Antebellum Ale - Craggie Brewing Company

Craggie Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 06-06-2010)

3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to jtd1969 for bringing me back a growler of this from his travels.

A - dark orangish amber with a big off white head that leaves a thick lacing

S - big molasses and spruce

T- the molasses and ginger show up first followed by a very earthy, spruce note that dominates the finish

M - medium bodied, smooth, well carbonated

This isn't a very good beer. I give it bonus points for creativity and uniqueness. I had a very hard time finishing the growler. With it's over the top spruce presence this may make a better winter ale. As it stands, I'm glad I tried it once, but I won't be looking for it again.

2.5/5  rDev -29.6%

4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

3.2/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured from a growler into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear amber color with two fingers of off white head that fades to a layer on top of the pour.

Smell: Mild herbal hops with some slightly fruity notes.

Taste: Pine hops with some caramel, molasses, and a bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a high amount of carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a very interesting pale ale. Not amazing, but still quite good.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

3.1/5  rDev -12.7%

Growler shared by Nathan last night. Thanks, friend!

Pouring a clear reddish amber with a dense, off-white head that recedes leaving a little lacing, this looks good. The nose is decent. Pine, spruce and ginger are most noticeable, and there's a mild molasses character to the nose as well. Moderately caramel-like.The palate opens with a strong blend of spruce and ginger, pungent and spicy. Moderate caramel and honey flavors follow through, with the ginger really hiding the molasses. Medium in body with soft carbonation, this feels nice on the palate, but the finish does have more ginger than I'd like. Decent, this is closer in spirit to a gruit/braggot hybrid than a traditional APA.

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Caramel orange pour with fleeting 1/2 finger head. No retention and very little lace.

Nose is pine with strong molasses. Very sweet.

Spicy molasses flavor. Hint of pine, but caramel sweetness clobbers that. Burnt caramel finish. No hops to speak of.

Feel is very thick and full of syrup.

Good one to try but maybe not get again.

3.78/5  rDev +6.5%

Thanks to my buddy Adam for bringing this brew back from his read trip.

A- A golden red color with a matte appearance. In the darker areas a woody color shows. Little to no head and no lacing.

S- Ginger is predominant with a pine aroma. There is a hint of lemon in the back ground. Malt is definitely discernible.

T- Ginger leads the charge with a resiny back drop. Malt follows it up like juggernaut and takes over the experience. The aftertaste had a floral hint to it.

M- I felt like I could actually chew the malt in this brew it was that strong. it coated all corners of my mouth especially the tongue.

D- A pretty easy brew to drink, I appreciate an ale with hints of ginger in it, but the malt was overpowering, and severely hindered my enjoyment.

3.3/5  rDev -7%

Served from growler given to me as a gift. Very little head or lacing ( I always wander how long these store bought growlers have been on the shelf ). Taste is a very unique mixture as better described by some of the other advocates. It wasn't bad but just different. Definitely a holiday beer with winter flavor. I am not sure I could have more of these, although it may be one of those beers that takes some refining of the palate to appreciate.

2.78/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Delicately hazed, deep amber-hued body with a light, tight, white head.

Smell: AA smells of processed ginger, spruce-scented votives, and tangy, smokey blackstrap molasses.

Taste: Initial slip of tartness and a curious taste of gamey smoked meat glazed with molasses and sorghum. Some perceived 'heat' from powderized ginger and a touch of spicy spruce. Sweetish, gingery finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium-low carbonation.

Drinkability: It's the beer I was most looking forward to at Craggie and the only one I was dismayed by. An odd, clunky mix of disjointed flavors, though I'll probably revisit this one, in hopes of a better experience.

4.05/5  rDev +14.1%

Antebellum Ale, on tap at Craggie Brewing Company during my last trip to Asheville. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Arrives a hazed, coppery amber orange, capped by half of one finger of quickly fading, tawny head. Retention leaves a little to be desired, though the thin surface dusting, thick collar, and voluminous streaks and dollops of side stick are fairly nice.

Aroma: Ginger dominates the nose on this one, with some sweet, toffee-like backing notes providing a nice foundation. Hints of pine and fruit emerge as this one warms.

Taste: Festive! A very flavorful brew, with definite notes of ginger and spruce intermingling excellently with a sweet, roasty backing malt bill. Tastes like what one would imagine Christmas would taste like, spicy and piney, and everything works surprisingly well.

Mouthfeel: This beer's best aspect. A wonderfully smooth, even, and soft body with enough fluffy, crisp components to touch on the best of both worlds.

Drinkability: One of the better pale ales I've had lately. CBC has struck upon a really interesting combination of notes here, and, though I can't comment on this one's historical authenticity, I don't think I really need to. At 5.0%, I could see myself putting away a few of these - maybe with gingersnaps?

2.6/5  rDev -26.8%

I didnt get a chance to try this beer while at the brewpub a few months ago,to be honest I wish I hadnt picked up the growler today.Poured a murky burnt orange with no head to speak of,looked flat.Ginger and more ginger in the nose,the molasses shows itself as well.Flavors of industrial cleaner smacked my taste buds,the raw ginger flavors were just harsh and really didnt let any other flavors come thru,the spruce tips lent a herbal note to the finish but it just was a bit unpleasant.I hate to give this beer such a harsh review,the other beers I had at the brewpub were well made and enjoyable,but this was just harsh.

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Served from tap at the brewery into a sampler Willi glass. Poured red-orange with a minimal white head. There was no lacing evident throughout. The aroma was comprised of malt, cloves, and subtle hop. The flavor was of malt, clove, and ginger. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall not a bad brew at all. It was definitely a strange take on the ale, but not a in a bad way. The ginger and clove definitely surprised me when I picked up on them in my glass. This one is worth trying so you can judge for yourself.

4.3/5  rDev +21.1%

Growler shared by Brodie - thanks!

Pours a clear amber color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of grainy caramel malts with good amounts of pine and sweet molasses aromas.

Tastes very good. Grainy and mildly dry caramel malt flavors kick things off and are joined almost immediately by good amounts of earthy pine flavors. Shortly thereafter the flavors sweeten a bit with the addition of light molasses flavors before ginger hits the palate. The ginger flavors dominate through to a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this was a very unique beer - and a polarizing one at that. I found it very refreshing but be warned that the ginger influence is there in force. Worth a shot.

An 1840's American recipe using water, yeast, molasses, ginger and spruce tips. The ingredients from the historical drink have been adapted into a flavorful modern day beer incorporating malt and hops. ABV 5.0%

My first chance to try this much talked about beer up in the area, I had it both on tap and as a beer float this weekend.

The pour was an ice medium amber with a tight, well formed head of eggshell color on top. Great retention and continous carbonation bubbling up from the bottom of the glass left me very happy. Aroma is sweet, caramel, hints of minty like spice notes, spruce I am guessing and a definite almost gingerbread like cookie flavor. Really quite rich for the style and so different from anything else I have had. Very sweet again on the finish and way to easy to session, this thing was great.

Overall this was a real trip. Not really sure how to categorize it but this is something that should be tried for sure.

Antebellum Ale from Craggie Brewing Company