True South Coconut Telegraph Porter - True South Brewery

pDev: n/a
True South Brewery
Australia

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: lacqueredmouse on 08-07-2012)
Reviews by laituegonflable:
3.68/5  rDev n/a

Pours a largely dark-brown colour with a slight red tinge. Tan head, foamy with a decent thickness to it. Could be darker-browner, but nice.

Sweet aroma with masses of coconut. Actually puts me in mind of Malibu as the sweetness is prevalent. Vanilla, liqueury sweet. It's a good thing I bloody love coconut because this could be off-putting otherwise. To me though, it's gorgeous.

Lots of sweet coconut upfront on the palate as well. Very nice coconut and vanilla with a slight undercurrent of cocoa. Unfortunately the flavours don't last, and the palate pulls up quite short to finish slightly watery. Nice flavours but they fade away quickly. Still pleasant.

Sadly thin on the body. Could use a bit more of a syrupy feel especially towards the back. More oomph needed, maybe.

I adore coconut so I'm probably not the best judge. I do love the flavours, but overall the beer seems a bit lacking.

3.83/5  rDev n/a

Had on-tap at the GABS festival in Melbourne (as an aside, I believe with this review, I've entered my last for the festival, only 3 months late!).

Pours a reddish black-brown colour with surprising clarity. Body is firm, supporting a beige-brown fine, filmy head that provides excellent lacing. Looks really good.

Nose is almost insane with coconut: paint-stripping coconut essence or buckets of compressed Malibu. It's like green coconut water. It's intense. There's no roast to go with it at all, this is just about the coconut, and it's exaggerated and over-the-top.

Surprisingly light entry leads to a welling of bright, brittle coconut sweetness. Stacks of coconut milk on the finish, leaving it semi-fragrant and slightly rich. Again, there's not much sign of the roasted characters suggested in the look, but by this stage you get what it's pushing. Yeah, these guys like coconut.

Feel is smooth and decent enough.

Overall? C'mon, show me some interplay, show me some contrast and complexity. This is just coconut, coconut, coconut. It needs some roastedness, some "porter" of some description besides the look of the thing. Blast me with something else as well and then you can blast me with coconut.

True South Coconut Telegraph Porter from True South Brewery
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.