1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Quelque Chose - Unibroue

Quelque ChoseQuelque Chose

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Quelque Chose Alström Bros
4.11/5  rDev +8.2%

A - Dark brown-red with a touch of bubbles around the edges.

S - Sweet caramel and dark caramel malts, sour cherries, other dark fruits, vinegar, some Belgian yeast.

T - Sweet caramel and dark caramel malts, sour cherries, and other dark fruits, acidity, some Belgian yeast character.

M - Medium bodied with low carbonation. Smooth and a bit thick with a sweet and lightly sour finish.

D - Nice fruit beer. Could use a bit more carbonation, however the flavors are really nicely balanced.

ngeunit1, Feb 25, 2013

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

phishbone23, Jan 23, 2013

uturn, Jan 17, 2013
3.58/5  rDev -5.8%

First beer of 2013! Didn't read the label and was surprised when I popped the cork that there wasn't much of a *POP*. Poured the beer into a small glass and noticed there is very, very minimal carbonation, which at first I thought was a mistake. Brunt amber color with garnet hues. Again, zero bubbles sitting on top of this beer. I finally read the label and felt better that it was like this. Can't say it is very attractive for a beer, but won't knock it since that was intentional.

Smell is good! Sour cherries in the aroma, plus a small amount of vinegar, which helps add a layer of complexity. Reminded me of the Flemish Red from Monks Cafe. Deep and rich notes of cherry dominate though and it works for this beer.

Taste has notes of chocolate and cherry, and a little bit of acetic acid. Alcohol is very well hidden, and it drinks almost like a soda (of course without the carbonation).

Mouthfeel is of course on the "flat" side, but again, that is intentional so I can't say that wasn't called for. However, I think I would have given a higher rating for something with a little bubbly.

"Quelque Chose" certainly lives up to the name. I would say that it is a beer worth trying. Like the first time I ever tasted Lindeman's Framboise, this beer will make you think about what does it mean to have a beer? They call for this to be poured on the rocks, OR served warm. This is one interesting beer, with some good flavor and a beautiful aroma. My friends that I split the bottle with REALLY enjoyed it and wanted to find more of it...so that's a good sign!

MusicaleMike, Jan 05, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

smithj4, Jan 04, 2013

mychalg9, Dec 22, 2012

stereosforgeeks, Dec 17, 2012
1.85/5  rDev -51.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My girlfriend picked this beer up because the label looked cool. As soon as I read the description I knew it wasn't a beer that I would usually enjoy, but I try to make an effort to be open minded. When I first opened the cold bottle I first thought was uh-oh because there was no pop whatsoever. I poured two glasses and there was no carbonation and only a few bubbles coming up. I thought the beer had to be bad, and upon initial tasting this was my girlfriends conclusion as well. While the beer has no carbonation it wasn't completely off. It was a clear brown color and smelled sweet like cherry candy. The taste was similar - very sweet, lots of cherry, and kind of like candy. There is definitely a syrupy feel and taste. I did not enjoy it. What followed was a discussion as to whether or not we could ethically pour the bottle down the drain. That's when I did a little research and discovered that the beer was not supposed to be heavily carbonated. Surprised, we decided to re-cork the bottle and save it for mulling, which never ended up happening. Overall, this reminds me more of a sweet wine than a beer. Hell, it reminds me more of cough syrup than beer. Not for me.
On a side note, I used a cup of this beer in some chile. The chile was great, but I couldn't taste any of the beer - at least it wasn't wasted.

dharmabum326, Dec 02, 2012

KJabo, Nov 23, 2012

andthevolcano, Nov 07, 2012
3.28/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from 2010
Served on the rocks, pours a still reddish brown with a few stray bubbles coming out of the bottle. This smells a little like mulled cherry. There's a syrupy cherry sweetness in the aroma that is countered with spices like clove, cinnamon and nutmeg. The flavor follows the aroma to a tee. This is quite sweet and syrupy with a mulled cherry flavor to it. The spices provide minimal balance to the sweetness that is Quelque Chose. Medium to thick body with a sweet syrupy mouthfeel. Interesting "beer" but honestly a little too sweet for my tastes. Some bubbles would have really help in my opinion.

johnnnniee, Oct 28, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

With fruit beers, I just never know what to expect, and this fits the bill. It's a brownish liquid, lightened by some red. It looks like dark, flavored tea. There is almost no head. A few bubbles early on, then nothing.

Very cherry in the nose with clear additions of cinnamon and clove. Smells like wassail or some other warm weather cider-type drink.

The taste isn't like most other beers. The cherries are obvious from beginning to end, and while the cinnamon and clove are supporting cast members, they make an appearance toward the end of the show. A little bit of alcohol in the finish. No discernable hop presence.

It's very sweet and slightly tart. No carbonation. Feels a bit heavy, wine-like. Subtle spices. Warming in the end with a grainy, medicinal feel.

One of the stranger 'beers' I've had. Not sure I'd call it a beer. Once you get past the strange flavor and feel, it kind of grows on you. Definitely a sipper. Middle of the road for Unibroue.

RickS95, Oct 27, 2012

mdfb79, Oct 26, 2012

MammothTarantula, Oct 10, 2012

Kopfschuss, Oct 07, 2012

monitorpop, Oct 07, 2012

klipper, Oct 06, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

The bottle says to try it on the rocks and mulled so that's what we did.

Poured from a 750ml. bottle, best before Dec. 17, 2024 (code M17091619, bottled Dec. 17, 2009) and split with my wife.

Appearance: (COLD)/(HOT) - Zero head with the color a cross between sangria and iced tea.

Smell: (COLD) - Wood and cherries mostly. (HOT) - Fire roasted cherries, aroma stronger and comforting.

Taste: (COLD) - Sweetish-tart cherries, bit of wood, cherry pits and the finish is tangy. Real, authentic cherries. (HOT) - Mulled cherries, cork, not as good as cold.

Mouthfeel: (COLD) - Almost drinks like juice as it's so drinkable. (HOT) - Really reaches everywhere.

Overall: (COLD) wins as i like the taste and mouthfeel better that way though the aroma is better (HOT). Different for sure and not your usual beer.

papat444, Sep 07, 2012