Felony IPA - Prism Brewing Company

good

Prism Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BigMike on 11-11-2011

Felony IPA is an English / American Hybrid double IPA that features more European hops than American. Brewed in an English style to maintain a malt backbone and coming in at 10% ABV, 100 IBU’s and using 10 hop varieties to give it that American attitude Unlike those traditional IPA’s that hit you in the face with citrus, we prefer to sneak up on you with an amazingly smooth 100 IBUs of piney, earth, and citrusy hops and high octane 10% ABV. This translates into an experience that should be illegal.

This beer is one of the few beers in the world whose base malt is Low-Lox, an anti-oxidation malt that provides superior shelf-life and flavor stability which we believe is of utmost importance when making IPA’s. Learn more about the Low-Lox malt that we use.

We decided that although we love our West Coast brethren, we wanted to make our double IPA a bit differently. Our anti-reinheitsgebot perspective made this ‘illegal’ in our books so we made it the first of our Prison series. Originally a limited release beer it quickly became such a hit that we decided to make it available year round.

I don't know how this beer got so many good reviews: this is one of the worst beers I have ever had. Coming from Philadelphia I'm spoiled with Victory, Yards, and Philadelphia BC so I thought I would try another PA beer. I thought the wrapping was gimmicky with the cartoon 50's greaser but I thought I would try it out. The color is a murky amber with a very very slight head that disappears. The taste is what really killed me. I love IPAs they are my favorite beer, but I wan to be punched in the face by hops when drinking one let alone a double IPA but I got none of that. All I could taste was lacquer thinner like I was making a new surfboard and some malt then bad bitter not the good kind. I was being nice giving this beer a 1.

1.75/5  rDev -50.4%

2.25/5  rDev -36.3%

2.32/5  rDev -34.3%

2.5/5  rDev -29.2%

2.5/5  rDev -29.2%

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured into an ale chalice: color is opaque copper, head is white and presents 1/2 inch thick then dissipates to a ring with some light lacing.

Smell is lightly boozy, with hops not too aromatic on a cool pour, malt is lightly sweet.

Taste is not as boozy, with malt sweetness presenting and hop flavor somewhat muddled. Maybe the hop mixture complicates flavor identification. Fruitiness definitely comes through as strong from the strength and fermentation.

Mouthfeel starts harsh but is subdued as it warms, creating a softer presence on the tongue.

Overall, a good beer to try but seems to muddled in its idea, the hops are just bitter and the malt flavors are a touch too sweet.

3.1/5  rDev -12.2%

Appearance: amber orange with almost no head which disappears almost immediately. Carbonation bubbles disappear quickly, next to no lacing.

Smell: sweet and caramelly, more English hops are present, hard to decipher the American hops used.

Taste: Malty sweetness with a mild bitter presence. Flavor lingers well, pleasant but not impressive. Alcohol presence is decipherable but subtle.

Mouthfeel: Much heavier than I was expecting from a signature dipa.

Overall: easy to drink, especially as a dipa. Not what I was expecting but a flavorful beer nonetheless. Probably would buy again, but not often, especially when I'm in a hophead mood.

3.16/5  rDev -10.5%