Felony IPA - Prism Brewing Company

good

Prism Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BigMike on 11-11-2011

Felony IPA is an English / American Hybrid double IPA that features more European hops than American. Brewed in an English style to maintain a malt backbone and coming in at 10% ABV, 100 IBU’s and using 10 hop varieties to give it that American attitude Unlike those traditional IPA’s that hit you in the face with citrus, we prefer to sneak up on you with an amazingly smooth 100 IBUs of piney, earth, and citrusy hops and high octane 10% ABV. This translates into an experience that should be illegal.

This beer is one of the few beers in the world whose base malt is Low-Lox, an anti-oxidation malt that provides superior shelf-life and flavor stability which we believe is of utmost importance when making IPA’s. Learn more about the Low-Lox malt that we use.

We decided that although we love our West Coast brethren, we wanted to make our double IPA a bit differently. Our anti-reinheitsgebot perspective made this ‘illegal’ in our books so we made it the first of our Prison series. Originally a limited release beer it quickly became such a hit that we decided to make it available year round.

3.6/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured into an ale chalice: color is opaque copper, head is white and presents 1/2 inch thick then dissipates to a ring with some light lacing.

Smell is lightly boozy, with hops not too aromatic on a cool pour, malt is lightly sweet.

Taste is not as boozy, with malt sweetness presenting and hop flavor somewhat muddled. Maybe the hop mixture complicates flavor identification. Fruitiness definitely comes through as strong from the strength and fermentation.

Mouthfeel starts harsh but is subdued as it warms, creating a softer presence on the tongue.

Overall, a good beer to try but seems to muddled in its idea, the hops are just bitter and the malt flavors are a touch too sweet.

3.54/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had sample at SN Beer camp Philly

A-Pours a deep hazy orange. Light dissipating head.

S-Aroma was on the light side of floral hops and grapefruit.

T-Taste is a mix of floral and some citrus hops.

M-Mouthfeel was a light body and medium to low carbonation.

O-Overall not a bad DIPA, just not great.

2.25/5  rDev -36.1%

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

I don't know how this beer got so many good reviews: this is one of the worst beers I have ever had. Coming from Philadelphia I'm spoiled with Victory, Yards, and Philadelphia BC so I thought I would try another PA beer. I thought the wrapping was gimmicky with the cartoon 50's greaser but I thought I would try it out. The color is a murky amber with a very very slight head that disappears. The taste is what really killed me. I love IPAs they are my favorite beer, but I wan to be punched in the face by hops when drinking one let alone a double IPA but I got none of that. All I could taste was lacquer thinner like I was making a new surfboard and some malt then bad bitter not the good kind. I was being nice giving this beer a 1.

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

3.27/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip pint.

Appearance
gold with hardly any head to speak of. Decent clarity with suspended yeast particles throughout. Light carbonation.

Nose
Sugar coated grapefruit, melon, bubblegum, apple juice, honey, lemon, lime, and caramel.

Taste
Bubblegum, sugar coated grapefruit, apple juice, honeydew melon, lemon pith, and lime. Caramel and honey. Wintergreen and wet pine on the finish.

Mouthfeel
Medium-plus bodied, smooth, warming, and moderately bitter.

Overall
A lot of melon, apple juice, bubblegum, and honey. So it's a bit off from a more classic DIPA. Pretty smooth for 10%. Maybe throwing 10 hop varieties into a beer isn't necessarily the best way to go.

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%