Quelque Chose - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Quelque Chose Alström Bros

750 ml brown bottle obtained at McKinnon's in Salem, NH split with BA member MrHurmateeowish. pours a deep ruby red with no head in the slightest. the scent of cherries immediately jump out at the nose (kinda reminds me of the scent of cherry cough syrup IMO), scent of vanilla in the background, and some cloves. tastes of cherries (not just the "taste" of cherries, but it tastes like you are biting in to an actual cherry. you can taste the skin and the flesh of the extremely juicy cherries), slight spice from the cloves, and slight herbalness from the vanilla. Little to no carbonation definetly full bodied yet aqueous very drinkable even with the high alcohol content (there is absolutely no traces of the alcohol). Extremely drinkable. I have been absolutely blown away by this beer. going back to McKinnon's tomorrow to buy more!!

Cheers!!! (851 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +29.1%

A heated bottle at Fourquet Fourchette (Unibroue's restaurant in Chambly...) My quest to find some Quelque Chose finally ends, at the beer's hometown. And what a beautiful town it is, not to mention the restaurant (the brewery's not so bad either - very clean). Served in the appropriate glazed pottery cup/mug thingy.

Dark reds and purples abound in this ferociously dark and slightly oily beer. The head's like (soda) pop, well tinted by the beer and it disappears almost immediately.

First whiff comes before I even pick up the cup. Cherries, sodden wood and a dose of spice. Don't pick this up and breathe deeply from the mouth of the cup. Well, do it once to understand, but the acid and spice certainly make an impression in your nose.

First taste is too hot, almost burns the tongue. I swallow anyways, then blow on the rest to cool it. Tastes like a mulled apple cider (except it's mulled sour cherry ale.... of course). Heaps of cloves in the body, alonfg with a couple others I can't place at the moment - allspice maybe? Tartness of cherries abounds, ever fighting with a slightly cloying thick sweetness. At the swallow comes an acid burn at the back of the throat. That's what makes this beer.

Start with a hot bottle, and work your way down gradually. Don't keep it hot, but leave it out on the table. The character of this beer changes immensely as it cools, and it's wonderful to experience. When only lukewarm, the acid burn fades and the cherries and cloves take center stage. It's ever so drinkable in this fashion, as you travel from one flavour to another.

A truly unique beer, and not to be underestimated or dismissed as a novelty. This is amazing. I'm in love (both with the beer and the town).

"Quelque Chose" means "something". What a great enigmatic name for a beer. The slogan is "L'Hiver, c'est quelque chose" : "The winter, it's something". (also an appropriate beer on a beautiful spring day sitting on a patio looking out over a beautiful lake and being served by people in historical "New France" clothes). (2,057 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +27.3%

Found that the place I saw this at had rotated it so it was hard to find at the time.

Pours a nice, dark red color with no head at all. Carbonation is ample but not overwhelming. Aroma is deep and rich with cherry and cinnamon showing through the most. Taste is very bold with the cherry shining through very well. Tart and delicious beer! Somewhat too sweet for my tastes but it doesn't detract from this beer. There's a wine-like quality to this beer as well. Goes down very smooth and is basically like drinking cherry wine.

If you can find this beer, I recommend picking it up. Keep in mind, it's not for everyone. If you enjoy most of the Unibroue offerings, you might like this one as well. (700 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +26.5%

Absolutely no head or carbonation. Deep, garnet red color.

Rich, brandied cherry nose, with sweet but tangy cherry flavors behind.

I was warned that the beer was strange and was told most serve it warmed or over ice. Sorry, but I don't agree. I thought it was stunning all by itself, merely served cold as you would any beer. That it had no carbonation was not an issue, I just didn't bother thinking of it as a beer. More like a dessert wine.

It's a beautiful drink and I look forward to cellaring some.

pairing: Apricot crisp with vanilla ice cream and pomegranate syrup (576 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +25.2%

Poured into tulip. Poured a dark red color, the beer was very still, just a thin ring of bubbles, thus no lacing. The aroma is strongly of cherries. with hints of various spices in the background.

The flavors are also dominantly cherry and spice, all very well blended. These flavors all dance across the tongue. This beer is is just a great blend of flavors.

The body is full, yet light and crisp. Drinkability is excellent, I've shared several bottles, but this is the first bottle I've had by myself and I'm yet to tire of it.

Overall, this is my favorite beer of the year so far. A must try if you haven't yet. (617 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer smelled great and has a beautiful dark color when pouring. Not much carbonation, which I'm fine with. Loved the taste. I could taste the spices but, also the cherry. Very good flavor, nice combination. (215 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +24.4%

This is simply a wonderful brew. I first tried it at room-temp, and it was fantastic. This time, though, I'm drinking it properly mulled. It pours a dark and slightly murky ruby red, with a bit of pink foam masquerading as a head. The taste and smell are simply exceptional - rich and spicy, with a very strong presence of tart cherries. I detect ginger and cinnamon, with perhaps a bit of clove in the spicy aroma and taste. Taste starts very balanced, spices and cherries mixing perfectly. Finishes with a bit of dominance from the cherries, leaving a brief and mild aftertaste of cherry. Nice mouthfeel - smooth, and just a bit oily. (644 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +23.9%

I've had this beer served warm - or cold, and find that it is IMHO best served hot. With the bottle warmed in a pot of hot water (and with the cork pulled), it pours a deep ruby color without any head. The aroma is somewhat limited with a soft fruitiness and light spice. It definitely has a presence, but none of the aromas are very distinct as the heat seems to make all of them swirl into one. The heat is an extensive part of the experience, going well beyond the standard mouthfeel. What body is really in there is hard to tell as it seems thinned - possibly medium, maybe even medium/full - although it seems medium/thin. It's mouthfilling! The flavor is quite broad, with a wide spiciness awash in tart fruitiness. Clearly, there are cherries in here, but the flavor is much more integrated with notes of almond, anise, clove, and licorice expressing themselves quite fully. The finish is long, just laying in the mouth with a gentle spiciness that continually reminds you that something delicious is at hand. A true sensory experience. (1,043 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +23.9%

What a tremendous treat. Thank you to Risser09 for bringing this beer over. It was a welcome break from our sour beer tasting. Thanks Aaron.

2002 limited edition 500ml bottle.

Quelque Chose, has very little that resembles beer (in any traditional sense). My wife asked if this is wine or beer. It is questionable by taste alone. We have had some spiced holiday wines that taste just like this.

About half way through we took a short break from (the Lambic) sours and poured this beer both cold, then put the other half in the coffee pot to gently warm it on the coffee maker. It was interesting to compare them. It does have a hint of sour. Cold the flavors seem much more spiced and easy to pick out (my review below is notes from cold) but warmed it is completely melded together, softer flavors, and a lot like a hot holiday punch. I could really see drinking myself enjoying this beer tremendously, when it is heated either at a party with hors d'oeuvres or after returning indoors on a blistery cold day when you need something to just sip and warm up.

This is a beer I think just about anyone would like.

Appearance: Pours a copper bronze with fizz but little head.

Smell: Everything Christmas! Cherries, cinnamon sticks, vanilla, nutmeg allspice, brown sugar and more cherries.

Taste: I said we took a break from our sour beer tasting for this because it is sweet, but it does have a light tartness to it in the sense of a beer like Mad Elf cherry tart but not like Cantillon Kriek cherry tart. The cheery tartness and green apple are gentle and friendly (approachable) and are buried in a plethora of spices including cinnamon and allspice brown sugar and just a hint of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and slick through the mouth.

Drinkability. Tremendously easy drinking beer. It is so tasty that you would never pay attention to the 8% and just warm up all over to a few glasses of Quelque Chose.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers! (1,965 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +23.9%

Tried this wonderful delight the other night, As soon as it was poured you could tell it was going to be great. There was no head as it flowed out of the bottle. I sat and smelled it for a good five minutes bringing in the smell of cherries with a hint of cinnamon. Once in the mouth it sits well and you can defiantly taste the cherries with a subtle hint of the cinnamon. The more you drink it you can start to taste honey and vanilla. The honey slightly more then the vanilla but both are very, very subtle.

All in all this was a excellent beer, it got even better as it was more cool then cold. (599 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +23.9%

2002 limited edition 500ml bottle. Bought it by chance awhile ago and decided to share it at the sour beer tasting. With that said, this beer is more like a holiday wine or a cider than a beer.

Appearance: Flat in terms of carbonation, brownish gold beer.

Smell: Very Christmas-like in aroma. Cinnamon, nutmeg, orange peel and cherries. Real cacao beans also.

Taste: Pleasant tastes of cherry, spices like clove, nutmeg, cinnamon. Very complex and worth sipping in December and January. Nice and sweet, too.

Mouthfeel: Easy drinking and no carbonation really. Alcohol is not very apparent. A smoothe brew.

Drinkability. This beer was quite unlike any beer I've ever had. IT was very pleasant and deserves to be revisited. We mulled the second half of the bottle and it became an even better sensation than when served cold. Quite versatile and worth seeking out. (878 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +22.6%

had on the rocks and then warm

On the rocks it had a nice sherry like feel. Not over sweet at all, very pleasant and refreshing taste. it tasted so good I didn't want to boil the next half. Had a pale red complexion. and a sublt sourness that was pleasant.

Wow.. warm totally changed this beer. Had more of a cider liek feel. Lots of apple aroma and taste as well as the spices in the beer coming out more. Great as well. Very suprised. This is a world class beer and a great experience. (490 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +22%

Wow...I am buying as many bottles as I can find...since it is a limited brew...

Appearance...ruby red slightly orangey...NO carbonation or head whatsoever
Aroma...hint of cherry and some alcohol...
Flavor...this is what blew me away...and my wife loved it...tasted like a cherry cobbler...i mean it was cherry but it had the spices...nutmeg cinnamon...also that crust like flavor...not a typical beer drinkers beer...but I found this refreshingly good

Mouthfeel not too thick but a little syrup like

Drinkability...I polished off this bottle while writing the review...like I said...I'm getting as much as possible before I cant find it anymore... (658 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +21.8%

This one came from my best beer buddy Sudsdog. I had been holding it back for a special time, and decided to break it open with some friends and the wife after a filet mignon dinner and some wine.

A: Pours a nice dark reddish burgundy color, a wine like appearance. There was little to no bubbles and no lacing.

S: Wonderful. The cherries power thru and you can get whiffs of the cherries, cloves and cinnamon. Man is this one beautiful.

T: We had it cold, but man is this one awesome brew. My buddy has hated every beer I have put in front of him no matter how good it was. He is kind of a wine geek. But this brew he was blown away by it. He was begging for more when the bottle was empty. As for myself, man did I love this one. Huge taste that was sooo very complex. My beer guy is asking an arm and a leg for this one, but I will pick up a few more bottles no doubt about it.

M: Nice and light. The sweetness helps it to drink like a fine wine.

D: Very, its tooo bad I had to share this one with 3 other people. The next one will be enjoyed warm with just me and the wife.

Overall: I loved loved loved this beer. It tastes better than any wine I have ever had, and puts all other fruit beers to shame. Unibroue has outdone themselves with this one. The taste is sooo nice and complex. It totally tastes like Christmas to me. I will buy a bottle of this brew to celebrate the upcoming Christmas. Sudsdog thanks for sharing this special brew. The wife and my friends really enjoyed it. It was an extra special brew that capped off a nice evening of great food, great conversation, and most importantly great friendship.

Suds here's tooo you! Cheers. (1,659 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Amazing, fascinating, unique, ridiculously fragrant and delicious brew. Feels incredibly heavy in the tulip - very strange.

You're notified on the bottle that there isn't any head, and there wasn't. The bubbles you do see pop up along the outer ridge of the glass are sparkly and few. You can count each one practically. Glows like a jewel - ruby red.

I think I took at least two dozen long, sensuous whiffs before finally tasting. The concentration of candied cherry is magnificent. Vanilla and honey are the next most discernible aroma (each very present and probably in order of potency, respectively). The cinnamon lingers at then end and that must be the clove that I couldn't identify that rounds out the whole aroma. The scent courses through the back of the throat down into the lungs. Tiny tidal wave. Wowee.

You don't immediately think "brown ale" or "lambic". The flavor is a smart blend of the two - the malt shows up a little in the aroma and body and the sour of the lambic is perhaps faintly detected in the finish. You can't mistake the cherry though - insane. Hops, I could not find. The sweetness approaches cloying from time to time, but ultimately the heavy feel washes away in the finish. I was floored when my friend informed me it was 8% - couldn't taste it.

I fought with myself as to whether I should down this all in one gulp or savor every sip like it might be my last. The absence of carbonation takes a little getting used to. But it turns out to favor the flavor. It certainly keeps you wanting more.

The possibilities for how and when this can be used and abused are seemingly limitless. It would match up perfect with any vanilla/chocolate-based dessert and could take the place of wine in a variety of circumstances. By itself, it's superb. Great apertif or after-dinner treat. Mon dieu! (1,826 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +21.3%

Tag on bottle recommended it to be served cold/over ice, room temp, and warm/hot. This was a 2002 bottle. It was served chilled in a wide mouth goblet.

Appears light cranberry iced tea color with a thin body, essentially no head, no carbonation and no lacing.

Smells strongly of tart apples and tart cherries. Milder cinnamon, mint, clove, wild yeast, and ginger ale smells are also present.

This stuff tastes great. It taste pretty much as it smells; it's like grandma's tart apple and tart cherry pie mixed together. It is much more complex tasting and less sweet than I expected from a "fruity" offering. I put a few icecubes in it and tried some; it made the smell and the flavor almost immediately close up and taste like practically juicy juice.

Very nice mouthfeel, thin, very clean while being well spiced. Finished with a slight yeasty dryness.

This might be a little to drinkable. Very "light" and easy to drink. I tried to slow down and savor it for a long while, but I couldn't help picking up the glass again and again. This stuff is divinely tasting. (1,080 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +21.3%

750ml bottle split with BA CheckMate purchased at McKinnon's. Pours a deep red crystal-clear body with no head to speak of. Cherries and wood dominate the aroma with a slight herbal-mintiness in the background. Cherries, wood, nut, mint, herb all comprise the flavor, with really complex cherry notes particularly dominating. Nearly flat, but aqueous and drinkable with a medium body. The pleasant interplay of flavors and the aqueous quality makes this beer go down too easy and disappear a bit faster than I'd like. Possibly the most pleasant and complex fruit beer I've ever had. (582 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +21%

2002 Vintage, 500 ml corked btl.

The cork removed w/out a sound and pulls out too easily. I pour a silent fusion of garnet and rusty brown into my St. Bernardus goblet. It falls with no head, no bubbles save but a few. I've read the reviews so I'm allready anticipating a flat beverage and am not alarmed.

Chilled the aromas are dark candied cherries, medicinal herbal notes, spice, sherry, and nutty liquor. As it warms it smells more like a cherry pie, rich with nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove. It has a musty, dry, wine-like character as well.

The first thing I notice as I sip is the utter lack of carbonation. It does not however detract from the integrity of the brew. Chilled it's filled with sweet dark cherry and pit flavors, bitter herbal notes, plum, red wine like flavors, cinnamon and spice. As it warms to room temp., those cherry pie flavors come out. Tart juicey dark ripe cherries spiced w/ nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, and cardamon. The spice really becomes strong as it gets warmer. There's just enough fruity tartness and earthy, yeasty, cellar-must to remind me it's beer and not wine.

The body is a thick medium with a juicey and slick mouthfeel. If you hold it on your tongue for a moment, you get a slight prickle of fine carbonation on your tongue. The finish is cherries and sweet spice with a relative dryness. Very interesting beer, I'm glad to haver sampled. (1,392 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +19.9%

2002 release

A: Pours a reddish caramel color with no head. Lacing in its usual presence is not found here; instead, a matrix of ultra fine specks of lace is left on the glass

S: Cinnamon, nutmeg, and potpourri-ish type spices fill the bouquet with a bit of cherry aroma.

T: Spicy and reminiscent of hot cider or mulled wine. The cherry flavor is much subtler than expected and adds a fine complexity to the flavor.

M: Medium-full bodied and smooth with very light carbonation.

D: I tried this first at slightly below room temp and then mulled. Both were good, although I preferred it at room temp. Definitely a far cry from your usual beer, this one is very unique and deliciously different. (708 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +19.7%

Pours red as rubies and has nearly no carbonation as is to be expected with this one. I chose to have it at nearly room temperature as recommended for the enthusiast. The flavor is purely incredible. The cherry flavor is spicy and sharp with a definite undertone of the malt. There are some flavors reminiscent of red wines as well with some mild bitter undertones. The mouthfeel is soft and dry There is a slow warming of the stomach as well. Overall this is a specialty ale that shows excellent craftsmanship and ability. (523 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%

Notes: 2002 limited edition 500ml bottling. Corked and Caged
Amazing! This beer is simply amazing, but then again is that a suprise? This brew poured a nice cherry red, pink-ish colour with absolutely no head and barely any carbonation or head to be found. The neck-tag on the bottle said that there were 3 ways to enjoy this beer. So i opted to try it all three ways. Out of the bottle I poured this liquid over ice in my chimay chalice. This was a very tasty, cold, and smooth way to drink this beverage. The aromas were of cherries, in fact it smelled like cherry pie filling. The taste was similar with some spices and warming alcohol coming into the mix. Next I tried this @ room temperature in my Chimay chalice. This was better. This beer had some more spicy and complex aromas and taste nuances when it was served at this warmer temperature. Finally, I tried this beer mulled. I heated the remaining 6-8 ounces in a home-made double boiler. I did not use a thermometer on the beer but I would say that it was definately 'sipping hot' at 150 degrees or so. Here is where Quelque Chose tasted the best, absolutlely amazing! Mulled this beer had an even spicer and more boozy aromas that filled the room. This warmed the body and mind and is the perfect beverage for a hot winters night.
Cheers!,
F.

Notes on a 4 or 5 year old U.S. 12oz bottle. The best-by-date for this $6 (!) 12oz bottle of beer was 10/2002. This bottle has been aging for 4 or 5 years but it is hard to tell. This pours still much like 'fresh' QC and the aromas are all quite similar. This version of QC was quite 'stronger' and more alcoholic than its fresh counterpart but it smelled wonderful, none-the-less. This also had a quite vinous aroma, almost like a cherry wine. The taste of this aged QC was very cherry-wine like, alcoholic and wonderful. This is just as good as fresh QC, just a bit different. The mouthfeel was a bit thicker than that of the fresh QC but that was nice. The drinkability is still very good, this may be better mulled as I only tried this aged sample over-ice and at room temperature. It was delectable both ways. This is an expensive special occasion beer, but do not be weary of old and out-dated bottles of this brew. The 500ml bottles were going for $7-9 by me..so $6 for 12 ounces really is not that bad. give the old 12oz version of QC a try if it is available by you....

Notes on an old US 750ml bottle. No front label, but the back label has a best-by date of 4-1998. This was very similar to fresh QC, in all aspects. The pour was still, dark red, and a bit yeasty. The aromas were all booze, spices, cherries, and malt. The taste was maltier than other versions of this brew, perhaps the recipe has changed, or the extra aging has made this beer maltier? I tried this sample at room temperature and mulled, it seemed a little old at room temperature, but once it was mulled, it shined! This is such a good warm sipping beer, definately a good one to have around for the winter months...Still awesome with 10+ years of aging beneath it's belt...This beer simply does not "go bad", it's aging potential seems to be smiliar to that of a traditional lambic (eg:cantillon) beer! (3,198 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +18.4%

Nice 500 mL bottle. Drank hot and warm in a coffee cup. The appearance is a ruby brownish body, not necessarily that appealing, like it was soil. The head is reduced to a thin ring. The aromas are very intense and easy to smell even 30cm from the liquid. It smells red wine, sweet cherries, grapes, earl grey. Filling mouthfeel, it especially rolls on the tongue when heated. Big cherry flavors, but also fresh oranges, apples, woody peaks, cloves and cinnamon (very spicy beer overall). Nice and sharp acidity overwhelms the sweetness to ensure it's refreshing character. Do I need to add it's complex? Long cherry tea after taste. The warm version reminded me more of ultra-complex Sangria with a little salty note while the hotter one had more of a complex cup of tea feeling, more intense. Unique and well-done. Tremendous balance, original, worth its high price. I wouldn't drink this everyday, but it's very contemplative and I'd love to have a try at liefmans gluhkrieks now. Gluhkrieks own. Period. (1,006 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +18.4%

This beer was served in a wide mouthed wine goblet. This beer was served after lightly chilling. I drank half the glass and added ice cubes as the packing said was appropriate. I quickly fished out the ice and had to let it set a few minutes. The cold totally wrecked the smell and flavor of the beer. No ICE!

Appearance: The beer has a very dark clear amber coloration. No head or carbonation present in the beer.

Smell: This is truly where this beer shines. This beer is a spicy bomb of cinnamon, nutmeg, and all spice. This combines with a tart cherry and apple pie fruityness.

Taste: This delivers almost perfectly on the smell. Is this wine or beer? The beer has a well balanced sweet and tart combonation that compliments the spice bill.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is light bodied and well balanced. This is a fine beer drink and was hard to put down.

I tried this again lately and warmed it up. I served it in a clear coffee mug. It is nice warmed up. The smell wakes up to perfection. I think the flavor suffered when mulled. I let it cool down to slightly warmer than room temp and it was divine. (1,129 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +18.4%

Overall, very impressive but of course this is not an overall opinion due to the beer's many serving variations. I chose to start at the bottom of the ladder, so to speak, and served it slightly chilled approaching room temperature.

Appearance is a little daunting; murky, rose-brownish stuff that just sits in the glass. No head whatsoever upon my pour. Aroma makes up for what this brew lacks in looks; wonderful, wonderful aroma of dark cherries, some cinnamon and apple. The cherry aroma is this beer's strength, I believe, for never before in a synthesized cherry product have I smelled anything remotely as close to what smelling, say, cherries jubilee is like. I considered this a good thing, but if you're turned off by cherries this will decidedly not be your deal for the taste carries over the cherry aroma. Wonderfully tart, sweet, and sugary cherries complimented by a kick of cinnamon and nutmeg. Little bit of a sting in the throat indicating the alcoholic presence, perhaps, but very slight. Mouthfeel is thick, lubricative. Really pretty great stuff, but not your typical drinking experience by any means, and definitely for special occasions. (1,163 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

I prepared this mulled like has been suggested to me many times over. What a different experience that makes.

Served in a chalice from the brown 500 ml bottle with gold lettering. I've been aging this bottle for over half a year. Appearance is a rich, intense ruby, more like a cabernet. Immense lacing. Aroma of spices and tart cherry. Spices like cinnamon and nutmeg and allspice. Flavour matches it almost to a letter. Velvety mouthfeel, and goes down like baby bear's porridge--just right. Very fine, but probably best appreciated in the dead of winter in front of a fire or dim candle-lit room (save this for your special someone). Yeah, this is far better when warmed/mulled, the flavour alters greatly for the better. Something to be experienced. (756 characters)

Quelque Chose from Unibroue