Dark Marzen - Brauereigasthof Rothenbach Sonnenhof

Dark Marzen
No picture uploaded.

Brauereigasthof Rothenbach Sonnenhof visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: John_M on 01-24-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by ThirstyBird:
ThirstyBird

Germany

4.25/5  rDev +1%

On cask at NERAX
Appears clear reddish brown. Fine light tan head stays as a nice skim layer. The smell is of sweet roasted malt, bready and the crisp German hops. I also get caramel and a nuttiness as well.
This brew was one of my favorites at the fest. The taste is caramel, sweet malt mixed nicely with the mild hop bitterness. This is a very nicely put together marzen. The body is medium it had nice carbonation with is fine in structure making it very smooth and silky. This is a very lovely brew that I would enjoy drinking again.

Serving type: cask

03-26-2010 16:33:35 | More by ThirstyBird
John_M

Oregon

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

I apologize for not including more information, but this was all I could get from the menu at Max's the other day. Also, I know the abv. is in the 5% range, but I forgot to write down the exact abv. Suffice it to say, the alcohol level was not excessivly high and seemed fairly typical for a German marzen. Hopefully someone else at some point can update my data inclusion for this beer.

The beer pours a solid gold color with decent head retention and lacing. The nose is all German lager, with bread dough and honey. It's really quite attractive. Flavors replicate the nose in this moderately sweet beer, but with just a hint of refreshing bitterness on the finish. Mouthfeel is fairly light, although the beer has plenty of flavor. Alcohol is no more then an after thought in this lovely beer, and I'd happily drink steins of this all day. Really a very nice beer.

I gather the word "dark" has a different meaning then what we associate it with in the states. Had several "dark marzens" at Max's today, and all of them were golden in color. Also, I have to say I was just amazed with the freshness and liveliness of all the gravity fed German beers I sampled. Hopefully these will someday become a staple here in the states, as I really prefer these beers to the same animal on gas.

Serving type: cask

01-24-2010 14:07:59 | More by John_M
Dark Marzen from Brauereigasthof Rothenbach Sonnenhof
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.