Edition 2004 - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 12-10-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 264 | Reviews: 245
3.92/5  rDev -3.7%

Not much taste here. I only get some malt and something else in the background. Both sweet and overpowering. Its like hearing music from downstairs. I rate this below-average for the brewery.

Consistently with Unibroue I find the yeast and spice combinations somewhat nauseating. In my reviews I have tried to adjust for that being just me personally. I rarely find the yeast to be a problem with the Belgiums and never with US-style Belgium being. To that end, I am storing my other bottle-conditioneds for, I hope, 2 years, to see how it turns out.

OK, 2.5 yeras later and Biegaman has shared a bottle and..its better. Yeast not in my face.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

2.38/5  rDev -41.5%

Bottle shared by Dan at a recent tasting. Served in a snifter.

Pours light copper without any head or lacing. Given the age, I won't take off too much. The nose is really odd--slight minty character followed up with quite a bit of pizza dough and bread yeast. Really odd. The taste doesn't improve on this; in fact, it's a bit worse. The feel is fairly light with moderate carbonation, all things considered. Really not a good beer at this point. Time has not served this one well.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Session: 08-31-08. After reading my review of this beer from nearly three years ago, I still agree with my review. It seems that the fruity esters are more dominant than ever with a bold strike of orange peel, ripe berries, lemons, pineapples, and appricots. Still spicy, but muted similar to the spices found in Witbiers. Warming alcohols take on a mild rum-like flavor but does not spike the mouth like the younger versions did. A very nice beer- I stick with my original numbers.

A very nice beer. Very sweet and warm. Golden to orange in color, a fizzy head. Deep fruity sweetness comes in the aromas and flavors. Fruitiness of rip grapes, apples, raspberries, pears, and peaches. Nice spiciness like pepper, cinnamon, and corriander. Thinly sweet. reminds me of a thin Belgian Barleywine. Alcohols are mildly fusal and strong. A bit light on the body with vibatious carbonation--prickly and numbing to the mouth. A little too fusal to be considerred smooth, but not rough either.

4.62/5  rDev +13.5%

Bottle – Poured a blonde beer with a nice head that disappeared a bit too quickly. Carbonation is super good with small bubble coming back on top of the beer for a while after it is poured. Aroma is very malty with some floral aspect in the background. Taste is very particular with one spice really coming out but I have difficulty in identifying it (maybe ginger or carmadone). One complaint that I usually have about Unibroue special edition beer is that the high level of alcohol is always too noticeable but in this case it is just perfect. Overall, I would say that this is one of my favourite Unibroue special edition beer.

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

A: The pour is sort of caramel in color with a thin whitish head to go with it.

S: An intensely herbaceous nose. Lots of menthol/eucalyptus notes as well as sage. There's not really very much malt contributions other than a touch of sweetness.

T: Only mildly oxidized, which is good, but still very herbal which is not so good. There is a bit of prune juice as well as caramel and some other miscellaneous dark fruit flavors. Maybe a bit of booze, too.

M: The body is medium with a pretty low level of carbonation.

D: The nose was really off, and the flavor wasn't too much (if any) better. Not my cup o' tea.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Pours a hazy burnt orange with a huge fluffy head that leaves sheets of lace down the glass,some powdered sugar and some citruis to go along with a light iron note in the nose.Big smokiness and very yeasty up front with a nice spiciness some cloves very prevelant.Wow a big brew here spicey and yeasty big and bold with the alcohol coming thru more as I drink more,wish I had more bottles to drink later on.

4.09/5  rDev +0.5%

Consumed on Thanksgiving but could not review it at the time.

A - Poured out a hazy, copper color with a thick, foamy, off-white head that left soapy residue on the sides of the glass.

S - It smelled of dried fruit and an earthy/grassy quality. The dried fruit aroma really started to smell like cherry as the head settled.

T - It tasted of very estery, cherry and other dried fruits. It was malty sweet and had a slightly sour taste.

M - It was soft and fairly smooth. A medium to full-bodied beer.

D - This is a pretty good brew. It seems similar to most of the other Unibroue offerings, which isn't a bad thing.

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

Presentation: 341ml brown bottle with a 2004 vintage date on the label.

Appearance: Beautiful tiny bubbled lace that holds strong to the rim of the glass. Hazed tawny color.

Smell: Ginger, anise, white pepper and orange peel … faint fusel alcohol with a light exotic fruit aroma. Bready malt and a wheat twang as well.

Taste & Mouth Feel: The creamy smoothness get pushed aside by a some what brash carbonation. A long bitterness from the phenols intertwines with a spicy, almost solvent alcohol. Earthy ginger and dusty clove come to mind, ripe tropical fruit and a dry maltiness blend well. The phenols go mild towards the semi-sweet yet still spicy finish.

Drinkability & Notes: Very interesting … this little lovely brew has grown on me after two bottles. It has wooed me to come back … sadly I only had two bottles. It went well with a couple of extra thick peppercorn crusted pork chops.

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

Dropped fifteen bucks for this gem to take home from the Sharp Edge Emporium, I didn't mind paying top dollar considering I've never been dissapointed from a Unibroue product. Appearance: Pours a hazy amber orange tinted brown tone with a big creamy textured finely carbonated head leaves thick ass lacing all the way down my Fantome chalice. Aroma: Deep fruit esters cross my palate initially with tones of flowery cider tones, packed chalk full of the classic Unibroue spice combonation bringing a spicy peppery, anise note to the table with a nice rolling brown sugar sweetness. I can detect the usage of some Saaz hops thrown in there very nice smelling brew. Taste: The sweet brown sugar note tied with a warming spiced holiday bread is amazing, the black licorice and peppery bite come through with hop flavor not so much bitterness. Quite unique making this one hard to compare to any other beer, I like the hoppiness and peppery edge along with the soothing fruit esters lining the background of the flavor, very well done. Mouthfeel: Big lucious syrupy notes from this fuller bodied Belgian style pale nice fine carbonation silky smooth but a bit too filling to drink in session. Drinkability: Simply put this beer could pass as liquid crack the flavor keeps you wanting more the alcohol is so well hidden hard to find flaws in this brew I'm a fan.

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A hazed pale orange, with furious carbonation jetting up and around from above, covered with a cap of angelic, delicate foam, a soft, lovely cushion...

oooo, loveliness in the nose, sharp, yet sweet, pungent, spicy, like a peach spiked with ginger, and dusted with clove and corinader...I like it a lot, and forswear the drinking of it, to further enjoy this aroma...but let's take the plunge...

Lush, wonderful, rich presence on the palate, big flavor, spills itself all over the mouth, spreading this spicy/fruity feeling all up and down ...this is a tasty ale, although one begs for more...not that anything lacks, but you just want more...it's just how you are, isn't it?

But there's no fault to be found...it's zesty, spicy, tast-alicious...a richer witbier...a zippier pale ale...dang, but Unibroue does what they does, and you gotta love it!

As for me, I may have to grab the rest of t
hese bottles before they go away...this is too good to let disappear!
I don't care about all y'all, but I'm lovin' this, and it suits me just fine...gooo-ooodNISS! Mmmm-mmm-mmm!!

2.68/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks Dan.

This was like drinking wintergreen toothpaste flavored beer. Not a fan. Sorry.

Beer is orange with almost no head or carbonation, no lacing. Eh.

Aroma is like spruce but like spruce extract, almost mint and sweet at the same time. Oh no...

Yep, beer is medium to light in body, no carbonation on the palate and the midpalate and finish are minty fresh! I'm fighting cavities while I test the limits of the liver. Not a fan. This is like sucking on a piece of stale candy. Not a repeat.

2.71/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

From 01/22/11 notes. Brought to a small tasting.

a - Pours a murky brown-orange color with light carbonation evident and one inch of white head.

s - Smells of mint, floral notes, coriander, sage, and something I can't put my finger on, but it seems off.

t - Tastes of weird mint again, coriander, hersb, floral notes. Not enjoyable.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

d -This one didn't do it for me; I found the smell and taste a weird mint/herb mix. Wouldn't seek out again.

The beer pours a golden color with a thick frothy white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a nice pale malt scent that may has some light cystal malts as well. It is a bit peppery with a fruity yeast finish. The taste is good as well. It is dry with a pale/light crystal malt flavor that goes down smooth a finishes with a Belgian yeast fruitiness. The mouthfeel is good. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a damn fine brew. I sampled it a Belgium Comes to Cooperstown. This Belgian pale ale drinks very well.

Thanks to jjfoodie for sharing this bottle. The beer pours a yellow color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the Belgian yeast, with some wheat and assorted spices thrown in. The flavor is similar, with a strong yeast component. I also get some nice pepper and spice notes, as well as some floral and rose notes. All of this is mixed in with some biscuit and wheat notes, as well as a good dose of alcohol, Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

01/08/05- Given to me from my fiancee as a random gift.

Presentation- 750ml bottle with a beautiful etched design in line with 10,11, Terrible and Frigante. Poured into my Duvel glass.

Appearance- Dark brown cloudy elixer. Large frothy head with excellent lacing and small ufo like poofs of creamy round bubbles.

Smell- Lots of spices, bananas, raisins and clove. Quite a sniffer.

Taste- Sweet, but not overly sweet as I thought the 10% was going to give me. Much dark fruit taste with heavy cloves taste intermixed. Light alcohol punch in the taste.

Mouthfeel- Thick, chewy and warming. Low carbonation. Almost a tad sryupy.

Drinkability- Alcohol and the size of the bottle is the only thing that holds me back from another. Another tremendous Unibroue product.

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

Sampled July 2004
Wow, as soon as I start to pour this beer I smell an intense, aromatic mix of spices. The beer is a clear copper-orange color. It is well carbonated, which supports a light tan head. The predominant aroma is of cardamom, but I also get notes of ginger and alcohol up front. When I dig a bit deeper I get an herbal note in the nose, as well as a bit of acetone. The taste is lightly sweet up front and not nearly as spicy as I was expecting from the nose. The cardamom does dominate the flavor though, it imparts notes of ginger, acetone, and allspice. There is a certain medium bodied fullness to this beer, which helps to fill out the palate a bit. There is also quite a nice bit of fruitiness underneath the spicing. I get notes of pear, raisin, and grape.

Because of the spice levels, this beer should mellow and improve for at least a couple of years. I must admit, despite this beer's leaning towards one-dimensionality, that I am enjoying this beer greatly right now. This beer is walking a very thin line, any more cardamom and it would have been overwhelming, luckily the cardamom addition was maxed out perfectly.

4.49/5  rDev +10.3%

Hazy orange in color with a thick creamy 1" head. Aroma is an outstanding combination of pepper, yeast, tart citrus, and other spices. The flavor components focus on the spices - pepper, clove, ginger - but is nicely balanced with grapefruit, yeast, alcohol, and a sweeter malt tone. These flavors really came out as it warmed.

Mouthfeel has a crisp start and crisp, slighty dry finish. Medium bodied.The pepper lasts long into the aftertaste. The alcohol level is high, but quietly sits behind the strong flavor. Nicely drinkable, but one bomber bottle is enough for one evening.

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

woohoo this is the good stuff! Large bottle, with cork and cage, opened with a lively burst. Pours semi hazy, lightest of amber hues. Off white head, excellent retention, lovely lacing. Nose of pepper,pine, spice, melon, anise. Notes of lots of pepper, fruits, anise, gin,alcohol, and yeasty phenolics. Finely crafted, luxorious,special brew. If you like Belgian SPAs this is a must try.

2.63/5  rDev -35.4%

Bottle shared by mdfb79. Thanks Dan!

A: This brew appears sightly hazy and light orange in color. The head is rather small and leaves virtually no trace of its existence. I'll take age into consideration.

S: The aroma is a huge blast of spruce and pine, but not in a hop or IPA kind of way. This beer smelled of pine cones and evergreen trees. Interesting...

T: The palate is bombarded with spruce, mint, herbs, and an odd, earthy flavor.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

D: I had trouble getting this one down. Too aggressive, unbalanced, an odd. It was fun to try, though.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Edition 2004 from Unibroue