Marzen - Sudwerk Restaurant and Brewery

MarzenMarzen

good

Sudwerk Restaurant and Brewery visit their website

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2002)
3.53/5  rDev -0.6%

Huge thanks to arbitrator for this beer. The extra effort is greatly appreciated.

Poured into my pint glass the beer is clear golden amber. About one finger of light beige head fades rather quick leaving no lace.

The aroma is very sweet. Caramel malt, vanilla and spices meld with the typical modest hop profile of marzens.

The flavor is mostly spiced malt with hints of vanilla and grassy hops. Right about where a marzen should be.

Medium to light body. A touch thin with low carbonation.

Overall a decent marzen. Nothing special but drinkable. Very glad I got to try this one though.

3.6/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 oz. brown bottle served in a pint glass. Pours a clear copper amber with a thin off white cap and a light effervescent carbonation. Retention is a bit brief though the carbonation does support a light cap..

Moderate caramel dominates the nose and is accompanied by a light and earthy hop presence. Taste is slightly sweet of caramel yet not nearly as overwhelming as many of the style, and without the syrupy feel and finish. Bit of roasted malt is evident as well due to the relatively light residual sweetness, along with some blood orange on the finish. Feel is light in body yet full enough and matches the flavor.

Good drink for the style though a relatively light interpretation. Yet that suits me well.

3.25/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours medium amber with crystal clarity, light head.

Faint aroma of honey and caramel, very reserved.

flavor follows the aroma with a light caramel upfront, fairly smooth and malty finish, a little watery on the finish.

a decent marzen, nothing to really write home about but still fairly drinkable.

3.48/5  rDev -2%

Pours a translucent cherry-amber with a thin head that doesn't feel like sticking around. Doesn't have much of a smell--subtle bread and honey, but that's about it. Has a nice, smooth burnt honey taste, with a heavy malt finish. Unremarkable mouthfeel--relatively carbonated I suppose. It's possible to put a few of these down, but I don't know how badly you'd want to.

All in all a decent marzen.

3.35/5  rDev -5.6%

On-tap at the brewpub. Pours a dark amber color with good retention and lacing characteristics. Aroma is nutty, malty, with some mild fruit to it. Tastes of pecan, nutty, mild-moderate bitterness with a grainy finish. Rather inoffensive flavors but on the safe side. Medium body with a creamy carbonation that is proper. Easy enough to enjoy this, but too simple for my taste.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

Clear light brown colored beer with a small tan colored head that doesn't last.

Smells sweet and malty with lots of caramel and vanilla scent. No real hop scent; this is pretty much all malt.

Starts out Sweet and a little woody. Malty without being sweet I pick some vanilla here and caramel, makes we wonder if oak was involved some how. Hops are just about right to balance all the malt.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Drinkability is OK. This isn't too sweet, but it is too sweet for regular consumption to me.

3.65/5  rDev +2.8%

This beer is not at all bad - there's a neat hoppy bitterness to it that matches this autmunal weather almost perfectly. It's a rich and coppery amber with an initially lively head, which dies back quickly, leaving only a thin lacing. First impressions are of a slightly spicy nose, faintly toasty and a hint of citrus. The first taste is quite a surprise - it's not hugely complex, but neither is it uninteresting. Instead it's a clean, fruity flavour with a little butter, but the hops are in the forefront all the time, providing a little bitterness without the hop taking over.

Butter and bitter? Sounds odd, but it works. Add the slight toastiness and what you have is a Marmite sandwich type of a beer. I exaggerate somewhat, its not quite that dark and bitter, but it is certainly a refreshing change from the norm of pale lager styles; it's quite tasty and "more-ish", I found myself wanting another one almost immediately. That I needed another is partly down to the thinness, relative to my normal run of fuller-bodied beers, but that lightness is part of its strength.

It's definitely a refreshing session beer rather than a refreshing specialist, drink-alone beer. I want to load up a plate of sausages and good bread and sit down with several of them.

2.05/5  rDev -42.3%

Consumed 06/03/09.

Very clear and quite sudsy, this beer is certainly well-carbonated. No aroma to note.

The flavor is very sharp and fairly dry. It is also completely lacking in the caramel, toasty malt flavors I associate with marzen. Hops are present and lend some bitterness. It would have been nice if the there were some sweetness for them to interact with, but I didn't note any malt character at all.

This is a very macro tasting beer and far too parching for me. I didn't finish the bottle.

4.08/5  rDev +14.9%

This is a good, solid marzen, with nice cgharacter if a little thin and subdued compared to some others.

Light borwnish copper, it has a small, off-white head soon shrinking to a thin ring, leaving wisps and a tiny bit of lace.

The aroma is toasted grain, light caramelly bread crust, some apple. It's mellow but good.

The taste has more, a nice, fairly wel-rounded body with good sweet-bitter balance, a light sweetness slightly dominating yup front morphing into a light, slightly spicey bitterness at the finish. It has toasty, slightly caramelised, grain with spicey-peppery finish, hints of citrus (lemony) and a light aftertaste of a little grain dominated by zesty citrus. It's zesty, solid but not oily at all.

3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

I've had this beer for some time, and since it feels more like October today than January, I'm going to pop it. 12 ounce bottle, on to the beer:

Poured into my Eisenbahn Weizenbock glass, this beer is pale amber orange in color, reddish hues in the middle of it, with the head holding up pretty well. The nose makes me think of October, it's a spiced maltiness, the standard goodness of an O-fest. Into the mouth...carbnonation is quite strong, the body is medium. Sweet doughy bread and cookie dough sweetness. High malt sweetness. Bit of earth and dirt. Caramel emerges. Hops are spicy, leaving an herbal note in the aftertaste.

I'm not sure what, but served cold on what was a warm January day (it reached 85 F here), this hits the spot.

3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

Dark amber with very little suds. Soft aroma of molasses bread and dark fruit esters. Nice toasty malt becomes quite dry on the palate with spritzy, lemony hops. Finish is snappy and the lemony hops come through for a mildly bitter finish-- very nice. Despite the flat appearance it has a vibrant mouthfeel. The malt profile is very true to style, reminiscent of a German oktoberfest; the hops seem a tad more lemony and the finish a bit snappier than that of a German version, which is a good thing to me. The only drawback is a lack of malt complexity like you'd find in, say, the Ayinger marzen. Theres just one layer of malt flavor here, but its a nice one, and it improves with a little warmth. Overall a dead-on Marzen-- drinkable and very well-balanced. I could see drinking many pints of this along with some sausage and sauerkraut.

3.38/5  rDev -4.8%

It's October so, 'tis the season'...
Pours a coppery clear deep amber with a small off white head that melted rather too quickly.

Aromas of sweet toasted malts and buttery vanilla along with some nuts.

Taste follows aroma for the most part. Toasted amber malt...a little smooth vanilla and caramel all coming to a nutty finish.

Nice drying sensation in the mouth from the light citrus hops as the sweet toasted amber malt slowly leaves the palette.

Nice Oktoberfest.

3.55/5  rDev 0%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a clear amber, with a thick, tan head, more off-white than brown, small at first, but grows as the beer is poured, no real lacing to speak of, however, as the beer is drunk.

S: Light, some caramel notes, a bit of hops, though faint.

T: Quite hoppier than your average marzen, this is definitely an American interpretation, balanced with some light toffee and caramel, with a bit of apple to balance the earthiness of the noble hops, and possibly some Cascade, California hops, though I'm not sure.

M: Very good I thought, full-bodied for and Oktoberfest-Marzen, though overall, light and crisp and easy to drink, just the right amount of carbonation.

D: Good drinkability, I'd put this at just slightly above average, but it is nice to see a California brewery doing traditional German styles and session beers.

Bottle Date of 03.13.07, Sampled September 2007
The beer pours with a frothy, initially three-finger thick, large bubbled, amber tinged, tan colored head. The beer is a brilliantly clear, rich amber hue that visually shows a light carbonation. The aroma is quite malty and even somewhat sweet. Aromas of caramel, browned bread crust, touches of brown sugar, biscuits and a definite sweet, slightly caramelized malt character.

Much drier tasting than the aroma would have suggested, but it still manages to have a fairly substantial body and even some palate coating character to it. The malt character is definitely dominant here, but there is a fair amount of hop contributed flavor as well. The hop character provides a solid, yet not overwhelming bitterness in the finish, as well as a herbal, not quite minty character in the finish as well. The herbal hop note actually is found throughout the flavor profile, it just becomes more noticeable towards the finish, and in fact lingers on in the palate (as does the bitterness) quite a long time after the beer has left my mouth. Lest I forget the malt influence, it is definitely here and fairly substantial. It is not overly sweet, yet does provide a richly caramelized maltiness, a crusty rustic bread flavor, a touch of toasted flavors.

This is quite tasty, and it seems to be another beer that is growing on me more as I work my way through the bottle. The aroma of this beer really starts to open up even more after warming up a bit; it becomes quite a bit more complex in its malt character, with even some aromatic notes reminiscent of honey. The flavor too picks up a flavor depth and richness as it warms as well. Overall this is a really great drinking beer. I haven't really had these beers in years, but used to really enjoy my visits to the pub in the 90s.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

This is my favorite beer to accompany my Undergrad Burger at The Graduate in Davis, even though the staff insists on mis-pronouncing Marzen.

On-tap it has decent head, nice burnt-orange color and a mildy spicy/woody aroma with hints of floral notes. Taste from draft is slightly different than the bottled version IMO, a bit more full flavored but with less bite. Mouthfeel is light and not overly bubbly. Very drinkable, great for watching a game with friends.

3.98/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured a deep clear bronze with a fluffy well formed 1/2 finger head very rich and full in color,aromas of vanilla and caramel with some sweetish doughy qualities as well.Full creamy mouthfeel it almost coaats the mouth going down,pretty rich flavors for the style lightlky sweet and doughy up front with hints of vanilla and caramel finishing with a touch of peppery leafiness.Wow I really like this marzen its much fuller in texture and flavor than many but not overly heavy and I imagine probably very food friendly.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a clean amber color with not much of a head. Carbonation seems to be lacking a bit.

S - Roasted grain and sweet fruits meld for a nice smelling beer. A little biscuity, and not much hop presence.

T - Roasted malts are the first thing that crosses the tongue, but it quickly goes very melon-like sweet before transitioning to a nice bitterness. Pretty good.

M - Very nice. Medium in body and a bit sticky. More carbonation would be nice, but that's my only complaint.

D - No problem at all. These things are very easy to pound. I know that from experience.

3.03/5  rDev -14.6%

650.5ml.brown bottle with label steting: Best within 90 days of bottling date: 01-09-98. I did not cellar this bottle, so keep that in mind.

It poured a dark copper-mahogany with a 1/2inch of tan head. Very little carbonation but it laces ok.

Nutty, roasted malt nose with honey-like sweetness. Some grassy hop presence as well.

Sweet roasted malt with some oak and some nuttiness, that is slowly washed away by the leafy grass hop finish. It tastes pretty good but suffers from deterioration.

Mouthfeel is smooth and watery for the relitively full body of this brew. I don't really notice the alcohol, but would guess that it's under 5%ABV.

It's pretty average, a little on the sweet malty side...I'll have to find a fresher bottle and see how it compares.

4.28/5  rDev +20.6%

Pours a sparkling amber with an eggshell thin capper, lacing is marginal but it leaves spotted DNA.

pretty spicey hop presence which caught me by surprise. It works well with this malted chewyness and toasted flavors. This is one tasty marzen and dare I say one of my favorites of all time. This brewery in Davis, California will receive plenty of attention from this household.

Oktoberfest / Marzen hold a special place in my heart as it was one of the transition type beers I tried while in Germany for 3 years.

3.45/5  rDev -2.8%

Bottle provided amid a bunch of stuff given to me for volunteering at 2005 GABF. I appreciate this gift and the opportunity to try a craft beer I've not previously encountered. Stamp on the bottle reads 091205. Poours a half finger drab yellow-brown head over a mildly cloudy brownish liquid. Well, red-brownish. Light-amber/brownish. What an odd color, I've never before seen a beer with this hue. BTW, the head is already gone, leaving a ring of bubbles around the inside of the glass.

Smells mild. Malty sweet with caramel, some toasted qualities, and a faint hint of soured grain. Hops...I'm not getting any. Tastes malty sweet with some sticky bready qualities. Not quite biscuit malt, perhaps vienna? Wet finish with a floral hop appearing in the front during the aftertaste. Noble, but not sure which kind. Some qualities of tettnanger, but not as 'dirty' as I usually find tettnanger to be. As I consider the aftertaste, I'm thinking I get some Munich malt. The beer has a dry 'catch' to it that's accompanied by a protein 'funk' that I find in many Oktoberfests. The malt character disappears quickly, leaving the mouth empty except for a little bit of tannin. Md body and md-heavy carbonation (which I find a bit distracting). Well, by the end of the glass, I'm finding the aftertaste not so empty. I now get a very later caramel (almost toffee) accompanied by the taste of iron and biscuits. This beer is much better once it's warmed a bit. I have additional bottles and will try to review another that's served cellar temp.

3.78/5  rDev +6.5%

I definitely have a soft spot for this beer but is definitely not as good out of the bottle as on tap at the brewery, but what do you expect? I love the clear brown and copper color of this beer but it doesn't get much head out of the bottle. Not one that lasts, anyway.

A solid smelling beer but not stupendous. A little malt, a little wheat, some hints of floral and fruit.

There is a light malted flavor to this one and the beer feels good in your mouth. Very smooth and mellow with a little caramel flavor and a slight hop taste when you swallow. I realize that this beer isn't as great as I made it out to be in college but it has sentimental value and I could drink these aplenty.

2.65/5  rDev -25.4%

12 ouncer sampled, label tells me that it was bottled on 10-15-04, and its best "90 days of bottling date" Its a tad stale, but only a few months which shouldnt make much differance. This one pour bright orangy amber, way too large bubbles, in the head and rising up from the bottom. Minimal nose, slightly off notes of cardboard and cabbadge, never good signs, I'm not in love with this lackluster, malt driven snoozer, theres better brew out there, much better...

3.78/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a root beer color with copper hue and little to no head.

A sweet German beer (lager) smell with hints of roasted malt.

Taste has a sweet acetic flavor.

Mouthfeel is smooth light to medium body, dry slightly watery texture, soft carbonation, and a metallic slightly chalky finish.

Marzen is the only Lager type of beer that I like except for some types of Bock. I like Marzen beers better than any Oktoberfest, I know there suppose to be the same but Marzen is more like a Vienna to me. Maybe I really like the Vienna style.

Sudwerk has put out a fine flavorfull easy to drink Marzen much better than G & B, which is acceptable. The smell is nice and the mouthfeel is some what smooth. I try not to keep to much of this at one time cause it's to easy to drink.

3.28/5  rDev -7.6%

Medium brown color, medium head. A medium bodied marzen style beer. Malty and slightly sweet. Somewhat hoppy. Nice mild nutty and fruity flavor. Good taste. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is clean and slightly dry. Smooth taste. Aftertaste is dry and slightly malty. Nice refreshing beer.

1.9/5  rDev -46.5%

I originally sampled this beer on 31 January 2002. I am writing this revue from my notes.
Appearance: This 'beer' poured flat. I was clear and copper colored.
Aroma: My nose could not detect an aroma
Flavor: It was sharp on my tongue and generally forgetable. I would advise avoiding this beer

Marzen from Sudwerk Restaurant and Brewery