Noire De Chambly / Chambly Noire - Unibroue

good

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Dark Ale |  6.20% ABV

Name changed from Chambly Noire to Noire de Chambly in Aug. 2009.

(Beer added by: Beersignal on 09-29-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Noire De Chambly / Chambly Noire Alström Bros

tmars13, Aug 21, 2012
1.6/5  rDev -56.6%

Had a 750 ML brought back from Quebec.

Appearance: Pitch black in colour, poured an out of place fizzy head which did not stick around. Hadn't seen a beer quite like this.

Aroma: Picked up coffee and slight fruit notes, yet I could smell something not quite appealing.

Taste: Not pleasant! I'm very dissappointed because I have a pretty good sense for beer, but I hated this, as did all who tasted. It tasted like burnt prunes. It was just awful.

Mouthfeel: Overly carbonated, I just did not want it in my mouth.

Final Statement: I was disappointed because of the great things i heard from Unibroue. I have had Maudite and enjoyed it. I'm hoping I had a bad bottle, which is common for micros.

MMansfield, Aug 30, 2006
1.83/5  rDev -50.4%

Poured from a large corked bottle into a nonic glass.

A: Pours dark brown, likes almost like diluted molasses in terms of color. Faint ruby hues. One finger of rapidly vanishing, fizzy tan foam, reminiscent of Coca Cola.

S: Sweet malts, earthy hops. It smells sort of like moss, which of kind of neat. Not much else going on.

T: Woah Nelly! Not feeling the love here. Faint malt sweetness on the nose, with a feeble bittering hops finish, and very little going on in between. This beer has very little flavor, and tastes watered down. Actually, if anyone out there on BA has ever made the Continental Dark Ale kit you can buy in most homebrew stores (the one in the blue and yellow box), it tastes an awful lot like that, except with less flavor.

M: Overly thin and briskly carbonated.

D: I hate to say it, but I poured this one down the drain.

Edit: Apparently the name was changed to Noire de Chambly in August of 2009. Since my bottle reads "Chambly Noire," and I had it in July of 2010, this bottle is at least 11 months old, and possibly more. Everyone else on this site seems to like it, so perhaps we can conclude that it does not age well.

Boppar, Jul 31, 2010

I'm guessing this is an older bottle, as it is labeled 'Chambly Noire', not 'Noire de Chambly'.

A - It looks pretty damn good. I can't say many more positive things about the brew other than that. It has a deep near-black hue, with a good bit of fizzy off-white head, and a bit of lace clinging.

S - This beer here, it doesn't smell so good. It smells vaguely unpleasant, kind of like day-old empty beer bottles from a safe distance.

T - The taste is not very good either. It doesn't have any tangible 'off' flavors, or terrible flaws, it is just not good-tasting. The flavor is of cheap dark bad bread, and a little bit of sweet yeasty alcohol.

M - Carbonation level seems fine, but it just has a wimpy feel. Drain pour status.

D - To say I am not a fan of most Unibroue products would be putting it mildly. Even still, the level of my disdain for this brew was surprising.

I drank (part of) another bottle of this swill, btw, just to make sure I wasn't being too harsh. I wasn't.

ktrillionaire, May 03, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -40.4%

Uncaged, uncorked, a poured from the 750ml bottle - got this one for Christmas, with the cork being deposited directed into the cork display.

Far darker than I'd imagined, even for a dark ale. Completely opaque, with a consistent 1/8" of fluffy tan head.

Smelling the cork, and then the beer itself, I get the hint of a sour - a bit yeasty, with hints of darks fruits, tobacco, and a bit of spice. Definitely Belgian though - makes me want pommes frites and vinegar.

The taste though, is lacking. Somewhat thin, a bit acidic, with only hints of dark fruits, it pales in comparison to better Belgians.

Again, thin, though the carbonation is adequate.

As far as drinkability goes, I can say this is the first and the last.

mdcrouser, Jan 16, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -37.7%

This is a pint served in a Chimay goblet at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD. The ale is cold (in this case, that may help).

Appearance: This wheat ale is a nice dark brown to black color that lets little light through. There is little, if any, head.

Smell: The ale has a refreshing wheaty aroma, but there are other alefruits lingering below the surface that are not so pleasant.

Taste: The ale has a medicinal flavor that is very thin and often gives way to watermelon-like flavors. I noticed a deterioration in the beer from the first bottle to the second bottle that I bought (this review is NOT the second bottle) and I hoped that it was isolated to a bad bottle. It is not and this ale just doesn't cut it.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is thin and weak, not a good combo.

Drinkability: A new Unibroue ale is one to check out, but limit yourself to one pint.

akorsak, Jul 08, 2006
2.33/5  rDev -36.9%

Nice bottle art. Large tan head made of tiny, tiny bubbles. Opaque black, with muddy brown edges. Good layer of retention at all times, no lace.

Smells of yeast, old blankets, mild plum and spice.

Sour. Mild watery dark malt with the omnipresent yeast/wheat sour. Thin and bubbly mouthfeel with obnoxious fizzy carbonation. And more yeast sour.

donkeyrunner, Mar 16, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -36.3%

Having enjoyed all Unibroue has to offer, I was sadly unimpressed with Chambly Noire. Simply put, it tasted flat and dull, with no characteristics that I would label as above average -- it was just "eh". Granted, I am no follower of Belgian Darks but have had nothing bad to say about others in its style-category. Having enjoyed Leffe Brune a great deal, I assumed my taste for more amber darks would translate to the literally "noir" appearance of Chambly Noire. Unfortunately I cannot recommend this beer: boring, flat, and lacking in the spice I've come to appreciate from Belgian-style beers.

marinermc, Oct 31, 2007
2.38/5  rDev -35.5%

12 oz. bottle that was named after the brave soldiers of The Carignan-Salières Regiment and their traditional Black Hats. The Carignan-Salières Regiment was one of the first French regular troops in Canada to settle hostilities with the Iroquois and one of the first to wear to wear a uniform in the French army. The small oval label doesn't show any cool battle scene with the Iroquois. Instead the label depicts Lt. General Alexander de Prouville, Sieur de Tracy pointing the way for his Carignan-Salières Regiment to battle the Iroquois. Also in the label, you see some of his soldiers carrying their Muskets over their shoulders and somebody carrying a French Canadian flag (?) directly behind Lt. General Alexander de Prouville, Sieur de Tracy. This is another Unibroue label that doesn't disappoint my eyes. There is a black back label that talks about the picture on the label, picture of the proper glassware, Government warning, address of Unibroue, and a Best Before date that can be clearly seen, which mine is Best Before 02-21-08. No need to decipher anything, just a simple date.

Appearance: When poured into a Snifter it appears that the color of the beer is as black as the Carignan-Salières Regiment hats were, but in reality the beer's color was more of a dark murky brown color with yeast particles. The head of foam made up for the color. The head of foam was beige in color and at least a 2 finger. When it receded it left some beige foamy rings and a bare minimum amount of beige lace around the glass. It's too bad the Carignan-Salières Regiment didn't wear murky brown hats because then it would have match the color of this beer perfectly!

Smell: Let's just say that it smelled a little better than fighting soldiers in the field that haven't had a bath in quite some time. The majority of the aroma was just the yeast. Behind that was some diluted juicy fruits, a hint of spices, and a spatter of hops. There were some times that the juicy fruits smelled good, but that was few and far apart. That's too bad because I thought the aroma would have smelled better than this.

Taste: I was hoping to write this nice detailed paragraph about how wonderful the taste of this beer was going to be, but not this time. It was just as disappointing as the smell. I thought the roasted malt was going to balance nicely with the hops and juicy fruits, but instead the miniature taste of burnt malts blended in with the majority taste, the yeast. Beside that, there wasn't much else in this beer. I could only taste a small amount of bitter hops and a minuscule amount of fruits. I wish there was more, but there isn't. I guess it could have been worse, but by how much?

Mouthfeel: It was extremely light, in fact it was way too light for my taste and there was only a small aftertaste of yeast and bitter hops. To be honest, from a taste like this beer had, I knew the mouthfeel wasn't going to be good and I was right. It was too light with little or no mouthfeel.

Drinkability: It wasn't a drain pour, but let me say that I was happy when it was done. It was not definitely not one of Unibroue's best work. I sure hope not all of these Chambly Noires are like this and my bottle is just a rare bad tasting one. If they are all like this, then I would be mad that brave soldiers like the Carignan-Salières Regiment would be on the label of this beer.

AltBock, Dec 10, 2006
2.4/5  rDev -35%

Reviewed November 4th 2011. 750 mL bottle poured into a Tulip.

A: Poured half a finger head, but it sadly quickly disappeared. There is very little carbonation is rising to the top. The body is as dark as I like them, reminds me of a nice quality stout. I am preparing myself for flavor.

S: I smelt the standard dark fruits, figs. Dark chocolate is present, but nothing too strong which is quite sad.

T: Those dark fruits are what hit me the most. Malts and possibly sugars are present which make up theses drinks sweetness. Some minor dark chocolates appear on the palate for a very quick period of time and then they leave.

M: This body feels close to a medium body, but it could be considered thin. The carbonation was something that just felt lacking to me. The carbonation was almost absent from the mouthful, but after I saw how fast the head left then I could almost assume this is what this drink offers. I would almost suggest swirling the glass to get more carbonation out of this drink before consuming.

O: This drink simply does not do it for me. It's decent for a bit, but consuming a whole 750 mL I have grown tired of it prematurely. I will simply avoid this drink in the future. Even a pint glass is too much of this for me.

TheAlamoWrocker, Nov 05, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -32.8%

Coffee black brew with a thin but steady head and a little bit of lace. There is a light sour wheat smell but it is not inviting. The flavor is a doughy/bready white ale deal. Yeasty, fairly hardy with a sour aftertaste. Dry finish. May be true to style but just not my favorite. An OK change of pace but not very drinkable to me.

Durge, Sep 01, 2007
2.53/5  rDev -31.4%

I bought a 750 of this last summer in Jersey, and, for some reason, tonight feels like the night for it.

The pour into my La Moneuse glass raises a sufficient two finger head that, sadly, fizzles away quickly to half of its initial height. After this, it slowly continues falling until it is little more than a ring of tan foam. Below, the body of the beer is a deep, nearly opaque black, with a brown touch. Lacing is clingy at the beginning to an extent, but seems to lose steam.

The nose is somewhat unique, with a character that I can't fully describe. I know for certain that it has definite notes of caramel, berries, dark fruit, and a bit of toastedness. A touch sour, too. There's definitely more to it, and it's nice. A bit of barnyard shows up as it warms.

The tongue test yields, unfortunately, a thin red wine and berry character, with pronounced acid, and definite chalkiness. It's a little less harsh as it warms, but it doesn't really get any better.

The mouth is on the thinner side of medium, with pretty active, high carbonation. As I call it, the carbonation is simply too high.

Overall, this beer is a disappointment. The beer is labeled as best before 02/08, so I can't blame it for being too old. Oh well.

mjc410, Jun 08, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -30.1%

Confession: not a certified judge -But, a VERY experienced beer drinker and extremely fond of Unibroue.

I won't attempt the fancy-pantsy ASTM stuff. I'll just give you my version of the straight talk express:

Had this 750ml cellered for about 5 mths. Took it to the hot tub with high expectations and found it BORING! Even noting the lower ABV, I expected at least a second cousin to Unibroue's Terrible or Trois Pistoles. This was more like a black lager. If I had wanted and expected a black lager, it would have been fine.

I finished the first glass but ended up dumping the second and pouring a Founder's Red Rye to wake up my taste buds.
I guess I should review that little sweetheart!

FrothHead, Oct 26, 2008

Bleehhh!!

This is by far the least impressive unibroue concoction I have yet tasted. the pour is promising with good dark ruby color and an oddly colored almost gray foamy head. nose is sort of olive like with some yeast. Taste is like copenhagen snuff and green olives. The mouthfeel is way too thin as is customary at unibroue with few exceptions. Drinkability is docked just because of the sheer nastiness of the taste. for me this one is a drainpour.

AKBelgianBeast, Apr 08, 2008
2.6/5  rDev -29.5%

Poured into a Duvel style glass with a thick tan head of fine bubbles. Dark color with brown highlights around the edbes of the glass was very appealing.
The aroma was not distinct, but didn't reveal any sour or disturbing aromas.
The first sip tasted like.... Chloraseptic spray. This flavor vanished after 5 or 6 swallows, but I couldn't determine if it was only because my mouth was numb.

gdogalishus, Sep 18, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -29.5%

Not very impressd this time around from Unibroue.

This dark belgian style ale is very nice when it is poured out of the bottle intio the glass but for me that was about it. It had too much of a metallic taste for me. I did like the dark mahogony color and it settled with a nice foaming head. The taste was not nearly as good as La Fin du Monde or Trois pistoles. I also was not impressed with the ABV. At 6.2% it seems a little too low for a Unibroue bottle fermented belgian style ale. Still love other Unibroue beers but I will have to pass on this one next time.

HellsBELLS24, Jun 03, 2006
2.63/5  rDev -28.7%

Pours a very dark brown almost black color with a thick head that dissolves into a thin lace. Lots of visible carbonation bubbling up in the glass. Arom is very bland with very little of not except subtle dark fruit notes. very sweet and fruity, too carbonated with a very dry finish. i was disappointed.

corby112, Dec 02, 2008
2.65/5  rDev -28.2%

Appearance - A finger of dull head sits on top of a dark brown beer. A slight purplish hue to it. Decent lacing.

Smell - Smells extraordinarily sweet and full of Belgian yeast. It's got that Unibroue trademark yeast smell to it. Strong hints of dark fruits. Overall just very yeasty and bready.

Taste - Very tart fruits are noticeable here. Dark cherry accompanied heavily by Belgian yeast. Quite sweet and slightly sour actually. Funky and tart fruits. Signature Unibroue yeast.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Quite sweet, slightly bitter and full of Belgian yeast. Slightly darker tasting (obviously) than other Unibroue's. Maudite or Trois Pistoles are much preferred over this. A little unpleasant upon first touch of liquid to tongue.

Jesse13713, Mar 17, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -26.8%

In the interest of full disclosure, I haven't ever been much of a Unibroue fan, I find their most ardent followers are sold more on the alcohol strength than the taste.

I poured this from the 750 mL bottle into a tulip glass. It reveals itself as ink black with a thick fluffy head that takes 90 seconds to almost completely dissipate. The first taste is of maltiness,and a bit more carbonation than I had expected.

There are some fruity notes (dates, raisins) and a little almond but not much by way of complexity or that would have you reaching for more. I let it sit and warm up right to room temperature to see if it had anything more to show, but it really is all colour and little flavour.

Matt1516, Dec 17, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -26%

A: Things start well. The beer pours a deep pure brown without a hint of red. The head wells up a light beige but quickly is devoured by the effervescence. Excellent clarity.

S: Just too bad. The fruit esters and dark fruit is just not really there in enough quantity to please me.

T: Same comment as the smell but just a bit bolder. I do get some hop bitterness in the aftertaste which I enjoyed to clear the palate.

M: Good, light-medium body compared to what the flavor should be. The effervescence is somehow just too much on the tongue. I know for this style champagne like carbonation is acceptable but these suds are small and impede my ability to taste the beer.

D: Well, nothing here is offensive in taste, but the flavors and aromas are just underwhelming. I expect more from a Belgian Dark. That said one could easily down this 6.2% ale with ease.

BWH3, Jul 26, 2008
2.73/5  rDev -26%

Pours a dark cola color with hints of red when held to the light with a nice thick pillowy head that is about two fingers thick to start. No lacing is present with this beer. The smell is faint and of sweet malt and dark fruits. Taste wise there is a sweet malt backbone and a hint of dark frutis and grapes. THe mouthfeel is moderately carbonated and a bit stingy. The drinkability is good, there is nothing to make you dislike this beer, but i wanted a little more in the taste department.

goblue3509, Jan 02, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -26%

Dark brown in appearance, with an off white head that quickly faded with little to no lacing. Smell was that of smoke , chocolate, and roasted nuts. Taste left a little metallic thing going on with ssweet chocolate malts and a smoked peet on the finish. Highly carbonated,more than I prefer. Definitely a drinkable beer paired with a caramel or chocolatey dessert. For this style it's pretty run of the mill , nothing special.

ohoove, Sep 22, 2007