Burning Barrel - Craggie Brewing Company

good

Craggie Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: atsprings on 01-19-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
2.93/5  rDev -18.2%

Grabbed this growler in Asheville at Bruisin' Ales

A - dark brown almost black body with a small off white head.

S - A light dark malt aroma, some chocolate notes and a bit of smoke. Some peppery burn I think its noticeable but no hints of bourbon barrel.

T - A bit of a let down.... certainly some woody notes, a bit of a pepper flavor in the finish, smokey. Mostly smoke and char some peppery burn. I dunno I expected more from this

M - medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation.

O - Something about this beer just doesn't work for me. i'm not getting the chocolate flavors I love in porters and I'm certainly not getting any bourbon notes. I don't see myself trying this one again.

jpmclaug, May 05, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +10.3%

A-Pours very dark brown, nearly black. There was no head to speak of.

S-Coffee, chocolate, heavily roasted malt, and some smoke.

T-Very smoky, chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, with some pepper notes left on the back of the throat. It tasted like a camp fire to be honest. I wasn't that fond of the flavor, but it was complex.

M-About right for the style as it was pretty complex.

D-I couldn't drink more than a pint of this because it was just too smoky for me personally.

Overall, very interesting beer, but just not for me.

thegodfather2701, May 02, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +7%

64 oz growler into a couple of pint glasses.

Pours a clear dark ruby in the glass, with a finger of foamy mocha colored head. This retains with a thin foaminess, leaving back spotty lacing that quickly slides down the sides of the glass. The aroma is a sticky smelling mix of mellow bourbon flavors, vanilla, toffee, and cocoa sweetness. Those peppers undercut the other flavors a bit, giving off a light spicy warmth in the nostrils.

The taste has a firm base to it of caramel, chocolate, and roasted malts, with a smooth vanilla smoothness that mingles in, and then light kisses of bourbon flavor throughout. This finishes with warming peppery character, which lingers on the breath for a bit after each sip. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a soft creaminess up front, before laying down more a sharp prickly feel down on the tongue. This does thin out a bit towards the back but the overall feel here isn’t too bad at all.

Well this beer was definitely as advertised and I really like how the flavors worked here, with the chipotle notes complimenting the bourbon and then the vanilla flavors from the oak melding well with that base Porter. While I enjoyed this, I think that one glass was about good for me, as I had two full pints out of the growler and the second was honestly a bit of a struggle. Being new to me, I’ll definitely be checking out some of the other offerings from Craggie Brewing as well.

Kegatron, Apr 14, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the growler a deep chocolate brown with garnet hue,a very thin wispy beige head atop.Light aromas of some bitter chocolate,light yeasty phenols,and coffe roast.Sweeter molasses flavors at the onset with some unsweetened chocolate,the chipotle comes in the finish and kicks in atthe back of the throat,mouthfeel is lightly carbonated and light to medium.This is a winter seasonal so maybe this growler has lost a little punch but this beer seems to lack some of that mentioned punch in my mind.

oberon, Apr 14, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +8.9%

Growler shared by Paul - thanks!

Pours a dark brown color with a half-finger tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of heavy roasted malts with hints of cocoa powder and lighter hints of peppers. As the beer warms slight amounts of vanilla make an appearance but the roasted malt and chocolate aromas dominate.

Tastes better balanced than it smells. Smooth roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by light amounts of vanilla and oak. Midway through the sip the flavors smooth out further with the addition of light chocolate. The peppers come into play near the end of the sip, carrying through to a moderately bitter ending and leaving a bit of heat on the back of the palate.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with decent carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall I thought the peppers were nicely done - not too overpowering. Additionally, the oak chips were nicely integrated. An interesting beer that didn't blow me away but was a nice surprise nonetheless.

glid02, Mar 05, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +11.2%

On-tap at the Craggie Public House served in a Willis glass a deep not quite opaque black with a thin diminishing head. Aroma is brown malts, mild oak and just a hint of chipotle. The taste is a nice blend of dark malts, vanilla, oak and mild chipotle warmth. The beer is on the light side of medium with mild carbonation, and I feel like the heat from the chipotle will be more noticeable as I finish the pint. This is a very interesting and enjoyable beer, one I can certainly see picking up a growler of in the near future.

atsprings, Jan 19, 2011