Freckle Belly IPA - Back Forty Beer Co.

Freckle Belly IPAFreckle Belly IPA

good

Back Forty Beer Co. visit their website
Alabama, United States

(Beer added by: Shumania on 07-20-2012)

Dub12588, Jun 30, 2014

Jonbw, May 21, 2013

JayS2629, Feb 17, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Took home a growler of Freckle Belly IPA from Back Forty Beer. Purchased from Hop City in Birmingham. After trying the bottled version, I was looking foward to trying the draft. All I can say is that it does not dissapoint. Freckle Belly IPA is one of the best IPA's you'll ever taste. It's malty, hoppy, and delicious. There's an oily mouthfeel with citrus notes. This beer is very drinkable. Keep up the good work Back Forty Beer! Alabama is becoming an IPA lovers paradise.

BeerMark, Mar 31, 2013

immobileman, May 22, 2013

Bustersuess, May 14, 2013
Photo of
4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Feb 26, 2013

CorgiDad, Feb 21, 2014

Jax42, Aug 08, 2012

wmc0005, Jul 26, 2012
4.13/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A -Poured from a bomber into a pint glass dark amber with a thick, creamy, off-white, two-finger head that receded into a tight cap. Thin slick lacing.

S - Nice and hoppy with a touch of grapefruit and a bit of pepper.

T - Big ole biscuits! Pepper with a touch of tinny alcohol.

M - Medium-bodied, with a good bit of aftertaste following the aforementioned alcohol.

O - Great smelling, great looking beer that only fell slightly short of very good in the taste department due to the tinge of alcohol versus a grassy finish typical of my favorite genre.

maleman, Feb 16, 2013
4.11/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: clear honey colored. White and frothy head. Thick messy lacing. A gorgeous brew.
Smell: 5 types of hops and it pays off. Pine, fruit, and citrus (plagiarizing from the b40 site but, that nails it. Redolent hops and nicely balanced with the malts.
Taste: much like the nose while just falling short of measuring up to it. Nevertheless, a standout.
Overall: my first b40. Tried it mostly because their "right up the road". Also I gotta admit I'm a little weary of the zillion ipa's poppin up everywhere. This was a very pleasant surprise.

cindyjeffsmith, Mar 30, 2013
4.04/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This IPA is brewed about 20 miles from my hometown in Alabama. It is for that reason that I am very skeptical about it. About the only IPA I could find the last time I was back home was Torpedo from Sierra Nevada. Not that Torpedo is bad, but it was the ONLY IPA I could find at all.

When I was told about a local restaurant/brewery offering an IPA, I rolled my eyes. Upon reading some reviews here at B.A., I decided to go to Gadsden, AL and make the purchase. I remain skeptical, but here we go.

12 Ounce bottle poured into a cheap, dollar-store snifter. Bottle says "best before 5/16/13.

A- Pours a hazy copper with about an inch of off-white foam. Head starts to dissipate quickly, lacing is evident immediately. Very nice looking brew.

S- The smell is more malt than hops, with a sweet, fresh-baked bread aroma. There is a slight, and I mean slight, smell of citrus. Otherwise unremarkable for the style.

T- Oh my! The bitterness is right where you want it for an IPA. This is somewhere close to Sculpin or Bell's Two Hearted on the taste. Too bad the aroma is not as impressive. The very first thing I taste is a malty biscuit sweetness, but that is immediately replaced with bitterness of grapefruit and hops. The finish is very bitter, almost like Green Flash. This IPA is more or less a West Coast style, but Bama is on the Gulf Coast and Gadsden is in the mountains, so maybe this is a style of its own.

M- Starts with carbonation bite, but turns oily and soft before/during the swallow. Leaves a bitterness on the back of the throat that makes me feel thirsty for more.

O- I am very surprised and impressed. The last time I had a beer brewed in Alabama, it was brewed in my closet and it made a few people sick. I still have not eaten at Back Forty Beer Co, but after trying their IPA, I might just give them a shot on my next trip down from Baltimore. I hope to see this brew sitting next to DFH and Bells in Maryland sometime soon. It is a great representation of the craftmanship of the folks from back home. I am certainly glad I didnt have to trash it!

HoppySailor, Apr 12, 2013

tweezer159, Jun 29, 2013
Freckle Belly IPA from Back Forty Beer Co.