La Seigneuriale - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-17-2005

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 330 | Reviews: 240

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%

4.71/5  rDev +20.5%

A: This brew appears to glow, with a tawny color in the base of the glass, appearing almost blonde away at the edges. It is pleasantly cloudy. This was the most enticing looking glass from Unibroue I have seen.

S: Seigneuriale has a mild aroma that was deceiving. I anticipated a more mild taste. The smell is sweet and yeasty.

T: I have high expectations from Unibroue. Many of my favorites come from this brewery. This rivals them all. Seigneuriale has a slight sour taste that is perfectly balanced against a sweet flavor that tastes almost as much of caramel as it does of fruit. There are notes of what seems like a subtle coriander flavor. This is very complex and flavorful, but not powerful.

M: The perfect amount of carbonation for me, and with a sweetness that does not come with a syrupy feel.

O: This is a worldclass beer that I was happy to get a hold of. Please bring this back, Unibroue!

4.64/5  rDev +18.7%

Tangelic, resting on clouds. The cork pops out angrily, spewing beer all over our dear friend's counter, the glass is filled, the gush slows and the room is alive with aromas of fresh fruit. There is a serenity..

Sweet mango and apricot, cut into that. Little bit of spice but the fruits are amazing. It drinks beautifully, not overly sweet and full of that fruity lushness. So delicious (best before 7/31/09) I can't believe my compadres do not want more. (Brutal local Iron Chef victory the night before - many mini mead tasters). I heroically drink nearly the entire bottle to myself, my heart light with joy.

A fantastic beer with a few years on it, I really enjoyed it, my best experience with Unibroue so far.

4.62/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Big head in the Duvel tulip, cloudy light brown with the yeast pour. Nice looking beer.

S - Oh yeah. Maybe my smell receptors are having a good day, but I'm getting some strong fruity esters. Mostly sweet, juicy wild strawberry.

T - Sweet-bready, with that telltale Unibroue yeast. Seems nicely hopped, with some sweetness that never becomes overbearing. Lots of fleeting fruit flavors, but the complexity doesn't feel scattershot, it seems dialed in.

F - Spot on - goes down like water, but plenty carbonated.

D - Give it to me, man. This strikes me as quite under-rated at this point. 7.5% ABV never becomes a detriment. I think this is my favorite Unibroue offering to date. Granted, I haven't yet tried Trois Pistoles, but this is a great beer. I like it more than La Fin Du Monde. Very assertive, strong effort in a style with many heavyweight contenders.

4.6/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer pours a cloudy red color with orange hues. The head is large, rocky, and off white. It recedes slowly into thick lacing. The aroma is of anise, dates, and the Unibroue house yeast. The taste is of dates, anise, caramel, plums, and yeast. The mouthfeel is dry, yet with a sugary texture....weird....very weird, but interesting. Overall, this is a very thought provoking beer. I will certainly drink this again and again.

4.6/5  rDev +17.6%

Review #500. I'm not much of a landmark guy, but I do see threads where people ask should I drink this rare beer or this rare beer to commemorate my reviewing landmark. Meh...its only a number. Still, I wanted to pick something symbolic of how I approach beer. I'm a strong supporter of the Canadian scene, which I think is sorely overlooked, not just by American beer lovers, but also Canadian ones. It frustrates me that guys in Canada know intricate details of beers brewed in California, but can't tell me much about anything made in Canada. I've made it my mission to find out what we have to offer, and I've found that we have a lot to be proud about. Its too bad some of the beers I've come across are so limited in their distribution, but you'll just have to vacation here to try them! Anyway, beer #500 is this wonderful Belgian Pale from Quebec's best known brewery.

Pours like an apple cider, but with an impressive ivory head, which hangs around, but just does not want any part in sticking to the glass. Sweet, fruity aromas, with rum fudge and cloves. Surprising hoppy bitterness upfront soon gives way to a complex blend of caramel and spices, with candied dark fruits. There are lots of elements in here that remind me of a barleywine - a nice sweetness, emphasis on toffee, and smooth raisin flavour. This impression is accentuated by a slick, syrupy body, kept from becoming cloying by a medium carbonation. The body is the most impressive match I've come across in a Unibroue, and is not as carbonated as their other offerings can be.

I did not expect this beer to vault into my favourite Unibroues because the reviews have quite a number of the other beers classed above Seigneuriale, but the flavour just pulled me in. I'm a sucker for caramel, spice and raisin flavours, and the abundance of these made sure I was on to a sure-fire winner. Asides from the flavour, the element that most impressed me was the mouthfeel. I usually let most Unibroues sit for a while to let the carbonation calm down, but this was already a fantastic match for the flavour profile. An excellent choice!

4.57/5  rDev +16.9%

Corked and caged 750 dated best before 7-31-09 purchased at Merchant's in Dearborn and poured into a tulip. Retired? I don't think so....

Hazy amber under a huge head of off white. Good retention with plenty of webbed rings of lace.

Has that classic Uni house yeast aroma that comes across as fruity with some chalk and dust. Has an almost peach/pear smell combined with spices and lemon zest. Very nice.

Tastes very spicy with all that the nose promised is now delivered. Not so peachy but the pear and lemon is there. Dry and chalky with a lingering finish of spice and dry fruits. A bit of banana and clove in the back. Think La Fin Du Monde with much more fruit.

Medium mouth with a lot of well placed carbonation. One of the most drinkable Uni beers. Flavorful, but with a low enough abv to keep from getting sloppy. I was hoping for something not as confused as the Chambly Niore or the 2005 and was rewarded with a solid Uni brew that I will revisit for sure.

4.54/5  rDev +16.1%

A-Burnt orange colored...big ass frothy white head that continues to build as it sits...

S-A lot of sweet berries....strawberries....red raspberries...even some mild blueberries....in addition some watermelon notes...very inviting...

T-Sweet but not cloying....honey...sweet berries....some breadiness...mild yeasty spiciness on the finish.

M-Carbonated but easy drinking...the carbonation holds the sweeter notes in check perfectly...body is about medium, perhaps a little lighter...

D-I really like Unibroue beers and this one is another winner. I've never seen it around my area before. i will be buying more...

4.54/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This lovely ale pours a hazy amber with a thick white head into my tulip glass. Smells boldly of burnt brown sugar, candied fruits, apricots, orange peel, caramel and coriander. Tastes just as it smells. Big sugary notes balanced by a faint bitterness. Caramel, candied fruits, pineapple and spices are present throughout the taste. Mouthfeel is thick and smooth. I frickin love this ale. I have a bottle I plan on aging as well.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours a very nice amber/reddish/pale color with a decent head that leaves some lacing. Aroma is strong and fruity, spicy as well. Smells very drinkable up front, which is always a good thing. Taste is very much the same with a nice mixture of fruit (raisin and apple), tartness and a decent yeast character. Goes down very smooth. Very drinkable for a Belgian Strong Pale Ale. Leaves a lot of lacing. As it warms up, it takes on a character that suggests sipping and not gulping.

Yet another high quality ale from Unibroue. They never fail to impress me.

4.47/5  rDev +14.3%

I drank a lot of Unibroue in last six months and never saw this until recently, so naturally I had to give it a try. Poured into to my Chimay chalice a musty reddish amber hue with high lights from beneath. The head was nice and white, leaving wave like lacing all the way down. Smelt of warm bread, nice fruit esters, predominantly banana and grapefruit maybe even hints of apple, some spice and Belgian yeast. Tasted so smooth on the tongue, velvety, with hints of malt, a nice musty thickness, wonderful fruit and spice pallet, some caramel and toffee notes, with a tinge of alcohol warmth only felt residually, but completely hidden other wise. Definitely a Belgian style brew, I might even call this more of a tripel then a BSPA, this is good stuff, thanks again Unibroue.

4.47/5  rDev +14.3%

Found this at Smoking Joe's in Pittsburgh.

Pours a soft amber if a little cloudy that gives a generous head. The smell is full of lovely yeast phenols and light sweet malt bits. Lots of taste seems squeezed into the beer itself and small taste melt over and over on the tongue until the spit dilutes it. Nice full dense carbonation give a lovely body and it is very drinkable and any rate.

Best before 7-31-09

A-Pours an amber/golden with a big huge cap. The head dissipates quickly. Lacing is fairly tight ad this ends up looking like a nice beer.

S-Very sweet smelling with a good deal of yeast there as well. Bits of funk play in the background to prevent it from becoming cloying. Faint alcohol is evident as it warms.

T-Much dryer than anticipated from the smell. A good dose of hops balance the beer throughout and tone down the yeast as well. There is a residual sweetness that makes you know this is a Belgian style but is is muted somewhat. Some barnyard funk appears as well in the aftertaste. Hints of sour apple, tropical fruit and something I cannot put my finger on.

M-Effervescent like most Unibroue beers but less so than normal. Enough to push the flavours around but not enough to sting the tongue.

D-I was expecting a La Fin Du Monde copy but this is different. A bit more funky and maltier. All in all an excellent beer and one I wish I saw more of. Sufficiently hoppy this could be a BIPA.

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Typical Unibroue presentation, caged, corked, best before dating the whole bit, opens and flows, medium cloudy softly orangey amber, with a long lasting tan head. Leaves big time, classy looking lacing, nose is strikingly of oranges, pepper, yeast, nice. Soft and instantly enjoyable, fruit, spice , yeast and Belgian (style) goodness. Soft on the tongue, easily enjoyable. An instant favorite, went very well with a salad, some nuts and creamy after diner cheese. I love the style, so a well done version like this one really makes me happy, happy, happy. Well done and well worth at least several tries.

4.42/5  rDev +13%

750ml bottle in a snifter glass.

A - Copper to orange/brown color with a thick off white head that stays for a while.

S - Sweet and fruity. There is also a scent of honey. Nice!

T - Just like the smell it's fruity and sweet. It also has that typical Unibrou yeast taste.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - Great beer with a great finish. Great choice for anyone who likes Unibrou, personally, I think this is my favorite brewery.

4.42/5  rDev +13%

another ale style that is hard to catoragize, I just know it has
so much going for it, it tastes like nothing you find in the states,
its familar to one of my other favs from this brewery Maudite but
it has its own delicious characters going on. Highly carbonated
(the bottle almost landed me on the ground) but its got some
taste that is well balanced, fruity, it has so much of the Belgium
style I love.
I'm not an expert in these beers but its a treat when you can open up one of these beauties, its quality stuff.

4.4/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I just had a bottle of a imperial Hefe that tasted too hot and one dimensional for a strong summer style. While this is not a wheat beer it does taste like an imperial hefe in the citrus notes and the light spicy notes on the finish. This is a well balanced beer that has a lighter touch than some of the bigger Unibroue beers and one I will drink more often.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
La Seigneuriale from Unibroue