Quelque Chose - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Quelque Chose Alström Bros
3.64/5  rDev -4.5%

Received a 1 pt. 9.4 fl. oz. bottle in a trade w/ mdvatab. Poured from the Caged/Corked bottle w/ Gold writing on the front w/ labels of 3 cherries & "50% dark ale, 50% brown ale brewed with Cherries" into my 0.3L La Fin Du Monde Tulip Glass (appropriate for the drink!). Has Best before 31-12-2025 (WOW) on the back of the bottle below their Haiku.

Aroma- Deep cherry notes, almost like a lambic. Light amount of acidity and extremely sweet on the nose. Fruity and malty would be the best way to state this aroma.

Appearance- Pours no head at all... Has a deep brown colored body with the darkest ruby red highlights. Leaves only a few suds behind.

Flavor- A nice blend of cherries and raspberries hit the mouth first. Then malts pick up but definitely too light for a brown ale to come through... No bitterness or hop in here.

Mouthfeel- Light-Medium bodied, Light- Medium Carbonation, Smooth, and the lightest tart finish on the palate. Nice fruit finish as well.

Overall Impression- While I was very interested in finding this one, it seemed like it was in my glass twice and was gone quicker than any other beer... Almost a Cherry Lambic feel in many of the categories but didn't have enough carbonation. I will be trying to find another one to age (since it says best before 2025!). Thanks for the grab Mark! (1,323 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

A: poured into a goblet at Amsterdam in SF. It pours a cherry red with a slightly darkened tint - maybe a little burgundy. It is clear with no head and no lacing. I did let the bottle sit out to warm a bit before drinking it. There are a couple of bubbles resting on the sides of the glass. At the bottom of the bottle there was sediment that clouded up the last of the beer. It is a very pretty beer.

S: It has a bit of a interesting smell. I almost get a holiday candy smell - not quite cinnamon, not quite peppermint, but something. There are the cherry notes in there, like overripe maraschino cherries and cherry liquor. There is also slight medicinal quality to the smell. Spice.

T: The flavors are different that what I expected, from the smells I got from the nose. It is still very good. I get more spice in the flavors, a holiday allspice and almost a pumpkin spice flavor. The spice takes over more of the cherry notes. The cherry lies underneath the spice, sweet but not overbearing. It's nicely balanced between the sweet notes and a slightly tart cherry flavor. I was hoping for more of a tart kick, but maybe I let is warm a bit too much. I will have to try this again at a colder tempeture. It is still very tasty though.

M: The mouthfeel is smooth and silky. There was no carbonation. It has a dry finish.

O: It is very nice overall. Super drinkable - it's like alcoholic juice! I only got a hint of the 8% ABV in there. It was a good one to split. I shared a 750ml, and I can see the spice getting a little heavy if I drank the whole bottle myself. I could see this one being very tasty served hot as well! Overall a very tasty beer. (1,657 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottle. Opens with hardly even a mouse fart of a "pop". Pours a flat, clear dark ruby reddish color. The lack of carbonation I am a little on the fence about, I don’t mind flat beers but a do prefer a slight carb at least to help the flavors pop. The aroma is nice with a mix of dark cherries and almost like a cola note. The taste is nice with a cherry forward note that carries through the whole time. A sipper for sure but the 8% really doesn’t show that much. Overall, pretty happy with this. (500 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -12.6%

looks very murky brown with ruby undertones, no head at all.

smells like sour cherries and brown ale. slight vinegar and alcohol.

sweet, delicious and a touch sour. slight hop bitterness.

mouthfeel is super thin without any carbonation at all, also a light syrupy feel to it.

this beer is tasty but it just doesn't fit into any style. not quite a sour, not quite a fruit beer, not even a brown ale. I'm seriously confused, but not disappointed. (448 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -1%

This is a Pretty bizarre beer. On the back it recommends to try it on ice, or hot so I will try it both ways, and also a little cooler than room temperature.

On ice:
Poured to a small Karmeliet tulip glass with two cubes of ice.
Light brownish red, the ice makes it a little lighter. No head.
The nose at this cold temperature is predictably pretty weak, I get cherry juice and that's it.
Very still, this is like drinking "grown up" juicie juice, the taste is cherry juice with a minuscule amount of bitterness that I'd attribute to the alcohol. However strange, it is very refreshing. The mouth feel is very light and watery, a wildly clean finish.

Slightly below room temperature:
Pours a rich ruby redish brown. No head, no lacing.
Aroma is almost like grenadine,very sweet, lots of syrupy cherry aromas with a bizarre barbaque suase like tang.
Again, cherry juice. There is a little bit of tartness to the finish like that of sour cherry chased by a tiny bit of alcohol.
The mouth feel is pretty open with a slightly syrupy feel. It goes down pretty smooth, no carbonation.

Heated in a sauce pan until lightly steaming:
Same appearance as room temp.
The nose is pretty exciting for this one. Very sweet, intence burning alcohol aromas like fusel oil, I assume this is due to the alcohol evaporating, a tinge of caramel, vanilla, candied fruit.
Nice taste, big cherry flavors, burnt brown sugar and hot alcohol similar to that of a big barleywine needing a long timeout in the cellar. Still has a pretty syrupy flavor.
Mouthfeel is still pretty light but with a way more syrupy and smooth feel than at the other temperatures. It is even more still than before due to the heating. There is defiantly more alcohol burn in the finish. After swallowing, inhaling air almost gives you the same cooling sensation as after having a mint, or after rinsing with mouth wash.

Overall:
This beer is very different at each recommended temperature. The cherry really blasted thru at each temperature. What surprised me was how well the 9% ABV was masked until heated.
My favorite temprature for this guy was warm. I doubt I will ever drink this again simply chilled. However, I may buy this and enjoy it on ice in the summer, or hot on a cold winter day.
This was a fun review and I'd advise anyone to try it at each temperature. (2,331 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -34.9%

Best by date of 12-31-2025. Poured into a Weyerbacher tulip.

A: No bubbles at all with the pour. Very deep red, opaque.

S: Cherry...and that's it.

T: Like cherry syrup...

M: Totally flat, light bodied.

O: When I popped the cork it felt a bit loose. I guess it's possible that there was a bad seal...is this brew supposed to taste like cherry juice and nothing else? (370 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -15.2%

Best by date of 12-31-2025: Poured into a mug.

A: It is very dull looking with no head and no visible carbonation, but apparently, this is how it is supposed to appear. It has a brownish, cherry red color that looks like a fruit juice.

S: First of all, this is a very strange beer. If I didn't know better, I wouldn't have guessed that this was a beer at all. It smells very vinegary with sour and tart cherries. There is a weird aroma similar to soy sauce present as well.

T: There are the sour and tart cherries again and a wine-like vinegar flavor. A fruity sweetness also comes through.

M: It is light bodied with light carbonation and overall, kind of bland.

O: This one wasn't for me. It was just too strange and the sour/vinegar taste was too much for me to handle. I did finish it, but I can't say that I enjoyed it much. I can understand why some might enjoy it, but it wasn't my cup of tea. (905 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -17.8%

Body is flat with no indication of head. The color is an opaque burgundy.

Smells like sweet cherries and cough syrup. There's a medicinal smell to it.

The taste is coyingly sweet. It's barely tart at all. The flavor is like cooking sherry, cherries, and cough syrup.

Mouthfeel is extremely flat. From what I can tell, that's how it's supposed to be. It's also syrupy.

I wasn't feeling this one. The flat mouthfeel and overly sweet taste was a bit much considering I was drinking this bottle on my own. I could see pairing this glass with a meal in some way, but it's just not a stand alone beer to drink just for the sake of having a beer. (647 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +2.9%

First had: bottle from Joe Canal's, Bellmawr, NJ

I'm going to try this warm/hot, as it seems that's the trend for this beer, but I'm reviewing it now as is, aka chilled. Uncorked and poured into a Chimay chalice, this beer is a mahogany brown with ruby highlights, clear, but thick and syrupy to the point where it's almost murky. No head other than a few tiny bubbles wandering around the rim; some minor evidences of carbonation. Smell is similar to a Rodenbach Grand Cru, with tart cherries, and hints of spice and apple peel. Taste is of tart cherry juice and cider, and notes of cinnamon in the background...almost resembles a juice more than a beer. I'd imagine this being very tea-like or cider like when I try it warm. Medium body, syrupy but not too sour, and almost no alcohol detectable. Nice and smooth, and quite drinkable.

***Jan. 2015
Had the privilege of trying a 2002 vintage. Quite good, lesser carb, but more cherry candy and ginger/cinnamon. Actually tasted like a gingerbread house. (1,005 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -5.2%

Not sure which vintage of this I had. I cant find a vintage/bottled on date on the bottle anywhere. The back of the bottle with the description says best before 12/31/2025. Thats the only date I can find.

A - This is a freakin weird beer first off. No head though I read the back of the bottle and its suppose to be that way. Deep reddish cherry juice sort of color.

S - Smells of cough syrup and tart cherries. Its just strange. Though in a good way.

T - This is once again strange. It tastes almost of the nose. The first thing that comes to mind is cough syrup. It even has that texture. IM not saying it isnt good its just strange is all, though strange in a good way. Has a sort of sweetness at the end

M - Cough syrup, really all I can relate it to.

O - Its a good beer. Just its almost not a beer. Definately one of those beers you need to share with at least like 5 or 6 people. I had a 750ml bottle and shared it with one other person and we didnt finish it, not because its bad, just because its an intense flavor. Glad I could enjoy it. (1,053 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +0.8%

Vintage 2002

I found an old bottle of this at my local bottle shop and decided to give it a try.

A: Not much of a looker, but I guess age had something to do with it. I poured into a snifter which created no head with obviously no lacing. Body was a deep brownish red that closely resembled tea.

S: Cherries are quite pungent, sour tartness to them, but yet sweet. No traditional beer characteristics what so ever.

T: Cherries, like the smell, have not faded over time. Slight hint of spice follows the sweet low tart beer. Think of cherry cider and you will have some idea of what it tastes like.

M: Thin, no carbonation.

O: The overall is higher because I know this beer didn't age all that well, looking forward to grabbing a fresh one. (745 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -31.2%

This beer pours a clear red brown color with a thin trace of fizzy head that dissipates rapidly and leaves no lacing. The aroma has notes of sour cherries and vinegar. The taste starts with cherries, but not terribly sour and overly sweet, then has hints of dark fruit and finishes with a strange vinegar type flavor that isn't like a traditional vinegar taste from a sour ale. When it warms up this flavor at the end is even worse and is reminiscent of wet dog. The mouthfeel is very watery and almost no carbonation. Overall not spectacular. (543 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +5.5%

I've had this beer several times, and am glad to finally have the chance to review it. The beer is nearly still, with no head and little carbonation. Clear and a deep, dark red color. The smell is expansive and changing...initially it smelled of sour cherries and pale malt, but soon developed into a candied cherry and spice smell. Booze, peppermint, layers of lightly toasted malts, and fresh, ripe cherry. Very nice. The taste is tart, yet not sour. It's a moderately sweet, and the cherry flavor really stands out. At times, it's candy-like without the sweetness. The fruit is not overdone however. The alcohol is exceptionally well hidden. Full in flouthfeel, but not heavy. Good stuff. (691 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Pours cherry red with no head and almost no bubbles.

S: Huge blast of tart cherries. Honestly, nothing else but a cherry juice/cherry beer smell, but I love it.

T: Again, huge blast of tart cherries, but in the flavor you get a slight spicy bite from a hint of carbonation, and there's just a suggestion of some kind of honey and grape sweetness, like a spiced wine.

O: This beer is for someone who's looking for a cherry ale. If you don't like CHERRY OVERLOAD, DO NOT BUY THIS BEER! However, if you enjoy huge cherry flavor, even exclusively, like I do, get it. I would get this again next time I'm craving cherry ale. (625 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Ive had this several times, but this review is over the 2002 Vintage since it is it's birthday 8/8/2002.

1pt bottle, 8% alc but i expect it went up a little in the last 9 years. Found 6 in a little shop out of town and bought them all.

Served in a goblet style glass. Chilled.

A-even after 9 years it retained its muddy red color, poured brown at first then the red came about as the glass was filled. No carbonation or head to speak of. If i could have my car in this color i would.

S-Once again it retained the excellent smell of cherries that it is known for. Smelling almost wine like. The cork itself was well soaked in the smell.

T-Amazing, cherries right off the bat, with a little sourness of the brown ale at the end. Though with this vintage it had far more alcohol in the flavor than the newer bottles ive had.
It reminded my slightly of the 2005 Unibroue anniversary ale.

It left a lingering numbness in my mouth, not bad at all. I took my time with this bottle, letting it warm so i could explore depths that time had given this wonderful beer.

Still one of my favorite beers of all from one of my favorite brewers. (1,137 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

2002 vintage, poured into a Duvel tulip. Found at a random shop in CT not too long ago (consumed 8/1/11, so around 9 years old). Low expectations, despite having read that later vintages have labels that project the beer being cellarable for 15 years.

Note: The bottle came with a tag that suggested serving this on the rocks or heated. I am ignoring this.

Appearance: The cork comes off easily, with a mild pop, and has no rot (just a little beer-stained). Pours with some large but scarce bubbles. Pours an almost translucent dark brownish red. Leaves long lasting spots of lacing.

How to grade this appearance? They obviously didn't brew it intending a 3 inch frothy head. As is, it looks inviting. Nice lacing, nice color. 4.0 it is.

Smell: With the unexpected pop of the cork wafts up a strong, pleasant aroma of cherries and funk. In the glass, I get more cherry, less (but still present) musty funk (almost mushroom-like), substantial sherry notes from oxidation, along with a fair amount of cinnamon and clove.

This is a bold smell, and it's flirting with disaster; dialed up, these aromas could be sickening, but as is, they form a very balanced and inviting bouquet. Enhances the flavor as well.

As a side note, if I ordered an expensive dinner and it came out with a sauce that smelled like this, I would get excited for the upcoming meal.

Taste: Very nice, follows the nose almost exactly. Somewhat heavy sherry, with a decent amount of fig, cherry, and clove. Cinnamon comes in for the finish, and the aftertaste is all cherry.

The cidery and occasionally sticky feel manages to not intrude upon the flavor. Some heat comes out several sips in, and goes well with the spice and fruit.

The flavor is somewhat reminiscent of Monk's Cafe, minus the awful sweetness that made that beer borderline undrinkable for me--it's like the scant good aspects of Monk's Cafe, augmented and put in a much more palatable context.

I'm taking my time with this beer, and it's rewarding me for it. Hints of vanilla, further spices, various fruit and fruit skin notes, lots of beautiful and subtle nuances are coming out to play with the dominant cherry and sherry (and they all play well together). I am impressed.

Mouthfeel: Lightish body that feels heavier from the low (but not entirely absent) carbonation and occasional stickiness. A bit cider/juice-like.

Overall: I am surprised to say it, but this beer has really held up for the 9 years it's existed. I thought I was throwing $7.50 away for a silly experiment, but instead I'm getting a masterful, festive, unique beer. Unibroue goes above and beyond once again.

P.S. incidentally, I think the very Winter-appropriate spices in this beer would indeed work well in a heated beverage. (2,754 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -15.2%

No head at all (poured over ice, as suggested) - reddish amber.

Vinous nose with tart cherry, but subdued (probably because it is so cold).

Taste is like a malty, sweet red wine, a sticky aftertaste. On ice, it's hard to taste much more than that.

Mouthfeel is thin, no carbonation, but some glycerine.

Totally unlike any other Unibroue, and i probably wouldn't get this again for the price, but for cherry lovers, worth a try. (431 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +6%

This brew was something very different all together. The bottle states that it can be enjoyed on the rocks in the summer and heated up in the winter time like tea. Had this in the early summer of last year for the first time. Grabbed and glass with a few cubes of ice in it and gave this brew a pours. The beer comes out as a thin light brownish red color. There is no head on top but just an iced tea style white film on top. The smell of the beer has a nice aroma of cherry. The taste reminded me of a cherry infused tea of some kind. The beer had flavors of herbal ingredients also. The mouthfeel was thin and was pretty refreshing. Overall I found this beer to be unique in a good way. I found positives on all levels here. I can't classify it as something that really fits this style. I would like to grab a bottle sometime and try it again in the winter time and see what that's like. (890 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Grabbed a bottle, a little pricey, but I wasn't paying! I figured a beer with over 1/2 the beer "brewed with cherries" should be served warm...so I let it warm in my loins for several minutes before pouring.

Appearance:
The cork didn't make a sound...no pop, no haze of foggy smoke drifting slowly out, just a cork in hand. This is strange to me, not sure if it's good or bad. The beer pours a garnet red with almost no carbonation. This is definitely beginning to get creepy and I'm starting to suspect all this beer's carbonation leaked out!

Smell:
Cherry perfume with a little cough syrup. The cherries come through potently as if there were some floating in the glass, very sweet with almost no sour.

Taste:
Overly sweet like sipping on a melted slush puppy. The cherries are incredibly pungent with little to no beer flavor. I am confused by how there is this much cherry dominance when it's only 50% brown ale brewed with cherries. Literally this tastes like cherries through the entire sip. I would be more apt to believe this beer is composed of 50% pure cherry juice, I can already feel an alleged reduction in joint pain (just dropped some science on your ass).

Mouthfeel:
Sticky sweetness with dominant and lingering cherries. There is almost not bitterness and the 8% alcohol is sneaky. This beer drinks like a sparkling wine, only without the dryness, and I hesitate even calling it a beer.

Overall:
The beer is expensive, but I don't blame them for the price (cherries are expensive!). I don't think the beer was properly executed. I wanted tart dryness and I got a syrupy sweet beer. I wanted a beer with some carbonation to give some complementing bite and complexity. I wanted a beer that was just not this one.

Cheers. (1,743 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -22%

A- Pulled cork....nothing...not even a hint of carbonation. Pours flat as can be. May as well be pouring a glass of wine.

S- Black cherries and a hint of spice.

T- Flat cherry soda. Hint of spice...similar to a spiced cider.

M- ?? No carbonation. Taste almost like a flat, gone bad cherry kiddie drink juice box.
Quite warm after the swallow.

O- A big disappointment. Wanted to like this. But, I can't even remotely call this a "beer". NOTE: Was pretty highly rated by Draft Magazine. Ehhhh...0 for 2 tonight. (513 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

bomber poured into a tulip

A- amber red in color, little to no carbonation.

S- cherries and a little funk

T- subtle cherry taste with a hint of cinnamon at the end.

M- medium body little carbonation.

D- I was pleasently surprised by this beer I have had it for a year and wish I would have tried it sooner. (311 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -28.1%

Best by 12/31/25. Consumed cold.

Pours a cranberry juice red with ZERO head. No lacing whatsoever. The only smell I am getting from this one is of cherry soda. Taste is of medicinal cherry syrup, flat cherry soda, and cherry cider. I mean there is definite cherry going on here but it's far from what I would consider beer. No carbonation with a very flat mouthfeel. Hard to drink really because of this. Overall, I am not impressed with this offering from Unibroue. I am glad I got to try this one as I have never seen it before, but I do not like this whatsoever. (566 characters)

I'm not sure how old this bottle is, but it says best before 2021, so it still is 10 years before it expires. Pours a ruby-brown colour with some bubbly white head that quickly dissipates to nothing. Smells of sweet cherry. This doesn't taste too much like a beer, but more like a cherry liqueur. Flavour is nicely balanced with sweet and sour. Not too much carbonation, as the bottle indicated. I'm really enjoying this beer, though it isn't quite like anything I've had before. (479 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured into a snifter. Pours a ruby/brown, no head. Good, but not exciting.
Smells like cherries, spice and a hint of dark malts.
Tastes like sweet, alcoholic cherry cider with some spice near the finish. Not much of a beer-like taste comes through.
The thickness is nice and it goes down smooth.
I was looking for a sour and came up with this, which isn't a bad thing, but not a sour. I get the feeling that with a bit more age some sour might pull through. Not my style though. (479 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Beautiful color and delicious smell, but lacking in body and substance.

Poured from big bottle into a Unibroue tasting tulip glass. Definative lack of carbonation, maybe this one blew it's top at one time or another. Body wise to thin to stand on its own without more carbonation, lacking in complexity. I just going to stop here because either something is not right or its just not all that. (394 characters)

Quelque Chose from Unibroue