1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Quelque Chose - Unibroue

Quelque ChoseQuelque Chose

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Quelque Chose Alström Bros
Ratings: 495 | Reviews: 385 | Show All Ratings:
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

First, Had the right way, the bottle boiled up and enjoyed very warm like a cider. Oh, and served by Stephen Beaumont himself. The fruit gave a full mouthfeel, with beer as supporting character. Better than expected, and good by itself. Let's see: plum, cherry, clove, cinammon, apple, brown sugar.
Two years later had the 2007 cherry and was too sugared down.

02-24-2005 05:14:31 | More by Sammy
UCLABrewN84

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

Best by 12/31/25. Consumed cold.

Pours a cranberry juice red with ZERO head. No lacing whatsoever. The only smell I am getting from this one is of cherry soda. Taste is of medicinal cherry syrup, flat cherry soda, and cherry cider. I mean there is definite cherry going on here but it's far from what I would consider beer. No carbonation with a very flat mouthfeel. Hard to drink really because of this. Overall, I am not impressed with this offering from Unibroue. I am glad I got to try this one as I have never seen it before, but I do not like this whatsoever.

04-21-2011 04:12:20 | More by UCLABrewN84
womencantsail

2.45/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

A: The pour is a very clear ruby red color with no head or carbonation at all.

S: The cherries stand out immediately, but there is a very strong medicinal note. The cherries are very cough syrup and cough drop like.

T: Lots of medicinal cherry flavor and what doesn't taste like cough meds is just completely sugary.

M: The body is medium with no carbonation. Not sryupy, which can often often happen with such lowly carbonated beers.

D: There's really no reason for me to drink this again, unless perhaps if I had a cold. But even then, I'd probably go to the pharmacy.

07-16-2010 08:00:34 | More by womencantsail
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Bottle – Served fresh: Poured a red colored beer with no carbonation or head. Aroma is mostly cherries with some spices. Taste is cherries with strong mix of clove and nutmeg. Maybe a bit too spicy for my liking. Very different beer thought. Served hot: No surprise here with no carbonation or head. Taste of spice seems to make more sense here since they are subtler. Overall, this is a very different beer probably not for everyone taste and I wouldn’t drink more then one.

05-03-2004 15:27:14 | More by Phyl21ca
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

Surprised that this beer does not get more buzz in the beer comunity than it does. It is a really nice beer. Serious amount of Belgian character and a huge cherry counterpart. The beer smells wonderful of, well, cherries, but with a complex Flander's Red tartness, sourness, twangy-ness, candied-ness, and maltiness...all temperred with spiciness and ripe fruit. And it tastes pretty good too. Not sweet to hurt the teeth and not tart enought to promote astringence. Bold and continually developing in the mouth. A nice round mouthfeel that is not too thick, or thin. The tartness and cherry flavor is held in check by the malt base. Finishes tart and dry with a note of alcohol. A wonderful beer...maybe my favorite 'cherry' beer.

06-12-2006 15:54:17 | More by BEERchitect
Thorpe429

4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a red-brown with a nice head and some good lacing on the way down. The nose brings cherries, spice, some dark chocolate, and a bit of dark fruits. The taste brings the cherries to the front along with a bit of light chocolate and some sweet dark malt. Nice feel with a good amount of sweetness. I was anxious to try this when I first saw an ad for it, and I will say that it drinks quite well.

10-24-2010 14:04:45 | More by Thorpe429
metter98

3.8/5  rDev 0%

A: The beer is hazy brownish amber in color. It poured with just a few bubbles on the surface that quickly faded away, leaving only a thin ring around the edge of the glass.
S: There are aromas of cherries in the nose along with some hints of spices.
T: Like the smell, the overall taste is dominated by flavors of cherries that have some sweetness and a little tartness. Hints of spices are noticeable in the finish; these become stronger as the beer warms up.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a low amount of carbonation.
O: This beer reminds me a bit like spiced apple cider—except that it’s made with cherries—the type of drink that you might have served hot outdoors at a winter market. It might be a bit sweet but it is definitely a sipping beer.

07-31-2012 01:44:57 | More by metter98
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.3/5  rDev -13.2%

I'm taking the *mulled to "sipping hot" temperature* approach on this one. Maybe the entire nature of this beers varies wildy, based on the serving tempature. So it's a risk. Here goes!

Appearance: Deep (cherry) red in color and sporting almost zero carbonation. Perhaps we gained cherries upon cherries at the expense of the head, but them's the breaks.

Smell: Ripe cherries interspersed with a distinctive spiced aroma. Cinnamon and nutmeg come to mind ("coriander!" my friend AndoBrew bellows). Immediately after heating, it gives off some strong alcohol vapors that thankfully dissipate as the beer begins to cool somewhat.

Taste: Quite warm right oughta the double boiler, so I took small, careful sips. Crawl before you can walk. Tart, acidic, and bursting with cherriness as your cheeks burst from the sourness. Occasionally, a cherry lollipop flavor emerges before return to the acidity. The spices are enduring in the flavor as well, with the cinnamon dominating. It suggests a hot cider.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin in body, with just the very, very faintest hint of carbonation. Not overly drying, but the acidic nature of this brew can be a bit puckering at times.

Drinkability: Certainly fun to try and experiment with, but I was thankful to have my friend there to split the bottle with.

12-15-2005 08:00:06 | More by ChainGangGuy
oberon

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a copper/red color with no head to speak of,the aroma was tart and of bubblegum?Taste was a little weird at first but after a few sips the tartness seemed to balance out a little but I still didnt care to much for the aftertaste.Well I can say I tried it,I may try again and warm it a little.

06-30-2003 20:52:54 | More by oberon
NeroFiddled

4.75/5  rDev +25%

I've had this beer served warm - or cold, and find that it is IMHO best served hot. With the bottle warmed in a pot of hot water (and with the cork pulled), it pours a deep ruby color without any head. The aroma is somewhat limited with a soft fruitiness and light spice. It definitely has a presence, but none of the aromas are very distinct as the heat seems to make all of them swirl into one. The heat is an extensive part of the experience, going well beyond the standard mouthfeel. What body is really in there is hard to tell as it seems thinned - possibly medium, maybe even medium/full - although it seems medium/thin. It's mouthfilling! The flavor is quite broad, with a wide spiciness awash in tart fruitiness. Clearly, there are cherries in here, but the flavor is much more integrated with notes of almond, anise, clove, and licorice expressing themselves quite fully. The finish is long, just laying in the mouth with a gentle spiciness that continually reminds you that something delicious is at hand. A true sensory experience.

08-13-2002 12:29:01 | More by NeroFiddled
feloniousmonk

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

This is only my second bottle of this beer, though I'm a dedicated Unibroue fan. The last, and first bottle I tried, was at a holiday family gathering a few years ago, and my beer-loving brother claimed that "this is no BEER!" Okay, maybe, maybe not...This time, though, I'm going to try it mulled, as they like it, though a portion was poured chilled...

ripe orange color, smallish head,

... tart aroma, sour cherries, tangy, sweet, tasty...if you hate tartness, stay away, but be warned that there's more to this than you might expect...

Now, it's time to try the heated version...perfect for the snowy, 10 degree climate here in Minneapolis
...heated: bright crimson, huge, creamy, frosty white head.

Aroma, well-masked by the heat, burning fruit,

Taste: the heat is too much to consider it gently, but it's terrifically integrated, the sour cherry flavor is muted some by the heat, but the taste is still rich and rewarding...yum, yum, I wish I wasn't so close to the furnace, so I could reap it's benefits better...an excellent nightcap, better than a dessert, more effective than a lambic.

...this, the well-heated Quelque Chose, is a true beer experience! I've got to go out and get some more, to make the march past February less unbearable!

01-27-2004 10:04:30 | More by feloniousmonk
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.18/5  rDev +10%

BBD 07-17-21, sorry can't wait that long! 750 ml bottle

Pours ruby red/brown with a minimal white head. Slight film persists, but no real head retention or lacing

S: Sour & oaky notes

T: Sweet cherry, then sourness, oaky dryness & small hint of vanilla up front. Warming alcohol is present on the fringes. Finishes oaky, sour & with plenty of cherry smack. My wife who is a "kriek-freak" loved this

MF: Lightly carbonated, will pick up as it ages I bet. Medium bodied, slick & warming

Drinks pretty easy for style & abv, nice aperitif or dessert beer

11-19-2006 22:11:26 | More by russpowell
WesWes

4.18/5  rDev +10%

The beer pours a translucent dark red color with no head at all. The aroma is good. It has a nice, sweet, ripe cherry scent with really no malt makeup. The taste is excellent. It has a rich cherry flavor with a touch of cinnamon in the aftertaste. It taste no malts here, but it's still good. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied brew with adequate/little carbonation. This is a good fruit beer. It has a scetchy appearance, but it has an awesome flavor and mouthfeel. Unfortunately, the price may keep me from buying another.

03-29-2004 13:53:53 | More by WesWes
Mora2000

The beer pours red with no head. There is no pop when the cork is removed from the bottle. The aroma is strong cherry, cinnamon and clove. The flavor is heavy on the cherries with other spices including cinnamon and clove. I also get some vanilla and honey. This beer tastes like the holidays. Very little, if any carbonation and a medium mouthfeel.

06-01-2010 03:50:35 | More by Mora2000
zeff80

Missouri

3.3/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - No pop when removing the cork, but upon reading the label I knew not to expect one. It poured out a pinkish red color with almost no carbonation. There was no head at all. Tough category to score because the bottle explains that will be little carbonation.

S - It smelled of cherries. Mostly sweet aromas. Not the sourness that I had hoped for.

T - Good dark cherry flavor with touches of honey. Safe to say this beer has no bitterness. Also, it lacked a sourness that I hoped/expected in a cherry brew.

M - It was fairly crisp, but also had a sticky mouthfeel. A light bodied beer that hides its 8% ABV well.

D - This was a little hard to drink. I shared some, but still couldn't finish the whole bottle.

06-16-2010 02:09:16 | More by zeff80
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

500ml bottle purchased 2003, Sampled May 2005
Pours a brilliantly clear cherry-cough medicine color with no head or and perhaps only a tickle of carbonation. The aroma of this beer fills the air with sticky sweet cherries as I pour this beer. A deeper smell reveals savory notes of spices on top of the cherry notes which dominate the underside of this beer. At this point it is hard for me to pick out the individual components of the spices, but I get notes of clove and nutmeg.

This beer is lightly chilled at this point, probably about 60*F. The beer is fairly sweet, though not sticky, and it is quite fruity, though not just with notes of cherries. I also pick up notes of ripe plums, and some fig as well. This beer is only lightly spiced at this point, which I must admit is a plus for me. This beer is certainly interesting, and, despite misgivings, I can see how this would actually be tasty served over ice on a hot summer day. It certainly hides its alcohol quite well, I really don't get any notes of it in this beer. For a while there, as I work my way through my 500ml sample, I thought that this beer might be a little too much, but it is really going down quite smoothly and I think that I am quite enjoying this beer. There is a slightly spicy, astringent note in the finish that balance the sweet fruitiness that is found in the forefront.

05-07-2005 06:43:54 | More by Gueuzedude
Knapp85

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

This brew was something very different all together. The bottle states that it can be enjoyed on the rocks in the summer and heated up in the winter time like tea. Had this in the early summer of last year for the first time. Grabbed and glass with a few cubes of ice in it and gave this brew a pours. The beer comes out as a thin light brownish red color. There is no head on top but just an iced tea style white film on top. The smell of the beer has a nice aroma of cherry. The taste reminded me of a cherry infused tea of some kind. The beer had flavors of herbal ingredients also. The mouthfeel was thin and was pretty refreshing. Overall I found this beer to be unique in a good way. I found positives on all levels here. I can't classify it as something that really fits this style. I would like to grab a bottle sometime and try it again in the winter time and see what that's like.

07-08-2011 19:12:59 | More by Knapp85
jwc215

Wisconsin

2.73/5  rDev -28.2%

Corked bottle, best before 07-17-2012:

Poured into Unibroue tulip glass:

Well, this one is an "interesting" one... Is it beer or is it not...Tries to mimic Liefman's Glukriek, I take it. But, does it stand up? Michael Jackson (the good one) seems to think so...This beer-drinker disagrees. Interesting? Sure. Good? Not quite. And that's a shame, as it comes from a great brewery. I had this at a tasting. Figured I would be scientific and have it on my own at three different temperatures - chilled, room temp. and warm. It does have different characteristics at each, so my scores are an overall impression of them combined. I'll continue with my take on each:

Appearance: Pours reddish/ruby mahogany. Nice color...Head? Nope. You're not getting head here. (Skip the humor there - been outplayed). Strange thing though, when heated it did have a quick fizzle of a head that lasted longer (though still only seconds) than when chilled or room temp. Strange that. Well, it doesn't appear carbonated.

The smell when chilled with cherry flavored cough syrup. Cherry and medicinal. However, when heated, it did carry more complexity - stronger alcohol, some cinnamon.

The taste is sweet. No getting around that one - Sweet at all levels. When chilled it was especially like cough medicine with hints of malt. Suggestions of vanilla and clove mix in if you can get past the initial cherry throat syrup taste. When warm, the alcohol, which had been hidden at chilled and room temp. becomes more evident. Juicy, syrupy cherries abound with a brandyish (when heated) sweetness. Cinnamon and clove come through when heated. When warmed, as it cools again band-aid taste comes through. Finishes sweet and medicinal. A slow sipper at any level.

Light-bodied yet syrupy. Strange. Coating. At all levels.

Well, it's not a typical fruit beer - but wasn't meant to be. I normally love this brewery's offerings, but I'll pass on this scientific experiment. Not drain-pour, but not something I would want again. As I asked at the start - Is this beer? Whether it is or not - too cough mediciny for me...

08-06-2007 03:17:56 | More by jwc215
WVbeergeek

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Murky wine like purple red absolutely no carbonation, best by date says 10-5-2002 so here we go. Aroma: Alcohol drenched tart but very sweet cherry juice fills the senses, vinous and winelike this brew is something else, the spicing backs up the barrage of tart cherries. Taste: Impressive somewhat woody in flavor with the tart sweentess of cherry juice there and a warming alcohol sensatiobn making this one complex fruit infused ale. Mouthfeel: A bit thin in body but makes up with an even overall texture not much carbonation very wine like with each sip. Drinkability: Served cold much more drinkable I imagine I don't think I'm ready to mull this one just not in the mood much more sufficient to just sip and enjoy it from the fridge after being warmed up for about twenty minutes. Overall sweetness brings down the drinkability a bit but still very tasty winter dessert beer.

12-15-2003 19:00:58 | More by WVbeergeek
akorsak

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

A 2002 bottle mulled and served warm, if not hot.

Appearance: Ruby red in color, the ale poured into the snifter with no head and no appreciable carbonation, although there was significant carbonation and head in the bottle, especially as it warmed..

Smell: The aroma is sour cherries, sour to the point that they take on an apple butter aroma.

Taste: The cherry flavor is more sour than sweet, providing a flavor that is akin to apple butter, rich and sweet with a slight hint of sourness. Served warm, the ale's cherry flavors are accentuated, providing a fuller taste.

M: The mouthfeel is warming alcohol and a slight fruity sourness. Served warm, the ale is good for a late-December night.

D: This is a good beer to share, with a full warming flavor that finishes nicely.

12-31-2006 00:53:56 | More by akorsak
Rifugium

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

First had: bottle from Joe Canal's, Bellmawr, NJ

I'm going to try this warm/hot, as it seems that's the trend for this beer, but I'm reviewing it now as is, aka chilled. Uncorked and poured into a Chimay chalice, this beer is a mahogany brown with ruby highlights, clear, but thick and syrupy to the point where it's almost murky. No head other than a few tiny bubbles wandering around the rim; some minor evidences of carbonation. Smell is similar to a Rodenbach Grand Cru, with tart cherries, and hints of spice and apple peel. Taste is of tart cherry juice and cider, and notes of cinnamon in the background...almost resembles a juice more than a beer. I'd imagine this being very tea-like or cider like when I try it warm. Medium body, syrupy but not too sour, and almost no alcohol detectable. Nice and smooth, and quite drinkable.

10-03-2011 22:23:23 | More by Rifugium
Billolick

3.53/5  rDev -7.1%

interesting stuff. Very strong cherry nose and taste, sweet, but not overpowering. Finishes dry with some sweetness and tartness. Not for everybody, but worth trying. I had it lightly chilled, but will try warming it up next time. We enjoyed a big bottle of this warmed at a frosty Disc golf Ice Bowl event a few years ago, now that is living!

02-11-2004 00:59:04 | More by Billolick
rhoadsrage

3.03/5  rDev -20.3%

(Served warm at a "sipping temperature" in a snifter)

A- This beer has a slightly hazy reddish body with no carbonation and no head.

S- The smell of cherries and a hint or earthiness blend with a alcohol aroma.

T- The soft tangy cherry note at the beginning turns into a sharp sour note with an alcohol finish. The taste is a bit more sweet in the beginning then turning sour compared to the smooth taste when it was chilled.

M- The mouthfeel is medium-light with an alcohol finish that hangs in the back of the throat.

D- Perhaps I should have mulled it for longer to cook off all the alcohol but there wasn't any info in the instructions. The cherries and earthiness are still nice but the alcohol is to offensive and the acidic finish is a bit to dominating. I will definitely drink this cold.

12-05-2005 01:48:31 | More by rhoadsrage
lacqueredmouse

Australia

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

Reviewed cold, but also sampled mulled.

Pours a reddish tinged yellow-brown. The still body has no head whatsoever, and no carbonation. It looks flat, but indeed unique.

Huge spicy-fruit aromas on the nose. Cloves, spiced mead, mulled wine. Sweet citrus, and even a little boozy brandy. Buttery sweet throughout; rich and amazingly complex. Cherries come through as well, but instead of being the dominant character, they just meld in with all the others. Fantastic.

Sweet, thick and coating on the palate. A delicious sweet-tart sharpness, blended with a lingering rich heat of alcohol. Spicy with cloves and cinnamon at the end. Mouthfeel is very thick - suitable, despite being flat. Very nice indeed.

An incredible beer. Very unique and very drinkable. It's nice warm too, but I prefer it chilled.

11-07-2010 04:36:28 | More by lacqueredmouse
jdhilt

New Hampshire

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

Hardly any carbonation and no head or lace. Strong fruit nose and this is made with cheeries that have been soaked in ale but it tasted like fermented raisins. A nice seasonal. Pricey at $6.99 for 500ml.

11-25-2002 19:53:56 | More by jdhilt