Quelque Chose - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Quelque Chose Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Dark reddish-brown, almost matches color of bottle. Served slightly chilled---and then warmed as held glass in two hands. Very nice spicy taste, like nutmeg/ allspice. Almost syrupy at first, thinner as it warms. Very tobacco-like nose when at room temp. Just enough cherry to know it's there without being too sweet/fruity. I would probably love it when hot. At a public tasting and servers did not (as I didn't) know it is best served warm.

3.15/5  rDev -17.1%

750ml bottle. Best before 12/31/2025. Served in a snifter.

Appearance: Reddish brown in color. Pours completely still with zero head or visible carbonation. If I didn't know better, I'd think it was a glass of iced tea.

Smell: Maraschino cherries, mint, menthol, dark fruit. Smells a bit like a cherry cough drop.

Taste: Medicinal cherry dominates the palate. Also getting some cinnamon and a slight breadiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a slick oily mouthfeel. Very slight twinge of carbonation but otherwise nearly flat.

Overall: Not a fan of this one. The lack of carbonation was a problem, but I can chalk that up to personal preference. The main issue I had was the medicinal artificial cherry notes that dominated both the smell and palate. It's not terrible, but I wouldn't get it again.

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

A - Dark brown-red with a touch of bubbles around the edges.

S - Sweet caramel and dark caramel malts, sour cherries, other dark fruits, vinegar, some Belgian yeast.

T - Sweet caramel and dark caramel malts, sour cherries, and other dark fruits, acidity, some Belgian yeast character.

M - Medium bodied with low carbonation. Smooth and a bit thick with a sweet and lightly sour finish.

D - Nice fruit beer. Could use a bit more carbonation, however the flavors are really nicely balanced.

4.75/5  rDev +25%

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

3.59/5  rDev -5.5%

First beer of 2013! Didn't read the label and was surprised when I popped the cork that there wasn't much of a *POP*. Poured the beer into a small glass and noticed there is very, very minimal carbonation, which at first I thought was a mistake. Brunt amber color with garnet hues. Again, zero bubbles sitting on top of this beer. I finally read the label and felt better that it was like this. Can't say it is very attractive for a beer, but won't knock it since that was intentional.

Smell is good! Sour cherries in the aroma, plus a small amount of vinegar, which helps add a layer of complexity. Reminded me of the Flemish Red from Monks Cafe. Deep and rich notes of cherry dominate though and it works for this beer.

Taste has notes of chocolate and cherry, and a little bit of acetic acid. Alcohol is very well hidden, and it drinks almost like a soda (of course without the carbonation).

Mouthfeel is of course on the "flat" side, but again, that is intentional so I can't say that wasn't called for. However, I think I would have given a higher rating for something with a little bubbly.

"Quelque Chose" certainly lives up to the name. I would say that it is a beer worth trying. Like the first time I ever tasted Lindeman's Framboise, this beer will make you think about what does it mean to have a beer? They call for this to be poured on the rocks, OR served warm. This is one interesting beer, with some good flavor and a beautiful aroma. My friends that I split the bottle with REALLY enjoyed it and wanted to find more of it...so that's a good sign!

1.92/5  rDev -49.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My girlfriend picked this beer up because the label looked cool. As soon as I read the description I knew it wasn't a beer that I would usually enjoy, but I try to make an effort to be open minded. When I first opened the cold bottle I first thought was uh-oh because there was no pop whatsoever. I poured two glasses and there was no carbonation and only a few bubbles coming up. I thought the beer had to be bad, and upon initial tasting this was my girlfriends conclusion as well. While the beer has no carbonation it wasn't completely off. It was a clear brown color and smelled sweet like cherry candy. The taste was similar - very sweet, lots of cherry, and kind of like candy. There is definitely a syrupy feel and taste. I did not enjoy it. What followed was a discussion as to whether or not we could ethically pour the bottle down the drain. That's when I did a little research and discovered that the beer was not supposed to be heavily carbonated. Surprised, we decided to re-cork the bottle and save it for mulling, which never ended up happening. Overall, this reminds me more of a sweet wine than a beer. Hell, it reminds me more of cough syrup than beer. Not for me.
On a side note, I used a cup of this beer in some chile. The chile was great, but I couldn't taste any of the beer - at least it wasn't wasted.

Quelque Chose from Unibroue