Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Quelque Chose - Unibroue

Quelque ChoseQuelque Chose

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Quelque Chose Alström Bros
4.26/5  rDev +12.1%

Served warm from a 750ml corked and caged bottle

A- Mahogany in color with very little foam just clinging to the edges of the glass

S- Spicy, cherry, aged aroma similar to a cask-aged ale

T- Sweet, dried Montmorency cherry flavor with tart, dry aftertaste. Brown ale is masked by the intense cherry flavor.

M- Very little carbonation but when served warm left an overall tingly sensation in my mouth. Left a tart, dry feeling in my mouth afterwards.

Overall, a nice beer to sip with dessert or on a cold rainy day such as today. When the weather warms, I'll have to try it again cold but all in all a delicious interesting beer that isn't incredibly complex in flavor but still very enjoyable.

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

a- 750ml corked and caged bottle at room temperature, not chilled (unknown vintage) poured into a snifter, low carbonation, hazy amber brown with ruby highlights, no real head to be seen, slight ring around the glass.

s- straight cherry here, nice belgian brown backing up the pure cherryness wafting out of the glass, a touch sweet, not super funky, light spice.

t- wonderful authentic cherry flavor right off the bat, which has smooth savory brown ale undertones, and light spice. i've never had a beer before that wasn't served cold and wasn't necessarily intended to be - it wasn't a put off at all. this brew wasn't overly complex but i enjoyed it for what it was.

m- medium bodied, very very little to no carbonation.

d- really nice, my cousin brought this to a christmas party a few months ago and shared. i'd never heard of this beer and was very pleasantly surprised but how great and drinkable it was. this was a great sipper on a cold winter night. i'd like to get my hands on another bottle of this brew.

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

When served cool:

A-reddish chestnut with no head. I understand it isn't supposed to have any head but it still looks off with out it.

S-smells like a christmas candle...a good mix of cinnamon spices and cherries. its a fairly strong scent. smells nice!

T-tastes pretty much how it smells. tastes likes a wonderful autumn drink. its actually just a great beer. it has no negative tastes and the cherries and cinnamon hit and leave with a good strength. the matching after-taste lasts quite a well. its just a well balanced, tasty, and unique beer!

M-has a low soft carbonation with a slightly watery finish.

D-this is quite fun to drink. the tastes stay and seem to even come out more as the as it goes on. this is the second time i've had this and i'm sure i'll be having this again. i shared the bottle but i'm sure i could've had my own.

When served heated:

S-strong scent that smells like incense. the cherries and cinnamon aren't as pronounced as i feel the alcohol is slightly more noticeable.

T-the tastes overall seem to be slightly fainted. the cherries seems to be more tart and come out tasting a tad bit like cough syrup. the cinnamon doesn't really come out until the after-taste. its a fun drink but better off served cool than heated.

M-loss of all carbonation with the same finish

D-not as easy and fun to drink as the cooler serving, and it doesn't really beat any other warm alcohol i've had.

2.2/5  rDev -42.1%

Poured from a large bottle into a snifter.

A - I was a little put off by the fact that there was no hiss of carbonation when I uncorked it. There was no head or foam at all. Beer is a medium reddish amber and just slightly less than crystal clear.

S - The aroma is not like beer at all. It is like a birch beer with cherry cough syrup mixed in. I can't detect any hops, malt or alcohol in the aroma.

T - The taste is like some exotic homeopathic cough syrup or cherry juice in mulling spices. Again, the impression is very un-beerlike.

M - The body is thin to medium. Only the barest minimum carbonation fizz detectable. No alcohol burn.

D - I'm very disappointed. I bought it for the description on the bottle and I was expecting a dark beer with cherry and chocolate overtones. Instead this bottle was flat cherry juice with root beer herbs and spices (or is it dissolved Riccolo cough drops?) mixed in. I'm normally a big fan of Unibroue, but I think they really missed the mark with this one. Maybe my bottle had a bad cork and I'm tasting the results of some serious oxygenation.

3.22/5  rDev -15.3%

750ml into a tulip. No ice, not heated. Pours a transparent middling red. No head, no lacing, zero carbonation.

Aroma is sweet Ludens cherry cough drops backed by cinnamon, cardamom and clove, rather nice.

Cherry cough syrup flavor again backed by cinnamon and other spices. I expected the tart to be much stronger, it needs to be as the sweetness is in desperate need of being balanced. Improves nicely with warmth. Long lasting aftertaste. Thin but slick mouthfeel.

While not the cat's meow for me, I can imagine someone being enthralled with this brew. I may sprinkle cinnamon on my next slice of cherry pie!

3.82/5  rDev +0.5%

500 mL bottle
2002 vintage, consumed... right now!

Appearance- Into a snifter, slightly chilled. Pours a clear crimson color with some bubbles on the surface, but no head. No carbonation streams, this beer is flat, but from what I have heard, this was expected.

Smell- Cherry and apple cider. Musty earthy tones. Some light spicing, mostly cinnamon.

Taste- Has a very strong cider taste, with cherry on the backend. Some leather and a splash of vanilla. Slightly acidic, but apple and cinnamon are the dominant flavors I am picking up. A bit spicy, like Big Red chewing gum. Sweet but not cloying, the 8% is not noticed. The more you get into it, the cherry starts to stand out more.

Mouthfeel- Feels like juice in the mouth, completely flat, but not bad at all, it actually works.

Overall- No carbonation may actually be bringing the flavors out more; flat, but I am really enjoying the flavor. 8 years on this one, this is the oldest beer I have had to date and it is deffinitly still drinkable and enjoyable.

3.82/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from 750ml bottle into Tulip.

A. Zero head. No lacing. No retention. Color is ruby brown.

Warm. About a centimeter of head that vanished very quickly. A little bit of lacing. Same color.

S. Sour, sweet, a ton of different Cherry smells. Some spices. Maybe a little clove and cinnamon. Very interesting. Can't say I have smelled very many beers like this.

Warm. Spices might be a bit more predominant. Definitely has a warm cider smell to it.

T. Sour cherry. Lots of spices; cinnamon, clove, maybe a little vanilla. Very interesting taste as well. I am drinking this one cold but will definitely try again warm as I can see how this is like a cider, in fact there is some definite apple flavor going on. Taste is very unique. Reminds me almost of an herbal tea.

Warm. Many of the same flavors. Have to say that it tastes better to me warm. Seems more like a drink than a beer though.

M. Medium bodied. No carbonation. Finishes both sweet and sour.

D. Very unique to say the least. Maybe the strangest beer I have had yet. Drinkability is hard to gauge on this one. Pretty much everything is hard to gauge or describe here.

Warm. This is the way I would recommend this beer be drank. Not a huge improvement over having it cold, but definitely a different feel or experience. Has more a liquer feel to it when warm.

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

I rarely look at the score before reviewing a beer but I did and it seems my score is going to be well above the consensus. Oh well, its gone the other way before.
Pours a dark Ruby red with minimal head.
Smell is cherry, malty, a cherry cough drop with the faintest hint of licorice.
Taste is cherry, light licorice, malt, spices (cloves & ?).
Medium body (expected a bit more) with a light effervescence. Smoothish with a slight coating of the palate. Quite lambic-like as it warms. Yeah, baby this is good, very good.

3.87/5  rDev +1.8%

Quelque Chose is one of those rare breeds that can be enjoyed both hot and cold. I first learned about this at a tasting three years ago when I enjoyed it hot, so it's nice to meet again with this beer. Consumed on Christmas Day, and enjoyed both hot and cold, on to the beer:

This pours a lovely hue of autumn reddish orange, but there's not a head to be found, not even on the pour. It has cherry cough syrup aroma, but in a good way. Maple syrup adds another dimension to the aroma. To my surprise whie the cherry flavor is big, complimenting spice notes of nutmeg and cinnamon add another level of goodness. If that isn't enough, maple syrup jazzes up the experience. It is somewhat syrupy in the body, but nonetheless approachable in its drinkability. On the whole, it's a weird, yet refreshing beer served cold that works from a Christmas dinner to a summer evening refresher on the rocks.

Final score: 2.5/3.5/4/3.5/4 = 3.55

This is how I fondly remember Quelque Chose; served hot like a cider. While the color is the same heated, there actually is a short, but forever lasting bone white head on top that splashes lots of white lacing on the glass and sticks. Being hot, the aroma comes right up and smacks your nose around. Very cidery it is, like a sweet cherry cider, with a pleasant kick of cinnamon. The taste delievers strong cherry syrup to mind, but once again in a good way, with cinnamon and other bague cidery spices to the table. It's not as syrupy as it is cold, making it easier in the mouth, however it does not go down as fast served hot. Principally, this would be a fun alternative to hot apple cider during the cold months. If I were at Mont Tremblant in January, a 4-6 ounce pour of hot Quelque Chose would be a super way to warm my bones.

Final score: 4.5/4/4/4/3 = 4

4.37/5  rDev +15%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: This poured a clear crimson with no head. (Served hot.)
S: It smelled like licorice infused cherries, with tons of cinnamon and mulled spices. Cherry cider.
T: It tasted like strong sour cherry and mulled spices and clove and cinnamon. Definitely cherry cider. It had a delicious sweet and tangy aftertaste.
M: It was watery with a bit of carbonation. Thin but good for what it was.
D: This was hard to consider beer, but it was very easy to love it. A few cold sips were great, but drinking it hot was even better. I could drink it all night long (as long as it's cold outside). Who knows how it would age...I guess we'll find out in 15 years!

4.32/5  rDev +13.7%

A: Very ruddy copper color. Appears to be mostly in a liquid form rather than gaseous or solid state.

S: Very strong cherry scent when refrigerated. When heated, the cherry fades, but many of the spices come out stronger. Sour cherry and mulling spices dominate.

T: Very strong cherry. Cloves, cinnamon, and serious alcohol (when heated).

M: Somewhat thin. Relatively low carbonation. But it seems to work for this flavor.

D: Good overall balance. All of the people at the tasting seemed to enjoy this beer, and I thought it was good both cold and heated. Nicely drinkable in all ways recommended on the bottle.

3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

Deep cherry red pour. Light ring of a head. Nose is allspice, cloves, and a weird liquified cherry. Mouth is sweet, all cherries with those holiday spices. Allspice and nutmeg. This is very focused and singular, and it's not bad at what it does. Thin body, cherries here are nice but inevitably come off as fake somehow.

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

750 ml bottle, served cold. Pours a clear red with a small, white head. Aroma of cherry, sweet malt and some alcohol. Medium body, no carbonation. Big, sweet, cherry flavor, with caramel malt and some tanginess as well. Nice desert beer. I need to try it warm.

4.19/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from 750mL corked bottle into my Unibroue tulip. Bottle is listed as best before 31 December 2025, so it may be young but I'm drinking it anyway.

Appearance: rich, tawny amber hue with nothing in the way of head. Now, the bottle advertises that it is exceedingly low in carbonation, so I guess I can't fault it too much for that. Still, I like at least a little head on a beer.

Smell: rich, sweet, tart cherry and malt aroma. The malt backbone smells rich and heady and the cherries on top are ambrosial. I love it.

Taste: oh, my goodness, just what I like. Rich, sweet malt with slightly tart cherry flavor. The cherry here is just monstrously delicious and the malt backs it up nicely. The only issue is that it is a tad on the sweet side; still, it is awesome.

Mouthfeel: medium body with essentially no carbonation at all. Of course, since that was what the brewers intended, I guess I can't complain too much. Still, I would have liked a little carbonation here.

Drinkability: extremely delicious, if a bit sweet to session. I must remember this as a dessert beer, and I will definitely want to buy this again in the future.

2.05/5  rDev -46.1%

Poured this one out into a goblet. Worry seeps in though, as the cork didn't pop--just slid out...hope this isn't a bunk bottle.

The body is a red mahogany, opaque, with literally no head at all. None. I may as well be drinking a soft red wine.

Aroma is a musty, sour cherry with no real traces of malt or hops. Locker room aroma, mildewy...I am worried for my health.

The flavor doesn't strike me as being too off or rancid, which bodes well for the prospect of it not being a bad bottle. Definitely pick up the cherry, and a little alcohol, but unfortunately that is all the depth that this beer has. Finishes a touch sour, assumedly from the cherry.

A slick, sticky mouthfeel with virtually no carbonation whatsoever. Feels like it is straight from the fermenter.

A major misfire from one of my favorite breweries. I have always tried to seek perfection in life, which is by the world's nature, unattainable. However, I thought a glimpse of hope was the Unibroue ideal, never slip up, never relent, never pour a beer down the drain. I lose hope, and down the drain it goes.

4.48/5  rDev +17.9%

Reviewed cold, but also sampled mulled.

Pours a reddish tinged yellow-brown. The still body has no head whatsoever, and no carbonation. It looks flat, but indeed unique.

Huge spicy-fruit aromas on the nose. Cloves, spiced mead, mulled wine. Sweet citrus, and even a little boozy brandy. Buttery sweet throughout; rich and amazingly complex. Cherries come through as well, but instead of being the dominant character, they just meld in with all the others. Fantastic.

Sweet, thick and coating on the palate. A delicious sweet-tart sharpness, blended with a lingering rich heat of alcohol. Spicy with cloves and cinnamon at the end. Mouthfeel is very thick - suitable, despite being flat. Very nice indeed.

An incredible beer. Very unique and very drinkable. It's nice warm too, but I prefer it chilled.

3.72/5  rDev -2.1%

Gift courtesy of KickbacksSteve for Perfect Pair to enjoy as a true Cherry fix. Enjoyed the first half cold on ice. Warmed the second half of the bottle as suggested for a comprehensive experience.

Overall experience was "reminds us of a light cider mixed with real cherries and winter season spices, think mulled cider meets light hybrid fruit lager/cider or something like that"

Appearance was light pink cider type look. No noticable head given we served it on ice as suggested. Looks like a pink iced tea.
Smells of spiced apple butter, cherry with a hint of cinnamon spice. Much more intense cherry aroma as it was warmed.
Tastes like a light mulled cider with a dash of cherry character.
Mouthfeel was very light body and semi sweet on palate.
Drinkable as a winter time rarity with a group at the holidays, otherwise not my thing. Notably a very cool experience though.

3.42/5  rDev -10%

10/31/10 Served out of a bottle into a tulip.

Appearance - Hazy dark ruby red with absolutely no head at all due to the very low carbonation.

Aroma - Tart cherry, distinct dark fruit sweetness, an array of spices - cidery? cinnamon, clove, there are some spices present that I cannot put my finger on that is reminiscent of some used to season meat ( italian sausage?)

Taste - Very sweet, apple, cherry, spicey!, with a distinct tartness. This tastes more like a cider, or a spicy sangria than a beer to me! Seems to be a bit thin. Almost no apparent alcohol burn, maybe due to the immense level of spice and fruit. I wish I could pinpoint this more precisely but I taste meat of some sort - very strange.

Overall - This would be delicious if it were a spiced wine or something of the sort. I can really imagine this beer delicious hot which makes me question whether or not I would call it beer. Overall I'm not impressed but as an alcoholic drink I do find it relatively pleasing, if I want something spicy and fruity.

3.97/5  rDev +4.5%

A- Poured into a DFH snifter... amber/red color with pretty much no head or activity

S- Very sweet cherry aroma with cinnamon and a hint of booziness

T- Almost more of a wine than beer. Has an interesting sweet yet tart cherry taste, with a hint of malt and cloves in the finish

M- Light/medium body pretty much no carbonation... slick

D- Very tasty and easy to drink, though it really doesn't feel like drinking a beer. I would drink again in the future

Tried my second bottle today heated up... pretty good, though makes it seem less like a beer. Pretty much intensifies the flavor and aroma 1/8/11

4.46/5  rDev +17.4%

What a deliciously different brew this is. I will keep it on hand from now on, because it is an awesome apertif or digestif and works in the same capacity as a cordial. I'm not sure which way I love it more of the two suggested serving temps; it is amazingly soothing and delectably spiced when hot, but it is vividly flavorful and decadently refreshing when served on-the-rocks.

A - It is a drab brown with ruby-red highlights. Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say it is ruby-red with a russet haze permeating. There is no head or lace. There is no carbonation, either.

S - Cherries. Big-time fresh cherry aroma greets the olfactory, whether hot or cold. In the case of hot, it is less cherry, less sweet and more mulled-spicy. In the case of chilled, it is very sharply sweet red and black cherry notes, sans spice. Hot or cold, it is equally nice aromatically.

T - The brew is discernibly ale when tasted, which is not to say that it is tremendously beer-y, but that malt, yeast and balancing hop is apparent in the flavor. There is still a mother-lode of cherry flavor. The effect of the serving temp has juxtaposed properties in flavor as compared to the aroma. When heated, the cherry is more prominent, and provides a sharply tart and pungently sweet red-black cherry flavor, though still a bit mulled-spicy. The chilled brew has more spiced notes and malt flavor, with the cherry becoming somewhat more subtle with the melting of the ice, much as a Scotch-on-the-rocks mellows as the ice melts.

M - Good feel, very silky and velvety. The viscosity seems higher when heated, and is certainly lower when adulterated with water from melting ice.

D - Great stuff. I can see how cherry-haters could hate, and why someone who wanted to 'pound a few' would have disdain, but as far as enjoyable sippers go, this is up there.

4.17/5  rDev +9.7%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a red-brown with a nice head and some good lacing on the way down. The nose brings cherries, spice, some dark chocolate, and a bit of dark fruits. The taste brings the cherries to the front along with a bit of light chocolate and some sweet dark malt. Nice feel with a good amount of sweetness. I was anxious to try this when I first saw an ad for it, and I will say that it drinks quite well.

3.28/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured from a corked 1 pint 9 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip. The back of the bottle gives directions for drinking on the rocks and hot like mulled wine. I tried it at 50 degrees and warmed.

Appearance - Deep ruby colour with bright highlights and a thin, wisp of head. Very little carbonation - I could almost count the bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.

When warm: Raises a slight, lingering tan head

Smell - sour cherry with an overlay of anise.

When warm: A little more alcohol, anise is more pronounced; almost a little waxy.

Taste - slighty tart cherry with hints of allspice, clove and cinnamon, and a dash of cough syrup thrown in for good measure. Some background of raisins or plums. There is a lot here reminiscent of mulled wine.

When warm: Much more muted, but in the same vein but the spices are more forward.

Mouthfeel - light and slightly boozy, generally clean.

When warm: Slighty more viscous and chewy.

Drinkability - This is a slightly odd beer. I could see myself using it to replace some mulled wine at Christmas or using this in a marinade or for braising. Not something I'd drink all the time.

I based my scores on the regular temp tasting.

3.59/5  rDev -5.5%

Unibroue Quelque Chose

Appearance: Reddish brown, no head, and no lacing.

Smell: Cherries and malts.

Taste: Cherries, subtle hops, and faint malts.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light and syrupy.

Not bad. If you love cherries, you will love this. It reminds me of a framboise. It is slightly syrupy.

2.97/5  rDev -21.8%

appearance- very red in color with almost no head at all very little to no carbonation what so ever, quite simple and plain appearance

Smell- tart sour cherry, unique almost odd smell, not bad but odd

Taste- wow this is unique sour cherry almost tart sour juice, really doesnt remind me at all of a beer in any level, unique for sure, sweet up front with very tart finish keeping it in check, not bad to me but not beer either, medicinal taste in way

Mouthfeel- flat and medium bodied, almost sort of heavy

Drinkability- hmm just a really unique and different beverage really more of a sweet tart fruit drink then a beer, though its not gross not amazing drinking either just to much to drink much of, not something id look for again but in aspect of uniqueness glad i tried it

3.64/5  rDev -4.2%

Enjoyed on 09/11/2010 from a corked, brown 750ml bottle. Best before dating on bottle = 12/31/2025.

A: Pours a brilliant, clear burgandy. Not one bit of carbonated and hence no head, lacing, or retention (all to be expected).

S: Aroma is quite rich with tons of sweet and sour cherries, mulling spices (most notably cinnamon, clove and perhaps nutmeg; allspice?), and vanilla. It unfortunately reminds me of old NyQuil on the nose...

T&M: Cold (45 degrees F) - A warm spiciness, and a non-cherry tartness that seems to be a product of the yeast, probably due to some spontaneously fermented Belgians. Sweet, rich and intense, without a cloying syrupy mouthfeel (although I would've thought otherwise by the smell.

T&M: Room (72 degrees F) - The nose opens up a bit and reveals a dry mustiness combined with now evident alcohol which lightly stings the eyes with swirling. Now, the spices breathe and the sweetness is stronger.

T&M: Hot (160 degrees F) - Swirling produces a soapy pink head with good retention and some lacing. Alcohol is quite stinging to the nose now, but mellows with sitting. Astringency, sweetness, tartness and spices all staying together remarkably well.

D: Quite rich and intense. The Unibroue folks continue to impress in their creativity.

Quelque Chose from Unibroue