Quelque Chose - Unibroue

Quelque ChoseQuelque Chose

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Quelque Chose Alström Bros
Howlader

1.5/5  rDev -60.5%

09-28-2013 06:58:42 | More by chippo33
BeerManDan

1.78/5  rDev -53.2%

As soon as I popped the cork and you could hear and see no carbination at all, (why use a cork at all), I just knew I wouldn't care for this beer. When I smelled it, I smelt a sour clove (not cherry) note. When I tasted it, (twice) once cold, once room temp., I poured both down the drain. It was a flat sour clove and spicey taste that made me want to barf! No thank you for an expensive piece of S---! I wonder if this is suppose to be flat or I got two bad bottles? This beer was super flat. Almost like drinking a flat cola!

12-30-2002 13:12:04 | More by BeerManDan
dharmabum326

Maryland

1.85/5  rDev -51.3%

My girlfriend picked this beer up because the label looked cool. As soon as I read the description I knew it wasn't a beer that I would usually enjoy, but I try to make an effort to be open minded. When I first opened the cold bottle I first thought was uh-oh because there was no pop whatsoever. I poured two glasses and there was no carbonation and only a few bubbles coming up. I thought the beer had to be bad, and upon initial tasting this was my girlfriends conclusion as well. While the beer has no carbonation it wasn't completely off. It was a clear brown color and smelled sweet like cherry candy. The taste was similar - very sweet, lots of cherry, and kind of like candy. There is definitely a syrupy feel and taste. I did not enjoy it. What followed was a discussion as to whether or not we could ethically pour the bottle down the drain. That's when I did a little research and discovered that the beer was not supposed to be heavily carbonated. Surprised, we decided to re-cork the bottle and save it for mulling, which never ended up happening. Overall, this reminds me more of a sweet wine than a beer. Hell, it reminds me more of cough syrup than beer. Not for me.
On a side note, I used a cup of this beer in some chile. The chile was great, but I couldn't taste any of the beer - at least it wasn't wasted.

12-02-2012 01:25:27 | More by dharmabum326
mrkrispy

1.88/5  rDev -50.5%

Oof, had hopes for this one. No such luck.

Poured with virtually no carbonation, a murky brownish red. Odd aroma of fruit and vinegar, and something else I can't place.

First taste seemed okay, cherries and dark fruit, bit of tartness. Second taste not so good, reminds me of something I can't place....reminds me of the aroma.... acidic, almost acrid... third taste...yes I have it: This beer tastes like bile, like vomit. Watered-down-and-some-cherry-flavored-vomit. Hints of medicine, like cough syrup. My girlfriend - a sour beer fanatic - could finish half a glass. I couldn't make it past the third taste. I like fruit beers, love Belgian sours, but this is just gross. I dread vomiting it up because that means I will taste it again.

A big $10 drain pour.

11-08-2008 00:07:39 | More by mrkrispy
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

1.93/5  rDev -49.2%

A - this fruit beer pours a dark crimson color, like a fruit flavored maple syrup, no apparent head and no apparent carbonation, rather still, not atypical of a fruit beer

S - sour cherries are strong in the aroma, with some assorted spices, like nutmeg or clove, no as i read the bottle, it says cinnamon and clove, i could see that being true

T - sweet cherries, wow, thought they would be sour, the cinnamon adds a weird spiciness, like it doesn't belong, almost like a menthol flavor

M&D - too sweet and weirdly spiced for me, was hard to drink, but we finished the bottle

01-14-2007 16:10:29 | More by sinstaineddemon

12-09-2011 14:22:14 | More by TrickkyGangsta
hobbes2112

2.05/5  rDev -46.1%

500 mL bottle.

Pours a deep red brown with zero signs of head or carbonation.

Smell is of dark cherries (gee imagine that!) As I let it warm up the smell got a little spicier, winning it a little extra in my mind.

Taste, sweet sugary cherries that ends a little sour. Odd and unpleasant aftertaste (like Code Red soda that has warmed up in a car over a few days)

Mouthfeel was syrupy but with not carbonation at all it was quite dull.

I could drink this (I did finish it) but I can't really imagine too many situations this would complement. I will not buy this again, or likely any other cherry beers for that matter.

10-02-2004 04:40:07 | More by hobbes2112
cnally

Indiana

2.08/5  rDev -45.3%

Poured this one out into a goblet. Worry seeps in though, as the cork didn't pop--just slid out...hope this isn't a bunk bottle.

The body is a red mahogany, opaque, with literally no head at all. None. I may as well be drinking a soft red wine.

Aroma is a musty, sour cherry with no real traces of malt or hops. Locker room aroma, mildewy...I am worried for my health.

The flavor doesn't strike me as being too off or rancid, which bodes well for the prospect of it not being a bad bottle. Definitely pick up the cherry, and a little alcohol, but unfortunately that is all the depth that this beer has. Finishes a touch sour, assumedly from the cherry.

A slick, sticky mouthfeel with virtually no carbonation whatsoever. Feels like it is straight from the fermenter.

A major misfire from one of my favorite breweries. I have always tried to seek perfection in life, which is by the world's nature, unattainable. However, I thought a glimpse of hope was the Unibroue ideal, never slip up, never relent, never pour a beer down the drain. I lose hope, and down the drain it goes.

11-12-2010 02:42:56 | More by cnally
Radome

2.17/5  rDev -42.9%

Poured from a large bottle into a snifter.

A - I was a little put off by the fact that there was no hiss of carbonation when I uncorked it. There was no head or foam at all. Beer is a medium reddish amber and just slightly less than crystal clear.

S - The aroma is not like beer at all. It is like a birch beer with cherry cough syrup mixed in. I can't detect any hops, malt or alcohol in the aroma.

T - The taste is like some exotic homeopathic cough syrup or cherry juice in mulling spices. Again, the impression is very un-beerlike.

M - The body is thin to medium. Only the barest minimum carbonation fizz detectable. No alcohol burn.

D - I'm very disappointed. I bought it for the description on the bottle and I was expecting a dark beer with cherry and chocolate overtones. Instead this bottle was flat cherry juice with root beer herbs and spices (or is it dissolved Riccolo cough drops?) mixed in. I'm normally a big fan of Unibroue, but I think they really missed the mark with this one. Maybe my bottle had a bad cork and I'm tasting the results of some serious oxygenation.

02-13-2011 05:15:35 | More by Radome
jcalabre

2.2/5  rDev -42.1%

I originally sampled this on 28 September 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
Tried it cold, room temp and warm. Didn't like it any of the 3 ways. Cold, it tastes like cough medicine. @ room temp or warm, it just didn't taste good. It poured w/ no head and looked like a some sort of cherry drink. THis one's just not for me.

09-03-2003 01:55:56 | More by jcalabre
techdiver

2.23/5  rDev -41.3%

Pours a deep, clear, garnet color with no head.

Smells like apple cider with cherry juice added.

Tastes like apple cider with cherry juice added.

Mouthfeel like apple cider with cherry juice added.

About as enjoyable as apple juice with cherry juice added.

Everything I've tried from Unibroue has been awesome; until this.

04-22-2007 00:35:53 | More by techdiver
belgbeerdrinker

Colorado

2.25/5  rDev -40.8%

a: deep red with no real head or carbonation - uh-oh
s: obvious cherry smell - overly sweet - uh-oh again
t: sweet and syrupy - without carbonation makes it seems more sweet
m: no carbonation to speak of, syrupy
d: given normal stellar offerings from unibroue i was very disappointed with this one. biggest detractor was the lack of carbonation which exaggerated anything i didn't like about this one

02-02-2007 13:37:54 | More by belgbeerdrinker
Brent

Kentucky

2.3/5  rDev -39.5%

I must say, this is the first product from Unibroue with which I have not been impressed. I tried this brew chilled, and was not interested enough to give it a shot warmed, as the bottle suggests as an alternative. Acidic and fruity, as though the cherries had not been pitted. There was some odd spice that I could not identify. I finally got up and went to the spice cabinet and started opening and smelling the spice jars to see if I could figure out what I was tasting. Thyme came closest. The beer had a lot of complexity, but I simply did not care for the end result.

03-08-2003 21:23:09 | More by Brent
ATPete

2.3/5  rDev -39.5%

750ml bottle corked and caged

Pours a reddish brown color with no head. An aroma of cherry skin, alcohol and a muddy malt character. Ive never understood this beer, the last time i had this was about 5 years ago, to my understanding its only released every couple years so i dont think ive missed much. The back label is a bit off putting as it states its many serving suggestions, over ice, in hot wine etc. This sample was served slightly chilled, sans ice. Less than full bodied and not quite syrupy, the beer offers little carbonation and lots of medicinal quality. Red jelly Christmas cookies come to mind as the cherry flavor is intense, jammy and bitter, cherry pits, skins and stem come to mind as well, the base brown ale is rather sweet to my tastes as well and pretty hard to accurately pick apart. A few ounces is more than enough for my taste. Possibly over ice cream? You let me know. I have a feeling this one will benefit from time, so i dont want to completely rule it out.

03-27-2010 02:59:24 | More by ATPete
mjc410

Vermont

2.4/5  rDev -36.8%

Heated up just like a hot wine...

The pour into my Westy glass raised a thin off-white glass ring with sparse lacing. The body was a bright ruby-amber. The nose was filled with honey, cinnamon, pepper, nutmeg, and fruitiness. The above flavors led the taste, along with a sweet-sour taste, which grew as I progressed through the glass. I found it to be too spicy, with too much in the way of herbal flavors and mintiness. The mouth had mild carbonation, which was an odd experience for a hot drink, and was medium-thick. This beer was a huge disappointment - I suppose hot alcoholic drinks will be in the coffee, hot chocolate, and mulled wine categories for me from now on.

01-19-2007 18:36:17 | More by mjc410
Jwaks

Connecticut

2.42/5  rDev -36.3%

Serving 750ml bottle

An aggressive pour produces a disappointingly lifeless cardinal red body completely bereft of any head, haze or carbonation. Is this a strange new twist on a fruit beer or plain old beer heresy? The good news is I'm about the find out and the bad news is, I'm about to find out.

An upfront and foursquare nose shows well with sweet and sour cherries, a bit of tart stone fruit, peppery alcohol, medicinal phenols and a few odd spices hiding in the background. Perhaps it's clove or nutmeg but after a few more good whiffs it more closely resembles cinnamon and mint.

Sweet syrupy cherry juice smacks the palate briefly before slowly transitioning to a tarter cherry flavor on the mid palate and finish. Medicinal phenols, cinnamon and mint mingle with the stone fruit driven body to create a spiced cherry cider character. Tart cherries provide a good grip on the finish and aftertaste which reveal a touch of peppery alcohol, yeast and what tastes like menthol. The flavors are well delineated, they don't run together and each expresses it's own flavor well. The cherries are a bit overly sweet and syrupy while the spices and yeast, though good in their own right, make a poor match for the sweet stone fruit.

Flat, dull and insipid aptly describe the syrupy mouthfeel, this beer coats the palate like cherry flavored cough medicine. Lack of lift, normally provided by carbonation, is to blame. On a positive note, the spicy aftertaste and gentle alcohol kick on the finish are a nice twist.

Three to four ounce servings would best suit this beer; it's not one to be taken lightly. Bordering on beer heresy, it definitely stretches the limit for fruit "beer." It is much closer to a fruit wine or cider than a beer.

Quelque chose? Sure it is something, something I most likely won't have again.

02-27-2007 19:21:58 | More by Jwaks
dpnelson1978

2.42/5  rDev -36.3%

750ml bottle into Chimay goblet.

50°F

A: Bright crimson body with no observable head. Heavy sugar content observable upon swirl.

S: Ripe red fruit (obviously), with some raisin notes, and a bit of booze. Candy.

T: Heavy handed cherry flavor. Like fruit punch. Very, very sweet. I think part of the problem I have is that this needs to be paired with food, and consumed in extreme moderation (perhaps 4 oz.). This doesn't taste like beer to me, more like a liqueur. Cloying.

M: Very smooth, and fairly high body accentuated by little to no carbonation. Sugar sticks to the tongue and refuses to subside.

D: 4 oz. of this is plenty, much less a 10 oz. pour. Have this as a desert, or to accentuate cheesecake, but do not drink this solo, or in any sort of quantity.

O: I've given this beer a pretty poor score, but in the right context it could work. Drink it after a meal, and share a bottle with 6-8 people and in can play its part wonderfully.

07-05-2010 04:04:11 | More by dpnelson1978
womencantsail

2.45/5  rDev -35.5%

A: The pour is a very clear ruby red color with no head or carbonation at all.

S: The cherries stand out immediately, but there is a very strong medicinal note. The cherries are very cough syrup and cough drop like.

T: Lots of medicinal cherry flavor and what doesn't taste like cough meds is just completely sugary.

M: The body is medium with no carbonation. Not sryupy, which can often often happen with such lowly carbonated beers.

D: There's really no reason for me to drink this again, unless perhaps if I had a cold. But even then, I'd probably go to the pharmacy.

07-16-2010 08:00:34 | More by womencantsail
bump8628

Oklahoma

2.45/5  rDev -35.5%

Poured this one into a snifter.

Cherry red with little to no head due to the absence of carbonation.

Syrupy cherry through and through with some cinnamon-type spice and alcohol as it slides down the throat. While I believe the cherry flavor is from real cherries, it seems like it rides the line between real and artificial tasting. Big, thick, and syrupy pretty much sums up the mouthfeel.

This is a really hard beer to review since it's unlike any other. I'm sure this is what they were going for, but it's just not for me. This is all coming from a cherry fanatic. Perhaps 2-4oz would be nice on some occasion, maybe that's what was intended, but I can't in all good faith give a good review to a beer I just don't care for, no matter what quantity it was meant to be consumed in. Perhaps if it was dried out and given a champagne dose of carbonation I would care for it more.

As an end note: I noticed the best before was fifteen years into the future. That's intriguing; I can't see this improving much, but it'd be an interesting tasting.

06-24-2010 02:05:13 | More by bump8628
mrand01

2.45/5  rDev -35.5%

Best by date of 12-31-2025. Poured into a Weyerbacher tulip.

A: No bubbles at all with the pour. Very deep red, opaque.

S: Cherry...and that's it.

T: Like cherry syrup...

M: Totally flat, light bodied.

O: When I popped the cork it felt a bit loose. I guess it's possible that there was a bad seal...is this brew supposed to taste like cherry juice and nothing else?

11-06-2011 22:04:33 | More by mrand01
jujubeast6000

2.48/5  rDev -34.7%

Reviewed 7/4/2007 (750mL bottle:)

Pours a red color, a little cloudy, no head. Aroma of extremely sour cherries, like a geuze. Flat taste, cherries, sweet sour taste. Not a strong taste, not syrupy. Too flat. I just saw that this is supposed to be drunk hot, whoops! I hope to get some more and try it hot and re-rate it soon.

02-14-2009 21:58:16 | More by jujubeast6000