ParTea Pale Ale - Prism Brewing Company

ParTea Pale AleParTea Pale Ale

Prism Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

English Pale Ale |  5.50% ABV

Looking for a Pale Ale with something more? Look no further.

(Beer added by: Slatetank on 06-13-2010)

djrn2, Mar 24, 2014
3.58/5  rDev +12.2%

I had this at Capone's served on tap in a standard pint.

A - A pale golden with amber highlights and minimal cap of white

S - The scent is tea-like, herbal and has some elements of sorachi ace's lemony aroma

M - the feel is quenching, like tea with a moderately high level of astringency as if you made a pale with lemon zest and juice of lemons like how an Arnold Palmer is half lemonade/tea - this has a pale/lemon tea feel

T - The flavor follows the nose however the astringency is stronger in the flavor than expected and the malt is low in the taste letting the tea and sorachi ace take the reigns and the medium carbonation is not a benefit as that might lift the lemon peel flavor and make it seem more balanced, but it drinks like a summer ale with tea instead of hops

D - I enjoyed this beer - it has a tasty tea base, but could use some tweaking to balance the strong herbal notes of the tea and sorachi and astringency could be dialed down a bit IMO.

Slatetank, Jun 13, 2010
3.2/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

First had: on tap at Prism

I didn't really think this one was too bad in and of itself. Is it something I'd drink more than once? Probably not. But in the unlikely chance a beer-tea hybrid appeals to you, then this one delivers. Poured a hazy copper color with a white ringlet. Aroma of pale malts, tea, light citrus, mildly soapy. The tea comes out in a big way in the taste, and pretty much overpowers all else, with some crackery malts and earthy / herbal hops in there. Mouthfeel was light and crisp, and you almost want to put ice cubes in the glass and garnish it with a lemon. But then that raises the question, "why not just get an iced tea?" Or a Twisted Tea for that matter. Sure, there's a bit more of a craft aspect to this beer, than the macro staple, but all in all, something like this just appeals to a niche market. I think the main problem here is a sub-par base beer. Add tea to a good quality pale ale, and it's much more successful.

Rifugium, Feb 09, 2013
3.41/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: dark orange in color with a 2" head that slowly fell to a spotty surface foam.

Smell: orange and lemon citrus with some soft herb-like tones.

Taste: caramel, orange, a bit of lemon zest, and a mild bitterness are the main flavors. The tea does impart a softening of the flavors but it is bearly detectable by the tastebuds.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Light crispness to start, almost smooth at the finish.

Overall: this beer was OK, the flavor profile was a bit mild and it did not have the refreshing qualities of other pale ales. Worthy of a try if you see it on tap.

Gavage, Aug 09, 2013
4.34/5  rDev +36.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Another single bottle score from The Friendly Greek, which is quickly becoming my go-to bottle shop, especially given their proximity to my work/school. Good on ya, mates! Thanks for being willing to put great beer in that end of town.

From the bottle: Someone else saved me the trouble of transcribing the information into the "Notes" for this beer, but I am going to do a cut-'n'-paste just to ensure that it does not get lost in the sands of time. "In making our signature pale ale we knew we wanted to do something different. We needed something that stood out, complimented the subtlety of our english pale ale, and said we will be a pale ale like no other – whole leaf tea was the perfect ingredient. We use whole leaf black tea to add a subtle tea flavor and aroma. A refreshing and dry mouth feel give this beer a smooth finish & a unique bitterness. An incredible amount of tea goes into this beer so much so our brewers have a tough time getting the whole leaf tea out when done (picture the tea party men tossing chests of tea overboard). We named it ParTea Pale Ale because the flavors seen to dance on your tongue and they party all night."

"Ale Brewed With Tea", eh? I hope that it is mellow as I have a pain in my neck from stress. Part of it is an S.I.W., courtesy of my mayoral campaign and part of it is the beginning of the school year, although I do not remember it taking hold this early in the past. I just want something mellow with which to ease into the evening. Man, what head from a moderately aggro pour! Two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head with excellent retention. It has been intermittently raining this evening and it has cut much of the oppressive humidity that dogged me on the walk home. The fact that the head has held up is testimony to its staying power. Loads of sticky lacing began to form as it fell. Nose reminded me of Orange Pekoe, very mellow and very tea-like. I may get my wish. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not so much creamy as bubbly and effervescent. The taste was Mandarin oranges, mint tea, Celestial Seasonings Peppermint and very mellow, man. The students would mark me as The Mad Hatter, but I'm not crazy, I swear! I just like to have a good time and shock people and make them laugh. Finish was still mellow, still tea-like and now I was feeling like a nap might be in order. It definitely did NOT make me feel like throwing chests of tea overboard or anywhere else. Like I said earlier, mellow, man.

woodychandler, Aug 28, 2013
3.58/5  rDev +12.2%

Appears a semi transparent light orange with a small white cap that quickly fades into a gentle cap and collar. Scattered bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of obvious tea leaves, lemon rinds, citrus, coriander seed, astringency, and different.
Taste is of the aromas. Obvious tea leaf addition with lemon zest pullng through.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, bitter, sweet up front, and drying on the finish.
Use with Chinese food...dim sum, or steamed buns!

weeare138, Dec 26, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -21.6%

ejimhof, Dec 25, 2012
3.31/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

- English mild pale brewed with tea.

A: Dense, dirty orange with a butterscotch toned head is filled with a lively sense of carbonation. Some visible floaties are suspended about, good head retention with a saturn like ring of lacing around the vessel.

S: Aroma of soft dried orange peel with earthy tea really stands out. Light fresh citrus with some freshly squeezed lemon is buried beneath but detectable on the trail. For an english pale the hops are a bit above average, maybe more noticeably so if not for the strong black tea presence.

T: The tea is dominant from the start, earthy, tea grounds, silty, lighty bitter and astingent with a somewhat tannic finish. Citrus and semi-dry lemon, the hops are noticeable per style with some flashes of semi-dry pear perhaps from the yeast. Flashes of orange peel is also present throught the course of the drink.

M: Silty, tea like, light dry with a decent body depth.

O: Overall a decent deal of hoppiness that is perhaps overshadowed by the enormous amounts of tea added. Leaves a black tea like finish which would limit multiples. Honestly drank more like a tea at times then a pale much less a beer.

beerthulhu, Dec 08, 2013

rolltide8425, Apr 10, 2013
3.13/5  rDev -1.9%

served on tap at the brewery taproom, in a shaker pint glass.

appears a dirty copper/orange/light brown, with white head. aroma is a bit herbal and fruity, decent. taste is dry, with some lemon and a bit of the tea flavors coming through. thin to medium body, and medium carbonation.

overall, probably the weakest of Prism's offerings.

jmdrpi, Nov 28, 2011

IdrinkGas, Mar 27, 2014
3.9/5  rDev +22.3%

Prism- Tea Party Pale Ale

A- Deep golden caramel orange brown with a frothy chunky white head. Good ringed lacing and bubbly carbonation.
S- Lemony tea leaves with a bready malt base.
T- Strong tea leaves with a big lemony kick. Good dry bitter yellow grapefruit with a hint of orange. Light caramel malt.
M- Sweet malt gives way to a dry and bitter tea leaves.

Overall- A solid Pale Ale with a dash of iced tea blended in.

NJpadreFan, Jul 22, 2010

bigfnjoe, Aug 18, 2013

Seen this at the Wegmens and thought I'd give it a try.
Pours a cloudy amber color with a super tall off white head. It's very much carbonated and thus the head never fades.
Aroma was malts and sort of a strange weird smell that was off putting.
Taste bad
I like to support the local bew brewers in the SEPA area but this just a bad beer.

micromaniac129, Dec 22, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance
Slighty hazy gold with 2 fingers of head. Low carbonation and nice clouds of lacing.

Nose
Very strange apple juice aromas.

Taste
Again, these apple juice aromas are in the forefront. Dirty caramel backing. Earthy hop flavors along with notes of lemon zest. Whoosh! There it is! Earl Grey Tea! There also seems to be touches of tangerine, grape and bubblegum.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, crisp and clean. Light-medium bitterness.

Overall
This is a pretty strange beer but give it a chance. The more I drink, the more it grows on me. Those weird apple flavors slowly fade and it starts tasting more like an English Style Pale Ale. The tea flavors slowly strengthen. Very earthy and refreshing.

justintcoons, Nov 16, 2012

TheFightfan1, Aug 04, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -53%

mportnoy, Jan 07, 2013
1.4/5  rDev -56.1%

A - I drank a little from a bottle before drainpouring. Appearance gets a 3.0 because I couldn't really see it.

S - Some tea, not really many beer scents. Not a fan.

T - Atrocious. The worst beer I've ever put in my mouth. 2 friends tried it and nearly gagged. It's disgusting how bad the aftertaste is. There are tea flavors and some generic beer flavors. I don't even now how to describe it. Just some malt mixed poorly with tea I guess.

M - Carbonated fine, no alcohol. Just unpleasant aftertaste and taste in general making the whole thing unpleasant.

O - Worst beer I've ever had. At least macros are tolerable since they don't taste like much. This stuff tastes horrible. Never try, and certainly never buy.

nrs207, Jun 04, 2012

erialbill, Jun 30, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -21.6%

touchmeimsac, May 20, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

hazy faded orange with a very big sticky cream color head. Lots of clinging. Can smell some foundation malts, touch of citric hop and some tea underneath it all.

An interested beer that would probably be better if they worked on the body a bit more. It's not thick and resinous enough to pull off that slick medium body and it doesn't have enough carbonation to be crisp and refreshing. Bitterness is big which i'm finding i'm liking on these prism beers. Even though thy infuse with weird or fruity ingredients it isn't everything the beers about. Still a good amount of hop bitterness to this one. Malt comes through up front heavily influenced by the tea flavor goes into a citric and herbal hop bite with a nice building bitterness. Tea flavor lingers in the mouth. Honestly a nice and interesting beer with flavors that go along with each other pretty well. Kind of simple but unique. Again I wish it'd body was a bit different.

jtierney89, Jun 04, 2013