Funk Zone - Prism Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Prism Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheSupremeAJ on 07-08-2011)
Reviews by TheSupremeAJ:
TheSupremeAJ

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured into a full pint at the taproom in North Wales. Appears dark red with a thin creamy head.

The aroma is pleasant. The Brettanomyces yeast contributes the hallmark sour aroma that has been quite the trend lately. Nothing spectacular but certainly not offensive.

The taste has a strong cinnamon and spice to it, however it melds well with the sourness despite being such another unusual combination. This is truly a unique experience.

The sourness is medium to light. The carb is very good and the mouthfeel is medium.

Overall this is so far tied for Insana stout as my favorite from the new taproom. Keep up the great beer and continued contributions to our beer community!

07-08-2011 03:13:52 | More by TheSupremeAJ
philaglassfull

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

Had this at their taproom in North Wales. An extremely balanced beer despite the odd combination of spices and brett character.

Pours a dark brown/red with a light whiteish head.

Smells of fall/winter spices, doesn't overpower though.

Concerning the taste everything melds together exceptionally well, a great session beer.

The mouthfeel is good but nothing incredibly exceptional.

Overall this would have to be my favorite sour beer i've had, I really wish it was on tap all year.

09-10-2011 23:42:46 | More by philaglassfull
sammyt728

4.16/5  rDev -1.9%

08-25-2014 20:04:14 | More by sammyt728
jmdrpi

drank at the taproom at the brewery.

appears maybe a shade darker than the regular Red Zone beer upon which it is based, a dark read, with a bit of head of tiny bubbles.

take a sniff and the funk of the brett greets you, along with a bit of the holiday spices. The taste is a good balance between the cinnamon and ginger spices and the sourness. Definitely complex and interesting. Body is a little bit creamier than the regular Red Zone.

Overall, it seems like an odd mix of flavors, but I think it works. Imagine a "Christmas" version of a Flanders Red Ale.

09-12-2011 19:00:18 | More by jmdrpi
BigMike

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%

08-10-2014 10:42:25 | More by BigMike
Mr_evol

4.81/5  rDev +13.4%

I had this for the first time at Lansdale beerfest. I had heard a ton of good things about it and love the Red zone seasonal. And since this is made from that I knew I would love it but had never had a sour before and didn't quite know what to expect.

I LOVED IT!. Best sour red I have had yet. It had turned me on to all the sours and started me exploring but I cannot wait for this to come back. I already told them I want a keg of it.

:-)

02-28-2014 16:37:32 | More by Mr_evol
Jaystref

4.75/5  rDev +12%

09-24-2012 22:01:22 | More by Jaystref
Funk Zone from Prism Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.