Dark Marzen - Brauereigasthof Rothenbach Sonnenhof

No picture.

pDev: n/a
Brauereigasthof Rothenbach Sonnenhof visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  ABV ?

Beer added by: John_M on 01-24-2010

Reviews by ThirstyBird:
4.23/5  rDev n/a

On cask at NERAX
Appears clear reddish brown. Fine light tan head stays as a nice skim layer. The smell is of sweet roasted malt, bready and the crisp German hops. I also get caramel and a nuttiness as well.
This brew was one of my favorites at the fest. The taste is caramel, sweet malt mixed nicely with the mild hop bitterness. This is a very nicely put together marzen. The body is medium it had nice carbonation with is fine in structure making it very smooth and silky. This is a very lovely brew that I would enjoy drinking again. (537 characters)

4.17/5  rDev n/a

I apologize for not including more information, but this was all I could get from the menu at Max's the other day. Also, I know the abv. is in the 5% range, but I forgot to write down the exact abv. Suffice it to say, the alcohol level was not excessivly high and seemed fairly typical for a German marzen. Hopefully someone else at some point can update my data inclusion for this beer.

The beer pours a solid gold color with decent head retention and lacing. The nose is all German lager, with bread dough and honey. It's really quite attractive. Flavors replicate the nose in this moderately sweet beer, but with just a hint of refreshing bitterness on the finish. Mouthfeel is fairly light, although the beer has plenty of flavor. Alcohol is no more then an after thought in this lovely beer, and I'd happily drink steins of this all day. Really a very nice beer.

I gather the word "dark" has a different meaning then what we associate it with in the states. Had several "dark marzens" at Max's today, and all of them were golden in color. Also, I have to say I was just amazed with the freshness and liveliness of all the gravity fed German beers I sampled. Hopefully these will someday become a staple here in the states, as I really prefer these beers to the same animal on gas. (1,291 characters)

Dark Marzen from Brauereigasthof Rothenbach Sonnenhof
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.