest of it out before I became ill. The mouthfeel was horrible, the taste was disgusting, and the drinkability was wrong.

I would seriously pick up a 211 Steel Reserve before drinking this swill.
I'm really sorry... The Curveball wasn't too bad, and their summer ales aren't so bad - but they really aren't anything special.

This beer... was BAD. I regret to inform you. I hate having to leave a bad review, but I can't overlook this. :( Sorry Pyramid. Try Harder.

idResponse, Aug 27, 2006
2.75/5  rDev -8.6%

LXIXME, Jan 02, 2014
3.8/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was interesting as I'd never had an Amber Wheat before and didn't really know what to expect.
What I got is exactly what I imagine from a Pyramid Amber Wheat.
Poured a hazy amber with a full 2 finger craggy head that melted to substantial lacing.
Aroma is malt and dough
Taste is initiallly sweet amber malt, bread, peppery spicy wheat with a slightly sweet finish.
Mouthfeel is full with tiny carbonation.
Aftertaste is of the peppery wheat and bread yeasts.
Overall, an enjoyable brew with a little more 'oomph' than the standard American Hef. fares available. Good summer cooler.

IntriqKen, May 16, 2006
2.65/5  rDev -12%

Beautiful see-through amber in color, a dissipating head that once held life. Major malts on the nose, there is also a hint of caramel and cotton candy. Sweet malts and caramel noted in the initial sips; grainy malts and a sweet granny apple like flavoring noted. Highly carbonated, struggling to get to medium bodied. The palate is left with a sweet caramel candy after-taste. The body failed to develop; a rather risky attempt on the bottle to advertise the nugget hops—they’re tough to detect, if they’re there. One last jab--an American Dark Wheat--um no! One to skip; might be ok on a 110.4 degree sticky day.

GeoffRizzo, Nov 21, 2006
2.2/5  rDev -26.9%

12 oz bottle. Enjoy by date on the label is smudged, but this is a new arrival so it’s pretty fresh.

Hazy amber with a large tan head that evaporated quickly.

Aroma was weak, sour dirty socks, caramel. Some banana comes out with vigorous agitation.

Flavor was bland. Some wheat and some light hops on the finish.

Drinkable, but boring.

Padron4KM, Jun 18, 2006

Appreance- Was very cloudy, light mud color. No head at all.

Aroma- Basically, smelled of a dark, European wheat with a dash of malt sweetness. No hops, no banana, no clove.

Taste- Not nearly as sweet as the European dark wheat. I don't know if this is a good example of an American dark wheat or not. It tasted okay.

Drinkability- Semi-refreshing. Medium body, CO2 level good.

Failry drinkable. Worht a shot.

theopholis, Feb 16, 2007
3.08/5  rDev +2.3%

An unfiltered amber wheat using several varieties of caramel malt with the wheat. Leaving this unfiltered was certainly a good choice, as it allows much more depth of flavor than the customary white-bread American wheat. This was a bit odd in the interplay of the caramel malts, wheat and yeast - producing a bit of what called to mind Belgian ale yeast flavors. It wasn't bad, but it was a little out of harmony with the rest of the beer. Overall, one I'll happily finish the six, but probably not visit again.

Brent, Dec 05, 2005
3.1/5  rDev +3%

The beer upon its release from the 12-ounce brown bottle sets in the glass an deep amber with orange high lights, somewhat hazy as there was a tad bit of sediment on the bottom, head is moderate in size, semi-creamy in texture and the color a nice light tan, after its decomposition, the lace forms a nice cling sheet on the glass. Nose has a nice malted grain aroma, sweet with a bit of fruitiness; start is lightly sweet the grain presence adequate and the top light. Finish is stern in its acidity, the hopes detectable but mild, dry lingering aftertaste, a drinkable beer, refreshing today as its 100 degrees at the moment.

Gusler, May 14, 2006
3.08/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Cloudy dark reddish brown with suspended yeast visible.Thin tan head with minimal lace.

S-Very mild nose some sweet malts and a faint apple fuitiness.

T/M-Rich and chocolaty almost like a fudge popsicle.No bitterness or hops detected,creamy smooth mouthfeel with a squeaky clean finish.

D-Kind of weird take on the style but not bad,unique at least and unoffensive.

biggred1, Apr 30, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This might be the first Dark Hefe I've had, so it is a little challenging to rate the style. But, overall, I found it to be quite nice.

The beer had a small head which dissapated quickly. The beer is an intriguing dark orange/yellow. Of course, being unfiltered, it had the usual cloudy/murky look.
The taste was quite light. Very little bitterness with a light carbonation. Quite refreshing. Also quite an easy mouthfeel. Overall, I was quite impressed and would like to try other beers in this style. I have always liked a good Hefewiezen, but this darker style is well worth the experiment. Quite drinkable.

atigerlife, Oct 04, 2005
3.03/5  rDev +0.7%

Dark amber brew with smallish head. Nice hazy appearance in the glass.

Aroma is mostly malty. The flavor is . . . also malty, but with little wheat flavor to speak of at all.

I love dark wheat beers (i.e. Aventinus and other dunkel heffeweizens), but this beer is a bit bland for it's style. It is very smooth but to me would be much improved with some citric bite. Definitely too sweet.

Also I don't like the excessively sweet weird funky aftertaste.

I normally like Pyramid beers but this one is a disappointment.

jmbranum, Nov 07, 2006
2.93/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint.

A: A little cloudy, medium-dark brown. Not really anything of a head to speak of. No lacing.

S: Wheat, yeast, and a little Italian spice. A touch of lemon, and an indistinct sweet aroma.

T: Very wheaty, with the yeasty nature of freshly baked bread. Kind of a sweet tea thing going on with the savory of clove and oregano. Pretty woody.

M: Light in body with a grainy mouthfeel. Lightly pungent yeasty aftertaste.

D: The light body makes this a refreshing brew, with only a lightly off-putting finish.

Atmosphere is pretty average. Appearance is acceptable, but no real head and no lacing. Nose is a fair combination of grain tones, with a bit of savory spice and sweetness. Flavor is wheaty, yeasty, sweet, and savory... not a poorly done combination. But does have something of a grainy feel. Overall, this is an okay quaff.

bmwats, Apr 14, 2011
2.13/5  rDev -29.2%

I never really expect 'great' beer from Pyramid Breweries, but I do expect better beer than this. From the lable I expected a rounded toasty, caramelized brew with wheaty, yeasty esters and fruitiness. Real potential for creativity and variety. This beer lacks impression straight from the bottle with a muddy copper hue and fizzy head retention. Not enough wheat character in either the visual texture or in its aromatics to promise solidarity. Tastes under-malted, under-wheated, grain-hull-like, and lightly contaminated. It lacks sweetness from caramelized malts, and lacks fruity / spicy flavors from wheat. It lacks body from the lack of a solid malt base. There persists a mild Belgian-Lambic sourness that seems to have robbed the beer of sweetness, breadiness, and body. Maybe intentional, maybe not. Fermenting this beer at a higher temperature is sure to bring on cerain characteristics like this, but I still expected the beer to stand up. We will see if other BA's taste this or not. Needless to say, I was not impressed with this beer.

BEERchitect, Jun 27, 2006

schoun, Jan 07, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beer poured a hazy deep amber, forming a nice 1 inch head, that left thick lacing on the glass. Not much in the nose. A little wheat, and a slight bit of hops. The flavor is interesting. Not much in the way of wheat, but more like sweet malt and a little citrus. Nice thick mouthfeel, with a smooth finish. Not exactly what was expected, but still tasty. I could drink a few of these in a session.

beeragent, Jan 03, 2007
2.5/5  rDev -16.9%

TexAggie011, Jan 09, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -7%

Not too impressed with this one. Poured a hazy light amber with minimal head..looked flat.
Smelled flat, some malt, some yeast, just a touch above vinegar.

Taste was not as bad. A wheat beer, without much wheat and more malt. Some bitterness, but not enough for balance.
Finishes weak, yet it does leave the mouth fairly quickly.

Mebuzzard, Sep 13, 2006
3.6/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Opaque and hazy, dark amber, reddish copper. Large bubbled head quickly dissipates. Little lacing.

S: Caramel, dark sugars, crystallized wheat, some yeastiness.

T: Sweet caramel with a mild toasted wheat follow through. Not overly sweet, it has a nice nuttiness that is very appealing.

M: Smooth, carbonation good.

D: Pretty high, though not as high as other Pyramid brews.

PiecefulToker, Jun 26, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours a light cloudy reddish orange color with a medium white head. There is a swirl of the fine yeast particles visible. Smell is subtle at first and different than any beer I've smelld before. There is some sweetness to the smell and the rest is hard to pinpoint. Perhaps its from the wheat. Not a traditional hop or malt smell... Taste is fairly smooth, and creamy for the style I think. It's very lightly hopped. Not any noteworthy bitterness but it has something different in the taste too. Maybe its just the wheat, but I don't know. Not my favorite, but not undrinkable. I actually thought this was an amber until seeing the description on this page.

JDV, Jan 31, 2008
2.55/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The serving was from a 'stubby' 12 oz. bottle, chilled and poured into a 15 oz. pilsner glass.

The pour produced a medium sized off-white head. The color is a dark 'burnt-orange' color, with evidence of cloudiness and/or sediment (definitely unfiltered). The nose is not your typical hefe weizen .. no banana/clove thing going on here. Bottle says "caramel barley malts with nugget hops". I would describe the nose as 'typical lager' .. nothing special. The taste exhibits a distinct maltiness .. no hop bite present. It comes across, therefore, as a bit on the sweet side. I would describe the mouthfeel as average, NOT thin, which I consider a plus. The finish is a continuation of the malty sweetness with little or no after taste.

This was the first beer of this style (Dark Wheat) that I've tried. While not a fan of wheat beers, I'd say this one is worth sampling.

Cheers

cooncat, Jan 29, 2006

This amber wheat falls short; since it’s my first one I don’t know if it is the style or the brew. On we go:

Glowing deep amber pour – but a fizzy, dying tan head pulls this one down. Although, the bottle conditioning yeasty sediment at bottle end brings the score back up.

Some subtle hints of banana, clove and wheat in the aroma, just not enough. Taste was also somewhat weak – just some notes of wheat and malts. I expect more from a roasted wheat brew.

Thin texture, fizzy carbonation. A decent drinker, sad that this one doesn’t have much going for it.

Vancer, Jul 07, 2006
3.7/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I dunno what everyone is complaining about, but I've never had a beer of this style so I'm no pro.

A- Dark caramel with a hint of copper rod. Some sediment and a hazy transluscency. Weak tan head

S- Smell is OK but I can see how this would turn some people off. banana/clove esters along with a sweet malt backbone.

T- Taste is like the smell but the caramel malt is more dominant and some dark fruit flavors make an appearance. Label says there are nugget hops, but I don't really get a hoppy feel except maybe in the aftertaste.

M- Feels great, I love the feel of unfiltered beer. Moderate body and smooth carbonation

D- Drinks good but I feel the ABV% should be higher

EnojysAnyBeer, Aug 18, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -12.6%

I had never seen this beer until I ran across it in the grocery store. Hefe Weizen is my favorite beer style, so I picked up a six pack of this to try and review. I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler.

Pours a cloudy nut brown color with a slight orange hue. One finger of light head dissipates quickly to a thin film. The head is not resilient or sticky. As beer goes this one is not much to look at

The smell is a little weak, but very much like a regular hefe. It has a sweet fruity aroma, with a bit of a hop smell. Not much of a roasted scent which was what I was looking/sniffing for.

The taste is also very hefe-like, with a very slight roasted grain flavor. There is some mild malt presence. It is not as robust an amber as I thought it would be. The taste is also fruity, citrusy, lemony, with a very mild hop finish. The aftertaste is very faint and short-lived.

Mouth feel is light, crisp and refreshing. It is again very reminiscent of a regular Hefe Weizen.

This is a drinkable beer. The flavors are very mild and not particularly captivating. Basically this is a very mildly roasted version of a regular hefe. I drank this one “straight” for the review, but I think a slice of lemon would enhance it’s flavor.* I would drink Amber Hefeweizen again, but I can’t find a reason to choose this over a regular Hefe Weizen.

* lemon was an improvement.

RJLarse, Feb 26, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer was hazy and copper colored, with a thin tan head. The smell was too weak to make an impact, slightly malty. No yeasty by-products I prefer from wheat beers, but then they didn't use a hefe yeast strain I think (maybe only Pyramid house yeast). The taste was kind of blandish too, more malty than not but not rich in any way. The best I can say is it's refreshing. But much more could have been done.

TurdFurgison, May 28, 2007
3.25/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy amber with a medium head. Aroma is clean, mild and toasted grain.

Taste is toasty malt, very biscuity and mild. Just a little caramel sweetness with some honey and tea flavors. Not bland but it just doesn't flash.

Mouthfeel is too thin; it says unfiltered but it sure is weak, no texture at all. Decent, even sessionable, but not inspiring.

assurbanipaul, Jun 03, 2006
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Pyramid Amber Weizen from Walnut Creek Alehouse (Pyramid)