La Gaillarde - Unibroue

La GaillardeLa Gaillarde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Pale Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.3/5  rDev +27.6%

This "Gallairde" used to be one of my favorite Unibroue beers during the summer. The beer is blonde, with strike of red, sediments contained in the beer bring a cloudy effects. Fruity beer, the taste of fruits can be tasted quite easilly, but also a strong sense of spices is very present. It was quite drinkable, well down very well. I do miss that beer!

3Vandoo, Jul 25, 2004
3.1/5  rDev -8%

99 version. Mostly clear despite sediments floating around, no head. Weird disparate carbonation. Very cerealic, yeasty and grainy aroma. Spicy and fruity undertones of pears and sage. Mild weizen-like tartness on the tongue with suggestions of pinneaple, vague saltiness, big spices (cloaves, various herbs) grassy. Thin bodied with restrained carbonation.

Rastacouere, Jul 10, 2004
2.85/5  rDev -15.4%

Appearance:

A slightly hazy yellow with a thin white head that leaves a bit of lace on the glass.

Smell:

Sharp and biting. Extremely acidic, almost like a tart apple cider.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Rather bland with an off-sweet apple characteristic that dries the mouth towards the end. This beer is discontinued, and I've read that many people can see why. This is not an exceptional beer, and that is the only unusual thing about it, since it is from Unibroue, I expected a lot more than what I got. This is not an exceptional beer, but by no means an awful one either.

cbl2, Jun 07, 2004
3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

750mL bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a slightly hazy pale yellow color with two fingers of large bubbles that die away quickly. There is minimal lacing left on the glass. The smell has hints of lemon, fairly acidic. Just a touch of malt on the nose. The taste has a little bit of citrus and maltiness up front. Some tartness on the finish. Not as strong in flavor as expected. The mouthfeel is a little light and watery. The drinkability is just average. Probably the bottom of the Unibroue totem pole.

SheepNutz, Apr 05, 2004

This beer poured a small white head that died away pretty quickly. It had a cloudy translucent yellow body.

The nose was... well.... it smelled like a shoe store. Woody, cinnamon, spearmint, sweet candy, some phenol smells, plastic, slight mint, but mostly it had this leathery shoe store smell.

The taste was rather medium bodied with some dull sweet malt. Yet again, cinnamon, spearmint, wood, a dull pine taste, some dark spice, corriander, ginger, rubber, slightly astringent. It had a very even soft bitterness flowing throughout the entire taste.

This is one weird ass beer. It's no wonder they discontinued it. It's like a mix of flavors I'm not sure were ever intended to be in a beer. I almost started to like it near the end when I began to wonder if this is what beer tasted like a thousand years ago. It is deffinatly unique.

taez555, Aug 25, 2003

Unquestionably Unibroue's least impressive offering that I've laid my hands on. The aroma and taste are light. There's a hint of apple juice and some small degree of spiciness, but it's barely discernable in the aroma, and none of the flavor carries through to the finish. It's very light and somewhat refreshing, but I won't buy this one again. Everyone's allowed one mistake though, so I won't hold it against them.

marburg, Jul 01, 2003
1.73/5  rDev -48.7%

My right arm has been sore all week. I keep asking myself "Why ?, How could that be ? What did I do ?" Then I remember, I just fell off the turnip truck the other night and bought this beer. I have never seen this before, with good reason. It's out of production. It might not be fair to review it, but it being a Unibroue beer I thought it has to be good. Think again.

Medium shiny yellow color. I've seen a better head on lettuce. Murky yeast swirl actually had me excited about the prospects. Highly acidic, harsh rubbing alcohol smell. Taste was a 3 alarm burn. Hot, acidic harsh alcohol and citrus blend. Closer to that lemon flavored vodka than to a belgian beer. Beyond citrus. leaning toward cleaning fluid. Like a Miami dance club, this stuff is hot and nasty. Untolerable. I pinched my nose and forced it down, not willing to upset the beer gods or lose Kharma points. Rubbish.

StevieW, Jan 24, 2003

Bland and sweetish on the palate, and one dimentional, one of the poorer offerings from Unibroue, still its OK, but not something i'd actively seek out.

rastaman, May 17, 2002