Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Trois Pistoles - Unibroue

Trois PistolesTrois Pistoles

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-31-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trois Pistoles Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,949 | Hads: 4,663

I bought this originally as a build your own sixer.

I drink this when I want a St. Bernie's Quad, but I don't want it to be as sweet.

Which is 98% of the time.

Amazing beer, worth the price, All That.

If you have the means- I highly reccomend it.

Purchased a 12 oz bottle at GrapeVine Market in Austin, TX. As a dark Belgian fanatic, this is easily my favorite beer. I won't bore w/ details, since that's already been done many times over. All I'll say is it has an incredibly complex flavor profile, it's very smooth, and can be enjoyed again & again w/o getting boring.

Poured into pint glass. Rich darkish color beer. This beer and small to medium head and tasted like malts, chocolate and carmel. Very smooth beer going down. Was intrigued by the bottle at first thinking it might be wine, but an excellent dinner beer

The more I drink it its hard to accept anything else. Maybe cause its
winter and its perfect smooth dark and bubbly taste is what we need on a cold day. I like all of the Unibroue beers and I think they are among the best I've ever tasted, and I spent some time across the pond!

Poured into a glass & it didn't last long, poured another & proceeded to get shit faced. I don't remember much after that. This beer is by far one of my all time favorite beers, Unibroue make some of the best Belgian style ales on the market, this brew included.

A: Pours a dark brown cloudy color comparable to a cola. Head is about a finger-width thick and a creamy beige color.

S: Smells lovely of dried fruits such as raisins, apples, and spices along with some roasted malts.

T: Very fruity taste, upfront apples and raisins, followed by some roasted malts again and a hint of molasses. Alcohol is pretty well balanced.

M: Mouth feel is very smooth, pretty light body with some slight fizzy carbonation but not overpowering.

O: Overall this beer is quite enjoyable to drink. Love the variety of subtle flavors keeps me interested and wanting to try more. For a Strong Belgian Dark Ale this one is very easy and nice to drink.

Appearance: This beer was purchased in the winter of 2009 and consumed in the summer of 2012. Poured from a 355 mL bottle with an expiration date of 02/10/12 into a chalice. Pours a dull fig color of brown. There is a fingers worth of creamy, evenly dispersed tan head. A very enticing appearance leaves one eager to explore its matte brown exterior further.

Smell: The smell is the essence of Christmas on a farm. It has a beautiful combination of liquored sweet fruit, molasses, a fresh essence of farm (grassy and floral), and a hint of spicy dark chocolate fondue.

Taste: Chewy, medicinal, very alcoholic tiramisu brownie dipped in spiced chocolate fondue. Firstly, an alcoholic soaked cherry flavor lays foundations for the onslaught of spiced chocolate. Grassy hops are balanced perfectly against the chocolate, which eventually subsides to leave an ethereal spiced, alcoholic cherry flavor that sticks around for the long haul.

Mouthfeel: Dry, a bit chewy but smooth. The alcohol, while present as an essential part of any beer seems too much a part of this beer’s flavour to actually be measured as an entity outside of the taste itself.

Drinkability: This beer not only puts a smile on your face, it enlightens you and warms your heart. This beer makes me yearn for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, snow falling outside, and endless bottles being shared by the crackling fire. Perhaps this is where it was conceived or the first test batch enjoyed. For some, chicken soup, mac n cheese, and ice cream are comfort foods; this beer is my comfort food.

June 13, 2012
Vero Beach, Fl

I received two bombers of this beer in an alcohol exchange at Christmas. Poured a dark brown color in the glass with two finger head. Very spicy aroma with a hint of alcohol at the end. At the first sip the high carbonation is noticeable but not unpleasant. The taste is phenomenal. Very full flavored without being overpowering. Spicy hops with smooth malt finish. No alcohol aftertaste despite 9% ABV. Excellent beer all around.

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

Fruity/yeasty nose with a hint of sweetness. Dark cloudy black cherry color. Lots of little bubbles from bottle conditioning. Fruity original taste with a smooth spicey finish. Very well crafted, with a finish that leaves your tongue ready for more sparkle and a little alcohol warmth. The original feel is one of action and the finish is smooth and balanced. There ia alot going on here, but that is what is so impressive. There is a very fine light lace on the glass. Curl up with a bottle and enjoy the complexity. This vintage was listed best before: 5/8/04. Tasted in chimay goblet.

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

Presently my favorite beer made by Unibroue. (warning, you may become quite fickle and fall in love "with the one you're with" when you taste Unibroue's products for the first time. Trois Pistoles has the wonderful taste and drinkability of Irresistible Brune (sadly no longer made) with a slightly more mild aroma and kick of La Terrible. If you're still upset about the Irresistible, try their Chambly Noire. You'll get over the loss!

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

Appearance: Black, with a few mahogany notes and decent visibility for a dark beer. 1/2 inch head that settles into sticky thick lacing and nice suds cover. Characteristic Unibroue viscosity - low/medium.

Aroma: Raisins, plums, molasses, and some nice cantaloupe undertones. Some boozy wisps, sourdough breadiness and yeasty notes makes this an amazingly complex and impressive nose.

Taste: Creamy malt front palate, with raisins and apricots - almost a bread pudding hint to it. Toffee malt and yeast finish. An amazing set of developments in this one - molasses, dried plums, strawberries, brown sugar, a little booze and a good yeasty finish. Wow. One of the best balanced and developed beers I've ever had.

Mouthfeel: Lighter than might seem appropriate for such a complex strong beer. Booze is well masked, and the maltiness of the beer keeps it drinkable while the fruity notes add a cleansing quality. Exceptional.

Drinkability: Eminently drinkable beer that stacks up well against other beers in the style - this really should be the jewel in Unibroue's crown. Exceptional. I can't say enough good things about this beer, so I'll stop.

4.96/5  rDev +18.1%

I picked this up after really really enjoying this brewery's Fin Du Monde which for whatever reason I'd never had. I guess I a sublimated association envisioning Canadian breweries with cheapo Carling Black Label that I guzzled in college. This stuff blew me away. Fan-freaking-tastic. Delicious, spicy, and complex enough that every sip brings a different sensation. I need to try all of this breweries beers they're two for two so far. Absolutely brilliant.

4.96/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured out of a bottle. Had a date on it - didn't care to look. This poured a deep dark caramely brown color. Little head and little lacing. The smell was a very pronounced fruity aroma - very strong. Smelled like raisins. The taste was great - the caramel and dark fruits seem to work well together on the palate - this is even better than Fin Du Monde. This is a smooth well balanced beer. A very strong Belgian Dark. Great stuff

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Bottle chilled at 4C.
Poured into a Duvel Tulip glass.

Gorgeous deep dark brown color with slightly off white head. Fine bubbles, not super velvety though.

Great smell, slight Belgian yeast, almost like Cola.

The taste is sweetness and very fine carbonation up front, followed by Belgian sweet yeast and comforting warming from the alcohol.
Quite impressive really.

Slight bitterness on the tail end, with figs and bready notes.
Not overly malty but very rich.
The warming lingers with a nice aftertaste. Such a fine beer, complex and refined. Excellent!

I've waited almost a year for this, absolutely fantastic!

4.94/5  rDev +17.6%

I really like this beer. This one is very dark with almost no translucence. The head is a solid two fingers and is a devilish deep red color.

This brew is extremely good. I gave up soda years ago but this beer reminds of a coca cola.

Overall very happy with this one. Definitely worth saving a spot in the fridge for a bottle..or two.

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

I’ve been drinking this one for so long I had just assumed I posted a review up at some point. So this is going to be short and to the point, but really what more do you need to know other than: it’s fantastic. Delicious. Drink it. For the price, the accessibility, and above all the quality this can’t be beat.

Pours a thick, dark ruby-burgundy with light foam. Wonderful bouquet with stone fruits dominating. The flavor shares an equal profile, with some plum and fig as well as a date-like sweetness standing out. What I find remarkable is how smooth (and smoothly sweet) this is. I mean, almost velvety. While not unusual I forget. (Belgian Strong Ale is not as clearly defined a category in my mind as say a dubble or triple and the wide variation is part of the reason.) This one won over some new converts recently and I can’t wait to share some more soon.

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

One of my go too beers from the Beer Store, and enjoy being able to get six packs of Trois Pistoles, Maudite and Fin Du Monde from my Beer Store! Pours dark orange brown color, big thick clingy head, sweet fruity. Bready aroma, full bodied, alcohol hidden very well. Smooth and velvety and overall this is a great Belgian strong ale, very drinkable. Awesome brew and a great Canadian product.

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Pours a deep dense crimson that looks black unless held to light. In daylight shows more as a crimson brown. Substantial head that dissipates slowly, leaving a quarter inch cap.

Raisins and figs almost overwhelm the malt, just a great smelling brew.

Taste is complex, fruity, smooth, delicious; with a finish like a fine dessert wine.

Smooth and creamy in the mouth, not a lot of carbonation.

Frighteningly drinkable for the alcohol content.

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a Unibroue goblet.

Deep mahogany color, a solid inch of pale tan head which slowly collapsed.

Smells absolutely fantastic, dark sweet fruit with noticeable maltiness.

Quite sweet, plum and other fruit all over the place, alcohol is nice and warming, but not overbearing for a 9% beer. Mild bitterness, finishes estery and tasting like port.

Smooth, almost creamy, full of carbonation with keeps it from feeling heavy as it slides through the mouth effortlessly.

Absolutely delicious, and perhaps my favorite beer ever. I'd drink it all the time if I could, but it's strong and a little on the expensive side.

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Appearance: A two inch tan head that dissipates surprisingly quickly in my DFH snifter. There is a tiny bit of lacing, but nothign truly remarkable. This beer initially looks black, but on further examination is a nice dark mahogany. Overall this beer is a looker.

Smell: This first sniff gave me this wonderful bready yeasty smell with some wonderful sweet malt aroma backing it. There is definitely a fruit smell to this beer that goes great with the malt. There is definitely some clove in there and somehow it just smells crisp. I can even smell some wonderful caramel to it.
I also poured it in my signature DFH glass and holy shit there is a toffee a plenty. Totally different aroma going on here and the dark fruity I was getting earlier suddenly became rather tropical.

Taste: Definitely some strong spicy flavor in this beer, like black pepper. There are also dark fruit flavors swimming around in this beer like raisin, apple, and grape. Maybe even a hint of plums. There is a wonderful bready finish to this beer that I have never anything similar to. There is of course the sweet malt backbone to all of this just insane beauty. There is even molasses flavor in this beer. I am this beer has everything I could want from flavor and has showed a couple new flavors I was not expecting.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is a little bit to high for me, but wow this beer is light and refreshing.Even though this beer feels so god damn light, due not get the impression that it is thin. This has a nice medium to full body. It finishes a little dry, but just slightly like a some of my favorite wines.

Drinkability: Because of how light this beer is, but yet so complex in taste and aroma I can drink this all day. I mean WOW I am in love with this beer. Also, even though I can feel the 9% alcohol there is no way I could tell from drinking this beer. I mean this beer is DEADLY. Deadly delicious that is.

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

The aroma is so intoxicating you nearly needn't drink.

The forest, all elaborate in your boar-skin loin-cloth, collecting dark ripe rotten fruits, from tree to vine to tree in an orchard wild: plum, tobacco, melon you meet a shaman who feeds you far out herbs around the campfire.

A value beer.

4.91/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Brilliant dfark chestnut under a 2” light tan foam ccollar with a very fine bead.
S: Some dark sugars, ripe to over ripe fruit,
T: An initial sweetness with dark malts and sugars, traces of banana and fruit cake, ripe fruit, plum, raisin and citrus. Dry, spicy grain flavors especially on the finish punctuated by a dose of tartness.
F: Very creamy Belgian bottle conditioned carbonation gives the beer a very soft texture. A big beer but surprisingly light on its feet – not heavy or cloying.
O: A well composed and well balanced yeast driven Belgian style dark ale with big flavors.

4.91/5  rDev +16.9%

It's a beauty, eh. A Canadian beer with a great, complex flavor without being too heavy. We split a big bottle between four of us. One guy noted a citrus flavor, I thought of walnuts. There's alot going on here. 9% abv, but you wouldn't know it, because the of the wonderful flavors, the high alcohol content is hardly noticable. It is highly recommended.

4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle.

Poured a cloudy, dark, amber brown with a huge light beige head that left fair lacing.

Aromas of perfume, fruit, malt, and yeast. Smelled absolutely heavenly. The nose pulls you in. My fiancee smell the glass and wouldn't hand it back.

The taste is just as good if not better than the smell. Fruit, yeast, malt, and candy. Incredibly smooth and creamy, very little to no carbonation and a little light on the mouth. Goes down way to smooth and to fast. This is the best of the Unibroue line IMHO.

To quote my fiancee, "This is the best beer I've even had." I don't know if its the best but definately in the top 10.

4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

I'll try not to be too giddy over this beer, but damn it's so good.
The first time I tried it was an accidental pairing with a cajun bleu cheese burger in Coralville, IA, and I've been hooked ever since.

I'm not sure there is a better beer at hiding the ample alcohol content found in Trois.
From start to finish it's impossible to find a flaw in this beer's characteristics. Distinct notes of plum and a satisfying body allow this beer to be drank with multiple foods, but I'll always remember my first time as the best.

Trois Pistoles from Unibroue