Édition 2005 - Unibroue

rAvg: 4
Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Rastacouere on 11-03-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Édition 2005 Alström Bros

PlinytheFarter, Dec 05, 2011

Produced on 11/23/04. Found this bottle and absolutely had to have it!

Pours a very dark brown color with a thin one-finger head. Aroma is strong and delicious with hints of raisin, plum and grape. That's the best I can describe it at least. Love the aroma. Taste is elegant and quite relaxed. I detect raisin upfront and then the beer fades into a raisin/plum note at the back of the throat with a dryness that has even a bit of chocolate/grapeskin feeling to it. The alcohol has mellowed since as well.

Hard to describe but as this beer has aged, the flavors are far more complex.Very nice ale by the way. I encountered two bottles of this and might buy the other bottle for aging purposes. However, I wonder if the flavors will get far more complex than this?

Regardless, a pleasant and delicious surprise to encounter.

Brad007, Dec 22, 2007

Appearance. Dark brown, tawny edges. White frothy head. Leaves just a little lace. Very velvety looking.

Smell: rich roasted malts. sweet and fruity. like berries.

Taste: Spectacular taste. fruity and spicy. This is fantastic tasting. The roasted flavor is a little overshadowed by esters, but it works so well. No taste of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: velvety smooth. slightly alcoholic-warming.

Drinkability: This is so great. I could drink it forever. Easily get carried away with this one, and i'm only sad that it is a limited release.

cracgor, Nov 14, 2005

amstelcat, Nov 21, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +18%

Served in a "trois pistoles" chalice, from a 341 ml bottle in Unibroue's annual 12 bottle "taster pack".

As usual, Unibroue does not deceive. Wonderfull belgian, cherry-ish taste, well balanced malty smell and numbing, mouthwatering mouthfell, all exellent. Spices and a hint of bitterness that keeps you wanting more. Aftertaste reminds me of black coffee. Exdllent brew! I'm gonna grab a couple more 750 ml's for the cellar.

bloberglawp, Dec 25, 2004
4.72/5  rDev +18%

I am adding this beer from a set of notes that I took about 2 months ago.

This beer poured a dark red amber with a short lasting head.
The aroma contianed dark fruits , and malts, as well as a hint of alcohol.
The flavor was smooth, slightly sweet and malty with molasses , slightly fruity, especialy dark fruits like cherries or black currants.Not at all bitter, definate but not unpleasant alcohol flavor. very nice level of carbonation.

Overall I really enjoyed drinking this beer, and if an Edition 2006 is brewed, I will most certainly try it.

geetlord, Sep 29, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +18%

This brew pours a dark brown, almost black color. The head is one inch in height (which seems small for this style, but might just be because of this bottles age). What there is of a head recedes within less than a minute. The aroma is very intense. Caramel, dark spices, anise, and a whif of alcohol. The aroma is very complex. I could smell it all day without ever taking a sip, and be perfectly content. The taste is a bit mellower than the aroma, but still very intense. Anise, and spice box intermingle with each other perfectly. The mouthfeel is the silkiest I have ever experienced. Carbonation is fine and of a moderate level. Overall, this is a wonderful beer, and I hope to get the oppertunity to drink it again.

KarlHungus, Aug 05, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +17%

Appearance: I was concerned at first – it poured with nearly no head, only the smallest ring of bubbles around the glass. Color is a deep reddish brown, with a slight cloudiness. No lacing, just a small ring of foam.

Smell: A deep malty sweetness, cherries, and an unexpected funkiness.

Taste: Wow, not what I was expecting. This is far from the usual strong Belgian character that Unibroue is so well known for. This beer has a real Oud Bruin flavor, with an alcoholic kick! A slight sourness, deep musty malts mixing with fruits like cherry and blackberry. It’s earthy, slightly sweet on the tongue, but finishing long, pleasantly alcoholic and dry. I haven’t had a beer with this complex sweet / sour thing coming from anywhere but Belgium. This is an extraordinary beer. Reading the other reviews, I wonder if this bottle was handled strangely. But thank the beer gods that the depanneur I got this from has 7 or 8 more – I’m picking up a few of these babies, and enjoying this one again.

This beer was not at all what I was expecting. I’m well versed in the Unibroue lineup, living as I do in Montreal. But this beer has quite different characteristics from any that I’ve tried from this exceptional brewery. I wish that Unibroue had a regular lineup beer like this one.

winterlight, Jul 17, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +17%

Another great beer from Unibroue. This beer was considerably sweeter and more sherry-like than mne of the Unibrou's that I have enjoyed. Belgain yeast and sweet dark fruit dominated the style. Head was large and had good retention, with a creamy tan appearance. I enjoyed this beer as what it was, an attempt to make a delicious, unique beer that complretely paid off. Very good, another excellent beer from Unibroue.

TastyTaste, Sep 11, 2005
4.68/5  rDev +17%

Picked up this bottle at the Utah State Liquor store on Ft Union Blvd. Review from notes taken about two weeks ago.

Pours a deep mahogany color. Light tan head setles fairly quickly.Carbonation is low to none. The Smell? ABSOLUTELY amazing! Has a nice sweet aroma remeniscent of grapes or a gavurtz/ice wine etc. Tastes is also very nice. A bit of grape or raisiny sweetness, but not too much as to be overpowering. I'm not sure if i'm detecting the hops or not, it seems to be so well balanced. Very smooth and sweet mouthfeel. This brew drinks SO easy, it's taking every bit of will power i have NOT to open the 2nd bomber of this i picked up.

*NOTE* I ended up giving the 2nd bomber to my brother. I'm thinking about asking for it back. It was THAT good!

BigJTrucker, Aug 31, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +17%

At just under five years old, this ale has been maturing quite nicely and seems to b enear it's peak.

Pours a dark mahogany with a thin tan head.

Nose has dark pitted fruits, honey, chocolate, toffee, subtle spices, peppery yeast and nutty malts.

The taste is also quite sweet with cherries, plums, figs and dates. Well balanced by dark candy malts, cocoa nibs and herbal yeast.

Creamy body is delicately carbonated. Nice malty finish. Tasty stuff.

rye726, Jan 31, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +17%

The beer came in a handsome brown 750 ml. bomber with painted on information, a wire cage, and a cork. Pulling out the cork released a nice thud, giving indication of a strong carbonation.

The beer poured out reddish brown, and cloudy, with a three finger tall foamy head, and definitely had the Trappist style look down pat. The smell was also very authentic Belgian. The spicy, flowery, yeasty, and sweet aroma was enough to get my mouth watering immediately.

The taste was deceptively simple with sweet Red Delicious apple like start, and spicy cinnamon and sweet doughy middle. In other words this began as liquefied apple pie. But unlike the apple pie coming out of your mom’s over, this one also packed a rum raisin laden punch, and an herbal hop finish. Very complementary flavor profile had nothing clashing against each other. The alcohol was masterfully hidden, improving drinkability, and effectiveness.

I was not anticipating something this smooth out of Unibroue, but I was pleasantly surprised.

rajendra82, Jul 10, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +15.8%

Consumed on 10/20/06 poured into an oversize wine goblet.

AP: Totally opaque, very dark brown with purpleish hues. FAT active head, thin but very lively.

Nose: Fruity!!! dark berries, ultra sweet malt, flowery and sweet hops.

Taste: Sweeet malt flavor that includes dark berry and some mild yeastie effects with an earthy but outer-worldly herbal and fruity hops with a bold tart finish. Overall very complex and tasty, I really couldn't get enough of this, I compared this brew to a fine *gulp* wine. The heady fruity malted flavors coupled with the amazing array of hop complexity made this one endlessly enjoyable. A perfect five is very rare, and this one is one of only a few that I've given out.

MF: Lively, active, great carbonation makes it dance heavily. Big body look and feel with the constant foamy covering gives it a smooth feel.

DA: 10% is no joke...but i'll tell ya...The wonderful complexity of this brew makes it infinately interesting. Basically....wow.

GratefulBeerGuy, Oct 22, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +15.8%

The only brew that unibroue makes that is better than the '05 edition, is possibly, Terrible. Nice lofty head, nice sweet caramel flavors, lightly detectable alcohol. Highly drinkable for as strong as this brew is. Hope it comes back. Moderate carbonation, lovely plum smell. I really love this brew and I highly recommend it, if you can find it.

bigdeuce, Apr 24, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +15%

A very drinkable brew from Unibroue. Pours out to a dark maple syrup like color with a small head of foam. Calmed to a thin layer of cream colored bubbles over a dark brown body of ale. Nice. Aromas of pepper and spices, laced with sweet elements; yeast, fruit, earth, cinnamon, corrander, gingerbread, and quite a bit that was open to interpretation. Taste was grand; lots of sweet malt and bread, natural sweetness, some raisin and dark plumb and nectarine flavors. Sorry, but I gotta call this one exceptional. Wow. Very nice. Mouthfeel wasn't fantastic, but the carbonation kept the beer alive and it went down smooth like silk. Very Good drinkability. I'd love to have this again. With any luck I may find it in the stores still... Aged for at least 4 months after purchase. Highly Recommended, and worlds above the 2004.

Frozensoul327, Mar 30, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +15%

The beer pours a deep, dark, black color with a thin offwhite head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is perfect. It has a nice toasted, black malt scent with some yeast fruitiness and loads of crystal malts. The taste is awesome as well. It has a very smooth and rich dark malt flavor that boasts of crystal, patent, and roasted malts along with a fruity yeast finish; very tastey. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn fine beer. It has tremendous aroma and flavor; a kick ass drinker.

WesWes, Apr 27, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +15%

I am typing this literally as things "unfold". Same date from previous review, 11/23/2004, therefore it's been in the bottle for over 2 years now.
That classical, beautiful appearance of belgian strong dark ales (I am biased, this is my favorite style..); dark, reddish hue against the light, small tan head with some lacing.
The smell is fantastic, and if I remember correctly, similar to the 2004 edition. Anyway, alcohol, malts, bread, molasses, perhaps some honey.
Taste is also great, with a warming alcohol throughout, enhanced by layers of malts, breads, hints of bananas and port wine, with a somewhat dry finish.
Medium-bodied, and very easy to drink.
Another delicious Unibroue, and I whish I had more...

brdc, Feb 17, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +15%

Pours a dark rusty brown color with some ruby highlights and a tall bubbly light tan head that eventually settles into a heavy lace. A rich fruity aroma is detectable as soon as the cork is popped with notes of berries and apple. Once in the glass, allowing a closer examination, additional aromas of tropical fruit, figs, vanilla, yeasty esters, and cherry liqueur become evident. Taste begins with sweet tropical fruit and acidic tart green apple blended nicely with dark malts. This is followed by notes of figs, plums, and golden raisins along with a bit of spice and some vanilla oak. Finishes dry with a touch of sherry. I’ve had this beer in my “cellar” for quite some time, and it was just as enjoyable to drink as I had been hoping.

Morris729, Feb 01, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +14.5%

I have been holding onto this one and it was worth the wait. Purchased this beer back in 2005 when it came out, I didn't have a particular date in mind to taste this one, tonight just seemed right. Enjoy everyone else's formal reviews but I am not into that, just like to drink that good stuff and try not to think to much about it and just enjoy the taste.
I have moved about three times since buying this beer but I have tried to keep it in the right conditions, the beer tastes like I have done something right.

Brendon553, Feb 07, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +13.8%

This is one of the most wine-like beers I've ever tasted. Not only that, but it seems to only have the characteristics of wine that I enjoy and none of those that I don't care for.

The beer looks like a very dark red wine. Brownish burgundy in color. The head doesn't last for more than a minute or so, and it leaves no lace. The only thing that keeps this beer from looking like a wine is the carbonation when it is swished around the glass.

The smell is a little bit lighter than what I would want, especially in contrast to the taste. It needs to be aerated and huffed to catch a strong enough whiff. Smells sweet with some nice fruity esters. Light and pleasant, but just not enough.

The taste makes up for the lack of oomph in the nose. Starts off sweet and dries out with a beautiful berry flavor. Reminds me of a dry red wine I had a few nights ago, though with much less tannins and vinegar. As I mentioned earlier, it has all of the things I liked about that wine without the absurd dry tartness. Very good stuff.

The mouthfeel is perfect. The body is full and velvety smooth. Great transition from sweet to dry with a lightly bitter finish. Carbonation is just right. Drinkability is great, especially considering the 10% ABV. I wish this was more than a one-off, because this beer would be a great trump card to throw down on any wine snob.

neonbrown82, Jun 27, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +13.8%

I haven't had this beer fresh, but I cracked one open tonight, and was thoroughly impressed. It compares best with an Abt 12 but doesnt quite have as intense maltiness and coffee or "dark flavors." I dont have a formal review for this, but it tasted how it smelled, which was fruity - mainly of the tropical variety. I was actually kind of surprised about the esters and phenols that Unibroue yeast threw out on this one. Their regular line up has a very distinct taste thats peppery, spicy, clove, pear, apple, and maybe something tropical. But those flavors just werent in this one. This one was mostly fruity, and there really wasnt any clove or spice present. It was very creamy, sweet but not cloying, and had a wonderful mouthfeel. There were hints of roast that came off chocolatey, and a malt character that supported the yeast esters well. I'm sure there were some dark fruits like plum and fig present in the sweetness as well, but i can't quite remember.

This is tasting very, very good right now, and I prefer it over Abt 12 and Rochefort 10. Very well balanced and is just delicious. I'm going to see if I can find anymore of this tomorrow.

scoppi, Dec 30, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +13.3%

Ruby color with a fantastic head thats lasts the duration of the beer. Some fruitiness in the aroma. Great balance in the taste. Tons of roasted malts and fruity hops. Mouthfeel was a little dry, but doesn't affect the drinkability. Wow, is this beer really 10%??? Very drinkable brew. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Jacobob10, Apr 30, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Perhaps it's the two-years of cellaring (production date 11-23-2004) that's left my bottle of Unibroue 2005 remarkably drinkable and subtly complex... and perhaps not!?

The cork released easily with a "plop"; and it poured a clear, deep brown with chestnut highlights beneath a full head of rocky tan foam. The head held extremely well, and it left walls of clingy, creamy lace about the glass.

The nose expressed a combination of dark brown sugar, subtle dark-skinned fruit, distanced red wine, dull spice, and yeasty mustiness.

In the mouth it was creamy and smooth with just a delicate caress on the tongue from the super-fine bubbled, bottle-conditioned natural carbonation. I'd expected it to be a little more zesty, but it was not.

The flavor was initially gently sweet with brown sugar, a thin drizzle of more sweetish molasses, dark-skinned fruits (plum/prune, raisin), and a touch of mustiness and spice. As it warmed in the mouth it became fuller, revealing some supple, grainy and caramelish maltiness beneath, and a firm bitterness and some muddled leafy and earthy hop flavors to the side. Towards the swallow it presented more soft notes of raisin, and some clear cardamom, anise, and subtle clove. It finished silkily - passing almost without notice from that palate as the lingering aftertaste swirled with soft etheral spice.

The alcohol never showed, even towards the end of the entire 750 ml., and I can't think of a beer that's more of a "velvet hammer" than this one! It's oh so subtle, smooth, and supple! Remarkable!!! There are still a few bottles out there, and I intend to find at least a half a dozen of them!!!

NeroFiddled, Feb 07, 2007

RBorsato, Nov 06, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Copping off the bat to be a big Uni fan who's been disappointed with some of their recent beers, this one's got me back on the bandwagon. It pours a deep, dark mahogany with an initially thick off-white head that goes away rather quickly. However, small champagne-like bubble continue to work their way to the top until the glass is dry. The smell is an intriguing mix of sweet cola, black licorice, brown sugar, and ripe dark fruit. The taste is sweet but not cloying. On top of everything in the smell hitting the taste buds, a nice tobacco flavor and just a bit of hop bitterness round things out nicely. The mouthfeel is delightfully balanced: It's a bit thick, but those little bubbles keep everything in check. As for drinkability, the 750 ml was seemingly gone in the blink of an eye. Highly recommended.

mickeymac, Sep 16, 2005