La Seigneuriale - Unibroue

Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-17-2005

4.71/5  rDev +20.5%

A: This brew appears to glow, with a tawny color in the base of the glass, appearing almost blonde away at the edges. It is pleasantly cloudy. This was the most enticing looking glass from Unibroue I have seen.

S: Seigneuriale has a mild aroma that was deceiving. I anticipated a more mild taste. The smell is sweet and yeasty.

T: I have high expectations from Unibroue. Many of my favorites come from this brewery. This rivals them all. Seigneuriale has a slight sour taste that is perfectly balanced against a sweet flavor that tastes almost as much of caramel as it does of fruit. There are notes of what seems like a subtle coriander flavor. This is very complex and flavorful, but not powerful.

M: The perfect amount of carbonation for me, and with a sweetness that does not come with a syrupy feel.

O: This is a worldclass beer that I was happy to get a hold of. Please bring this back, Unibroue!

4.64/5  rDev +18.7%

Tangelic, resting on clouds. The cork pops out angrily, spewing beer all over our dear friend's counter, the glass is filled, the gush slows and the room is alive with aromas of fresh fruit. There is a serenity..

Sweet mango and apricot, cut into that. Little bit of spice but the fruits are amazing. It drinks beautifully, not overly sweet and full of that fruity lushness. So delicious (best before 7/31/09) I can't believe my compadres do not want more. (Brutal local Iron Chef victory the night before - many mini mead tasters). I heroically drink nearly the entire bottle to myself, my heart light with joy.

A fantastic beer with a few years on it, I really enjoyed it, my best experience with Unibroue so far.

4.62/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Big head in the Duvel tulip, cloudy light brown with the yeast pour. Nice looking beer.

S - Oh yeah. Maybe my smell receptors are having a good day, but I'm getting some strong fruity esters. Mostly sweet, juicy wild strawberry.

T - Sweet-bready, with that telltale Unibroue yeast. Seems nicely hopped, with some sweetness that never becomes overbearing. Lots of fleeting fruit flavors, but the complexity doesn't feel scattershot, it seems dialed in.

F - Spot on - goes down like water, but plenty carbonated.

D - Give it to me, man. This strikes me as quite under-rated at this point. 7.5% ABV never becomes a detriment. I think this is my favorite Unibroue offering to date. Granted, I haven't yet tried Trois Pistoles, but this is a great beer. I like it more than La Fin Du Monde. Very assertive, strong effort in a style with many heavyweight contenders.

4.6/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer pours a cloudy red color with orange hues. The head is large, rocky, and off white. It recedes slowly into thick lacing. The aroma is of anise, dates, and the Unibroue house yeast. The taste is of dates, anise, caramel, plums, and yeast. The mouthfeel is dry, yet with a sugary texture....weird....very weird, but interesting. Overall, this is a very thought provoking beer. I will certainly drink this again and again.

4.6/5  rDev +17.6%

Review #500. I'm not much of a landmark guy, but I do see threads where people ask should I drink this rare beer or this rare beer to commemorate my reviewing landmark. Meh...its only a number. Still, I wanted to pick something symbolic of how I approach beer. I'm a strong supporter of the Canadian scene, which I think is sorely overlooked, not just by American beer lovers, but also Canadian ones. It frustrates me that guys in Canada know intricate details of beers brewed in California, but can't tell me much about anything made in Canada. I've made it my mission to find out what we have to offer, and I've found that we have a lot to be proud about. Its too bad some of the beers I've come across are so limited in their distribution, but you'll just have to vacation here to try them! Anyway, beer #500 is this wonderful Belgian Pale from Quebec's best known brewery.

Pours like an apple cider, but with an impressive ivory head, which hangs around, but just does not want any part in sticking to the glass. Sweet, fruity aromas, with rum fudge and cloves. Surprising hoppy bitterness upfront soon gives way to a complex blend of caramel and spices, with candied dark fruits. There are lots of elements in here that remind me of a barleywine - a nice sweetness, emphasis on toffee, and smooth raisin flavour. This impression is accentuated by a slick, syrupy body, kept from becoming cloying by a medium carbonation. The body is the most impressive match I've come across in a Unibroue, and is not as carbonated as their other offerings can be.

I did not expect this beer to vault into my favourite Unibroues because the reviews have quite a number of the other beers classed above Seigneuriale, but the flavour just pulled me in. I'm a sucker for caramel, spice and raisin flavours, and the abundance of these made sure I was on to a sure-fire winner. Asides from the flavour, the element that most impressed me was the mouthfeel. I usually let most Unibroues sit for a while to let the carbonation calm down, but this was already a fantastic match for the flavour profile. An excellent choice!

4.57/5  rDev +16.9%

Corked and caged 750 dated best before 7-31-09 purchased at Merchant's in Dearborn and poured into a tulip. Retired? I don't think so....

Hazy amber under a huge head of off white. Good retention with plenty of webbed rings of lace.

Has that classic Uni house yeast aroma that comes across as fruity with some chalk and dust. Has an almost peach/pear smell combined with spices and lemon zest. Very nice.

Tastes very spicy with all that the nose promised is now delivered. Not so peachy but the pear and lemon is there. Dry and chalky with a lingering finish of spice and dry fruits. A bit of banana and clove in the back. Think La Fin Du Monde with much more fruit.

Medium mouth with a lot of well placed carbonation. One of the most drinkable Uni beers. Flavorful, but with a low enough abv to keep from getting sloppy. I was hoping for something not as confused as the Chambly Niore or the 2005 and was rewarded with a solid Uni brew that I will revisit for sure.

4.54/5  rDev +16.1%

A-Burnt orange colored...big ass frothy white head that continues to build as it sits...

S-A lot of sweet berries....strawberries....red raspberries...even some mild blueberries....in addition some watermelon notes...very inviting...

T-Sweet but not cloying....honey...sweet berries....some breadiness...mild yeasty spiciness on the finish.

M-Carbonated but easy drinking...the carbonation holds the sweeter notes in check perfectly...body is about medium, perhaps a little lighter...

D-I really like Unibroue beers and this one is another winner. I've never seen it around my area before. i will be buying more...

4.54/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This lovely ale pours a hazy amber with a thick white head into my tulip glass. Smells boldly of burnt brown sugar, candied fruits, apricots, orange peel, caramel and coriander. Tastes just as it smells. Big sugary notes balanced by a faint bitterness. Caramel, candied fruits, pineapple and spices are present throughout the taste. Mouthfeel is thick and smooth. I frickin love this ale. I have a bottle I plan on aging as well.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours a very nice amber/reddish/pale color with a decent head that leaves some lacing. Aroma is strong and fruity, spicy as well. Smells very drinkable up front, which is always a good thing. Taste is very much the same with a nice mixture of fruit (raisin and apple), tartness and a decent yeast character. Goes down very smooth. Very drinkable for a Belgian Strong Pale Ale. Leaves a lot of lacing. As it warms up, it takes on a character that suggests sipping and not gulping.

Yet another high quality ale from Unibroue. They never fail to impress me.

4.47/5  rDev +14.3%

I drank a lot of Unibroue in last six months and never saw this until recently, so naturally I had to give it a try. Poured into to my Chimay chalice a musty reddish amber hue with high lights from beneath. The head was nice and white, leaving wave like lacing all the way down. Smelt of warm bread, nice fruit esters, predominantly banana and grapefruit maybe even hints of apple, some spice and Belgian yeast. Tasted so smooth on the tongue, velvety, with hints of malt, a nice musty thickness, wonderful fruit and spice pallet, some caramel and toffee notes, with a tinge of alcohol warmth only felt residually, but completely hidden other wise. Definitely a Belgian style brew, I might even call this more of a tripel then a BSPA, this is good stuff, thanks again Unibroue.

4.47/5  rDev +14.3%

Found this at Smoking Joe's in Pittsburgh.

Pours a soft amber if a little cloudy that gives a generous head. The smell is full of lovely yeast phenols and light sweet malt bits. Lots of taste seems squeezed into the beer itself and small taste melt over and over on the tongue until the spit dilutes it. Nice full dense carbonation give a lovely body and it is very drinkable and any rate.

Best before 7-31-09

A-Pours an amber/golden with a big huge cap. The head dissipates quickly. Lacing is fairly tight ad this ends up looking like a nice beer.

S-Very sweet smelling with a good deal of yeast there as well. Bits of funk play in the background to prevent it from becoming cloying. Faint alcohol is evident as it warms.

T-Much dryer than anticipated from the smell. A good dose of hops balance the beer throughout and tone down the yeast as well. There is a residual sweetness that makes you know this is a Belgian style but is is muted somewhat. Some barnyard funk appears as well in the aftertaste. Hints of sour apple, tropical fruit and something I cannot put my finger on.

M-Effervescent like most Unibroue beers but less so than normal. Enough to push the flavours around but not enough to sting the tongue.

D-I was expecting a La Fin Du Monde copy but this is different. A bit more funky and maltier. All in all an excellent beer and one I wish I saw more of. Sufficiently hoppy this could be a BIPA.

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Typical Unibroue presentation, caged, corked, best before dating the whole bit, opens and flows, medium cloudy softly orangey amber, with a long lasting tan head. Leaves big time, classy looking lacing, nose is strikingly of oranges, pepper, yeast, nice. Soft and instantly enjoyable, fruit, spice , yeast and Belgian (style) goodness. Soft on the tongue, easily enjoyable. An instant favorite, went very well with a salad, some nuts and creamy after diner cheese. I love the style, so a well done version like this one really makes me happy, happy, happy. Well done and well worth at least several tries.

4.42/5  rDev +13%

750ml bottle in a snifter glass.

A - Copper to orange/brown color with a thick off white head that stays for a while.

S - Sweet and fruity. There is also a scent of honey. Nice!

T - Just like the smell it's fruity and sweet. It also has that typical Unibrou yeast taste.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - Great beer with a great finish. Great choice for anyone who likes Unibrou, personally, I think this is my favorite brewery.

4.42/5  rDev +13%

another ale style that is hard to catoragize, I just know it has
so much going for it, it tastes like nothing you find in the states,
its familar to one of my other favs from this brewery Maudite but
it has its own delicious characters going on. Highly carbonated
(the bottle almost landed me on the ground) but its got some
taste that is well balanced, fruity, it has so much of the Belgium
style I love.
I'm not an expert in these beers but its a treat when you can open up one of these beauties, its quality stuff.

4.4/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I just had a bottle of a imperial Hefe that tasted too hot and one dimensional for a strong summer style. While this is not a wheat beer it does taste like an imperial hefe in the citrus notes and the light spicy notes on the finish. This is a well balanced beer that has a lighter touch than some of the bigger Unibroue beers and one I will drink more often.

4.38/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed last night at Pazzos with the owner, a Unibroue representative, and some great beer enthusiasts. This is another impressive brew from Unibroue. Naturally, very Belgian, and with some impressive Wit-like softness. Strong pale and wheat malts and that classic twangy Belgian yeast. Very fruity (peaches, pears, appricots, mangos), estery (clove, bananna, papaya), and spicy (pepper, corriander, orange peel). Less hot and fusal as Unibroue beers usually get, rather very soft, abundantly carbonated, and smooth. Very dry in the finish with a clean fruity quality. Thanks Karl.

4.38/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

06/20/08- Consumed during my two week Montana vacation.

Presentation- 750ml bottle, both caged and corked. Best by date on the bottom of the label.
Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Medium golden colored pour, light yeast particles in the pour as well. Large rocky one inch plus head with a full 1/2 and inch staying power. Chunks and light patches of lace remain.

Smell- Lots of yeast and lots of confectioiers sugar. Clove, corriander and white pepper also in the nose.

Taste- Very yeasty attributes. Considerable sweet with floods of powdered sugar. Clove and nutmeg combine with white pepper and lots of corriander.

Mouthfeel- Well carbonated, but smooth and creamy with a full mouthfeel.

Drinkability- This could pass for an imperial witbier if there was such a thing. I found more qualities towards a wit than a pale ale. Very good though whatever the style.

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

Slightly hazed in the center, toffee orange, almost peach in color, with a large, foamy, just off white head. A lot of Belgian yeast in the aroma, fruity and estery, bananas, some dark fruits like plums and dates, quite sweet and juicy. The flavor was almost wheaty and zesty, I think from the spice in play. Fruity flavors as well, and almost a candy like sweetness. Hops are there to balance and accent, maybe add a touch of citrus flavor and zest. Pouring the second half of the 750mL bottle, the Belgian yeast and banana flavors came more into play, maybe even some grapes, raisins, and tangerines. The candy like sweetness persists throughout the whole beer. The alcohol is there and noticeable, but is quite gentil, no kick to it. This would be a great choice to pair with a meal or dessert.

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

A hazey amber colored beer with ruby highlights. Has a huge beige head. Has a nice dried fruit character in the aroma with hints of peach and apple. There are some peppery, spicey notes in the back ground. The dried fruit character carries over into the taste. But with more of a fig note than the apple. The finish has dry spicey peppery character that makes for a very satisfying ending
NOTE this beer is listed as retired. I bought this bottle at the Fourquette et Fourchette in Chambly (this is the brewerys restuarant) on July 22, 2006.
So I can't belive this is retired.

Unibroue Seigneuriale
750 bottle
Medium pour in a tulip glass
Recent brewing, corked out 12/06

Poured a murky light brown, with amber highlights, with an average fizzy somewhat diminishing off-white head.

Smelt of strong sweet oranges, bananas, tutti frutti, and cloves, with light vanilla and buttered toffee.

Taste was upfront bittersweet strong cloves, ginger and other spices, mushroomy yeast and sweet bread pudding followed by more of the same, with an accentuated bitter and pungent tastes, on a long finish. Palate was medium to full bodied, softly carbonated, although a bit prickling at times, creamy, moderately astrigent and lightly alcoholic.

Overall, the taste of cloves is fantastic here: prominent, but not overbearing on the other qualities of the beer. Excellent overall, but I'm a huge cloves fan.

4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured into a duvel glass, it settles with a hazy walnut color and a substantial 3 fingers worth of foam. Fruity esters figure prominently in the nose, with a touch of additional medicinal yeast character and light hops. Flavor is quite interesting: at first I detected just some soft malt and fruity yeast character, but a gentle, complex spiciness becomes apparent as the taste develops and lingers. The spices aren't really identifiable, though it feels like cinnamon might be one of them at the end. There are hints of vanilla as well.

Subtle, tasteful, and complex--a very nice beer from Unibroue.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served to me by @laituegonflable, purchased from Slowbeer in Melbourne and transferred back to Sydney. Possibly one of my last Unibroue beers in Australia given their new policy on exportation. Sob.

Pours a cloudy burnished murky brown, with a filmy but thick head of off-white foam. Some lacing, but the retention in the head isn't great. But otherwise, not too bad.

Big caramel and burnt toffee notes on the nose, very sweet and rich. A little hint of something slightly spicy and round, with a bit of butter fullness. Quite belgian in style. Rich and delicious.

Taste is full and sweet, with some slight acidic notes of currant midway through the palate. Finish is lingering with toffee notes, certainly round and full to the finish. Very delicious all the way through, very few, if any, unpleasant notes - it's all full of pleasant, well balanced deliciousness. Mouthfeel is excellent, matching the roundness and slight acidity really well.

Surprisingly drinkable given the rich, full flavours. It's really smooth, with a crispness from the latent acidity - a really, really lovely drop.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Hazed, deep amber hue, adequate, if disappearing froth above...

Aroma is hoppy, sweet, malty, very Belgian, immediately reminds me of Maudite...another sniff: dark fruits, loads of spices, quite lively, and very lovely. I like it.

Taste: mmmm! More of the same detected in the nose, the spice, the malt, the dark fruit, the deliciousness...the similarities to Maudite...?
A bit of a wheaten feel to the texture, too....don't know if I'm right or not, though...tastes great, can't argue with that...

A very nice beer, this, plenty of spice, would make a nice dinner accompaniament...medium bodied, long, fruity finish, plenty of hops to keep you burping...another very delicious, utterly uncategorizable brew from Unibroue. Hats, or...chapeaus, I should say, off to them!

I will return to this one, it was enchanting.

4.3/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A gradated beverage that is honey-gold at the bottom of the glass growing increasingly foggy terra-cotta upwards. The head is the typical Unibroue monstrous pillar of soiled linen yellow-white, plenty of height and plenty of stickiness.
It crosses the nose with a slightly more acidic lean than its stablemates. This has that pear-green apple-ruby red grapefruit-lime vinousness of Sauvignon Blanc, then focusing on apple cores and darkened with a bit of cedar mustiness, and burrowed into a deep honeyed graham graininess, and sprinkled with multicolored peppercorns.
It enters the mouth with a graininess that sweetens towards that same Sauvignon Blanc from the nose, lightly tart fruit, lime, grapefruit, pear, and green apple. The house Unibroue Yeast brings peppercorns, and further fruitiness via apricot, plantains, melon, and kiwi, all very familiar to fans of the line. With attention, caramel and dough will emerge, but fruitiness remains King. Hopping is minor and only balances the punch-like notions. It ends dry, with brittle grass.
It's a fully fluffed medium body, and carries the weight swiftly down the throat.
Call me a sucker for Uni's pale beverages. It carries much of the same yeasty Unibroue familiarity, but the slightly acidic lean of this makes it stand out. It's like a slightly tarter, lighter, table-version of La Fin Du Monde. I can't help but like that.

La Seigneuriale from Unibroue