La Seigneuriale - Unibroue

La SeigneurialeLa Seigneuriale

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-17-2005)
2.5/5  rDev -36.1%

2.7/5  rDev -30.9%

Served from appropriately temperatured bottle to pint glass. Head enormous; fluffy foamy goodness. The color of melted pennies in honey, thoroughly cloudy. Standard Unibroue Yeast base staring at me from the bottom of the bottle.

But alas, all is not well here. Taste is sharply oversweet with an acrid bite. Sours in an uncomplimentary fashion in the mouth. Wet. Malts and Fruits, Malts and Fruits, but not in a good way, in a poorly balanced way.

To the beers credit, I did not know what to expect on this, not like you really know what to expect of it's belgian brethren. But them I like, this one, not so much.

My first disappointment from Unibroue- a sad day.

2.83/5  rDev -27.6%

A: A somewhat foggy, golden straw pour... nice, fizzly kinda head. Retains well, with a bit of latticing lace.

S: A bit of a lemony zest... pretty heavy leaning towards citrus aromas. A little bit of a spicy touch in there, perhaps, but it ends up smelling a little more like household cleaner. A little unfortunate that it was the only thing I could think of to compare it to.

T: Fortunately, it does not TASTE like household cleaner. It does, however, have a taste that I might have expected from the scent. Very lemon-citrusy, almost soapy, a bit of an earthy or musty flavour going on. It's not undrinkable, but it's not exactly what I might consider a pleasant flavour.

M: Alright here... a nice little snap of mild carbonation, quite clean, finishing just short of semi-dry.

D: This is probably a one time thing for me. I am a fan of the Unibroue name to date, and the others I've had prior to this have been quite wonderful ales. It would have been worse if it tasted like 'Fantastik,' but it was just too lemony, chemical, and soapy for my palate.

notes: looking at some earlier reviews, I see mention of raisiny, apple, etc... flavours, but the review immediately before mine speaks much the same language. Maybe there are some off-bottles floating around, maybe it's just a case of taste, who knows. I would be willing to give it another shot, based solely on my satisfaction with their other products, at a later date.

2.93/5  rDev -25.1%

This beer was very disappointing. Unibroue makes some of my favorite beers but like Blanche de Chambly this one meets the "average" mark.

The pour was okay, a bit crisp and clear.

The nose was okay as well with fresh fruit and yeast apparent.

The taste was like apples-golden apples. This could be a beer/cider. Not very complex and not very tasty compared to others from this brewery.

Mouthfeel was thin, crisp and overly carbonated.

I had a 750ml corked and couldn't wait to try it. My brother came through and wanted to try a good beer and this was what I brought home. Man I should have gotten the Terrible for a buck more.

This beer does not leave a lasting impression.

2.95/5  rDev -24.6%

Reviewed 11/14/2007 (bottle BB 07-31-09):

Pous a medium brown color, very cloudy. Smalllish head, quickly diminishing, off-white color, very creamy. Vepy floral, dark fruit, perfumy, heavy. Sweet smelling. Floral, fizzy fruity taste. Not as fruity as the aroma. Dark heavy tasting. Tastes like a Belgian sttrong. Some smoke.

3.03/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Slightly cloudy, light orange/amber colour with a rocky, light beige head. The foam quickly dissipated and didn't leave anything behind on the sides of the glass. Smells of alcohol, bubblegum, light pineapple, spices (clove, nutmeg, maybe cinnamon), and vanilla. Very nice. First taste... What the hell happened? A thin, candy sweetness kicks things off and is followed by an overbearing, bitter spiciness that lingers on the palate. Fortunately, a bit of bready, yeasty flavour appears towards the end. Some fruit character is present, but isn't enough to balance out the harshness. Decent texture, medium bodied, slight slickness. But what happened to the flavour? What a surprise after sampling the delightful and complex aroma.

3.05/5  rDev -22%

750ml bottle with cork. Purchased this because I had enjoyed other Unibroue ales from a variety pack. Poured about 3/4 of the bottle into an imperial pint glass leaving much of the yeast in the bottle. Good head at first, dissipates quickly. Dark amber and hazy. Very fruit forward smell. Taste is the same. My girlfriend had a try and correctly commented on the syrupy flavor and cough medicine finish. Very thick and sugary. Malty to say the least. A little too sweet for my taste, but very strong and it gets better as it warms. I prefer Unibroue's Maudite strong amber over this one.

Photo of

22oz. bottle.

Dark gold to amber in color. Very hazy. Huge white head.

Aroma was fruity and floral. I could not pick up any specific characteristic for the malt contribution.

Taste was sweet, reminded me of apples and pears. Bitterness balanced the sweet well, primarily as an herbal/grassy type of flavor.

Medium in body, with rather high carbonation. Finish was drying.

Overall, OK, but not one of my favorite Unibroue offerings. I will probably try this again at some point down the road to see if my opinion changes.

3.05/5  rDev -22%

Poured from a 750 ml. bottle. Leaves a crazy, fizzy head of three fingers plus, tan in hue, and eventually recedes to one finger with good retention and good lacing. Body is a hazy amber brownish yellow, sort of like unfiltered apple cider. Looks good.

Smell - cloves and bananas from the yeast upfront. Horse blanket and sour apples under that.

Taste - like the smell. Horse blanket and sour apples wahsed through with cloves and bananas, although all these flavors are rather subdued, almost weak. A sour and not likeable metallic taste on the finish and aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, slightly puckering from sour taste.

Drinkability - this is not a bad ale, but not great. I dislike the metallic sourness.

3.15/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours a coppery brown color with a thin offtan head. There is slight retention and little lacing as the head dissipates.

It has a champagne-like nose, with a bit of citrus.

I'm not sure I'd consider this a pale ale, at least not the kind I'm used to. I picked up some citrus notes in the taste, but there was litle in the way of a hoppy bite.

It feels a bit like a champagne at different stages. Early on, there is a fruity champagne feel. Then it sours a bit before finishing dry and champagne like again.

I've been a fan of everything I've had from Unibroue except this one. The bomber I had was just beyond the 'best by' date and that could be the problem. I'd like to have another bottle to see if a fresher one tasted better, but since this is no longer brewed, I can only go with what I've got.

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

A-dark opaque amber with a nice cream colored head

S-Belgian wheat and spices with peaches in there as well, strong scent

T-mmm a complicated beer. Belgian spices and peach hit upfront. it leaves with an alcoholic peach flavor. very interesting indeed, not comparable to the great Belgian pale ales however.

M-high carbonation with a dry finish

D-this bottle is meant to be shared. its fun to have but i'll never have a second one. something about the taste makes it exhausting

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

A: Cloudy, almost glowing but opaque amber. Pours a nice fluffy head that settles down to a light coating, leaving almost no lacing.

S: Some sort of fruit. I want to say oranges. It's diluted by a vaguely sweet grain smell. There's some alcohol behind it if you go looking.

T: Not fantastic. Good. Sweet malt but not overly strong, not alot of hops. Pretty much no spice or bitterness. This beer is also pretty one note. I'm looking for complexity but I don't find any. You may think I'm crazy, but this beer kind of tastes like salt water taffy. Not too sweet, and a little weird. It's not -bad-, but there's not alot here that makes me want to come back. The taste is fine, it just doesn't go anywhere. And seriously, salt water taffy.

M: Good carbonation, good medium body, and very smooth. You could ask for a nicer feel but you probably wouldn't get it.

D: Polishing off a bomber is easy. Polishing off two would be work. Not just because of the alcohol, but this beer's flavor doesn't change or have any depth to keep it interesting.

3.28/5  rDev -16.1%

750ml bottle, caged and corked. Pours a hazy copper color. Off-white three finger head is quite frothy, many peaks and valleys of large bubble foam, leaving a sticky sleeve of lacing around the inner rim.

The aroma is of Belgian yeast and dried fruit piqued by some spicy notes.The flavor is a bit sour and flat--though I was drinking some Pedro Ximénez sherry prior to sampling this; its syrupy character may have coated and dulled my tongue a bit. Though the flavor is mainly comprised of sour apple, raisin, and a hint of grapefruit--and the alcohol is rather in your face.

It's rather light in bodied and well carbonated, though features less malt and yeast than one might expect. It's a bit harsh and sour to be all that drinkable. Not one of Unibroue's best efforts.

3.28/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Josh for this as a Christmas gift. Opening it today in anticipation of the Championship Games today.

APPEARANCE: Pours into my Unibroue tulip a very hazy ruddy brown. An off-white head forms on top and starts out tremendously high. It eventually descends to an almost full cap covering the surface.

SMELL: Big time Unibroue yeast aroma. There's no mistaking this one. Some moderate fruity esters come out as does a definitive spiciness.

TASTE: A light and fleeting flavor profile is again highlighted by a huge bready yeastiness. It's funky and pungent especially on the finish where a surprising bit of hop flavor comes through.

MOUTHFEEL: The carbonation is fairly sharp and the body is thick, especially when compared to the robustness of the flavors.

DRINKABILITY: It's an easy drinker, certainly worth coming in a 750mL size. The fuller body inhibits a bit, however. I'll be alright with just this bottle.

Not a bad beer, but given all the great Unibroue beers available, I don't think this one would be a priority purchase for me. I prefer many of their other offerings to this one.

3.28/5  rDev -16.1%

a: This is a slightly cloudy light yellowish copper color. It pours with a large light tan head that fades quickly.

s: Lots of intersting fruit aromas here. at various times I thought I smelled, raisins, cherries, pineapples, grapes, and apples. There is also a funky, peppery, caramel smell that I didn't care for.

t: This has a very heavy raisin flavor along with some apples and cherries. There is also some tart floral hop tastes. Overall, this is very dry and quite sour.

m: The carbonation here was so aggressive that it almost hurt. It was too prickly and fizzy.

d: I love Unibroue and this did taste good, but the carbonation was too much of a turn-off.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a huge white head that disapated into about 1/4 in. A hazy golden color. The aroma is somewhat sweet, almost like sugar along with some yeast and very little spice. Taste is somewhat melow compared to other Unibroue brews but it does come a little more alive as it warms up which is to be expected. There is a pleasant smoothness with this one. There really isn't to much of a spice in this one for me that others seem to be getting. Caramel sweetness and malts really are the stongest with some fruit in there. Nice dry bitterness in the end. Very drinkable and enjoyable.
Somewhat simple compared to their other brews.

3.28/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from a corked and caged 750mL bottle into my big snifter. The bottle says best before 07.31.2009, so let's see.

Appearance - a deep golden brown. It's a bit hazy. The head is off-white, billowy-cottony, and drops quickly, leaving a ring of lace about a finger and a half above the surface of the liquid.

Smell - the moment I popped the cork, a strong apple scent filled my kitchen, like I had just cut some fresh ones up. Actually putting my nose in the glass, however, more malt comes through than apple. How strange. After a couple of whiffs, apple comes back, but this time it's not fresh apple. It's dried apple chips, like you would get in a trail mix, and it smells like they got a little wet. If we're going by just the scent from a foot or two away as you pour it, this thing gets a five. We're not, though, so it doesn't.

Taste - some apple, some cinnamon, some off-flavours (hey, it's almost two years older than it "should" be). It reminds me of a really heavily spiced apple jelly I made this past fall, minus the old beer off-tastes. In addition to the apple, there are also nondescript fruity flavours, and some yeastiness once the apple and spice get past your tongue. Finally, there is a little bit of maple syrup, a very little bit, that kind of comes through on the end. Not bad, but the smell of wet apple chips does come through into the taste, and makes the finish and aftertaste stranger than I'd like.

Mouthfeel - very bubbly. The carbonation has that prickly sharp feeling, and for me, that helps to balance out the strong sweetness of the beer. I think that without the bubbles, this beer would be sticky, cloyingly sweet, and far less enjoyable.

Drinkability - OK. The wet apple chips thing is still bothering me, and I don't see it getting any better. I wish I had tasted this a couple of years ago, when it was still in its prime.

I can definitely see that this beer would have probably been yummy a few years ago, but I think it's suffered from improper store-aging. There was a bunch of this on the shelf last time I went to Beers of the World. I almost bought two. I'm not sad that I bought one, but I'm sure glad I didn't get another.

3.3/5  rDev -15.6%

750 ml into a pint glass. Pours a thick, opaque golden with a lot of fluffy head. Smells sharp and spicy, no sweet. Tastes a little sweeter, though, a bite of alcohol, a tad harsh. Feels fairly thick, finishes lighter and sharper. I'd probably go for variety. It's good but not excellent.

3.33/5  rDev -14.8%

(Served in a chalice)

A- This beer pours a dense deep golden oak colored body with tiny bubbles sticking to the glass. There is a thick rocky head that last for a good bit of the beer, sliding back into place after each sip, then it fades to a sticky film.

S- This beer has a huge apple cider slushy nose with some hints of cola and a soft fusel alcohol hint.

T- The dry pale malt taste is overtaken by apple pulp flavors, and then a little lemony prune note comes out. There is a light bitterness in the finish that increases as the beer warms but is not distinctly hops or grain bitterness.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with a fizzy finish and no real alcohol heat just a faint fusel hint on the exhale.

D- This beer is dry with a lot of apple flavors while still being pretty thin on flavor and complexity. I was hoping that there would be some support by the yeast but it just wasn't there.

La Seigneuriale from Unibroue