Felony IPA - Prism Brewing Company

Felony IPAFelony IPA

good

Prism Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BigMike on 11-11-2011)

I don't know how this beer got so many good reviews: this is one of the worst beers I have ever had. Coming from Philadelphia I'm spoiled with Victory, Yards, and Philadelphia BC so I thought I would try another PA beer. I thought the wrapping was gimmicky with the cartoon 50's greaser but I thought I would try it out. The color is a murky amber with a very very slight head that disappears. The taste is what really killed me. I love IPAs they are my favorite beer, but I wan to be punched in the face by hops when drinking one let alone a double IPA but I got none of that. All I could taste was lacquer thinner like I was making a new surfboard and some malt then bad bitter not the good kind. I was being nice giving this beer a 1.

1.75/5  rDev -50.4%

2.25/5  rDev -36.3%

2.32/5  rDev -34.3%

2.5/5  rDev -29.2%

2.5/5  rDev -29.2%

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured into an ale chalice: color is opaque copper, head is white and presents 1/2 inch thick then dissipates to a ring with some light lacing.

Smell is lightly boozy, with hops not too aromatic on a cool pour, malt is lightly sweet.

Taste is not as boozy, with malt sweetness presenting and hop flavor somewhat muddled. Maybe the hop mixture complicates flavor identification. Fruitiness definitely comes through as strong from the strength and fermentation.

Mouthfeel starts harsh but is subdued as it warms, creating a softer presence on the tongue.

Overall, a good beer to try but seems to muddled in its idea, the hops are just bitter and the malt flavors are a touch too sweet.

3.13/5  rDev -11.3%

Appearance: amber orange with almost no head which disappears almost immediately. Carbonation bubbles disappear quickly, next to no lacing.

Smell: sweet and caramelly, more English hops are present, hard to decipher the American hops used.

Taste: Malty sweetness with a mild bitter presence. Flavor lingers well, pleasant but not impressive. Alcohol presence is decipherable but subtle.

Mouthfeel: Much heavier than I was expecting from a signature dipa.

Overall: easy to drink, especially as a dipa. Not what I was expecting but a flavorful beer nonetheless. Probably would buy again, but not often, especially when I'm in a hophead mood.

3.16/5  rDev -10.5%