Notorious B.I.P. - People's Brewing Company

People's Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Black Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: backfat on 05-29-2011

American Style Black India Pale Ale. We used an American base malt, Caramalt, and dehusked CaraFa with an addition of cold steeped Black malt to give this IPA its black color. Falconer’s Flight and Columbus hop additions result in an aggressive hop character for a dark beer. The flavor of an IPA style ale meets with hints of roasted dark malts.
Ratings: 31 | Reviews: 4
Reviews by secondtooth:
3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours black with ruby highlights, and nice, tan foam. Thick walls of lace. Attractive.

Aroma is fruity and herbal. Hops seem muted here. Not sure what to make of it.

Taste is sharply hopped, with plenty of roasty chocolate-toned malts underneath. Citric hop finish. Comes around with a well-balanced taste and easy finish. Solid.

4.43/5  rDev +10.5%

Had on nitro tap in Tap Room.

A - Black with a red/copper hue. Tan head that was pretty thick and stuck around.

S - Lots of roasted barley

T - Not nearly as hoppy as expected. Had a very balanced flavor with a subtle hop bitterness and good coffee/malt flavor.

M - Very thick and creamy (probably more so because of the nitro).

D - Not nearly as harsh as most Black IPA's I've had and bonus points for the name. I hope to try this on CO2 so I can take it home in my growler next time.

4.29/5  rDev +7%

Picked up a growler today at the taproom. Poured into my people's pint glass.

pours a rich black with copper/amber hues. healthy half inch tan head. froathy with a touch of fiz like most people's beers.

smells like sweet biscuit and watermelony hops. Nice malted barley and soft grains dance around the juicy hops with hints of apple cinnamon. They balanced this perfectly.

Taste is sweet and malty with little bitterness. sweet hops kiss the tongue with each sip. Ends with a flavor that is standard when it comes to lafayette water. Just part of living out here with very minerally water. I'm used to it.

Smooth and creamy mouthfeel. very inviting and milk like. This is the best part about the beer.

I love it. This is the best beer to come out of people's so far IMO. Good job people's!

REREVIEW: Picked up a growler of their batch #2. really excited to try it again. I adjusted the appearance up .5. Some great lace and a nice froathy head on this guy. The smell is still fantastic with some more citrus like hops in the taste and aroma. Love having this beer around.

I really enjoy Black IPAs and I thought that this would be no different.

A - Nice dark brown color. Small white head with fine bubbles and light lacing.

S - Lots of citrusy hops that are somewhat generic with the smells you would expect but not as pungent as some of the BIPAs I've had in the past. After the hops there is sweet malt, light chocolate and roasty tones.

T - Initially more hops than in the smell with citrus, resin, and some pine that provides a great base coating of the palate. In the middle there is quite a lot of sweet malt and caramel that I wasn't expecting so much of. On the end there is some of the chocolate and roasted character that is typical of the BIPA. Not enough bitterness to calm the big sweetness on the front half of the tongue which is different than the dark ales I've had before.
M - Moderate mouth-feel. Low carbonation. The mouth-feel is moderate but there is some stickiness from the sweet malt and hop resin in this beer. Not too thick but not enough dry, bitter character to keep it balanced.

Overall, this is a very good black IPA. Not my favorite of this style but it does have what you would expect from a BIPA just a little sweeter and not a hop overload. I would recommend this for your first BIPA since it isn't as assaulting on the tongue as others.

Glass- Tulip