Unibroue 10 - Unibroue

Unibroue 10Unibroue 10

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-02-2002)
View: Beers (36) |  Events
Reviews by erica:
erica

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

Wow. I may have had this a few years ago, but that's before I joined BA, or maybe just before I felt like reviewing it. However, I am sitting here on a Friday evening, alone, waiting to go out with some friends, and decided now is the time to pop the cork on this baby, which has been sitting in the back of the fridge for a while...

750mL, corked/caged... 03/03/2002 date on the back. Looks intimidating in the bottle, with its sparse gold lettering, but once poured, it becomes quite the friendly Quebec-Belgian beer. It pours out a lovely golden colour, hazy, and when held up to the light almost looks like a sunset, pale yellows fading to a deeper orangey-gold, with a cloud-like white fluffy head that slowly dissapates into just the thinnest half-layer of bubbles inside a halo. Aroma is fantastic! Fresh apples, freshly ground cinnamon, a squeeze of lemon perhaps.. this smells fresh and fruity. I got really excited about it just smelling it, because I knew I'd be able to handle the whole bottle on my own. Taste is just about as amazing as the smell- my Grandma's apple pie, that is pretty much it. Tart apple taste, with that dry apple finish, combined with a spicy-sweetness somewhere in the middle, along with a gooey-sugary-doughy (yeasty?) taste, like the bottom of an apple pie (the inner crust I suppose?). Definitely a dry aftertaste that makes you want more... God this is tasty! Mouthfeel is not as thick as an apple pie, which is a good thing- no, it's well-carbonated but leaves a creamy feeling on your tongue after swallowing. If not for the carbonation it would be too much. Drinkability is awesome, it's 10% ABV but masked EXTREMELY well, I know I will make it through this bottle and proceed to go out with friends to probably either drink Bass from a bottle or fall asleep in a chair somewhere. Yes, the dry/tartness cuts the fruity sweetness just perfectly, that there is no extreme taste or feeling, so I just can't get enough! I will probably go buy another of these if there are any left at my local beer store that sells singles, as there should be, since I only bought this about 2 months ago. And to think, after I bought it I worried that maybe this wasn't one of the good U's! Wrong- it's absolutely Amazing!! Overall - Highly Recommended!!! :)

06-18-2005 01:15:28 | More by erica

Connecticut

11-18-2011 22:01:36 | More by JAHMUR
womencantsail

3.03/5  rDev -29.7%

A: The pour is a very light straw color with a minimal white head capping it.

S: The nose has a strong white wine aroma to it. You could also pick out some similarities to mead. Overall, it's just really sweet. A fair amount of alcohol along with some cork and cardboard oxidation.

T: Intensely sweet with more of that white wine and mead-like character. A pretty large yeast note and plenty of cardboard to it as well.

M: The body is medium with a low to medium level of carbonation.

D: Not surprisingly, this one is well on the way downhill. Not really worth drinking at this point.

12-20-2010 05:40:47 | More by womencantsail
dauss

Colorado

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%

Presentation: 750ml caged and corked. Not much else on the label. Very special tenth anniversary reserve. I do know that it was bottled back in 2002, and it is around 8 years old. The cork was quite easy to get going. About half way through the pull, I had contemplated if I needed to run over to the sink before I finished opening it, but before I could do that, the cork flew out with a satisfying pop, with a very slight fizzing in the bottle.

Appearance: Brilliantly clear golden yellow with a slight tinge of copper. A small white head struggles to form and fades quickly leaving little lacing.

Aroma: A lot of fruity esters, dominating with apples, with a malt sweetness in the background. The medicinal phenols shine through with a peppery finish and a very smooth and pleasant alcoholic warmth, just letting you know that this is packing 10% ABV.

Taste: A lot of medicinal phenols upfront with a slightly sweet malt flavor. A lot of fruity esters shine through again, a little more apple, and some citrus. It finishes with some peppery phenols. The alcohol in barely perceptible, but can feel the warmth the more you drink.

Mouthfeel: It is medium bodied, but finishes light and dry. The carbonation is lacking, but I'll take into consideration that the cork might have let out some CO2 over the past 8 years.

Notes: I probably should have drank this a few years ago. The spiciness and the complexity has faded a bit over time, but it has smoothed out even more since the last time I had this beer 3 years ago. The flavors are still remarkably in a nice balance, but it's lacking the "oompfh" it used to possess. Even at room temperature, it is very smooth, and the reduced level of carbonation makes it that much easier to drink.

07-26-2010 03:43:47 | More by dauss
beergod1

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

WOW! what a foamy head, quite fizzy, As its been cellared for a while. Cloudy yellow-orange in color as I said a huge white foamy head, the lace clings to the side of the glass in layers. Nose is yeasty, citusy, fruity, and sweet, a great aroma to be sure. Start is sweet, the top light to medium, the finish is tart, well hopped, acidic, and the 10% abv warms the 'Belly'. Another winner in my books, a fine beginning to the Unibroue Series

03-28-2010 21:35:41 | More by beergod1
kindestcut

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

Originally reviewed on July 6, 2006.

Pours a beautiful shining gold with a vibrant white head. The carbonation is vibrant and evident.

The aroma is heavy with citrus and malt. The taste is fruity with a strong flavor of apple and citrus. The alcohol lends a bite that leads to a warming finish.

The drinkability is nice due to a pleasant crispness. I would say this would be an excellent beer to replace a white wine at the dinner table.

11-21-2009 06:29:24 | More by kindestcut
LilBeerDoctor

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed on 12/17/08. Bottle found randomly in the back of the fridge of my local beer store! Seems to have been stored well...pours a cloudy light orange with a small white head. Aroma of sweet fruits, particularly apple, some light spices, and yeast. Flavor is mostly sweet with a touch of light fruits, lots of yeast with some bitterness, and a slight vegetal quality. Nice BSA although I suspect this has passed its peak. Still quite enjoyable though.
7/4/8/4/14 (3.7/5)

12-29-2008 18:15:42 | More by LilBeerDoctor
jeffmonarch

Maryland

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

750 ml bottle in a snifter.

A - Bright yellow orange color with a thick white head.

S - Very strong fruit smells, some orange and lemon. A little malt sneaks past the fruit.

T - The fruit is not as strong as the smell but still very present. There is a strong spice flavor though. Very nice.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - Great beer, but what do you expect from Unibroue.

10-09-2008 04:32:34 | More by jeffmonarch
t0rin0

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Seeing this at a beer tasting was a complete surprise a couple weeks ago. I've been meaning to try it for a while now.

The beer is yellowish orange in color, little head, hazy, not much retention. The orange glow is nice and the murkiness is Belgian. Not much to say other than that.

The smell is fruity and spicy. Some apple and some tangy orange. Verry smooth aged malt smell as well. Im curious what this beer was when it was new.

The taste seems almost like a white ale to me. Theres plenty of spices, no hops, possibly some wheat, and lots of sweet aged malt. Very nice and very enjoyable. Surprisingly the carbonation is still there and active.

03-13-2008 21:40:56 | More by t0rin0
faernt

3.93/5  rDev -8.8%

I was happy to hear the pop of the cork when I opened the bottle. It's somewhat old, but quality and little cellar disturbance prevail. I bought this as a "freshie" and only moved once since. The new cellar is a bit more stable than the old one. The temps here vary from 55 to 65 throughout the year. The old cellar was actually the pantry and varied from 60 to 72. I've never had an ideal cave and I suppose that the lack of constancy and temps moving above 55 are contributors to accelerated aging, but this one has made it through.

The taste is "PUT TOGETHER" I really like a beer that is comfortable with itself. I mean that the components respect each other. This can happen with the initial choices a brewer makes and then it can happen in the bottle over time. Unibroue makes good beer,fresh and it's good to taste an aged special that has come to respect itself.(I have old friends that resemble this beer)

The beer has head. I see it in the bottle now. It's about 1/8" high. The glass has subsided to a respectable skim. It looks like a deep gold triple and has a slight tartness that balances the sweetness that immediately pursues it. The flavors are fruity and spicy and balanced. I can't pull flavors out of a taste as well as some, but mango is near here on the back of my tongue. There is enough tartness to generate a substantial saliva response. (Spit is serious.)
(My neice told me that Barbie is serious too.)

The appearance is beautifully clear. It is a very good example of the Belgian style. I feel that, in its maturity, it has become more that the initial offering. I have mixed feelings about cellaring. This beer keeps me putting good, bottle conditioned, 8% (and up) ABV examples away for later.

02-17-2008 23:25:15 | More by faernt
lackenhauser

Maryland

3.3/5  rDev -23.4%

Pale orange in color with very little carbonation to speak of. Not sure if this is due to its age or not-I was expecting more. Slightly fruity and yeasty-faint aroma of apricots. Somewhat sweet and malty flavor dominates. Whatever spiciness that was intended to be here is long gone but the flavor it reaching to say "spices". Rather bland with a spicy note to it. Body is ok-rather thin but not in a bad way. Way past its prime here. I am trying to think when I bought this-I hate to think it was the spring of 07 and this is still on the shelves. Should be in one's cellar and in the front of the shelf for sure.

08-19-2007 01:52:15 | More by lackenhauser
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

This beer comes to me aged a full 7 years, thank you Harry!
Unibroue 10th Anniversary Special Reserve Ale.
750ml silk screened bottle, with classic Unibroue cork with the 'U" logo etched onto both the top and bottom of it.
Pours a very clouded appearance, a light yellow with marmalade orange highlights. Some head formed initially off the pour, but little would stay. A lovely bouquet (especially for something at its age) quite vibrant and fruity. Notes of over ripened fruits and a strong, fermented/mellowed Belgian malt bill. A surprisingly aggressive mouthfeel and lively flavour! Notes of pear and apple in particular, carbonation still on the level and texture suiting the style. Fascinating flavours of apple/vanilla/oak/and earthy spices. Good resonance. This is one Unibroue that HAS aged well. Drinks fantastically! I wish I had a bottle to stash away even longer.

05-18-2007 01:51:51 | More by biegaman
stereosforgeeks

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance: Golden yellow and white 3 finger head. Almost champagne like carbonation. Light lacing.

Smell: Yeasty, spices, pepper, lemons, oranges, and tropical fruits (pineapple?).

Taste: The yeast and spices provide the major flavors here, but they aren't overpowering as the fruits provide a wonderful balance. A nice alcohol warming.

Mouthfeel: Medium/full bodied. The carbonation provide a nice crisp feel.

Drinkability: This is one of my favorite BSPA. I wish I had more of these lying around.

03-28-2007 01:14:29 | More by stereosforgeeks
allengarvin

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

I've had this beer 5 years--I wasn't a BA when it came out, and I don't have any tasting notes, but I remember liking it a lot. Still pours beautifully, with an unusually clear (only slightly hazy) pale, bright golden color, with a beautiful head atop it. Aroma has faded. There are no hop notes any longer, but there is a musty grainy frutiness left. Flavor still remains rather yeasty--a little medicinal, with a tannic pear-skin-like flavor. Bitterness is low, and alcohol is quite apparent at the finish. Body remains full and spritzy.

I probably should have reviewed this a couple years back. It lacks the complexity I recall. Still alright, but not "interesting".

02-26-2007 04:50:34 | More by allengarvin
bruachan

District of Columbia

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

i think i got this at acme when the spot next door closed. it's been in my cellar (fridge)

it's a peachy light amber with some chill haze going on. the head was great at the pour and is still lookin pretty good. grainy pale malt aromas, with a subdued hop and some citrus. fruity: dried apricots

flavors are fruity (not quite apricots—tangerines? with some robust hop character. as the beers warms spices come to the fore: cinnamon, coriander

02-24-2007 04:50:43 | More by bruachan
CreamAle128

Alberta (Canada)

Ok guys...

I aged this bottle for 3 years, and drank it a year ago. I made the mistake of not writing a review right away. I opened it and shared it 50/50 with a buddy of mine at my college grad.

From what I remember, as a Belgian Strong Pale Ale style, The aroma was mind blowing, it had the perfect balance of citrus, fruits, and malt. I don't remember the small details, although I wish I did. Nothing was out of balance, and nothing was off. The mouth feel was heavenly, It was extremely smooth, slightly on the thick side, but it also had the famous Unibroue special edition fluffyness, that the Terrible also posesses. Again, can't say to much about the taste, except that it was more than I would have ever hoped for. It was incredibly refreshing!

In a nutshell, this belgian-style ale, put to shame all the Duvels, chimay's, St. Bernardus Triples, Piraat etc and all other Belgian/Belgian styles. Unibroue got it 100% right with the 10. Perfection for a "lighter" looking beer.

If anyone has any of these bottles lying around, I would be VERY interested in traiding for one.

05-13-2006 09:20:31 | More by CreamAle128
brewdlyhooked13

3.33/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance - slightly hazed yellow/gold color. A watery finger of foam manages a solid cover thanks to a major league bead effort in the glass.

Aroma - grassy, very earthy, a slight funkiness, portends of those sours styled beers. I like the smell more than I used to but it still ain't one of my favorites. Good resilience and intensity beyond the first few moments.

Taste - hey, this ain't too bad! I am sensitive to that funky style, but this is a mellowed funkiness, not sour, and has been sweetened up front with Belgian candi sugar. Alcohol vapors on the swallow, but not as warming as you might expect. As it warms the alcohol becomes more pronounced and a bit direct, but it isn't offensive. This pushes the limit for me with that funky flavor as far as what I classify as enjoyable. This is right on the fringe but I can say that I do like it.

Mouthfeel - champagne quality carbonation. Very gassy and crisp.

Drinkability - unless I knew I was going to be sharing this with someone who enjoyed this style, I wouldn't buy this again, it's just as well that it's a one-off.

04-26-2006 02:11:39 | More by brewdlyhooked13
Beersignal

Quebec (Canada)

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Popped open this four year old sample after a few disappointing swings at Unibroue pitches. I figured I would fall back on what I know to be of reputable Unibroue quality.

Sports a golden apricot hue with a touch of caramel highlights. A healthy bead feeds the delicate ring of lace that was left behind when the white head of meringue like foam receeded somewhat too quickly into the cloudy brew.

The aromas are as delicate as the ring of lace, after four years of aging. Gentle notes of vanilla and madeira develop up front and are framed by hints of pineapple and yeasty spice. An earthy pepperiness surfaces near the end and adds an interesting element to the complex of aromas, making the olfactory experience a good one.

As I expected, the flavours are very well blended and harmonized. It is increasingly difficult as a beer gains in age to be able to easily break it down into its different flavour components. What dominates this sample is a tight blend of tropical fruit, malty sweetness and a stone dry mineral quality ensnared in a gentle alcohol bite. None of the flavours really stand out individually and the whole is not as voluminous as that of a young sample.

I found the aged 10 to be much more pleasant than a fresh sample in the sense that the harmony gained with time rendered it pleasantly drinkable. The complexities develop slowly and subtly which makes this cellared sample a welcome challenge in this age of bold brews.

Santé