Edition 2004 - Unibroue

Edition 2004Edition 2004

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: taez555 on 12-10-2003)
View: Beers (36) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Edition 2004 Alström Bros
PlinytheFarter

Washington

12-09-2011 05:27:00 | More by rab53
bwyker

4.93/5  rDev +20.8%

Bottled exactly 3 years ago today, March 3, 2007. Served at cellar temps.

Poured with the typical high powered gush of carbonation that comes from most Unibroue beers, though this one settled a little faster. Off white foam floats on a musty , apricot orange. Lots of funk floating around in the glass -- expired yeast I would imagine. Outstanding aroma. Apple with a slight sourness. Flavor is a muted sweet caramel. Age did this one good. Fully matured sugars with notes of tangerine and some very subtle spices...nutmeg maybe. Mouthfeel is completely smooth. First few sips had a lot of carbonation, settled a bit after a few more. Drinkability is very high. No way you would know this one is above 10%. Alcohol is nowhere to be found and the light, sweet, complex flavor keeps you wanting another sip. Outstanding.

03-04-2007 02:36:36 | More by bwyker
sleazo

4.93/5  rDev +20.8%

I found all of the remaining 2004 editions at the Holiday Wine Cellars in Escondido. This might be my favourite beer. I am reviewing this now as i am down to just two bottles. This beer has matured since it was first released. I thought it was wonderful upon drinking it relatively fresh and have enjoyed sampling it over time.

A--A copper/reddish hue, nice deep head, dissipates quickly, leaving nice lace.

S- Currants, sweet malt/honey, slight alcohol. The aroma opens up as it warms. excellent smelling beer.

T-This beer is simply divine tasting. Slightly sweet with the unibroue yeast coming through with each sip. The alcohol is barely noticeable. There is a certain spiciness to this beer. During this tasting i am noticing a cinnimon twinge for the first time.

M- Very nice, not too thin, not too thick. Carbonation is mild. Tis one has mellowed with time.

D-I could drink this for the rest of my life.

01-07-2007 20:21:14 | More by sleazo
bnieman

Wisconsin

4.9/5  rDev +20.1%

A - Clear caramel color. Plenty of yeast sediment. Delicate lacing. Small bubble carbonation. A golden gem.

S - Decadent sweet Belgian candy with ripe dried fruit. Sensual and calming spices. Caramel malt.

T - Delicate caramel malt characteristics. Belgian yeast with a subtle sweetness. A beautifully enticing and unique flavor that's neither too sweet nor too dry. Perfectly balanced.

M - Smooth like a fine scotch.

D - Uniqueness promotes pacing yourself through the experience savoring every sip. After a glass the heat slowly but firmly kicks in.

2004-05-05 Production Date

I've had the pleasure of having this beer every year since 2005 and it amazes me how well it has aged. It matured around the end of 2006 and it's been outstanding ever since.

12-02-2010 02:28:07 | More by bnieman
cokes

Wisconsin

Growing up Unibroue: A Journal

Year 1.
They say I need time yet. I'm just released unto the world as my own being. Yet I feel primed to redefine. Primed to reinvent all notions of my lineage. How I've longed to erupt from the shadows cast by my forbearers, La Fin, Don de Dieu, 10, 11.
I want to carve my own niche. I want my own legacy, and I think I've found it.

I'm still budding, but looking at myself, I'm a statuesque honey hued, topped with a huge, loose froth of slightly yellowed teeth.
My supposed lot in life is to fall in line with my Belgian Pale Strong Ale cousins. Fuck that. I want to the expressionism that those Saison's have. Full of spice; freeform, expansive, and unconfined.
That's my desired path, and I'm well on my way.

Year 2.
Rosemary's has been my mentor. And it's said I reek of her influence, along with those of Pepper, Thyme, Sage, Cilantro. If I want acceptance into that boho Saison lifestyle, I've got to acquaint myself, know the rules, the nuance, the spice.

Year 3.
I was talking with Uncle Maudite the other day, and he was all "You're getting that rushing Unibroue carbonation....You're finally becoming a man.". I don't really like him, but I guess he's right. I can feel a newfound exuberance building up through my core. Then he was saying something, "you've got those melon and apricot traits from your mom's side". Maybe he's right, but I've been focused more on caramel malts, and as I grow and warm, I think they'll arrive more and more. But, again, Uncle Maud is right, I know I've got a lot of the family's tropical fruit. I can't help it. Looking in the mirror, I've still got a few fusel-alcohol acne scars, but I'm told those will fade with time.

Year 4.
Finally off on my own, half wanting to flaunt my Rosemary-(and Pepper, and Thyme, and Sage, and, especially,Cilantro)- taught spiciness, and half self-conscious of my fruity, wheaty, melony, Unibroue-inherited traits.
I went to this club, and guess what? People accepted me. I didn't feel like a wannabe anymore. There were lots of other saisons there, and I didn't make a fool of myself. This one dude, wearing a sheet, and calling himself "Phantom" or something, asked me where I got all the righteous spices. I just sort of shrugged. Then he was like, "you remind me of this cat I used to buy 'shrooms from....uh.. La Terrible, I think, was her name". I just acted surprised, and chuckled, having learned a bit about my older sister.

Later that night, some dude from some cow town in Wisconsin- "pepsis" or something, I think his name was- came up to me. He was looking totally out of place, and he was all like, "Bro, I've met some of your family, and you totally remind me of them, but you've really done something special for yourself. Kudos on that. You're one of a kind, and I think you'll redirect both your own tradition and Saison stylings to come".
It was a bit awkward that this guy knew me from somewhere, but I liked his compliments.
Aside from that, he was pretty much a tool.

08-25-2004 08:15:33 | More by cokes
Manosbeeroffate

Maine

4.88/5  rDev +19.6%

Production date on this bottle is 05/05/2004. Pours a medium orange/yellow color, very hazy. Taste, wow!! Very nice. Some spices, apricot, raisin, citrusy but not too fruity. Finishes with these same flavor combos with alcohol warmth. I kind of feel bad now for opening it instead of aging a little more, I still got one more bottle. Definetly a beer that must be sought out before they all vanish.

12-13-2005 02:48:26 | More by Manosbeeroffate
beertaster13

Washington

4.88/5  rDev +19.6%

Pours a delicious orange nectar with huge off white head that begs to be drinked, the smell is of apple and a basket of exotic spices, a zesty banana rum yeast smells great. The malts are light but blend well with the aroma of fruit. The taste is of nutmeg and a delicious mango fruit, the combonation is mysterious but unbelievably good, this very well could be the best beer I've had, leaves you guessing what it tastes like and calls you back for more. Grand.

12-12-2005 06:05:12 | More by beertaster13
nlmartin

4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

Gods of all beers I think I am in love.

This beer was bottled3/04. I poured the beer into a wide mouth goblet.

Appearance: The beer poured a cloudy off golden coloration. The head towered at nearly 2 inches straight white coloration. The lacing was heavy and thick like pancake batter.

Smell: Smells a very heavy minty coriander spicy goodness. Malty sweetness smells bready and wonderful overall.

Taste: This beer has a great peppery coriander minty sweet whirlpool. This beer in short taste great!

Mouthfeel: This is a very tasty well carbonated beer. The beer is a very tasty meduim bodied treat.

Drinkability: This is a very big beer that hides it alcohol content well. The carbonation adds to the drinking experience. I know where to buy a few more and will do so.

12-15-2005 05:17:20 | More by nlmartin
Sixpack595

4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

I was nervous about this beer. Unibroue's limited edition beers dissapear quick so I bought a case of this. Thank God it doesn't suck. Crystal clear copper color with a thick cap of creamy white foam. Lacing is minimal as the head recedes to a thin layer. Aroma is fairly muted but spices and bannana sneak through. Powerfull carbonation, peppery spiciness, spicy hops all combine for a multilayered flavor that combines perfectly. Typical Uni with a smooth flavor and potent ABV. It's official, these guys know how to make beer.

Edit: Over a year on and its still crazy good. The aroma has a bit more green apple and the alcohol seems a bit more warming. The questionable corks seem to have a bit of the carbonation wane, but not too much. Oh well, I better finish off the rest of them just to be safe.

07-13-2004 06:30:38 | More by Sixpack595
deliriumtremens

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

Thanks to ale2theking for sharing this bottle with me. Since we drank and discussed this one together, and I just read his review as he posted it, this one will be a little shorter.

This beer tastes... like... awesome. Poured into a La Fin du Monde tulip glass, nice fluffy white head that dissipated very quickly. Nice apricot and malt flavor. Mouthfeel was decent, but not real full. Other than that, I can't find anything to complain about in this beer. I love Unibroue beers, and this is one of their best. It's like a fine champagne, other than it's darker fruit flavors and copper-color. I could drink these all night, if I could find anymore of them.

Way better than the 2005.

11-03-2005 00:34:16 | More by deliriumtremens
noclue

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

Serving type: 750ml bottle served in tulip glass.

Appearance: beautiful, rocky, spumescent head with sticky, soapy, clingy lace. Hazed orange/amber color

Smell: Ginger, pepper, orange peel... Sweet malty goodness.

Taste: Zesty, spicy, zip, bang, wham! Harsh spicy phenols up front, tropical fruit in the middle, and creamy malt sweetness to finish it up. Brutal!

Mouthfeel: Medium body, loads of carbonation.

Drinkability/Overall: very drinkable, a good almost exotic ale. Very good!

09-06-2004 04:45:25 | More by noclue
faernt

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

Some beer is drinking beer. Other beer is food beer. Unibroue Edition 2004 dares to be a food beer. The first time I had this beer I wasn't impressed. The next time I had it I tried it with a pepper steak accompanied with a deglaze of Port. I was a pairing I've revisited twice since. Fortuneately for me the second time was just a little while ago (minutes, actually).
The beer pours with a strong copper color which initially dissappointed me. My preconceptions clouded my judgement. I thought that 2004 was an extention of 10, 11, and Terrible. I am wrong. This tastes like Maudite and Terrible. The combination is worth thought. I brings it to where Chimay Premiere used to be.
The head is small beaded. If you drink Unibroue often you expect this kind of head but, seriously, it means well made beer. I told you about the color. Now to the taste.
It's peppery and slightly tangy. This goes well with most food you'd pair with a cabernet sauvignon. The deal is that it cuts the fat with its unapologetic carbonation while it peppers the flavors left on your tongue and celebrates the acidity with a vinegar punch that us unusual for beer. I think this little vinegar trick is the beguiling aspect of 2004.
It's obviously drinkable to me. Eat food with this. I love my solitude but this ber is something to be shared.

01-06-2005 01:28:26 | More by faernt
WOLFGANG

South Carolina

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

07-03-2013 22:24:10 | More by WOLFGANG
Billolick

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

woohoo this is the good stuff! Large bottle, with cork and cage, opened with a lively burst. Pours semi hazy, lightest of amber hues. Off white head, excellent retention, lovely lacing. Nose of pepper,pine, spice, melon, anise. Notes of lots of pepper, fruits, anise, gin,alcohol, and yeasty phenolics. Finely crafted, luxorious,special brew. If you like Belgian SPAs this is a must try.

09-16-2004 01:25:07 | More by Billolick
vwahaszee

Quebec (Canada)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, this is definitely the best beer I have ever tasted. It's a brownish red color, with a lot of head that took a while to go away. The smell is quite fruity, not sure exactly what fruit, but seemed a little like fruit punch. Tasted just as good as the smell, if not better. It has some spiciness, and the fruit flavor is sweet, but not cloying. Goes down really smoothly, hard to believe it was 10.5%. Too bad this is a limited edition beer.

02-08-2004 20:34:03 | More by vwahaszee
feloniousmonk

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A hazed pale orange, with furious carbonation jetting up and around from above, covered with a cap of angelic, delicate foam, a soft, lovely cushion...

oooo, loveliness in the nose, sharp, yet sweet, pungent, spicy, like a peach spiked with ginger, and dusted with clove and corinader...I like it a lot, and forswear the drinking of it, to further enjoy this aroma...but let's take the plunge...

Lush, wonderful, rich presence on the palate, big flavor, spills itself all over the mouth, spreading this spicy/fruity feeling all up and down ...this is a tasty ale, although one begs for more...not that anything lacks, but you just want more...it's just how you are, isn't it?

But there's no fault to be found...it's zesty, spicy, tast-alicious...a richer witbier...a zippier pale ale...dang, but Unibroue does what they does, and you gotta love it!

As for me, I may have to grab the rest of t
hese bottles before they go away...this is too good to let disappear!
I don't care about all y'all, but I'm lovin' this, and it suits me just fine...gooo-ooodNISS! Mmmm-mmm-mmm!!

10-24-2004 10:28:55 | More by feloniousmonk
Zorro

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Corked and Caged Bottle 750 ML Bottle.

Pours an Amber hazy brew with a FURIOUS level of carbonation, this beer looks MAD! At being uncorked!

Smell is STRONG Spruce and Coriander! A bit of malt to, but this smells like a Christmas tree.

Taste is medium dry with spices. Sour tastes are completely absent in this. Lots of spruce and pine in this brew, bit of Cinnamon and Miscellaneous Herbs too. Super complex brew.

Good Mouthfeel.

Drinkable in the same way that Shakespeare is readable at the beach! This is it is a college thesis brew to be taken seriously!

Studying this beer is a worthy college thesis in the Science of Mycology!

07-11-2004 08:42:06 | More by Zorro
Douglas14

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Holy shit! This beer is incredible!

It pours a burnt orange color, moderately hazy with minimal head and very little lace...which is the only knock I have on the beer. The aroma is incredible of oranges and other citrus fruits...very floral. Light spices appear as well also. The taste is even more impressive. Very spicey, fruity, acidic, and just a bit malty...a lot of floral essence as well that follows the aroma. The beer has a medium body and finishes a bit dry. I enjoyed this beer so much because of its uniqueness....the flavor, the aroma, the overall experience is great. I am upset that you cannot find them anymore..truly a sad fact. Everything about this beer is great: its delicate, its complex, its interesting, everything...I can't get over how surprised I was by how much I liked it.

Anyway...unbelievable beer. These are the beers the enlighten people to new styles.

04-04-2008 04:19:56 | More by Douglas14
lackenhauser

Maryland

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Somewhat cloudy orange appearance.Head that doesnt quit.Wonderful aroma-oranges,spice,malt all reign supreme.Dough boy-awesome flavor!!! Huge malt flavor-great spicy flavor.The orange highlights are really nice.Coriander,peppery.Huge full body-slightly oily.Very well rounded overall.A killer beer-could enjoy this on a regular basis.Really has to be the best Unibroue product I have had.

09-05-2004 02:38:30 | More by lackenhauser
truthbrew

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

An exceptional beer. My initial guess is a belgian'y spiced wheat beer, though here it is listed as a Strong Pale Ale. Derp.

Pours a wonderful copper orange, though a spritzy head which disappeared pretty quickly (not unexpected due to it's high alcohol content).

Aroma is a sweet christmas cookies and wheat, lots of spice which dominates any hop aroma that may be present .

Taste shows that there is surely a hop appearance, though totally balanced by spices.

This is one of the better beers that I have tried. I really review only a few of the beers I drink and this is top notch. I really have a hard time faulting this at all... as the thick, resin'y liquid slowly drains down the back of my throat. A must have beer for any spiced or wheat beer fans (not even sure it has wheat in it, but really seems so or my pallette has been wrong for all of these years). It's beers like this that put the excitement in drinking.

11-06-2004 02:39:03 | More by truthbrew
Morris729

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a bright golden orange color with a monstrous tall and frothy white head that leaves webs of lace across the glass as it slowly recedes. Nose is rather floral and spicy with notes of honeysuckle, orange zest, ginger, and perfume—very “sniffable.” Fairly full in body with a fine and delicate carbonation. Taste begins with sweet tropical fruit and candied sugar with a bit of malt followed by a good deal of spice (mostly clove and coriander but there is also a bit of mint and vanilla extract). A bit of warming alcohol comes across towards the end with a bit of white pepper in the finish. Very nice. A great final beer to end 2004 with before I head out to drink the obligatory New Year’s champagne.

01-01-2005 02:20:24 | More by Morris729
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

4.65/5  rDev +14%

Bottle – Poured a blonde beer with a nice head that disappeared a bit too quickly. Carbonation is super good with small bubble coming back on top of the beer for a while after it is poured. Aroma is very malty with some floral aspect in the background. Taste is very particular with one spice really coming out but I have difficulty in identifying it (maybe ginger or carmadone). One complaint that I usually have about Unibroue special edition beer is that the high level of alcohol is always too noticeable but in this case it is just perfect. Overall, I would say that this is one of my favourite Unibroue special edition beer.

03-12-2004 16:10:35 | More by Phyl21ca
CortexBomb

4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours out nice dark blonde, head is perfectly white, and starts out thick but quickly settles down to a thin covering.

Smell is sweet and spicy, with fruit tones like many of Unibroue's offerings but I was getting a tad of pear as well. Appealing, and I was eager to take a sip.

An incredibly complex brew for flavour: the softly sweet spice (sort of menthey...minty...unorthodox) starts it off, while a mild hop bitter caresses the back of the tongue. A more full spice hits the top of the mouth next, vaguely peppery, yet softer than that while the fruits from the aroma, delicate and tropical arrive on the scene. An alcohol aspect creeps in along the way as well, but it feels subdued, present, but not overwhelming. The finish is another strong, peppery / spicy tinge, with a sweetness from the fruits left on the tip of the tongue to remember it by. Remarkable.

Mouthfeel is full, likely due to the alcohol content. This isn't motor oil, but it coats and greatly lends to the experience while the drinkability is impossible to critique, a 10% beer that drinks like water if you're not careful.

Unibroue continues to floor me with their high quality belgian offerings.

09-14-2004 23:20:25 | More by CortexBomb