Love Is EvoL - Prism Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 59 | Reviews: 9
Reviews by KFaulkner:
3.84/5  rDev +9.1%

Wow, strawberries and jalapenos? This is certainly unique.

You can barely taste the strawberry, which to me is a good thing. The jalapeno character comes through but not at all spicy. I adds more of an earthy/doughy character that works well with the brown ale style, but with a peppery aftertaste.

Could use a little more hop character, but overall I enjoyed this unique brew.

4.53/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

We had a single bottle of this beer sitting in our growler station fridge for a few weeks and just decided to try it tonight.

I didn't expect too much from this beer upon looking at the bottle, but it seriously took me for a ride.

A: An almost see through dark brown with a slight head. Almost looked like Coke in a glass with a head on it.

S: Very noticeable fresh coffee bean smell, can't really pick up the strawberry or jalapeno at this point.

T: BOOM! Roasted jalapenos, slight black coffee, quick little bitterness from the hops, and an a slight rounding flavor from the strawberries which are actually barely noticeable.

M: Very light (since it it 5.5%) Just a wee bit of effervesce. Goes down very easily since it is so tasty.

3.58/5  rDev +1.7%

Had a glass at the Trapp Door in Emmaus PA. It might be more accurate to call this a chili beer, since the jalapenos dominate the flavor. Of course, strawberries are also used, but they only add a mild fruit sweetness. I actually have trouble pulling brown malt notes out of this. There's the clean, fresh pepper upfront, then a touch of subtle fruit esters, but no clean toasted or roasted malts—just a slight caramel hit. An interesting beer, but it could be cleaner.

3.17/5  rDev -9.9%

While stopping in at my local beer bar, the owner asks if I've had the Love Is EvoL from Prism. Curiously, I said no and asked what it was. Her response? "Well, it's made with strawberries and jalapeños." Say, what? Interested to say the least, I was given a sample and decided on a pint, too.

A: Dark brown body - it honestly looked like a Porter at first - with a small off white head. No lace or retention of any sorts, really. Not terrible but a little bit more would have been nice. Could have been the pour itself also.

S: The strawberry fruitiness does come out first, but it's gone almost instantly. There's a nice amount of darker malts, and then out of left field is this very fleshy, peppery note. It's really interesting and not bad in any way just somewhat unexpected. Well, not unless you knew it was brewed with jalapeños!

T: Like the nose, the strawberry flavor comes first but it again doesn't last long at all. The fruitiness blends into the roasted malts, some chocolate and a slight bitterness mid-palate. A slight taste of chile flesh is at the back. A few sips later, the lingering spiciness comes in and stays around. Interesting beer to say the least.

M: Well-carbonated, medium bodied, sort of an all around okay feel to things. Nothing stellar but nothing poor, either.

I'm glad I tried this one out, it was an interesting beer though nothing I would or could drink regularly. Nice job at taking a risk and twist on the very boring (IMO) Brown Ale.

4.15/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

The thought of a strawberry jalapeño brown ale was intriguing so I gave it a try on tap. It certainly was a great choice. I am not a fruit beer fan so that was my only hesitation and the strawberry is so subtle. Mostly a solid brown ale with good jalapeño flavor and a bit of heat. Not much burn but it is even noticeable in the aroma.
Overall this beer was so smooth and easy drinking that it makes it worth the trip to the brewery.

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Great balance for having sooooo much going on.

3.95/5  rDev +12.2%

drank at the taproom at the brewery.

appears very dark brown, with thin frothy off-white colored head. aroma is sorta smoky from the jalapeno peppers, earthy.

taste is nutty and malty like you'd expect for a brown ale, but the jalapeno again adds an element of smokiness and spiciness. Not overwhelming though. I don't detect the strawberry at all. Body is neither thin nor thick, good carbonation level.

overall, a nice twist on the style. I can see it being a polarizing beer however. But put me on the positive side.

2.8/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Bought a sixer of this from my new favorite craft brew store...Wegman's.

A- Pours a nice brown body with decent lacing. You could actually see the jalapeno seeds in the bottom of the glass, which was unpleasant for me.

S- I could only smell the overpowering smell of the peppers,

T- The faint taste of fruit (strawberries and possibly bananas) was there and gone, and the taste quickly changes and finishes with the peppers.

M- Medium bodied, and well carbonated, but the finish gave you that feeling you get after eating a peppermint then drinking a coke.

Not sure that I would try this one again. The pepper is screaming focus of this beer, and takes away from all other flavors and tones.

4.5/5  rDev +27.8%

Strawberry Jalapeno Brown Ale, sounds weird right? It tastes so much better than it sounds. It's got a perfect balance of strawberry and jalapeno, and the jalapeno is mostly flavor instead of heat, which compliments the beer very well. It was one of the best beers I've ever had. I got their flight of 8 beers, and I decided it was the one I really wanted some more of the most. I will definitely be back soon.

to view more.