Quelque Chose - Unibroue

Quelque ChoseQuelque Chose

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Quelque Chose Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The bottle is beautiful. Gold cursive lettering, smooth, slender, highly polished brown glass, champagne wiring on top, just gorgeous presentation. The ale itself has the expected cherry red color, no head or collar at all, and no carbonation that I could see, which is kind of strange considering the champagne wiring which I figured was there to keep a highly carbonated beverage from blowing the cork. Hmm, I guess it's for show only.

Initial flavor is a sweet cherry rush, like a Vick's cherry throat lozenge. For a sour ale, this is a sweet cherry beer! My wife classifies it more as a wassail and didn't care for it cold, but wants to try it this fall/winter warmed up.

The solid fruit flavor clearly dominates, like eating a piece of cherry pie, in fact this would be good with cherry pie or scones. I pick up the vaguest hint of throat burn like carbonation, but I'm not sure because this has no bubbles at all. Picking up a hint of a yeasty flavor, too, but detecting other characteristics takes some concentration because of the overpowering cherries.

Alcohol mixes with the cherry as the aftertaste arrives giving a slightly medicinal taste, a little bit nutty as well I think. It is here that you finally get a sour or tart component. They say in the fall, there is less sunlight for the trees, which makes the leaves' true colors come out - that kind of happens here. Once the flood of sweetness and cherries subside, the true nature of this sour ale reveals itself to some degree.

This is my first try of something like this and if I can find another bottle, I will grab it and store it for the autumn.

brewdlyhooked13, May 24, 2003
4.13/5  rDev +8.7%

I tried this one at both room temperature and mulled:

Pours a deep and slightly hazy ruby with some gold highlights. Has a few lage bubbles that stick to the side of the glass.

At room temp, the beer has a slightly subdued aroma, although it's still full of cherries, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon. After mulling, the aroma becomes more pronounced. The flavor is quite intense, becoming even more intense after mulling, beginning with sour cherries, then the spices take over... nutmeg is quite obvious, with some allspice, cloves and cinnamon... the finish is fairly bitter. Mouthfeel is quite full and thick, with very low carbonation.

This is an outstanding change of pace. Very drinkable, and very different.

zerk, Apr 29, 2003
4.28/5  rDev +12.6%

Served at Room Temperature.

Beautiful deep scarlet red color. No head or collar is observed. The aroma is pretty thick and sweet. Cinamon sticks, brown sugar, apple cider, cherry and a little pepper on the nose. My first impression upon sipping is the sweet character. This is one "Artisanal Sour Ale" that is not very sour. (Not even close to a Rodenbach in acidity.) Sweet cherry and brown sugar mix together nicely on the palate. Cinamon spicing accents with efficiency. Mouthfeel is similar to flat soda. There are some woody tones that come into play throughout the drink. There is some slight vinegar acidity and tartness, maybe some sour green apple......but the sweetness wins the battle in the long run. Nice concoction.

I have one more sample to be mulled at a later date.

Bighuge, Apr 19, 2003
3.43/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours a deep, dark red with absolutely no head even after a vigorous pour. Smell is an interesting combination of cherry, cinnamon, spice, and it seems like it finishes off with a hint of chocolate and pumpkin pie. Very interesting and complex smell, but I don't know that I would actually call it 'good'.

Unfortunately I think the smell is probably the best part of it. The taste has a bit of cherry, but even more spice and again, the hints of pumpkin pie. Mouthfeel is very smooth, but with no carbonation it was nothing special.

A very interesting beer. Everything about it reminds me more of a wine than a beer. I will not buy another one, but it was worth one bottle just to experience this very unique beer.

kwill, Apr 11, 2003
4.7/5  rDev +23.7%

Wow...I am buying as many bottles as I can find...since it is a limited brew...

Appearance...ruby red slightly orangey...NO carbonation or head whatsoever
Aroma...hint of cherry and some alcohol...
Flavor...this is what blew me away...and my wife loved it...tasted like a cherry cobbler...i mean it was cherry but it had the spices...nutmeg cinnamon...also that crust like flavor...not a typical beer drinkers beer...but I found this refreshingly good

Mouthfeel not too thick but a little syrup like

Drinkability...I polished off this bottle while writing the review...like I said...I'm getting as much as possible before I cant find it anymore...

stegmakk, Apr 09, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Drank cold...at room temp...and warmed (the wife said we didn't have proper equipment to "mull" so we just warmed it)...

Pours a relatively clear, orangish red...light red...a real interesting nose...the cherries are there obviously, but in a musty, leathery, musky kind of way....almost has a cologne type of smell to it...mouthfeel is good...pretty light on the carbonation but just enough to keep it from being syrupy...a hint of alcohol on the long finish...drinkability is strong...this is a treat to have once in awhile and I'm rating it as such...Obviously, the drinkability isn't high in that I would drink these 3-5 times a week or even a month....maybe once or twice a year...but when you drink it is unique and very drinkable...

Taste...Cold...flavors seem to be a bit tempered compared to the nose...cherries are evident but not overwhelmingly so....a musty note too....it seems bit muted at this temperature...

At room temperature the flavors (and nose) become a little stronger...the cherries start to emerge a little stronger..

Warmed the nose actually takes a bit of a drop...smells more like cider...cherry cider....same thing with the taste...feels like drinking a warm glass of cherry cider....much more tartness emerges when warmed up....mouthfeel is stickier too....Not a big fan of the mouthfeel at this temperature and I enjoyed the flavor the best at room-temperature, and then cold....the warm beer was interesting but the flavors i like were more present at room temperature and colder and the mouthfeel was better at those temperatures as well...

I like New Glarius Belgian Red much better (I'm not even sure if they are the xact same style but I enjoy that one more) but this is very good in its own way..... Definitely worth a bottle a year..

ZAP, Apr 05, 2003
3.08/5  rDev -18.9%

Well I got some bad news, hell just frozen over. I drank a unibroue product that I was not impressed with. Pours a dark burgundy color without any carbonation whatsoever. First tried drinking it like I would any other beer. It has a tart taste of cherry cobler which seems to overpower any other flavors. I didn't think this would sound good cold, but I did what the label said and put it on ice. Bad idea, this was my least favorite way to drink it. The cherry taste wasn't as overpowering, but it felt even less like a beer and more like a mixed drink. I tried it hot and surprisingly, this is in my opinion the only was to drink this. It tasted like a hot cherry pie straight out of the oven. I could see how that could appeal to many, but for me it was completely unexpected. Maybe I'll try it again after a snowy winter day, but upon first tasting, I found it dissappointing.

dmarch, Mar 30, 2003
4.6/5  rDev +21.1%

Pours red as rubies and has nearly no carbonation as is to be expected with this one. I chose to have it at nearly room temperature as recommended for the enthusiast. The flavor is purely incredible. The cherry flavor is spicy and sharp with a definite undertone of the malt. There are some flavors reminiscent of red wines as well with some mild bitter undertones. The mouthfeel is soft and dry There is a slow warming of the stomach as well. Overall this is a specialty ale that shows excellent craftsmanship and ability.

AtrumAnimus, Mar 27, 2003

2002 Edition of this fine brew. I first had this at my homebrew club meeting about 2 months ago and I really liked it. They served it mulled which to sounded a little wierd. I have bought about 7 bottles since and I always mull it before drinking.

Pours a steamy ruby red color with a light pink head that last for a while. A nice sexy lace is left behind on the sides of the glass. The rich smell or shall I say ripe smell of cherries pours out from the glass. Hop aroma is low to none.

Cherries, Cherries all the flavor of cherries and I can not wait to have this chilled on ice after mowing the lawn to see how the cherries come out in flavor. The hop flavor once again is nil.

Overall this is a good beer but if you think about the hops and the yeast that you would like to taste, this one misses by a lot. I really think you can amaze your friends and have them drink hot beer.

Cheers

kunzbrew, Mar 25, 2003
3.15/5  rDev -17.1%

2002 edition. Drank slightly chilled and at room temperature. Poured dark ruby with little head. This was closer to a fruit wine than beer in taste. A little sour and acidic with a moderate cherry taste. Next time I want a cherry beer I'm going back to the New Glarus Belgian Red.

ethosx19, Mar 24, 2003
4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

I was kind of suspect since I saw everyone elses reviews, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Ok, the color was a deep red color, kind of like a watery blood. Haha, maybe that was a little sick, but oh well. There was no head what so ever, which isn't usually something that I like. The smell was that of apples, cinnamon, some different spices, apples, and cherries. The taste was very similar to the smell. This review is for when I had it slightly chilled. I also tried it warmed up, but I thought that was nasty. It tasted like stomach bile mixed with fruit. Anyways, I really liked this stuff. Will I buy it again? As Jimmy Buffet says,"Only time will tell."

JISurfer, Mar 23, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

2002 vintage, room temperature tasting, in a small tulip glass...

Just a slight burp on opening, a ruby chestnet color with pale white spider tracks for a head. Very spicy fruitcake aroma, rum and cherries. Deep oaky and tanned leather flavors, tons of sharp allspice and tarragon and a cherrylike bourbon mouthfeel. Exudes additional spicing, rum/raisin, and a banana-bread note mid mouth. Cherries are not the stars in this beer, they are showcased in an ensemble cast. Slightly vinous attenuation and swallow. Well done experiment, to me, not gonna' drink a lot of this but a world of flavors play across the taste buds.

ADR, Mar 23, 2003
4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

Notes: 2002 limited edition 500ml bottling. Corked and Caged
Amazing! This beer is simply amazing, but then again is that a suprise? This brew poured a nice cherry red, pink-ish colour with absolutely no head and barely any carbonation or head to be found. The neck-tag on the bottle said that there were 3 ways to enjoy this beer. So i opted to try it all three ways. Out of the bottle I poured this liquid over ice in my chimay chalice. This was a very tasty, cold, and smooth way to drink this beverage. The aromas were of cherries, in fact it smelled like cherry pie filling. The taste was similar with some spices and warming alcohol coming into the mix. Next I tried this @ room temperature in my Chimay chalice. This was better. This beer had some more spicy and complex aromas and taste nuances when it was served at this warmer temperature. Finally, I tried this beer mulled. I heated the remaining 6-8 ounces in a home-made double boiler. I did not use a thermometer on the beer but I would say that it was definately 'sipping hot' at 150 degrees or so. Here is where Quelque Chose tasted the best, absolutlely amazing! Mulled this beer had an even spicer and more boozy aromas that filled the room. This warmed the body and mind and is the perfect beverage for a hot winters night.
Cheers!,
F.

Notes on a 4 or 5 year old U.S. 12oz bottle. The best-by-date for this $6 (!) 12oz bottle of beer was 10/2002. This bottle has been aging for 4 or 5 years but it is hard to tell. This pours still much like 'fresh' QC and the aromas are all quite similar. This version of QC was quite 'stronger' and more alcoholic than its fresh counterpart but it smelled wonderful, none-the-less. This also had a quite vinous aroma, almost like a cherry wine. The taste of this aged QC was very cherry-wine like, alcoholic and wonderful. This is just as good as fresh QC, just a bit different. The mouthfeel was a bit thicker than that of the fresh QC but that was nice. The drinkability is still very good, this may be better mulled as I only tried this aged sample over-ice and at room temperature. It was delectable both ways. This is an expensive special occasion beer, but do not be weary of old and out-dated bottles of this brew. The 500ml bottles were going for $7-9 by me..so $6 for 12 ounces really is not that bad. give the old 12oz version of QC a try if it is available by you....

Notes on an old US 750ml bottle. No front label, but the back label has a best-by date of 4-1998. This was very similar to fresh QC, in all aspects. The pour was still, dark red, and a bit yeasty. The aromas were all booze, spices, cherries, and malt. The taste was maltier than other versions of this brew, perhaps the recipe has changed, or the extra aging has made this beer maltier? I tried this sample at room temperature and mulled, it seemed a little old at room temperature, but once it was mulled, it shined! This is such a good warm sipping beer, definately a good one to have around for the winter months...Still awesome with 10+ years of aging beneath it's belt...This beer simply does not "go bad", it's aging potential seems to be smiliar to that of a traditional lambic (eg:cantillon) beer!

francisweizen, Mar 19, 2003
3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

2002 Edition.
The card that comes attached to the 500ml bottle reads, “Juicy sun-drenched cherries are steeped for months in this beer to give it a sensational summer-sweet flavor. Each mouthful is a reminder of the rapture and delight of warm summer days.” The card also describes the three ways to enjoy this brew year-round: on the rocks, at room temperature, and mulled. Since it’s a warm day, I’m enjoying mine on the rocks. The cork came out with the least amount of pop I’ve ever seen. In fact, it basically just fell out after I loosened it. It pours a slightly brownish deep red color with no trace of head. Nose is allspice and cinnamon with some underlying cherry aromas. Taste is similar to spiced cider with additional notes of dark cherries that are initially sweet but also have a strong tartness that comes through in the finish. A very refreshing brew (at least on the rocks) and probably the most unusual beer I’ve ever sampled.

Morris729, Mar 14, 2003
2.3/5  rDev -39.5%

I must say, this is the first product from Unibroue with which I have not been impressed. I tried this brew chilled, and was not interested enough to give it a shot warmed, as the bottle suggests as an alternative. Acidic and fruity, as though the cherries had not been pitted. There was some odd spice that I could not identify. I finally got up and went to the spice cabinet and started opening and smelling the spice jars to see if I could figure out what I was tasting. Thyme came closest. The beer had a lot of complexity, but I simply did not care for the end result.

Brent, Mar 08, 2003
3.8/5  rDev 0%

Served at room temp: Amber in color, the head is small and dissappears quickly. The aroma is strongly cinnamon and cloves with a cherry background. First taste, and cinnamon comes through the strongest to me. The mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy. Cinnamon and cloves seem to dominate the flavor, and the cherries are there but not pronounced very loudly at all. This is a very warming, winter kind of beer. I'll take this over cider for sure. I definitely wouldn't be able to drink a lot of this, but a small glass every now and then would be a nice dessert treat.

AudioGilz, Mar 03, 2003
3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

12 oz bottle. Best by 10/5/02 marked on the back of the bottle.

Mulled:
Aroma consisted of tart cherries, malt, cinnamon and alcohol. The cherries and malt combined for a delicious cherry pie/crust scent. Sort of a clear tawny ruby in color. Light pink head emerges when poured and quickly disappears. The mouthfeel seems thinner because of the heating and syrupy as it coats the tongue. Initial taste is sweet, followed by a tartness that can be a touch medicinal. Cherry flavor dominates. The alcohol is noticed throughout, but really hits in the finish.

As a mulled drink and served as a winter warmer, this isn't half bad. Not something one could drink a lot of, but served on occassion, Quelque Chose is a very unique and soul-warming beverage.

Winter, Mar 03, 2003
4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

2002.
Orange-scarlet hued. No head, as expected, except for the brief appearance of bubbles around the edges.

Room Temp:
Moderate tart cherry aroma with spice notes of cinnamon and clove. Cedar-like woodiness.
Taste very closely mirrors the aroma. Obviously, cherry is the main player in the mouth. But not to the expected extent. Minorly tart and equally sweet. Prolific cinnamon spicing. Cider-like qualities, tart white grapes and cedarwood flavors are noticed with a quick jab of alcohol.
Seemingly a light cherry wine. Decent drinkable, but as far as fruit beers go, not a favorite (score 3.5)

Mulled (130 degrees. give or take):
Pale pink head appears.
A bit more tart, with pronounced chocolate-covered cherries. Maltier as well. Cinnamon, menthol and ginger spicing. Touches of fruity yeast(?). Continued (perhaps enhanced) woodiness. Medicinal, but welcome alcohol.
Very nice on a frosty winter's eve.

Definitely one to serve warm. (See posted score for mulled ratings.)

cokes, Feb 08, 2003
3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

Smell of tart cherries greets the nose upon opening. Pours without any head and no noticeable carbonation. I drank this at close to room temperature. A pretty reddish amber in the glass with a body similar to a port wine, but not quite as heavy. Aroma is of sour cherries, not offensive in the least. Minimal malt and hops in the taste, in fact, I couldn't perceive any hoppiness in the flavor. Tastes of tart cherries with an underlying hint of spices such as cinnamon. The maltiness is probably the closest this gets to the taste of a beer. A friend commented that it tasted like a cordial. An interesting brew that I would probably only drink on a special occasion or holiday.

LarryV, Feb 04, 2003
3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

Quite a surprise. Sour cherry taste. I tried it at several temperatures, cold, room, heated and got different characteristics at all three levels. Very thin texture and not nearly the effervescence that I expected. Somehere between a wine and a beer in taste, almost like a lambic. As much as I love Unibroue's other offerings, this is not quite suited to my palate.

mickstepp, Jan 12, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

The first glass at room temperature, just can’t bear the thought of ice at it advises, “On The Rocks”, the second glass will be mulled to the suggested temperature about 135 degrees or sipping hot.

(Room Temperature - Brandy Snifter): The pour a translucid cherry red color, absolutely no head and no lace to speak of? The smell of over ripe sweet cherries dominates the nose, quite sweet as one would imagine, spicy almost Wassail like in its spiciness, very pleasing to the senses. Extremely sweet and the essence of cherries predominant, top skimpy in feel, finish, dry and sweet, little or no carbonation, same for hops, tart and not bad, as I see it would make a great desert or even an aperitif.

(Mulled – Brandy Snifter): To me the difference is that it deepens the cherry sweetness and increases the tartness and the acidity also sharper, personally I like the “Mulled” better, as the flavors brighter and more impressive. Over all a pretty decent once a year type brew, or as a desert in its own right.

Gusler, Jan 05, 2003
4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

This is a very intriguing beer. Housed in a special black champagne styled bottle at 500ml, this 8%abv strong cherry ale comes complete with champagne style cork similar to most other Unibroue specialties.

I heated this one to 135'F and shared it with family and served it alongside some double chocolate mousse cake. The pairing of the two was very interesting with the cherry and cinammon flavors from the ale coming through loud and clear and served as an excellent accent to the chocolate of the dessert.

On corking the ale, there was little to no pop sound and very very little carbination. On pouring, it gave produced no head, except a very small foam ring on the outer edges of the glasses. (I served this in a traditional Spanish Coffee styled glass.) The ale is a very dark amber to red hue somewhat similar to a Zinfandel styled wine. Very little carbination was present, but there is 'some.'

The aroma gives off very strong smells of black cherry and cinammon and reminds me quite a bit of a traditional hot apple and spice drink that I'd sometimes drink when decorating Christmas trees while growing up.

Quelque Chose brings a lot of different concepts to the table and delivers well on them at every turn. Because it carries an 8.0%abv, its a great warming drink on its own, even without the added heat. One interesting note is to make sure that you allow this ale to slide along your tongue. Its very easy to force a hot drink such as coffee to the backside of your mouth each and every morning, but this ale should be savoured and slid from the front to the back of the mouth. The results are remarkable (and considerably different than banging it back like coffee).

I'm not exactly a big fan of the lambic style, for which this brew is undoutbedly modeled. However, because this brew can be served cold, at room temperature, and even hot, it offers up a traditional flavor with a new twist. And it works.

49degrees, Jan 02, 2003
1.78/5  rDev -53.2%

As soon as I popped the cork and you could hear and see no carbination at all, (why use a cork at all), I just knew I wouldn't care for this beer. When I smelled it, I smelt a sour clove (not cherry) note. When I tasted it, (twice) once cold, once room temp., I poured both down the drain. It was a flat sour clove and spicey taste that made me want to barf! No thank you for an expensive piece of S---! I wonder if this is suppose to be flat or I got two bad bottles? This beer was super flat. Almost like drinking a flat cola!

BeerManDan, Dec 30, 2002
4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Package: 500ml corked bottle, gilt letters on dark brown bottle, labeled 8% ABV. Best by 08-08-2002. Neck-tag.

Cost: $6.99 at Bottle King

Presentation: Mulled, in a heated mug at an initial 150º; tasted at 60º pre-mulling. Poured boiling water around previously warmed bottle in asparagus steamer to neck. Mug temperature 130º. Tasted down to 100º. Second mug with cinnamon stick. Accompanied by smoked oysters, olives, and Havarti on Triscuits.

Appearance: Exhibited some carbonation upon opening, but cork was not deformed by pressure and came out with the lightest “pop.” Definitely not flat. Mulled QC formed a loose, moist white head with large bubbles that hung on most of the way down to the bottom of the mug. In the glass, it was more brown than burgundy; like a cream sherry. Clear.

Smell: At 150º, alcohol was very prominent; towering above sweetness, cherries, spice. Aroma improved greatly at ~125º, where I think QC was at its best.

Taste: Evolved dramatically, peaking around 120º. Alcohol became more integrated, while more flavors came to the fore: elements of honey, sherry, raisins, and damson plums. A bit too sweet in comparison to Liefman’s Gluhkriek, but maltier and more like beer. I want to give it a 4.25. Contrasts beautifully with olives and cheese. Finishes well in the middle temperatures. At lower temperatures, it's more medicinal, like cherry Robitussin. At higher temperatures, alcohol and heat dominate and QC seems to evaporate in the mouth.

Mouthfeel: Velvety. Luxurious. Carbonation hung on through two mugs’-worth. Heat allowed flavors to truly fill the mouth. Became more one-dimensional as it cooled.

Drinkability: Nice as a special treat.

Backwash: A good attempt at a niche-style beer. Multiple personalities. I know my sister would enjoy this. It is also an excellent accompaniment to food. I think it would also go very nicely with foie gras or with venison or duck. Would stand up to rich, fruity sauces. Very drinkable, with little alcohol effect. Definitely worth a try. I recommend keeping the unused portion in its hot water bath and finding a cup that will retain the heat well. It cooled quickly in mine. Cinnamon stick is a nice addition. A great finish to an afternoon of snowman-building and sledding. Might mix well with hot chocolate in place of brandy or kirsch. My only real complaint: 500ml is an awkward size; too small to share between two people, especially considering the trouble one takes to mull it.

Dantes, Dec 29, 2002
4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

This beer poured a dark reddish amber color and formed no head to speak of. Just a small white line that would qualify more as lace than a head. The aroma was of cherries, but not the outdoor type you think of, but more the processed type you use in desserts. Also some other fruit elements which can best be described as giving it a fruit market/farm element to it. The flavor is of a similar sweet cherry style grown from marketing and mixing as opposed to pulled from a tree. Not overly sweet which helps it. The finish is slightly sweet with a touch of astrigency to it. Not the best that this brewer offers by far, but it's alright.

Wildman, Dec 25, 2002