1837 - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-11-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 1837 Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.23/5  rDev +11.3%

well, I've finally decided to give in and start watching what food I pair my beer with. Had a bottle of this with some lasagna tonight. The beer was excellent before I started into the food. Afterwards the taste was muffled and the alcohol took over. But from my first impressions - a very nice looking beer, pale golden straw coloured, with a fairly solid head which it retains all the way down. The taste is light with some esters and other light fruity flavours. The alcohol is nice and warming. Light and airy in the mouth, and warming on the way down. I like it. (575 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

The beer pours a head similar to champagne - white, fizzy and bubbly. The appearance is a cloudy golden orange. There's a huge breadiness on the nose with subtle yeast characteristics coming through also. The subtle fruit nuances are very nice. Fairly high on the carbonation. Mouthfeel is a bit gassy. This is a nice belgian from what I can gather. Nothing is really loud about it, but it is very similar to a Trappist ale I recently enjoyed, Rochefort 8. (464 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Popping the top off of this bottle emits a true popping sound. Pours a light golden color and is slightly cloudy with a massive 3 finger snow-white head. The smell of fruit and yeast is evident. The taste is very yeasty and with fruit taste and a definite yeast/alcohol finish. The mouthfeel is sticky perhaps from the yeast as well. I've got 7 more Unibroue beers to sample, and I chose to start with this one because of the lower ranking and I think (I hope) it definitely is the lowest of what I have from what I hear and by judging this one. Interesting but not great. A Votre Sante! (594 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -44.2%

Sticky, one dimentional and sweetish on the palate, Unibroue make some worldclass stuff, but also make some terrible stuff aswell, this is one of those, just not much happening either. (184 characters)

Hazy blond appearance with fruit and French bread in the aroma. Moderate-high carbonation. Peach, faint apricot and peppery flavors interplay. A very nice Belgian pale. (168 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last