Edition 2004 - Unibroue

Edition 2004Edition 2004

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: taez555 on 12-10-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Edition 2004 Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next › last »
4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

This beer poured an amber/tan body with a thick white foamy head.

The nose was really quite beautiful. Spice, coriander, anise, some very clean white pepper, wheat, wood, and a very soft slight sour fruity maltyness. It actually has a very x-mas/holiday sort of smell.

The taste was medium to full bodied. Very smooth and soft and yet rich at the same time. Orange peel, spice, a nice round malt, fruit, sourness, wheat, cinnamon, anise, coriander. The alcohol is very hidden in this baby. There’s a perfectly balanced bitterness that never really comes forward just sits there along with a soft floral tone. It ends with a quick bitter spice and fruit mix.

Wow, this is one killer beer. A very simple beer with lots of upfront flavors. Perfectly balanced from start to finish. I’d say this beer might be better suited to drink during the holiday season but it’s just so perfect right now I’d be scared it’d mellow too much. Really, a must try beer.

taez555, Jul 05, 2004
4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Sampled from a standard cork and caged Unibroue 750ml brown bottle with the "Edition 2004" markings in gold on the front. (Sampled with a small cast of my fellow Falcons at our Friday night dinners)

Beer pours a dark dirty orange color like a reduction of orange juice done for too long. Pours with a low white head that doesn't stick around for the noticing.

Aroma is a ginger, pepper and lavendar with a strong drying edge that should age out and smooth out. Final aroma notes are of bitter orange and pepper that sparks up the nose.

Flavor starts with bright CO2 that accenuates a bitter orange and a bright hoppy flavor that barely restrains a honey caramel sweetness that warms as it goes down.

drewbage, Jul 04, 2004
3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

Presentation: 341ml brown bottle with a 2004 vintage date on the label.

Appearance: Beautiful tiny bubbled lace that holds strong to the rim of the glass. Hazed tawny color.

Smell: Ginger, anise, white pepper and orange peel … faint fusel alcohol with a light exotic fruit aroma. Bready malt and a wheat twang as well.

Taste & Mouth Feel: The creamy smoothness get pushed aside by a some what brash carbonation. A long bitterness from the phenols intertwines with a spicy, almost solvent alcohol. Earthy ginger and dusty clove come to mind, ripe tropical fruit and a dry maltiness blend well. The phenols go mild towards the semi-sweet yet still spicy finish.

Drinkability & Notes: Very interesting … this little lovely brew has grown on me after two bottles. It has wooed me to come back … sadly I only had two bottles. It went well with a couple of extra thick peppercorn crusted pork chops.

Jason, Jul 04, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

This year's version is a dark gold color and formed a offwhite bubbly head that left circular lace as it subsided. A small amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of malt, yeast, spices and a touch of pepper. A flavor of malt, some spices and a bit of yeast. It has a medium body and a rather sprite finish, hiding the alcohol leve well. May get better with cellaring, but doesn't seem as good as last year's 11.

Wildman, Jul 03, 2004
3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Not much taste here. I only get some malt and something else in the background. Both sweet and overpowering. Its like hearing music from downstairs. I rate this below-average for the brewery.

Consistently with Unibroue I find the yeast and spice combinations somewhat nauseating. In my reviews I have tried to adjust for that being just me personally. I rarely find the yeast to be a problem with the Belgiums and never with US-style Belgium being. To that end, I am storing my other bottle-conditioneds for, I hope, 2 years, to see how it turns out.

OK, 2.5 yeras later and Biegaman has shared a bottle and..its better. Yeast not in my face.

Sammy, Jun 20, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

Sampled some of this at a small premiere night at Spuyten, pretty cool stuff.

Orange-amber in color with a massive amount of carbonation, put a (clean) bar towel over the cork when you pull it or you might be spackling the ceiling. Smells of fruit, malt and alcohol. Tastes like a Belgian boilermaker, as if a shot of clean quality vodka was dumped in it - yeah, it's strong. Light but full sweet flavors of apricots, spices, cinnamon, under a stronger pepper flavor. Really fizzy in the mouth, almost like a seltzer or Pop Rocks, combined with the peppery spicy flavor this gives it a unique quality I enjoyed. A bit lower carbonation would make it more drinkable (so fizzy that drinking it too fast might make your chest explode.) I drink a lot of strong stuff but this went right to my head and tried to hump my cerebral cortex, take care with this one. I need to find a bottle and stick it in the back of the cabinet and see what comes out a few months later.

PopeJonPaul, Jun 18, 2004

Maybe i've become so used to Unibroue putting out solid Belgian-style beers because the Edition 2004 didn't wow me. I mean, it was good. Solid. But it didn't wow me.

Having said that, this beer is still of a very highh quality. A rich golden amber pour with a less lively head then i expected. I found the nose to be big and spicey. Plenty of cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg along with hints of black pepper. The taste was very much the same for me with big spiceness up front. A very good balance of hoppines and malt gave this beer solid body and a good backbone. A semi-sweet caramel finish with light, fruity notes underneath.

Very nice mouthfeel, both lively and full. I tend to think that like the Unibroue 10, this one might taste better in a year or two.

Popsinc, Jun 10, 2004
4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance – I poured this one carefully as Unibroues are known for their explosive heads. This one stayed at about an inch and left a small pool in the center of the liquid. The beer itself is a dirty orange with some active carbonation.

Smell – The pale malts, Belgian yeast, and sharp spicing jump out of the glass after the ale has warmed a bit. Did I say sharp spicing? No, extremely sharp spicing. Smelling this ale made me sneeze like when you accidentally get a big whiff of pepper.

Taste – The flavors here were unbelievably sharp, punishing my foolheartedness for not aging this bottle. The Belgian yeast and light fruiting were enjoyable, but the spices here need to cellar a bit. The coriander especially was just rank. Oh, it was sooo good.

Mouthfeel – Super-carbonated, almost full-bodied, and nary a hint of alcohol. This ale will explode in between your cheeks.

Drinkability – This was good as is, but I would recommend at least six months under the stairs. Beware: The 10.5% ABV will sneak up on you like a thief in the night.

Comments – I am a big fan of this brewery and must give a huge BA thanks to Rastacouere for commandering this bottle from his native Canada and sending it our my way. This was a very special treat for me and I greatly appreciated it.

Update – I popped a year old 2004 and man oh man is it a big ‘un! The flavors came together nicely in my cellar. Huge spices, big yeast, modest alcohol sting, and a great blend of malts. This is a real winner! I upped the nose by 0.5 point as this bouquet is totally amazing!

RoyalT, Jun 09, 2004
4.65/5  rDev +14%

Bottle – Poured a blonde beer with a nice head that disappeared a bit too quickly. Carbonation is super good with small bubble coming back on top of the beer for a while after it is poured. Aroma is very malty with some floral aspect in the background. Taste is very particular with one spice really coming out but I have difficulty in identifying it (maybe ginger or carmadone). One complaint that I usually have about Unibroue special edition beer is that the high level of alcohol is always too noticeable but in this case it is just perfect. Overall, I would say that this is one of my favourite Unibroue special edition beer.

Phyl21ca, Mar 12, 2004
4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

750ml bottle, Edition 2004: Pop the cork, and pour...This brew is a dark golden colour with fiery red edges and a huge head of pure white foam. Aromas are reminiscent of an imperial version of Maudite. Spicy belgian candy sugar, yeast, spicy saaz hops, coriander, and other spices, and more. The taste is quite one dimensional, but it is also quite nice. The spiciness of this brew is quite amazing and definately done right. The mouthfeel is full and thick, almost "chewy" even. The drinkability is good, but a bit sub-par for a Unibroue offering. A good one none-the-less.

francisweizen, Mar 02, 2004
4.72/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, this is definitely the best beer I have ever tasted. It's a brownish red color, with a lot of head that took a while to go away. The smell is quite fruity, not sure exactly what fruit, but seemed a little like fruit punch. Tasted just as good as the smell, if not better. It has some spiciness, and the fruit flavor is sweet, but not cloying. Goes down really smoothly, hard to believe it was 10.5%. Too bad this is a limited edition beer.

vwahaszee, Feb 08, 2004
4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

This review puts me at 500 karma points on BA.

Pours a clear amber with a hugeflowing white head that never dies. The fruity flavors are viberent. Several different fruit tones catch my tongue. Sweetness from the malts are balanced by a nice subtile spicey. Nice warming alcohol vibe in the finish is the only clue to the 10.5%. A wonderful beer from Unibroue!

scottum, Jan 05, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

There I go, finally opening a first bottle after having bought 10+ 26oz already. The appearance is a cloudy amber with a big off-white head, impressing for a beer of this strenght. It fades away pretty fast unfortunately in a Maudite Glass. The aroma is intense and easy to capt without entering the nose inside the glass. Unibroue's yeast is at the meeting together with a profound malt background. Lots of fruits catch the nose's attention, peaches being the most obvious, but I also capt juniper, vanilla, cortland apples and tangerines. The taste develops from robust sweet fruity malts first into heavy creamy complex very subtle bitter spiciness (coriander). As you adventure further in the throat, it can't hide its high alcohol level. This is not unexpected from a 10.5% beer, but I've seen those guys hide their alcohol better. If you like the flavor, you'll definitely appreaciate the few seconds after swallowing which are long and warming by a very slightly astringent alcohol/fruit coat around the mouth. An imperial Maudite if you allow the comparison with definite typical Unibroue characteristics and a surprising heavy body.. can't wait for their 18% special beer(s)...

Rastacouere, Dec 10, 2003