Quelque Chose - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Quelque Chose Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

I prepared this mulled like has been suggested to me many times over. What a different experience that makes.

Served in a chalice from the brown 500 ml bottle with gold lettering. I've been aging this bottle for over half a year. Appearance is a rich, intense ruby, more like a cabernet. Immense lacing. Aroma of spices and tart cherry. Spices like cinnamon and nutmeg and allspice. Flavour matches it almost to a letter. Velvety mouthfeel, and goes down like baby bear's porridge--just right. Very fine, but probably best appreciated in the dead of winter in front of a fire or dim candle-lit room (save this for your special someone). Yeah, this is far better when warmed/mulled, the flavour alters greatly for the better. Something to be experienced.

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%

2002 Limited Edition

This one has no head or carbonation when poured out. It looks just like a glass of cranberry juice. The aroma is spicy, sweet, and full of tart cherries. The fruity, sweet cherries are predominating in the flavor, along with the tartness and the spiciness. It is relatively light and easy drinking, but you can tell it has an alcoholic kick. I had this one slightly chilled; I wouldn’t mind giving it a try hot, or over the rocks. Definitely an interesting brew.

3.79/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is a very very interesting beer. I have had this sitting in my fridge for a while now, and was waiting for the right moment to crack it open. After arriving home cold from a rainy night at a Philles game, I decided it was time.

As many have done, I also had to try this beer at different temperatures. I drank about 1/4 of the bottle very warm, steeping my glass in hot water, and drank the rest of it in a normal fashion. Upon opening the bottle, a sour cherry aroma spews out. It smells like cherry cheesecake. The warm sample had a much more complex aroma. Cherries, cinnamon, spices, and a hint of alcohol were detectable.

Everything seemed to have more complexity in the warmer sample. The flavor was a tad different. The cherry flavor is not as strong in taste as it is in the nose. I did notice the 8% alcohol...it is not overpowering but it is very noticeable. Mouthfeel is thin as it warms the throat. This is not something I could drink a lot of...one bottle is all I could handle because it is a bit sweet. However, the one bottle I had, at both temperatures, is very enjoyable. Definitely one to try, for its uniqueness, both warmed and cooled.

3.82/5  rDev +0.5%

I'm not really sure this stuff is "beer", but I'll review it anyways.

Quelque Chose pours with a deep red body and no head, and just a little fizz. The aroma is that of tart fresh-picked cherries, quite pleasant. Tastewise, it tastes a little more like a cocktail than a beer, with very strong cherry flavors, but unlike a cocktail the sweetness was rather muted. The mouthfeel is wonderful, it dances over your tongue almost like a sherry. It also has a wonderful warmness to it's mouthfeel.

I've had this twice, at room temperature and heated on the wood stove. It's pleasant both ways. I recommend it, but not in a beer-drinking sort of way... think of it as a substitute for a sherry or a mulled wine.

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

500ml bottle. Poured a copper red with no discernable head or even carbonation. Aroma of cherries and spice. Taste starts out lightly sweet, then the tartness of the sour cherries kicks in. Tastes just like a tart cherry pie. This goes down so smooth. And the tartness hides the alcohol. This would be a great winter warmer, a nice sipping relaxing drink.

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%

750 ml bottle purchased in December of 2002 (which had been released in early 2000, I believe). Tasted it at room temperature and a small sample warmed up.

Appearance: reddish brown hue, pretty good clarity, absolutely no head

Aroma: like port or kijafa, cooked cherries, alcohol, no hops

Flavor: fruity and sweet, luscious flavor of cooked cherries, almondy accent, slightly tart, no hop flavor or bitterness, sweet sour finish, very wine-like, reminiscent of Cherry Luden's cough drops and cherries jubilee

Mouthfeel: very light bodied for the high abv, no carbonation whatsoever, warming sensation

Overall Impression: I was a little perplexed at first because of the lack of carbonation (thought maybe I had a defect cork). Had a hard time describing this beer or whatever it is. Good with dark chocolate. Tried it warmed up as well, but I liked the flavor much better at room temp (currently 75 deg F). Reminds me of the Glogg we drank back in my mother/father-land. I'd enjoy this a lot more if it was cold outside.

3.42/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a copper/red color with no head to speak of,the aroma was tart and of bubblegum?Taste was a little weird at first but after a few sips the tartness seemed to balance out a little but I still didnt care to much for the aftertaste.Well I can say I tried it,I may try again and warm it a little.

4.02/5  rDev +5.8%

It poured a lovely clear red, with a coppery brown tint. Almost lifeless, there was only the barest suggestion that there was ever once carbonation. I tried this one cold, so one day I'll have to try it hot.

The aroma holds tons of cherries, along with some general fruity and sweet wildness. Lots of oaky sourness in the smell, with some clove and a hint of malt.

Wow. It took me a bit to work up the guts to actually taste it, and I think I'm glad I did. The cherries and cloves are obvious, but it's the other stuff that's the most interesting. There is a tart acetic flavour, with some barnyard and oaky depth that mingles with a faraway maltiness. I also sense a fair bit of almost citric freshness in there as well. It's incredibly .... organic. It's so hard to describe in words. In a mouthful, I go back and forth from REALLY liking it to being a bit overwhelmed by it.

It's fruity sweet, with a rich and slick candy feeling in the mouth.

The drinkability suffers only because it really goes far out on that cherry limb, and it's quite sweet and clovey. But then, Unibroue's motto is "drink less, drink better" so I can hardly fault it for that.

4.92/5  rDev +29.5%

A heated bottle at Fourquet Fourchette (Unibroue's restaurant in Chambly...) My quest to find some Quelque Chose finally ends, at the beer's hometown. And what a beautiful town it is, not to mention the restaurant (the brewery's not so bad either - very clean). Served in the appropriate glazed pottery cup/mug thingy.

Dark reds and purples abound in this ferociously dark and slightly oily beer. The head's like (soda) pop, well tinted by the beer and it disappears almost immediately.

First whiff comes before I even pick up the cup. Cherries, sodden wood and a dose of spice. Don't pick this up and breathe deeply from the mouth of the cup. Well, do it once to understand, but the acid and spice certainly make an impression in your nose.

First taste is too hot, almost burns the tongue. I swallow anyways, then blow on the rest to cool it. Tastes like a mulled apple cider (except it's mulled sour cherry ale.... of course). Heaps of cloves in the body, alonfg with a couple others I can't place at the moment - allspice maybe? Tartness of cherries abounds, ever fighting with a slightly cloying thick sweetness. At the swallow comes an acid burn at the back of the throat. That's what makes this beer.

Start with a hot bottle, and work your way down gradually. Don't keep it hot, but leave it out on the table. The character of this beer changes immensely as it cools, and it's wonderful to experience. When only lukewarm, the acid burn fades and the cherries and cloves take center stage. It's ever so drinkable in this fashion, as you travel from one flavour to another.

A truly unique beer, and not to be underestimated or dismissed as a novelty. This is amazing. I'm in love (both with the beer and the town).

"Quelque Chose" means "something". What a great enigmatic name for a beer. The slogan is "L'Hiver, c'est quelque chose" : "The winter, it's something". (also an appropriate beer on a beautiful spring day sitting on a patio looking out over a beautiful lake and being served by people in historical "New France" clothes).

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

I was worried after I had bought this. I noticed a small "use by 4-98" and wondered if I had just bought a bottle of junk. I opened it to no pop of carbonation at all. The beer poured absolutly flat: no carbonation at all. The aroma was that of sour cherries. The taste was pretty similar, although there was a mild hint of sweetness in the background. I let it warm up to around room temperature, but I couldn't drink it warmed as the bottle suggested. I still have a hard time calling these Belgian style creations "beers", but I love them none the less. This isn't for everyone, but this was well done!!

3.59/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The bottle is beautiful. Gold cursive lettering, smooth, slender, highly polished brown glass, champagne wiring on top, just gorgeous presentation. The ale itself has the expected cherry red color, no head or collar at all, and no carbonation that I could see, which is kind of strange considering the champagne wiring which I figured was there to keep a highly carbonated beverage from blowing the cork. Hmm, I guess it's for show only.

Initial flavor is a sweet cherry rush, like a Vick's cherry throat lozenge. For a sour ale, this is a sweet cherry beer! My wife classifies it more as a wassail and didn't care for it cold, but wants to try it this fall/winter warmed up.

The solid fruit flavor clearly dominates, like eating a piece of cherry pie, in fact this would be good with cherry pie or scones. I pick up the vaguest hint of throat burn like carbonation, but I'm not sure because this has no bubbles at all. Picking up a hint of a yeasty flavor, too, but detecting other characteristics takes some concentration because of the overpowering cherries.

Alcohol mixes with the cherry as the aftertaste arrives giving a slightly medicinal taste, a little bit nutty as well I think. It is here that you finally get a sour or tart component. They say in the fall, there is less sunlight for the trees, which makes the leaves' true colors come out - that kind of happens here. Once the flood of sweetness and cherries subside, the true nature of this sour ale reveals itself to some degree.

This is my first try of something like this and if I can find another bottle, I will grab it and store it for the autumn.

4.14/5  rDev +8.9%

I tried this one at both room temperature and mulled:

Pours a deep and slightly hazy ruby with some gold highlights. Has a few lage bubbles that stick to the side of the glass.

At room temp, the beer has a slightly subdued aroma, although it's still full of cherries, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon. After mulling, the aroma becomes more pronounced. The flavor is quite intense, becoming even more intense after mulling, beginning with sour cherries, then the spices take over... nutmeg is quite obvious, with some allspice, cloves and cinnamon... the finish is fairly bitter. Mouthfeel is quite full and thick, with very low carbonation.

This is an outstanding change of pace. Very drinkable, and very different.

4.27/5  rDev +12.4%

Served at Room Temperature.

Beautiful deep scarlet red color. No head or collar is observed. The aroma is pretty thick and sweet. Cinamon sticks, brown sugar, apple cider, cherry and a little pepper on the nose. My first impression upon sipping is the sweet character. This is one "Artisanal Sour Ale" that is not very sour. (Not even close to a Rodenbach in acidity.) Sweet cherry and brown sugar mix together nicely on the palate. Cinamon spicing accents with efficiency. Mouthfeel is similar to flat soda. There are some woody tones that come into play throughout the drink. There is some slight vinegar acidity and tartness, maybe some sour green apple......but the sweetness wins the battle in the long run. Nice concoction.

I have one more sample to be mulled at a later date.

3.42/5  rDev -10%

Pours a deep, dark red with absolutely no head even after a vigorous pour. Smell is an interesting combination of cherry, cinnamon, spice, and it seems like it finishes off with a hint of chocolate and pumpkin pie. Very interesting and complex smell, but I don't know that I would actually call it 'good'.

Unfortunately I think the smell is probably the best part of it. The taste has a bit of cherry, but even more spice and again, the hints of pumpkin pie. Mouthfeel is very smooth, but with no carbonation it was nothing special.

A very interesting beer. Everything about it reminds me more of a wine than a beer. I will not buy another one, but it was worth one bottle just to experience this very unique beer.

4.65/5  rDev +22.4%

Wow...I am buying as many bottles as I can find...since it is a limited brew...

Appearance...ruby red slightly orangey...NO carbonation or head whatsoever
Aroma...hint of cherry and some alcohol...
Flavor...this is what blew me away...and my wife loved it...tasted like a cherry cobbler...i mean it was cherry but it had the spices...nutmeg cinnamon...also that crust like flavor...not a typical beer drinkers beer...but I found this refreshingly good

Mouthfeel not too thick but a little syrup like

Drinkability...I polished off this bottle while writing the review...like I said...I'm getting as much as possible before I cant find it anymore...

4.32/5  rDev +13.7%

Drank cold...at room temp...and warmed (the wife said we didn't have proper equipment to "mull" so we just warmed it)...

Pours a relatively clear, orangish red...light red...a real interesting nose...the cherries are there obviously, but in a musty, leathery, musky kind of way....almost has a cologne type of smell to it...mouthfeel is good...pretty light on the carbonation but just enough to keep it from being syrupy...a hint of alcohol on the long finish...drinkability is strong...this is a treat to have once in awhile and I'm rating it as such...Obviously, the drinkability isn't high in that I would drink these 3-5 times a week or even a month....maybe once or twice a year...but when you drink it is unique and very drinkable...

Taste...Cold...flavors seem to be a bit tempered compared to the nose...cherries are evident but not overwhelmingly so....a musty note too....it seems bit muted at this temperature...

At room temperature the flavors (and nose) become a little stronger...the cherries start to emerge a little stronger..

Warmed the nose actually takes a bit of a drop...smells more like cider...cherry cider....same thing with the taste...feels like drinking a warm glass of cherry cider....much more tartness emerges when warmed up....mouthfeel is stickier too....Not a big fan of the mouthfeel at this temperature and I enjoyed the flavor the best at room-temperature, and then cold....the warm beer was interesting but the flavors i like were more present at room temperature and colder and the mouthfeel was better at those temperatures as well...

I like New Glarius Belgian Red much better (I'm not even sure if they are the xact same style but I enjoy that one more) but this is very good in its own way..... Definitely worth a bottle a year..

3.09/5  rDev -18.7%

Well I got some bad news, hell just frozen over. I drank a unibroue product that I was not impressed with. Pours a dark burgundy color without any carbonation whatsoever. First tried drinking it like I would any other beer. It has a tart taste of cherry cobler which seems to overpower any other flavors. I didn't think this would sound good cold, but I did what the label said and put it on ice. Bad idea, this was my least favorite way to drink it. The cherry taste wasn't as overpowering, but it felt even less like a beer and more like a mixed drink. I tried it hot and surprisingly, this is in my opinion the only was to drink this. It tasted like a hot cherry pie straight out of the oven. I could see how that could appeal to many, but for me it was completely unexpected. Maybe I'll try it again after a snowy winter day, but upon first tasting, I found it dissappointing.

4.56/5  rDev +20%

Pours red as rubies and has nearly no carbonation as is to be expected with this one. I chose to have it at nearly room temperature as recommended for the enthusiast. The flavor is purely incredible. The cherry flavor is spicy and sharp with a definite undertone of the malt. There are some flavors reminiscent of red wines as well with some mild bitter undertones. The mouthfeel is soft and dry There is a slow warming of the stomach as well. Overall this is a specialty ale that shows excellent craftsmanship and ability.

2002 Edition of this fine brew. I first had this at my homebrew club meeting about 2 months ago and I really liked it. They served it mulled which to sounded a little wierd. I have bought about 7 bottles since and I always mull it before drinking.

Pours a steamy ruby red color with a light pink head that last for a while. A nice sexy lace is left behind on the sides of the glass. The rich smell or shall I say ripe smell of cherries pours out from the glass. Hop aroma is low to none.

Cherries, Cherries all the flavor of cherries and I can not wait to have this chilled on ice after mowing the lawn to see how the cherries come out in flavor. The hop flavor once again is nil.

Overall this is a good beer but if you think about the hops and the yeast that you would like to taste, this one misses by a lot. I really think you can amaze your friends and have them drink hot beer.

Cheers

3.18/5  rDev -16.3%

2002 edition. Drank slightly chilled and at room temperature. Poured dark ruby with little head. This was closer to a fruit wine than beer in taste. A little sour and acidic with a moderate cherry taste. Next time I want a cherry beer I'm going back to the New Glarus Belgian Red.

4.09/5  rDev +7.6%

I was kind of suspect since I saw everyone elses reviews, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Ok, the color was a deep red color, kind of like a watery blood. Haha, maybe that was a little sick, but oh well. There was no head what so ever, which isn't usually something that I like. The smell was that of apples, cinnamon, some different spices, apples, and cherries. The taste was very similar to the smell. This review is for when I had it slightly chilled. I also tried it warmed up, but I thought that was nasty. It tasted like stomach bile mixed with fruit. Anyways, I really liked this stuff. Will I buy it again? As Jimmy Buffet says,"Only time will tell."

4.09/5  rDev +7.6%

2002 vintage, room temperature tasting, in a small tulip glass...

Just a slight burp on opening, a ruby chestnet color with pale white spider tracks for a head. Very spicy fruitcake aroma, rum and cherries. Deep oaky and tanned leather flavors, tons of sharp allspice and tarragon and a cherrylike bourbon mouthfeel. Exudes additional spicing, rum/raisin, and a banana-bread note mid mouth. Cherries are not the stars in this beer, they are showcased in an ensemble cast. Slightly vinous attenuation and swallow. Well done experiment, to me, not gonna' drink a lot of this but a world of flavors play across the taste buds.

4.55/5  rDev +19.7%

Notes: 2002 limited edition 500ml bottling. Corked and Caged
Amazing! This beer is simply amazing, but then again is that a suprise? This brew poured a nice cherry red, pink-ish colour with absolutely no head and barely any carbonation or head to be found. The neck-tag on the bottle said that there were 3 ways to enjoy this beer. So i opted to try it all three ways. Out of the bottle I poured this liquid over ice in my chimay chalice. This was a very tasty, cold, and smooth way to drink this beverage. The aromas were of cherries, in fact it smelled like cherry pie filling. The taste was similar with some spices and warming alcohol coming into the mix. Next I tried this @ room temperature in my Chimay chalice. This was better. This beer had some more spicy and complex aromas and taste nuances when it was served at this warmer temperature. Finally, I tried this beer mulled. I heated the remaining 6-8 ounces in a home-made double boiler. I did not use a thermometer on the beer but I would say that it was definately 'sipping hot' at 150 degrees or so. Here is where Quelque Chose tasted the best, absolutlely amazing! Mulled this beer had an even spicer and more boozy aromas that filled the room. This warmed the body and mind and is the perfect beverage for a hot winters night.
Cheers!,
F.

Notes on a 4 or 5 year old U.S. 12oz bottle. The best-by-date for this $6 (!) 12oz bottle of beer was 10/2002. This bottle has been aging for 4 or 5 years but it is hard to tell. This pours still much like 'fresh' QC and the aromas are all quite similar. This version of QC was quite 'stronger' and more alcoholic than its fresh counterpart but it smelled wonderful, none-the-less. This also had a quite vinous aroma, almost like a cherry wine. The taste of this aged QC was very cherry-wine like, alcoholic and wonderful. This is just as good as fresh QC, just a bit different. The mouthfeel was a bit thicker than that of the fresh QC but that was nice. The drinkability is still very good, this may be better mulled as I only tried this aged sample over-ice and at room temperature. It was delectable both ways. This is an expensive special occasion beer, but do not be weary of old and out-dated bottles of this brew. The 500ml bottles were going for $7-9 by me..so $6 for 12 ounces really is not that bad. give the old 12oz version of QC a try if it is available by you....

Notes on an old US 750ml bottle. No front label, but the back label has a best-by date of 4-1998. This was very similar to fresh QC, in all aspects. The pour was still, dark red, and a bit yeasty. The aromas were all booze, spices, cherries, and malt. The taste was maltier than other versions of this brew, perhaps the recipe has changed, or the extra aging has made this beer maltier? I tried this sample at room temperature and mulled, it seemed a little old at room temperature, but once it was mulled, it shined! This is such a good warm sipping beer, definately a good one to have around for the winter months...Still awesome with 10+ years of aging beneath it's belt...This beer simply does not "go bad", it's aging potential seems to be smiliar to that of a traditional lambic (eg:cantillon) beer!

3.97/5  rDev +4.5%

2002 Edition.
The card that comes attached to the 500ml bottle reads, “Juicy sun-drenched cherries are steeped for months in this beer to give it a sensational summer-sweet flavor. Each mouthful is a reminder of the rapture and delight of warm summer days.” The card also describes the three ways to enjoy this brew year-round: on the rocks, at room temperature, and mulled. Since it’s a warm day, I’m enjoying mine on the rocks. The cork came out with the least amount of pop I’ve ever seen. In fact, it basically just fell out after I loosened it. It pours a slightly brownish deep red color with no trace of head. Nose is allspice and cinnamon with some underlying cherry aromas. Taste is similar to spiced cider with additional notes of dark cherries that are initially sweet but also have a strong tartness that comes through in the finish. A very refreshing brew (at least on the rocks) and probably the most unusual beer I’ve ever sampled.

2.34/5  rDev -38.4%

I must say, this is the first product from Unibroue with which I have not been impressed. I tried this brew chilled, and was not interested enough to give it a shot warmed, as the bottle suggests as an alternative. Acidic and fruity, as though the cherries had not been pitted. There was some odd spice that I could not identify. I finally got up and went to the spice cabinet and started opening and smelling the spice jars to see if I could figure out what I was tasting. Thyme came closest. The beer had a lot of complexity, but I simply did not care for the end result.

Quelque Chose from Unibroue