ParTea Pale Ale - Prism Brewing Company

pDev: 20%
Prism Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

English Pale Ale |  5.50% ABV

In making our signature pale ale we knew we wanted to do something different. We needed something that stood out, complimented the subtlety of our english pale ale, and said we will be a pale ale like no other – whole leaf tea was the perfect ingredient. We use whole leaf black tea to add a subtle tea flavor and aroma. A refreshing and dry mouth feel give this beer a smooth finish & a unique bitterness. An incredible amount of tea goes into this beer so much so our brewers have a tough time getting the whole leaf tea out when done (picture the tea party men tossing chests of tea overboard). We named it ParTea Pale Ale because the flavors seen to dance on your tongue and they party all night.

Looking for a Pale Ale with something more? Look no further.

(Beer added by: Slatetank on 06-13-2010)
1.4/5  rDev -56.3%

A - I drank a little from a bottle before drainpouring. Appearance gets a 3.0 because I couldn't really see it.

S - Some tea, not really many beer scents. Not a fan.

T - Atrocious. The worst beer I've ever put in my mouth. 2 friends tried it and nearly gagged. It's disgusting how bad the aftertaste is. There are tea flavors and some generic beer flavors. I don't even now how to describe it. Just some malt mixed poorly with tea I guess.

M - Carbonated fine, no alcohol. Just unpleasant aftertaste and taste in general making the whole thing unpleasant.

O - Worst beer I've ever had. At least macros are tolerable since they don't taste like much. This stuff tastes horrible. Never try, and certainly never buy.

nrs207, Jun 04, 2012

mportnoy, Jan 07, 2013

GeorgeCarroll, Aug 27, 2014

Giantspace, Jan 09, 2012
1.7/5  rDev -46.9%

Draft pour served in a standard pint glass.

Appearance- A nice amber color typical of style. Not perfectly clear but slight haze is not off putting at all. Head dissipates quickly with no lacing left on glass.

Smell- Subtle and intriguing but some phenolic notes that should not be present in this style. Pleasing hints of lemon and grassy aromas sit up front but something doesn't seem quite right.

Taste- I would say that the main problem is too much astringency from the tea but I can't get over the flavors I know were caused by an improper fermentation temp or lax sanitation. Too many fermentation byproducts whatever the cause. Very few malt flavors present and no pleasant hop bite, just astringent band-aids.

Mouthfeel- Carbonation level is really low. This is a fresh keg at proper pressure and all other drafts on same system are well carbed. Slight slickness almost makes me queasy. This feels like extract homebrew. The body is just not there. I'm starting to remember tasting another beer from General Lafayette that I can't remember the name of that had the same problem.

Drinkability- I'll drink it because I paid for it.

Conclusion- I've tasted worse beers. This has some makings of a decent brew. The idea is intriguing but the execution seems haphazard. If they could just get a cleaner fermentation and improve the body it might end up being something I'd enjoy, but the off flavors are too prevalent to not call this a purely amateur mess.

rossmctostadas, Aug 09, 2010

ejimhof, Dec 25, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -21.9%

touchmeimsac, May 20, 2013
2.68/5  rDev -16.3%

A: Quite dark for a Pale Ale. Almost the color of watered down iced tea. AN off white head tops it off. One fingers worth.

S: Light herbal notes on the nose. The hops come through but are in the background. Light orange and grapefruit along with the herbals.

T: Taste is a bit off. I can't quite pin point it but i thinks it's from the tea that's used. It's almost an astringency that out shines any hop profile thats present. Like with the nose, there's an herbal quality in the forefront.

M: Medium bodied. Seemed a bit heavy for the style. Carbonation was good.

Overall: Not a great beer. Maybe a recipe tweak would help. This was my first beer from Prism and i wasn't impressed.

BigMike, Apr 07, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -14.1%

srw, Oct 05, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -14.1%

racingkenny14, May 03, 2013

SpectralAbyss, Sep 22, 2012

curlybird, Jul 22, 2014

Seen this at the Wegmens and thought I'd give it a try.
Pours a cloudy amber color with a super tall off white head. It's very much carbonated and thus the head never fades.
Aroma was malts and sort of a strange weird smell that was off putting.
Taste bad
I like to support the local bew brewers in the SEPA area but this just a bad beer.

micromaniac129, Dec 22, 2012

djrn2, Mar 24, 2014

DLS168, Feb 09, 2014

SpillyBeers, Jan 07, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance
Slighty hazy gold with 2 fingers of head. Low carbonation and nice clouds of lacing.

Nose
Very strange apple juice aromas.

Taste
Again, these apple juice aromas are in the forefront. Dirty caramel backing. Earthy hop flavors along with notes of lemon zest. Whoosh! There it is! Earl Grey Tea! There also seems to be touches of tangerine, grape and bubblegum.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, crisp and clean. Light-medium bitterness.

Overall
This is a pretty strange beer but give it a chance. The more I drink, the more it grows on me. Those weird apple flavors slowly fade and it starts tasting more like an English Style Pale Ale. The tea flavors slowly strengthen. Very earthy and refreshing.

justintcoons, Nov 16, 2012