Édition 2005 - Unibroue

rAvg: 4
Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Rastacouere on 11-03-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Édition 2005 Alström Bros
1.78/5  rDev -55.5%

Properly cellared bottle that's a day short of five years old. Pours a dark, murky brown with little-to-no head or lacing. Smells outrageously sweet and fruity. Very medicinal. No real beer smell, more like a bowl of melted Jolly Ranchers. Similar cloyingly sweet taste. Ridiculously phenolic, to the point that it seems like there might be artificial sweeteners or other things involved. Like a wonderfully aged grape cough syrup. At least the alcohol is masked behind all of these other egregious flavors. Medium-full body. The drain even gagged on this one.

philipquarles, Nov 22, 2009
2.03/5  rDev -49.3%

25.4 oz. bottle, corked and caged.

Appearance: This beer was very deep brown. What little light that made it through the bottom of the chalice showed the beer to be murky. The head was coarse and fizzed away quickly. Only a couple of thick patches remained after a few seconds and these only lingered because they were being fed from below by a fairly strong bead. There was no lacing at all.

Smell: Very thin on the nose. Light chocolate malt, sharp green apple, and alcohol. There were almost undetectable hints of vanilla and spice underneath. That was it.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and smooth.

Taste: Sharply tart upfront, turning quickly into a puckering astringency. It left me scraping my tongue against my teeth, trying to make the dry, husky bitterness go away. Sharply sour at times and very vinous. A strong dose of yeast was present on the finish. One good thing was that the alcohol was nicely hidden.

I looked for any signs that this was a bad bottle so I could delete this review, but I could find none. Harsh and unrefined at best. I'll age a few to see what happens, but I'm not expecting much.

Quaffer, Sep 17, 2005
2.3/5  rDev -42.5%

12 oz. from the mixed 12-pack available at Forquette Forchette.

Deep mahogany approaching black with off-white head that does not stay up for too long but laces wonderfully and keeps a nice rocky cap. The smell here is really very peculiar. Musty is the first word that comes to mind. Then charcoal, cigarette butts, root beer, black licorice, and alcohol, in that order. The aroma's muted nature is not very promising for the beer. Flavor is actually very simple in comparison with the smell, and maintains a complacent sweetness for a long time, and once I got that root beer hint, it seems way too present. I do not enjoy the root beer taste in my beer. Also there is raisins and a cupboard full of spices. It is good, smooth and polished, but the aromas and flavors do not do anything special for me.

If I am going to drink a 10% beer, I want a better taste.

waughbrew, Jun 13, 2005
2.68/5  rDev -33%

a: This anniversary offering is dark ruby color with orange and amber highlights. It pours with a big foamy, fizzy white head that leaves lots of lace in it's wake.

s: Nothing subtle here, sugary, sour cherries soaked in alcohol. There is a hint of something bitter as well.

t: The taste mirrors the smell, unfortunately. Sweet, almost peaty, cherries dominate. The alcohol comes on a bit too strong and there is an unpleasant sugary after taste.

m: Decent syrupy body, but the carboantion is a bit too agressive.

d: I was excited to find this in a recently assembled variety case from Unibroue. All the other bottles were relatively fresh, so I can only assume unibroue had this cellared properly. Regardless, there was nothing actually wrong with it, I just found it to be one-dimensional at best.

DIM, Mar 11, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I am drinking a 750 mL C&C bottle, poured into a Westvleteren goblet. The ale is slighlty chilled.

Appearance: The ale pours with a good head, appears dark brown but is actually a deep ruby red when held to light. No lace stuck around.

Smell: The aroma is interesting, with some deep fruity notes (someone noted plums and that sounds reasonable enough).

Taste: I was expected something similar to Edition 2004 (a very good ale). Instead, the spices used give the ale an old taste, as though it is past its prime.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: I rarely cut short a review, but this M&D components are like the taste, falling very short. If you want a good Unibroue beer in this style, go with La Terrible or Trois Pistoles.

akorsak, Jan 21, 2006

Golden sugar brown with a big white fluffy head of foam, it sure looks good, but the aroma is just that same zesty unibroue yeast in the foreground with some fruit and bread in the backend. No hops really to speak of just a hint of spiciness from the battered boys. Taste is fizzy and boozy as hell, yeasty as all get out and fruity as jam. Three words: Sugary, Sweet, Thick. Mouthfeel is spritzy/syrupy and HOT as hell in herr, for reall diggs! Drinkability is low as I get bored and would rather just drink something better....YAWN!

francisweizen, Feb 10, 2008

tom10101, Dec 29, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -23.8%

Poured into a Unibroue tulip glass from a caged and corked 750 brown bottle. 2005 edition logo on the front.

Appearance - Poured a dark brown with a touch of redness to it. Nice dark white one finger thick head.

Smell - I get some medicinal esters, a malt sweetness, and a touch of alcohol. Ever the faintest bit of spice too.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Crisp up front, and then it flows into a sweet malty smoothness. On first sip I pick up a tangy floral taste with a little bit of spice in it. Smooth sweet malts come through as the beer settles in. Some dark candied fruit, maybe cherries? Got a little creamier as I got to the end and it warmed a little. A warming alcohol finishes it off in the end.

Drinkability - A poor mans Trois Pistoles. A decent brew, but Unibroue has much better to chose from. Pick one up if you're curious, but limit yourself to the one.

ryrust5301, Mar 11, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -23.8%

This pours a color that is similar to some Ports I have had, not sure which style though. The foam is nearly out of control, as I expect from this brewery. I can smell sugary alcohol, and lots of it.

This beer tastes young. The sugars are out of control. I know that is somewhat proper for the style, but in this case, it is simply too much. I detect a certain wine-like character, although I cannot place it. It may be the acidity, or the sugars. The mouthfeel is not the best, I think because the sweetness is cloying. The carbonation is good though. Drinkability is quite low for me, as I usually love the big beers. I think that this will improve with age. I plan to find out.

Sephiroth, Jul 02, 2005
3.08/5  rDev -23%

I bought a dusty bottle of this beer because I wanted to see how it's held up over the years.

It poured relatively flat with no head at all, only a 3mm appearance of head that disappeared to nothing. Immediately, it looked thick and syrupy.

The alcohol is coming off on the nose, but on the plus side- there are figs and currants/ dried fruits in the nose.

Mouthfeel is almost completely flat. I think this bottle just didn't retain it's CO2. There wasn't much of a pop when I released the cork.

Taste is butterscotch (diacetyl) and caramel/ raisins. Finish is dry and slightly bitter.

It might have been better to drink the beer my glass was made for- Gulden Draak. However, I'd wager to say this was just a bad bottle. I can imagine it in a better state. Either that, or it didn't get better with age, as some reviewers expected.

elinash, Oct 25, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -21.3%

750ml bottle Pours a rich dark brown with ruby hues.
Very minimal head despite active carbonation.
Aroma is malty, fruity with some banana, plum, some chocolate and maybe some citrus.
Flavor is sweet up front, cherries, plum, sour on the back end with some lemony notes.
Maybe needs some more time.

Padron4KM, Sep 22, 2005
3.15/5  rDev -21.3%

I got this bottle in a trade with Wasatch. Thanks John!

It pours from 750ml caged and corked bottle a clear very deep amber/brown with reddish hues and a very small head of foam...but it has some good lacing. After a few minutes, the foam and lacing are gone.(except a broken ring around the glass)

The smell is of caramel malt, dark fruit, some spice, and some alcohol.

The taste on first sip has the dark fruit up front, plum raisin tofee, followed by sweet malt and some alcohol. This is definitely on the sweet side but not overly so yet I hesitate when I before I take my next sip. I just don't find it all that tasty or drinkable. It has a syrupy mouthfeel and the finish has a slight citrus kick to it but overall it's on the watery side. I'm glad I got to try it but I can't recommend it.

Bitterbill, Feb 01, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -20%

Pours a dark brown some deep red highlights rich thick brownish head only thumb sized but thick or dense looking leaves some lace behind.

Aroma is wine like or maybe sherry some fruity malt light vinegar. Overall little strange not as good as I was expecting.

Taste is light malt vinegar hints again in taste. Some sherry/wine like flavors light fruitiness. Where is the nice complex flavor I was expecting? Finish is light spice and Unibroue signature yeast flavors. Overall a dissappointment is this Intrabrews doing?

Mouthfeel is mediumish decent amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is well if brewed by someone else might be ok but for Unibroue its a not good, wouldn't recommend this one.

mntlover, Sep 20, 2005
3.23/5  rDev -19.3%

Presentation: 750ml, 1Pt. 9.4 fl.oz., brown glass Unibroue bottle. Caged and corked with a silver metal cap that has the year 2005 in dark blue text. The cork, once extracted, is different from previous years, of the straight sided type, it has a nice Unibroue design on it along with the number ‘0403’ also, wonder what that refers to!?! The bottle has the words “Édition 2005” reverse printed inside a gold colored rectangle. Listed at 10% alc./vol.

Appearance: Finely attenuated conditioning runs through the dark brown body on the pour. Rocky tan colored head firms up to 2” thick as the pour rescinds from the bottle. The head is effervescent and audibly arrogant as it settles down to a more manageable ½” collar. Think Diet Coke and you’ll have a good handle on how this looks. Yet held to the light it exhibits dark ruby traits amongst the ruddy mahogany.

Nose: I often think that I should say it as I see it, or smell it, and the first words to mind are “Raisins and Currants”, quickly followed by “Rum & Raisin Ice Cream”. Quite weird. Beyond the initial reaction I get dark malts and a thick dark Rum alcohol encrusted fig and prune smell.

Taste: The nose hints at the dark flavors that are to be expected in the taste profile. Dark malts and a high alcohol caramel toffee middle. Finishes chewy with some residual molasses. Sweet at times. Warming in the gullet and a glowing flow at the back of the neck.

Mouthfeel: Satisfying feel, lively presence on the palate with a sharp dark chocolate alcohol laden wooden cask feel. Reminiscent of a dark Abbey Dubbel.

Drinkability: The whole 750ml was attractively dispatched. Not exactly a quaffer, neither was it hard to finish the 30 ounces of beer all by myself.

Overall: I still have one bottle of each of the Unibroue ‘10’ & 11’ Specials, which I treasure, as well as one bottle of the Édition 2004. I was far from impressed by the La Terrible to be honest, a brew that was appropriately named and terrifically over-hyped IMVHO. The Édition 2005 puts Unibroue back on track though I think, it’s not a winner right now, and I only got the one bottle but I think I will pick up another to stick in my cupboard cellar. Tasty and rather one-dimensional right now, but it has good aging potential I feel.

TheLongBeachBum, May 22, 2005
3.23/5  rDev -19.3%

cool, my first retired beer, how cool is that?! anyway bottled on 11-23-2004 so its over 3 years old. pours a very dark color, has little head, or carbonation. smells of smoke, and prunes or something. smells aged i guess. hard to explain, has a very unique scent to it. like a weird licorice odor. taste is odd as well, i'm not a huge fan... its not bad, not good, just kinda bizarre. mouth feel and drink ability are ok, not a huge fan of this one, it isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, just not my cup of tea.

1fastz28, Jan 03, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured a dark burgundy brew with a frothy tan head that subsided to an inch thick in my maudite tulip glass.
Aroma has a sharp almost sourness to it and it reminds me of apples, dry fruity esters are present with a distinct fruitiness.
The flavor begins with a sweet malt flavor that is quickly overtaken by dark fruity flavors and this beer ends with a cheesy, Ironlike finsh that i find unpleasent though the fruity flavors do linger long enough to mask the bad flavors. The mouthfeel is very lively and the carbonation serves to add a dryness to the sweet malt flavors while also adding a refreshin quality to the finish. Overall the beer is nice but could use some aging or some work to subdue the subtle yet strange flavors i found in the end of the taste. Not a bad beer but i would definetly like to taste this one in 2008 and see if it is still good or if it is better.

RenoZymurgist, Apr 30, 2005
3.25/5  rDev -18.8%

Burnt crimson tone. Decent sized airy beige head. Lace is patchy in nature, but sufficient in amount. Nice aroma of raisin, Captain Morgan, dark cherry, figs and vanilla. Sweet cherry juice and rum hits the palate first and foremost. Charred raisins and more cherry juice follow. Alcohol maintains a presence throughout and leaves a stinging, tart aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a little too gassy and airy feeling. Light body. This is just not my cup of tea. Probably my least favorite to date from Unibroue, who usually makes beer that I enjoy very much. This one is very average.

Bighuge, May 03, 2005
3.28/5  rDev -18%

Poured into a Unibroue glass corked 750 brown bottle.

Appearance - Poured a dark brown with a half inch thick cream colored head.

Smell - A malty sweetness followed by a touch of spices and a somewhat sour smell.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Very crisp up front. After it settles, I got a very smooth feel and the taste of malt, a bit of spice, and a sour cherry finish. Somehwhat like a weak cough medicine.

Drinkability - Overall not bad. I am a big Unibroue fan so that's why I wanted to try it. Not bad, but also not the best I've had. It tasted like a scaled back Trois Pistoles.

ShrLSU, Mar 11, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -17.5%

swiss coffee head that dissapates quickly, quite fizzy.

Dark fruits, barely a touch of caramel, bitter notes, cotton candy, take your pick it has it all in the smell.

The first drink from this brew takes me back a few steps every time. Very complex but decisevely bitter in the middle to the point of annoying, and a bit too much sizzle in the carbonation almost like pop rocks going off at the end. Ok I'm done with the negative. The positive is the warming was to the point, the sweet fruity mix was right on the money and the aroma was inviting to say the least.

DogFood11, Nov 19, 2005
3.33/5  rDev -16.8%

Has a coca-cola brown colour with a thin ring of tan head. Looks relatively flat. Nothing too exciting here.

The smell is sugary. Not a natural sugar smell, but more candy like. A bit of cherry in there, but again, not so much a natural smell as an imitation cherry smell. Digging deep hints at molasses.

Taste isn't bad at all, just feels like it is a beer that is flavoured, rather than the flavour coming from the brewing. A substantial amount of candy sweetness, cherry and raisin flavours, and a finish that is a bit tart. If it had more of a natural taste it would be fantastic, however the flavours have an artificial feel to them.

The beer is medium bodied, with a light to average amount of carbonation. The carbonation feels a bit sharp on my tongue and lips at time, even though there isn't an abundance of it.

For 10% it goes down easy, but there really isn't a lot of good that I can say about this beer. Not a whole lot of bad things either, but there certainly are better beers out there.

elricorico, Oct 28, 2005
3.38/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights. Very thin lace for a head. The aroma is hinted with plums, mild tartness, and alcohol. Has a full syrupy body. Moderate carbonation. Fruits flavor dominate but when paired with the alcohol it is overly sweet making is kind of hard to drink. Some good roasted malt flavors but not a lot of balance. The sweetness turns into an herbal hop towards the finish. This ale did not turn out as I expected. I was hoping for a little more balance of flavors.

Luigi, Apr 26, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -14.3%

Presentation: 750 corked and caged brown magnum, vintage date of 2005 on the bottle.

Appearance: Murky brown with faint reddish highlights. Thin lacing holds a sticky ring.

Smell: Estery and fusel alcohol are noticeable, ripe and sharp tropical fruit with suggestions of white peppercorn and parsley.

Taste & Mouth Feel: Mildly crisp and somewhat smooth, medium body with a slickness on the tongue. Ripe fruit on top of a deep malt sweetness, mild phenols and a slightly brash alcohol keep the sweetness at bay. Finishes with little other than a lingering herbal and toasted malt flavor.

Drinkability & Notes: Decent but not the epic release you’d expect. The core brands have more clout IMO.

Jason, May 03, 2005
3.48/5  rDev -13%

750ml from the haus. I nabbed this one as I already have two in the basement so I thought I' give it a go to see how long I can hold them for. Pours extra dark medium size head. Looks and smells wonderful but then once I tried it and felt the slight alcohol burn on the finsh I knew this needed a little more time. Much like anything that is a little young it showed room for improvement over the next year.

Cakanator, Mar 29, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -13%

Had this from the "secret stash" of the beer rep at a tasting at the Cock and Bull pub in Sarasota, FL. Thanks, Mike. Pours a dark ruby red with good head but no lace to speak of. Smell is fruit (cherry), malt, spice and alcohol. Taste is rich, dark fruit, malt, spice and alcohol. Mouthfeel is full bodied, like drinking port, rich and warming. Drinkability is good but, so much ABV, one is enough.

PorterLambic, Mar 01, 2005
3.48/5  rDev -13%

This is a nice brew, I really enjoyed it. In some way I am kind of dissapointed, becuase I only had one bottle, and I would have like to save another for a later sample.

POurs a nice deep brown color, with a very foamy tan head that laces very little. Very sweet, floral nose.

Taste is interesting, you have an initial, slightly toasty molasses/coffee presence that is rather welcoming, followed by the ever loving alchohol warmth, and finished off with a sweet esther, rather fruity at that. Very malty mouthfeel that stays with you

Not overly drinkable, but it isn't something that can't be enjoyed. Sit back and enjoy it on a nice winter's/late fall evening

PSUDREW, May 05, 2006