Burning Barrel - Craggie Brewing Company

good

Craggie Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: atsprings on 01-19-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.45/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Pours an opaque very dark brown (almost black) in color with some reddish brown highlights and light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a quarter finger tall light beige head that quickly reduces to a very thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of roasted malts with lighter notes of cocoa, vanilla, toffee, and some very light notes of bourbon and oak.

T: Light flavors of roasted malts with a light amount of toffee sweetness and some cocoa. There are even lighter notes of vanilla, oak, and bourbon. Very slight smokey peppery notes in the finish from the chipotle - just a touch of heat as the beer warms.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with light amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: I really wish that the oak, bourbon, and chipotle pepper came through a little more strongly - very nice in concept but the aromas/flavors are just a little too subtle. Enjoyable but not something I would go out of my way to find again.

dbrauneis, Nov 24, 2012

HipHopinHooligan13, Oct 30, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

zekeman17, Oct 07, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

genogirl, Sep 28, 2012

orangesol, Aug 18, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -3.1%

Growler purchased from Bestway in Greensboro on 7/7/12. Poured on 7/9/12.

A - deep, dark brown with a reddish hue; bubbly, fizzy, brownish head that quickly fades away

S - oak, vanilla, brown sugar, alcohol

T - oak, vanilla, alcohol, roasted malts, faint chile powder, faint sweetness, mild bitterness in the finish; there's a very faint heat in the finish

M - medium to full bodied, well carbonated

This has potential but it is way over oaked. The oak is overpowering and doesn't let what is probably a decent porter shine through. The chile is noticeable and adds a light spiciness to the flavor and finish. This would be alright to try once. Unfortunately, I have an entire growler to work through...

tdm168, Jul 09, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

OldTime, Jun 19, 2012
2.98/5  rDev -16.3%

I wanted to enjoy Burning Barrel Porter more than I am able to. I generally like porters brewed in the Asheville, NC area, and I also generally enjoy Craggie brewing's other offerings.

I poured a glass from a growler I got at an Ingles grocery store. There is very little head, and no lacing that I could see. The color while pouring is a dark brown with some cloudiness. In the glass it is nearly black.

I would describe this offering as starting nearly like you would expect a porter to, but with a thinner mouthfeel and less sweetness. There are the chocolate and coffee notes that you would expect. There is a sensation as if you added to each glass a few drops of something sour and a bittering agent. It does not taste vinegary or lemony, but there is a sour component here.

My philistine pallet is not able to detect chile flavors, but this sourness must be coming from something and I am going to assume it is the barrel chips.

This is definitely not a bad beer, but I would have to say that for local Western North Carolina offerings I would prefer Green Man's porter or Asheville Brewing's Ninja porter.

As a point of curiosity I have noticed in other reviews that people have noticed in their pours a full head and significant lacing. I have to wonder if there might be some inconsistency from batch to batch?

humbabba, Apr 02, 2012
3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Had on draft at Mellow Mushroom in Johnson City, TN.

Slightly hazy dark brown with a smallish off-white head.

Smells of caramel and some roasted malt along with a light hint of chili powder.

The taste is full of caramel and vanilla presumably from the bourbon barrel. A light touch of wood along with some roasted malt. Chilies are there but in the background with a low warming in the back of the throat after the finish.

Overall this was a pretty tasty beer. I really enjoyed the bourbon characteristics and the warming from the chillies.

rangerred, Mar 13, 2012

RedneckBeerz, Feb 16, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +11%

A: Pours a dark brown that tries to convince me it's actually black.  Gentle highlights appear when held to light.  A small tan head rises and falls quickly, leaving behind minimal lacing on the edges of the glass.

S: Really nice aroma.  Starts out sweet with some chocolate and toffee with some roasted barley and hops in the background.  Bourbon and chili peppers are very subtle, but are noticeable as it begins to warm.

T: The taste follows the aroma quite well.  Sweet chocolate, toffee, and vanilla up front with the warm bourbon, roasted barley, and hops in the background.  Excellent balance between the two profiles.  Chilies are not really noticeable in the flavor, but come out stronger than predicted in the throat, creating a nice warmth and a gentle bite.

M: Lighter side of medium-bodied, which was a bit of a disappointment, but it's still a bit creamy and tingly.  Great transition from sweet to bitter/warm with a nice drying effect and bit in the throat.

D: This was the first Craggie beer I've had, and I was quite impressed.  Good balance, nice flavors, and an ok feel.  I would have liked a bit more viscosity, but as is, it was still very enjoyable.

Mississipping, Jan 09, 2012

Ryan011235, Jan 05, 2012

CGMLS3, Dec 09, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -12.1%

On tap at the Village Pub in Inglewood

A ruby-tinged black pour with minimal head, retention and lace leads to a nose of robust earthy malt, coffee, raisin and cashew. Besides the raisin note, I couldn't really detect anything to do with chili peppers and the bourbon was no where to be found. Med-bodied palate has a moderate bitterness and tastes intensely like coffee grounds up front and turns towards a leathery-raisiny spice as the finish picks up a nice bit of pleasant pepper-burn.

Overall not terrible, but with bourbon barrel and chili pepper in the description, but not all that prominent in the beer (especially the barrel), it certainly didn't live up to expectations. A shame too because I've never had a chili beer that blew me away, and I think a bourbon barrel addition could be just perfect. Nice try, but try again.

TheWhiskerReview, Dec 07, 2011

tclapper, Dec 03, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

brown porter emerged from the bottle with a huge billowing four inch head of foam in its wake. Enormous retention left this one hanging back for what seemed like forever, and even after it started to settle,

Started out very sweet, with nice notes of chocolate and sugar running through it. Not at all what I was expecting. Some touches of vanilla and a bit of coffee as well coming through. There was a slight bit of pepper way in the back but it was not dominating by any means.Sweet milk chocolate and sugar a tingle on the tongue, a warming in the throat and a fire in the belly. Subtly the chili comes through, warming you as it goes, but by no means is this too big

mikesgroove, Nov 27, 2011

DoctorB2B, Nov 19, 2011

NCbeerpirate, Nov 17, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

Tap at Craggie. About black pour, finger of off white head. Looks like enough.

Aroma, mix of some belgain fruits and toasted malt. Wet wood.

Some tarter fruit, reds and apple up front. Light roast, malt, chocolates after. Pepper does show up in the throat. Never quite sure what to make of these. Giving it the bump for the intersting nature of it.

Just the light side of medium bodied, carbonation was well done. No alc heat but there from the pepper.

Up there with the stone offerings as the best pepper brew, but that's about it. A one and done I'm afraid.

Bung, Sep 04, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Big thanks goes out to the person who shared this one during the ORF '11 release (if this was you, let me know and I will give you proper credit!)! Served from growler into a sampler snifter. Poured dark brown with a minimal off-white head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wood, smoked meat, and smoke. The flavor was of sweet malt, wood, subtle smoke, and smoked meat. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. Based on the latest reviews of growlers this one seems to have fallen off sharply upon being growlered. I had this one on-tap awhile back at the brewery and found it to be quite enjoyable. Just didn't have the same feeling on this one in the growler. A lot of the flavors were very light on this one as it almost tasted watered-down in a way. Worth trying for the tick, but that is about it on the growler.

thagr81us, Aug 16, 2011
1.43/5  rDev -59.8%

Poured into New Belgium globe from shared growler purchased at Bruisin' Ales.

A- Poures black with burgundy corners into the glass. A very vigorous pour from a fresh growler gave almost a cm head for a split second. The beer pretty much pours a dead looking liquid that isn't all that appetizing. Usually hard for me to go under a 3 for appearance, but this one does it.

S- Alright... this is where my sanity among the BA community comes into question; but hear me out. This beer has that distinct awkward aroma of the liquid secretion from a dog's anal glands... haha, I'm not kidding. It's so messed up. I asked my girlfriend to take a whiff and she completely agreed. And I'm not talking about the feces itself- this beer does NOT smell like poo. It is the very different aroma that each dog excretes with their poo (also the aroma that causes them to sniff each other's butts to say hello)... Call me crazy, but I'm serious on this one

T/M- Now that I am finally somehow past the aroma to take a drink; its only marginally better. To begin any flavor that may be contained in this beer is incredibly watered down. I don't get any roasted, toasted, chocolate, etc malts at all. There is a tiny warmth on the end of the palate from the chilis. And if I tried reallly hard to be imaginitive while drinking this I could say it had some oak woodiness. As it warmed I did get a bit of a sweet nuttiness that finally came out to say hello. Otherwise- nothing. Very thin body (again, watery) and practically no carbonation.

O- Missed the mark. I really think the aroma instantly killed any chance I had at enjoying the flavor of this beer. Though the growler did open with a fresh hiss, maybe it wasn't sealed enough and that's what lead to the lack of carbonation and watery feel? I really don't know and I'm not sure I care. I gave this beer a chance but ended up drainpouring it after about 3 sips and letting it warm in my hand for 20 minutes. I think I just had such high expectations for what this could be... Sad day but it does get an extra .5 point for trying something that you don't get in every beer

TheGordianKnot, Jul 25, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Attractive beer. Dark brown in color with a massive light tan head with lot's of texture. Good aroma of roasted malts but it's missing the bourbon smell and has a faint chemical aroma that's a bit off. Good overall porter flavors of roasted malts, the chili adds a nice touch with out being too overpowering. Boubon is very faint. Mouthfeel is a bit thin. Overall it's a good beer that could use a bit of refining here and there.

wcudwight, May 30, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -10.7%

A: Pours a dark mahogany with ruby tint and two fingers of off-white head that recedes into a ring with a little lacing.

S: Roasted malts with some sweet chocolate notes. There are some vanilla and faint bourbon aromas in there as well.

T: Some roasted roasted malt and chocolate flavors at first, though surprisingly subtle. Oak and dry bourbon flavors follow with a slight kick from the chillies that leaves a little burn on the throat.

M: Medium body and carbonation, the chillies make this beer feel dry and crisp, which is a bit odd.

O: An interesting, but not all that great beer. I applaud such a new brewery experimenting so much, though the effort was not particularly successful. A thicker body with more roasted malt and bourbon flavors would make this beer much better.

n2185, May 25, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -17.7%

Grabbed this growler in Asheville at Bruisin' Ales

A - dark brown almost black body with a small off white head.

S - A light dark malt aroma, some chocolate notes and a bit of smoke. Some peppery burn I think its noticeable but no hints of bourbon barrel.

T - A bit of a let down.... certainly some woody notes, a bit of a pepper flavor in the finish, smokey. Mostly smoke and char some peppery burn. I dunno I expected more from this

M - medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation.

O - Something about this beer just doesn't work for me. i'm not getting the chocolate flavors I love in porters and I'm certainly not getting any bourbon notes. I don't see myself trying this one again.

jpmclaug, May 05, 2011