Édition 2005 - Unibroue

rAvg: 4
Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Rastacouere on 11-03-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Édition 2005 Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

brandoman63, Nov 30, 2011

amstelcat, Nov 21, 2011
4/5  rDev 0%

JAHMUR, Nov 18, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -1.8%

Bottled 11/23/2004

A - Pulling the cork yields a small but definite pop. Poured into a tulip. Pours a somewhat murky deep amber color. Very little head, and what is there doesn't last long.

S - When I first pulled the cork, I though I caught a definite tart aroma, which was troubling. After pouring, there is a very mild tart aroma, but nothing to suggest vinegar. A lot of dark fruit (raisin and fig) with a bit of tart cherry. Also, quite a bit of caramel malt and a bit of brown sugar.

T - Again, a slight tart cherry taste up front, followed by dark fruits, caramel and a faint chocolate presence. Fruits are predominant here. Pretty good, but definitely seems past its prime.

M - Mouthfeel is medium, though a bit thin for the style. Low carbonation.

O - Glad I got to try this, but wish I could have had it earlier. It was pretty good, and is the oldest beer I've had as yet, but I've had better BSDAs.

warnerry, Oct 25, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -11.3%

Had this back in Jan. 2009.

The beer poured out as a medium brown color without much head. There was just a light lacing around the rim of the glass left behind. The smell of the beer was a little sweet mixed with yeast and some light fruity notes. The taste of the beer wasn't too bad, there was a nice subtle fruitiness to it. The mouthfeel was on the light side for a darker brew. Overall, I can't say that I really missed this beer too much. I never thought about having it again so it must have been just an average beer to me.

Knapp85, Jun 08, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

Picked this up in a store in Howell, Michigan. I assume this hasn't been brewed for several years, so it was pre-aged by the store. Pours a dark brown with a hint of red. Thick off-white head that dissipates down fairly quickly without too much lacing. Smells of some dark fruit with a hint of brown sugar and Belgian yeast. Flavour is slightly sweet, though more muted than I expected. Smooth carbonation level. This beer did age nicely it seems.

kwjd, Apr 17, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -1.8%

Well this is quite a well aged bottle of beer.

Upon opening there wasn't much escaping gas, just a little. The beer poured a reddish-brown, slightly hazy, without much head or lacing. Given how long this one has been aging in the bottle, I'm not that surprised. Still, looks weren't much.

Smell was quite good. Multiple dark fruits, cherry, figs, grapes, raisins all shine through. Not too much in the way of obvious malts or hops.

Sweet tasting, lots of cherries and misc. dark fruits. A touch of chocolate milk.

Feel is kinda thinner than I expected, but pleasant. Very nice aftertaste.

Drink we'll leave at average. I liked this retired beer but won't be going out of my way to find it again.

AlCaponeJunior, Jan 19, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark murky pond water brown color with no head or carbonation.

Nose has sour tart malts, light cherry, wild raspberries, but also some light porter and roasted malts, and dark syrupy malt aromas.

Taste starts with a light corked flavor of wet cardboard, then aged old malts, light tart fruit, little cherry cough syrup, light dry sweet flavors, a little watery still, a bit of coffee, dark malts, and tobacco.

Mouth is medium bodied with almost no carbonation.

Drink is not great, just a little booze, the wet cardboard corked flavor doesn't help, some iffy flavors overall, and a little syrupy.

jlindros, Dec 22, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

A: The pour is a slightly muddled mahogany color with a decent sized off-white head.

S: Starts off with sweet caramel and dark fruits. Perhaps a regular ol' BSDA without herbs? The rest of the nose is toffee, chocolate, and a bit of roast. Yes, a regular BSDA.

T: Flavor opens up with brown sugar, plums, cherries, raisins, and caramel. There's a mild chocolate flavor to it as well as a bit of a spice note, seems to be all-spice. Pretty tasty, actually.

M: The body is medium with a moderate level of carbonation to it.

D: A pretty solid beer, especially for being five years old. I wouldn't mind ticking this one again.

womencantsail, Dec 20, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -3.8%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Duvel tulip. 10% ABV, Production date 11-23-2004. Almost six years old it was!

Thanks to Bnieman and his Dad for breaking out another dusty bottle from the cellar!

A - Clear dark amber in color with no sediment in the glass surprisingly. A low tan head creeps up but has no retention and leaves no lace. Beautiful color!

S - Lightly toasted amber brown malts with a mellow alcohol phenol aroma and smooth milk chocolate with dark cherry. Fruity undertones come out of this Belgian-aroma beer.

T - Surprisingly, there is still a low alcohol flavor in the brew even after how long it's sat. Chocolate covered cherry notes, a lot of toffee, and smooth toasted malts.

M - Medium in body, 2005 is very smooth with a light alcohol warmth to the finish. Soft lower carbonation isn't surprising. Seems just a little thin tough.

D - Yet another brew I'm glad was split with a few people, it's a little odd, probably due to age, but it's not odd in a bad way, it's just different. A bottle to one's self wouldn't become a chore to drink, but it would definitely be something to sip all through a cold winter day.

BeerFMAndy, Nov 22, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

Old stuff, got it on sale, always nice to have a five year old ale.

A- Murky dark brown pretty much black. No head at all, nothing. A few tiny bubbles around the edge but no lacing, looks like wine. The cork did not pop at all, reminiscent of Brandy Angel's Share 2008. I can't trash it because of the age.

S- Sour at upon opening the bottle. Old musty caramel, some brown sugar and raisins for the most part. Very small alcohol bite. Reminds me of any beer more than 3 years old I have had.

T- Strange at first but mellows out to something special. It really reminds me of a good wine. Tart grape and raisin fruit notes. Caramel malt reminds you it is beer. Tiny bit of oak/wood/vinous notes. Very subdued Belgian spices.

MF- The least amount of bubbles while still being carbonated. Pretty warm on the palate, adds a very nice feel. Body itself is also like wine, more watery than the usual ale.

DB- Split the bottle, but man this is good. I love how it is like wine and the balance is great. Wasn't old enough to have it fresh but it has aged very well IMO.

cbutova, Aug 08, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

Decided to pick this up with BeermasterD on with wim because it was 6 bucks haha and a 2005.

750 into a DFH snifter glass. Bottled date 11-23-04

A- Poured a super dark swamp water brown with a tiny off white head that was barely there and left no lacing.

S- Alcohol sting on nose with some wood notes, dark malts, coffee, and some dark fruit sweetness.

T- Sour yeast with a good amount of creamy malts. Slight alcohol fullness but not to much of a sting on the tongue, very mellowed out due to age. Getting hints of dark fruits such as raisin, plum and almost a slight old coffee note. Smells pretty good for a five year old beer. Also had a grape wine style flavor to it.

M- Excellent full bodied beer with very low carbonation but little tiny bubbles that tickle with tongue on the way down. Has an almost sour bitterness and a brutal dryness that sneaks up on you a while after you swallow that makes you beg for some water. Reminded me of wine in that case.

Overall it was really cool to taste a beer this old, in fact it makes me want to buy another one. It had a solid complex flavor that took me an hour to finish one glass of. Great sit down and sipper. I recommend getting your hands on one of this great brew. It's a must try.

SkÅL!

Arenbeer, May 03, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

750 mL bottle poured into Duvel Tulip. Served 45-50 F.
A: Dark mud brown. Highly effervescent and retains very thin bubbly head. Cannot fully see threw glass.
S: Bready, nutty, and sweet.
T: Dark roasted malts. Cherry and oak. Lingering bitterness.
M: Medium to medium light on tongue.
D: Big beer. Very delicate fruit notes accompany a well balanced malt body.

THORN, Apr 10, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -7.5%

I've had this one for quite some time and decided I needed to finally drink it up. Pours a really dark brown color with hints of red when held up to the light. Produces a decent sized head that starts to quickly fade to almost nothing. No lacing is left on the glass. The smell was typical of a belgian style beer. Mainly for me I picked up some darker fruits, yeast, and some spiciness. Taste wise it was similar. That darker fruit and yeast. Not really to smooth but was hit with some bitterness. Kind of thin mouthfeel, wasn't to impressed with it anyways. The higher ABV was hidden pretty well. I never picked up on any notes of alcohol, and never really felt as though I was drinking a strong beer. Overall this one has sat for a while and maybe it's been to long. It wasn't bad however and I think it was pretty good. Would have loved to of tried this fresh and again with a couple years on it. Overall it was good, glad I picked it up and am happy with finally drinking it.

dismal, Apr 02, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

I have been holding onto this bottle for at least a month since I purchased it in a 2009 variety pack. It seem extra important because I had my first beer in 2005 (20 years old) and it seemed right to crack it today (25th birthday)

A - Pours a real dark amber. Almost like a imperial but if you hold it to a light see through. I was amazed to see head because of the age of the beer!

S - Mostly bread malty smell. Smells kind of sour. I really hope the flavor isn't too bad.

T - Kind of disgusting. It mostly tastes of sour bread and I think I could pick up a slight cherry flavor in the back after I sipped a Titan IPA and then this again.

M - Really thin for 10 percent. Interesting

D - Man this one should have been drunk years ago. Drink ability low.

Overall mixed feelings.

Should a 5 year old beer be drunk? Possibly but highly unlikely considering most beer is better fresh. But in the same sense I would have never been able to try it.

Regardless I could never talk bad on the company but since I put too much hype in this beer it really let me down.

To all BA's! You should finish these while you can! They do not keep well with age!

DrDemento456, Mar 17, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another good offering from Unibroue. Opaque brown, with an off white, medium sized head. Aromas consist of prunes, and are fairly yeasty. Roasty aromas and spices fill the nose as well. Spicy sweet roasty flavours, with lots of warming qualities. Full bodied, and very good.

mrmanning, Mar 14, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a root beer soda with almost white head. Lots of thin carbonation to start, though settles quickly into small bubbly islands. No prevalent lacing.

Smells boozy dark candy. Some chocolate hints. Malt and any hops over powered by booze.

Wow, thank god the smell didnt come out in the smell. Yeasty, dark candi syrup. Sweet, light chocolate maybe.

Overall my guess is this brew didnt mellow over time. It feels thinner, boozier, and a bit harsh but yeasty in a good Belgian way. What I dont understand is why I dont get much if any malt.

I do love me some Unibrow, so I will be back to the brewery. I doubt ill have another chance at this 05, but if I did have a choice of this and something else aged, I prolly try something else. Also, id love to taste this brew after a couple years.

JasonA, Mar 12, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +14.5%

I have been holding onto this one and it was worth the wait. Purchased this beer back in 2005 when it came out, I didn't have a particular date in mind to taste this one, tonight just seemed right. Enjoy everyone else's formal reviews but I am not into that, just like to drink that good stuff and try not to think to much about it and just enjoy the taste.
I have moved about three times since buying this beer but I have tried to keep it in the right conditions, the beer tastes like I have done something right.

Brendon553, Feb 07, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +17%

At just under five years old, this ale has been maturing quite nicely and seems to b enear it's peak.

Pours a dark mahogany with a thin tan head.

Nose has dark pitted fruits, honey, chocolate, toffee, subtle spices, peppery yeast and nutty malts.

The taste is also quite sweet with cherries, plums, figs and dates. Well balanced by dark candy malts, cocoa nibs and herbal yeast.

Creamy body is delicately carbonated. Nice malty finish. Tasty stuff.

rye726, Jan 31, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +13.8%

I haven't had this beer fresh, but I cracked one open tonight, and was thoroughly impressed. It compares best with an Abt 12 but doesnt quite have as intense maltiness and coffee or "dark flavors." I dont have a formal review for this, but it tasted how it smelled, which was fruity - mainly of the tropical variety. I was actually kind of surprised about the esters and phenols that Unibroue yeast threw out on this one. Their regular line up has a very distinct taste thats peppery, spicy, clove, pear, apple, and maybe something tropical. But those flavors just werent in this one. This one was mostly fruity, and there really wasnt any clove or spice present. It was very creamy, sweet but not cloying, and had a wonderful mouthfeel. There were hints of roast that came off chocolatey, and a malt character that supported the yeast esters well. I'm sure there were some dark fruits like plum and fig present in the sweetness as well, but i can't quite remember.

This is tasting very, very good right now, and I prefer it over Abt 12 and Rochefort 10. Very well balanced and is just delicious. I'm going to see if I can find anymore of this tomorrow.

scoppi, Dec 30, 2009
4/5  rDev 0%

Pours dark mahogany with barely a trace of biege head. The little foam that kicked up dissapated quickly to reveal a mostly placid surface with a ringed bead around the edges.

Aromatics lead off with raisins, dark rum, spice, and dark fruits. Heavy with clove and Schezuan peppercorns and anise following through. Some faint cedar bark underneath as well as nutmeg.

Medium bodied with a slicklish, slightly oily mouthfeel. Carbonation is low for the style.

Pepper-washed rum and juicy raisins start the palate. Spicy cloves and a hint of spiked cola follow through. A slight bite of bark along with some decent heat round things out.

Finishes with light spice, warming booze, and rummy sugars.

I had high hopes for the cellarability on this one when it was young. It's seems to have gown downhill in five years though. The body is a bit watery as well as the carbonation dropping off. Also more boozy and warm than I remember. Still damn tasty though.

brewandbbq, Dec 14, 2009
1.78/5  rDev -55.5%

Properly cellared bottle that's a day short of five years old. Pours a dark, murky brown with little-to-no head or lacing. Smells outrageously sweet and fruity. Very medicinal. No real beer smell, more like a bowl of melted Jolly Ranchers. Similar cloyingly sweet taste. Ridiculously phenolic, to the point that it seems like there might be artificial sweeteners or other things involved. Like a wonderfully aged grape cough syrup. At least the alcohol is masked behind all of these other egregious flavors. Medium-full body. The drain even gagged on this one.

philipquarles, Nov 22, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a very dark chestnut brown almost black color with very faint burgundy edges when held to a light source and a massive frothy, pillowy beige head that lasts forever leaving large chunks of soapy lacing all over the glass.

Chocolate malty aroma with hints of dark fruit, candi sugar, haelnut, hops and alcohol. Lots of dark fruit notes, plum, raisin, date, fig, dark cherry and grapes.

Extremely smooth and well balanced with the perfect amount of choclate maltiness balancing out the dark fruit notes. The ABV is very well masked by the dark fuit notes. Dark cherry, raisin, plum, date, fig, candi sugar and subtle hops all make an appearance with a very slight dry hop finish. Excellent!

corby112, Aug 29, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +2%

Found this still on the shelf at a small shop in Ypsilanti. I grabbed it, hoping for the best. I was not let down.

Opened on 7/30/09 and poured into a thick walled chalice. The cork was stuck in there damn good, it took a corkscrew but I got it out with a big pop.

A- Off-white head is small and short lived. It falls leaving some scant wisps and a ring around the edge. The beer is a step down from opaque with a muddy tobacco redish brown hue.

S- The nose is more brandy like than beer like. Sweet grape/raisin, tobacco and cherry.

T- Sweet malty powerful palate. Cherry notes are quite noticeable and lend this beer some tartness. There is some muskiness/earthiness from yeast. Its similar to pipe tobacco.

M- The carbonation is still all there after 4 years. The body is a few steps down from full. The carbonation makes it feel fluffy.

D- Alcohol is hardly perceivable in the nose and palate but its there. This beer is some what heavy. Drinkability is average for me.

MbpBugeye, Jul 31, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

Pulled bottle out of my celler. Opened 7/7/09 and shared with friends (like any good beer should be). Poured into a snifter. Cork comes out with a loud 'pop'.

Beer pours a dark deep brown with a two finger head that quickly subsides to film and then nothing.

Smells of plum and raisin.

First sip... Beer is lighter in the mouth than expected. Carbination is still there. Raisin is the first flavor I pick out. Sweet malt. Little evidence of alcohol at first. Plum flavors become more pronounced as I drink down. Alcohol and some background bitterness come up near the end of the glass.

Mouth is lighter and more carbinated than expected but good.

A good belgian strong ale. Would like to have compared it to what it was like freshly brewed.

gosurfobx, Jul 08, 2009