Éphémère (Cassis / Black Currant) - Unibroue

Éphémère (Cassis / Black Currant)Éphémère (Cassis / Black Currant)

good

poor

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-10-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Éphémère (Cassis / Black Currant) Alström Bros
1.25/5  rDev -66%

donquixote, Apr 03, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -59.2%

I had this on tap in Victoria BC and thought it was just skunked or something.... so I tried it again in a bottle to no avail. The review is based of the bottled version.

A: pours a pink grapefruit color. Head is similar to that of coca-cola or any other heavily carbonated beverage. Leaves no lacing.

S: berry….if I didn’t know what this was I wouldn’t ever guess it was a beer.

T: …..not much. Carbonation overpowers what little berry flavor there is to it. Alcohol is unnoticeable. I don’t usually hate on any beer, but this reminds me of fizzy sugar water. Somewhat of a bitter finish.

MF: thin….waterlike, heavy carbonation.

O: pretty terrible beer really. I would not even call it beer myself. It seems more like a fizzy wine cooler, but with less taste than a wine cooler. Too bad, I was really excited for this one.

xuptygm, Aug 23, 2011
1.63/5  rDev -55.7%

Chilled bottle into a glass. A generous extra from youbrewidrink. Thanks!

A: Pours a wine cooler pink (yes, that's an actual shade) body, extremely murky but passing a brilliant glow against a lamp. The head is a long-lived finger of light pink foam that leaves some curtains during a sip.

S: Black currant. Actually, I could mistake this for blackberries as well; I'm not exactly a fruit connoisseur by aroma alone. A faint tannic quality from the skins. A touch of lemon.

T: Lightly grainy with small washes of fruit juice (again, currant) and a very light tartness. Possibly some lemon in there. This is remarkably underflavored. No off-flavors, but rather a complete lack of them.

M: On the dry side; everything has fermented out to the point where the beer has a thin, watery body.

O: Blech.

Arbitrator, Apr 24, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -52.4%

steph1974, Jun 23, 2012

Atomicskis5, Apr 11, 2013

carteravebrew, Jun 25, 2012
2.03/5  rDev -44.8%

A cloudy amber body fills the glass, with an energetic bubbly head that quickly dies down without any noticable lacing.

It smells like Ribeena soda, and that's about it. For those of you unaware, Ribeena is a blackcurrent syrup, that has also been sold as a pre-mixed carbonated beverage.

The taste is like an aforementioned blackcurrent beverage, only watered down leaving a washy, unsatisfying flavour, not dissimilar to flavoured water or over-diluted cordial. Yuck.

The carbonation is high, suiting this light, sharp framboise, but it doesn't make up for any of my dislike for the flavour.

Definately not one I'd recommend, and far worse than Unibroue's apple offering, in my opinion.

rec, Dec 02, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

BGsWo22, Mar 20, 2013
2.35/5  rDev -36.1%

Picked up a 750ML for $5.99, best before 1-26-07.

Huge foamy head on the first pint, took up more than half of the glass, and took a while to settle. When it did, it left a solid sheet of head, quite nice. Barely any on the second pint, though. The beer itself is murky, I don't think I could tell it apart from cider from the supermarket.

Smells exactly like a Juicy Juice box, one of those "fruit punch" flavors. Some currant tang is there, but also apple juice and some wheaty lemon. Still, it's the juicy juice above everything else, with some alcohol. Kind of artificial.

Tastes like a kid's juice box also, but with some sour wheat added in. Quite tangy. The alcohol is very present but at only 5.5% it isn't that bad. Still, it's surprising that it's evident at all. The wheat adds a nice undercurrent to the fruit taste, but it's the cassis that dominates, leaving a sour finish in the mouth.

This is a very thin, watery beer, which is fine for the style in my opinion. Carbonation is pleasant, and helps to balance the sour fruitiness of the black currant. Goes down a lot like cider, actually.

I like other Unibroue products, which makes this even less satisfying. It's different than most other fruit beers I've had, but in the end, I just don't like drinking it very much. I wouldn't recommend it.

semihobo, Feb 15, 2006
2.42/5  rDev -34.2%

Pours clear and bright orange in color with generous carbonation. Head is minimal, soapy and dissipates quickly.

Smell is very sweet with an artificial fruitiness. Currant and light citrus fruit. Slight musty yeastiness.

Taste is exactly what the nose revealed. Extremely sweet. Initial fruity sweetness blends to a very dry tart flavor. Finish has a mild maltiness with an earthy yeastiness.

Mouthfeel is very light and bubbly.

I found this beer to be a bit of a disappointment. It is just too sweet for my pallet. Far too carbonated and sweet. This is the first Unibroue I didn't rave about. I won't get this one again.

Blakaeris, May 02, 2007

hannaho, Jan 30, 2012

Tertullian007, Sep 05, 2013

OriolesFan1008, Jun 07, 2012

thetomb, Jul 24, 2014
2.65/5  rDev -28%

A: pours an opaque pink-red into an American shaker glass with a very thin skim of white bubbles that leaves no lacing.

S: fruity and tart, but not a whole lot of "beer" characteristics.

T: I get the black currents in tons. Also strawberry, sour cherries, black raspberries. Not malt or hop notes. A lot of berry and fruit.

MF: heavy and chewy, but no carbonation or bitterness to balance the cloying sweetness or heavy syrup like feel to it.

O: not a beer I would ever drink again, plain old bad. It has an unappetizing look and smell and the weak "beer" characteristics make this drink seem like a summer sugary drink.

nickthetick, Aug 11, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

hiphopj5, Jun 25, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

Coral/salmon body with almost no head. Microscopic carbonation. Aroma of sweet fruit, musk, and currants. Extremely assertive, Champagne like carbonation bites at the palate. Then flavors of cassis become ever so present. There isn’t much else going on beyond perhaps some metallic elements. Very one dimensional but I guess that’s ok with this beer. Pretty easy to drink if you can handle the carbonation. Not too sweet or robust on the fruit and very light bodied. My girlfriend loves it while I find it dull and lacking in character. Too each his own.

DaPeculierDane, Jul 20, 2006
2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

341ml bottle poured into a tumbler.

A - Poured a hazy opaque red with pink hues. It produced a big fluffy head that quickly reduces to a 1/8" everlasting cap. Not much lacing.

S - A nice aroma of sweet cherries and flowers.

T - Surprisingly there's not much sweetness. Mostly tasting some cherry & cranberry like tartness. My taste buds read this as bland beer mixed with fruit juice. It doesn't taste artificial or overly sweet which is a good thing but the overall flavour profile could use more depth. I mostly just taste fruit.

M - Average.

D - It's not bad overall but not something I would seek out again.

decimator, Dec 12, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -23.1%

A reintroduction to this beer, after a friend brought me one back from Canada not too long ago. That particular bottle got lost in a sea of other things being shared & I didn't really get an idea of what I has having.

A slow gushing bottle flops into my narrow Rare Vos tumbler. A couple inches of lightly dusted pink head sits atop a cloudy, off-amber, body. It fizzes up & settles like a neon dyed soda. Actually the color is sort of tough to describe. It's more like prosciutto with a shot of pink or salmon. Appetizing, as long as there is some sort of fruity smell accompanying it. ...And here we go.

Smell is a mix of kiwi strawberry juice box juice upfront, with a big splash of Sprite soda & V8 vegetable juice. Quite strange, but not a total wtf moment. More then a bit headache inducing, but with enough carbonation, it can be refreshing I guess.

Feel & flavor are actually mild in comparison to its first impressions. Dry, itchy straw wheat texture. Carbonation is quiet, but sizzles as it finishes.

Taste is a half-flat, half-oxidized generic wheat beer with an unpronounced watered down berry flavor. Almost like an artificial blue raspberry Gatorade, or a fruit-flavored tonic water, with just a touch more of an acidic bite. Barely tannic. Yeasty on the finish like other flavors in the Ephemere line. A bit of a gummy flavor too.

The colder the better.

PEBKAC, Jun 09, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -23.1%

750ml bottle served in tulip.

You can tell its a well crafted brew with alot of work involved but it just didn't do it for me. Huge fruity grape/rhubarb/cherry type aroma that completely dominates the smell, taste, mouthfeel etc. Massive carbonation was a bit annoying and popping in feel. Some sour stinging in the throat and a filmy sour aftertaste that sticks on the roof of my mouth. Pink lemonade with lots of sugar comes to mind.

DogFood11, Aug 28, 2005
2.85/5  rDev -22.6%

Aroma triggers my brain to recall dirty cotton linens and musty fruits. Orange/amber in color with a quickly diminishing white head. Mild wheat malt flavors in the fore followed by the currants. Mild carbonation and a soft overall feel make it feel a bit stale, but it has moments of solid flavor and good mouthfeel before it finishes thin and watery.

Jredner, Apr 10, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

Faintly foggy orange with a definite pinkish blush. There was a huge amount of carbonation initially, but within minutes it settled down to a few steady streams that are blip-blip-blipping up to one of the ugliest heads that I've ever seen. It's dirty white in color and has the harsh, unsticky, styrofoam-like look tht one might see on an NA beer. The foam disappears entirely between pours and, not surprisingly, deposits no lace. The beer looks wonderful. The head looks awful.

Ephemere smells like what it is: a wheat ale with black currant juice added. My only scent memory of currants (since I've never eaten the actual fruit) is from creme de cassis. To me, black currants smell like blackberries. In any case, the aroma contains a fresh fruitiness and an appealing yeastiness that makes me want to take a drink.

I'm pretty sure the beer isn't supposed to be this incredibly bitter and this dessicatingly dry. It tastes like a watered-down pale wheat mixed with tonic water (which is carbonated water and quinine) and a little berry juice. By 'isn't supposed to', I'm referring to the fact that it tastes much different from Emphemere Apple, which I enjoyed. The 'best by' date is 1-19-07, so age shouldn't be a factor.

I don't believe I've ever had a fruit beer that was this unsweet. Since fruit is naturally sweet, it doesn't make sense to brew a fruit beer that is seemingly devoid of all but a few sucrose molecules. It's getting slightly more palatable as I go, but this is still not a pleasant experience. I find it hard to believe that the flavor is intentional. If so, then Unibroue's idea of a good fruit beer is about as far removed from mine as is possible.

The mouthfeel is incredibly light and stops just short of fizzy. The lightness isn't surprising given Unibroue's penchant for brewing light-bodied beer (all of their lower-ABV offerings anyway) and given the fact that Ephemere means ephemeral. The mouthfeel might fit the style and the name, but I don't think much of it.

I was under the impression that the Ephemere series beers are similar in all ways except the fruit flavor. Maybe that was the intention and something happened to this particular batch to turn it into something else entirely, something that will make this bottle a struggle to finish. Maybe the Cranberry version that I have waiting in the wings will clear things up for me.

BuckeyeNation, Apr 08, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -19%

Orangey amber hue with a fluffy light pick head, excellent retention.

Smells of sweet fruit and a musty yeast with a hint of malt in the back.

Light bodied and crisp with a wet watery palate. Yeasty fruit clash with a grain malt throughout. Muted spices, dull fruit. Decent tartness form the fruit and fermented grain. Faintly soapy and pretty dry finish.

I'm not too impressed with this version of Éphémère, half decent at best. It did the job on this hot summer day.

Jason, Jul 20, 2004