2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Trois Pistoles - Unibroue

Trois PistolesTrois Pistoles

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-31-2000)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trois Pistoles Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,853 | Reviews: 1,860 | Show All Ratings:
TheOtherMike

1.63/5  rDev -61.5%

This one found itself in the sink quite soon.

Appearance - It poured with alomst no head. Fairly dark with moderate clarity - similar to Rock & Rye Cola.

Smell - Yup, it smells. Like what, I don't know. Not like beer tho.

Taste - Alot like the smell, it just ain't right. It's really too bizarre for me to describe accurately.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel was pretty good. Even tho the head was essentially nil, the carbonation was very active which was noticeable in the mouth.

Drinkability - This was in the sink none too soon.

You've been warned. ;)

06-13-2004 02:33:02 | More by TheOtherMike
BobThomas

Connecticut

1.8/5  rDev -57.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle pours dark almost reddish brown. Pretty highly carbonated.

Smells, fruity, but overwhelmingly like chewable vitamins.

The initial taste on the front of the palate starts off like a good belgian style ale, but as it goes to the middle and back of the palate, the chewable vitamin flavor is again overwhelming. What is that?

Feels fairly heavy although bubbly in mouth. Finishes with a dry with a chalky vitamin flavor. A most perplexing beer, but I had trouble finishing my glass, and would not seek to try again. I keep thinking my bottle went bad, but i really don't think that's the case.

01-05-2007 05:29:34 | More by BobThomas
rickyleepotts

Arizona

It’s black… which immediately makes me think this is going to be a stout, or something similar. But the nose is more that of an ale. This is a Belgian strong ale, after all. (I still haven’t figured the difference between a regular ale and strong ale.) I do like that a lot of the beers we are drinking have a Belgian influence. Perhaps when we finish this project, we will take a trip to Belgium.

The beer isn’t very carbonated. It is actually quite smooth. There is an instant rush of sweetness, and a smooth dark aftertaste. But the aftertaste doesn’t stick around for long. It feels heavy on the tongue though. I am sure that is the 9% ABV. The head on this beer is pretty weak too. But after one drink… I find myself wanting a second almost immediately. The aftertaste leaves so quickly I want to see what else there is for my palate.

I worry that if this beer was easily accessible, it would get me in a lot of trouble. It doesn’t drink like a 9%. It’s so smooth. I like that though, as it allows me to drink a lot casually. That’s what this is… a casual beer. Imagine toasting with this at any given graduation, wedding, or funeral. (People drink at funerals, right?)

I like it… but I am not in love with it. It’s good, I would buy it again, but the most important part about this beer is the story. I mean, who wouldn’t be intrigued to drink a beer that was produced with a story about a devilish black steed? Just look at the bottle… creeps me out!

Bottoms up people!

06-06-2011 02:21:20 | More by rickyleepotts
whendeathsleeps

Indiana

2.03/5  rDev -52%

A- Pours a dark cola brown, two finger tan head.

S- I pick up on some kind of vegetable presence (sort of reminds me of V8), plum, bready.

T- More almost vegetable flavor. Not digging this one at all...it just tastes like it smells.

M- Watery, low carbonation.

O- Definitely not my thing. Drainpour all the way, and I hate pouring out beer.

11-04-2012 01:13:48 | More by whendeathsleeps
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

2.1/5  rDev -50.4%

Very poor, thin, cloying, slightly sweet, and just nothing happening at all, i'm sorry if everyone else liked it, but i didn't, did nothing for me.

04-03-2002 23:55:37 | More by rastaman
RepMichigan

2.2/5  rDev -48%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Was at a buddys house so used the only glass that was available, a pint glass. Poured out of a 750ml bottle.

A: looks great, just like a dark belgian ale should. Dark brown with a bit of a misty look

Smell: smelled like figs and some earthy aromas

Taste: upon the first sip I almost recoiled, the taste was very similar to tomato puree. Very vegtabley, not what I expected at all. Almost undrinkable, if I believed in drainpouring I would have done so

Mouthfeel: slimy and offputting

Overall: I do not know if there was something wrong with my bottle or if this is just what it tastes like. I may have to buy another bottle to try and give this beer a chance, but this was by no means a good expierence for myself

11-24-2011 02:09:32 | More by RepMichigan
tcfishler

Maryland

2.23/5  rDev -47.3%

Starts foaming out of the bottle as soon as it's opened. Pours a very dark, nearly opaque brown with a large, long-lasting, sudsy tan head.

Deep, expressive nose of mixed ripe and dried fruits, with some sweet malt, a whiff of nutmeg, and even some oxidative notes.

Carbonation level is high, giving the body fullness but also making it lively on the tongue. Acetic acid also is there. Flavor profile is a bit exotic, with grapy/berry fruitiness, spice, and molasses. Thins out on the smooth and moderately brief finish.

Impressive in its own way, but the oxidative style and vinegar flavors just don't appeal to me.

11-28-2006 19:28:35 | More by tcfishler
gonzogrover

2.25/5  rDev -46.8%

Poured into a tulip. Pours a pretty dark and bold brown with a white head that disappears in a hurry. The scent is strong of fruits and spices. It also gives you the hint that it'll have a strong alcohol flavor. The taste is of strong spiciness, alcohol and some fruity sweetness. A combination that was hot, boozy and just didn't work at all for me. The mouthfeel was medium with more carbonation than I expect from this style. I typically really enjoy BSDAs and Quads but this is not one that I would recommend to my friends.

05-11-2011 06:22:09 | More by gonzogrover
harrymel

Washington

2.25/5  rDev -46.8%

Best by: 10/11/2013

A: pours a hazy dark brown with a single finger of loose peanut foam which dissipates nearly immediately to a broken and struggling to retain it's presence. Little lacing.

S: smells like latex paint. There are some hints of coriander and dark, sweet malts. Overall, the yeast dominates as it does in the majority of Unibroue beers.

T: Man, I've tried the lineup of Unibroue beers many times. I keep hoping I will 'get it'. The beer is sweet, yeasty, chemical, just plain difficult to drink for me.

M: Medium body with high carbonation. Dry finish.

O: Sorry guys, I just can't get on board with this one.

05-26-2011 15:25:56 | More by harrymel
imagoodboy1769

New Hampshire

2.28/5  rDev -46.1%

Like most ppl, picked this up on a corked bottle.

A-great appearance, nice and dark. Head was nice and full on initial pour, but dissipated in about 5 mins, little lacing.

S-the smell was quite stronge. Very fruity with esters of cloves, cinnamon, and anise. If I didn't know better (and I might not), I think they use a heffiwizen yeast for this.

T-tastes just like it smells. Unfortunately, I do not like the way this tastes. I couldn't even come close to finishing it. The hops and even the malt seemed to be overpowered by the spice and fruit tastes. I cringed each sip.

Mouthfeel-great mouthfeel though. Smooth, full bodied. A little lighter than I was expecting for a whopping 9%, but the best part of this beer.

Overall, I hated it. And at $8 a bottle, I hated it even more. It might be great for some, but it is by far one of my least favorite beers. If I were at a party and there were only two beers (trois pistoles and PBR), I'd take the PBR.

01-21-2012 22:35:08 | More by imagoodboy1769
NJpadreFan

2.33/5  rDev -44.9%

Trois Pistoles is the 2nd beer from Unibroue I've tried.
Comes in a cool bottle!!

3 pistols pours a caramel/amber with a nice thick creamy tan head. The head lingers a long time!

The smell is very fruity; grapes mostly. My nose didn't pick up much more than that.
Tasting the beer I noticed a fruit flavor (grapes) but there was a metallic and alcohol taste very much present! 3 Pistols seemed a little too carbonated almost like champagne.

The aftertaste was unplesant. very sweet and medicinal.
Overall, I don't think I'll be able to finish the bottle. Just not my cup of beer.

12-08-2003 22:31:04 | More by NJpadreFan
stcules

Italy

2.35/5  rDev -44.4%

Mahogany colour, with winy reflexes.
Foam with a very short duration.
Smell totally fruit: cherry, orange, strawberry.
It is a warm and doughy beer.
In the taste the fruity character is less evident. Maybe it is too strong and sharp.
A hint of hop in the aftertaste, quite persistent.
Medium body, malty.
Interesting but a little too dry, and with a little drinkability.
The alcool is a little too evident.

07-11-2003 17:34:19 | More by stcules
dwarvenspirits

2.42/5  rDev -42.8%

I tasted a 2004 bottle of this, aged for two years. I'm not sure if it was past its prime or not. The pour was very nice, a beautiful copper hue color with a nice thick head. It is high in carbonation with helps with head retention and also has a good lace to it.

There is some belgian candi flavor taste which presents itself as sweet but also has some kind of spiciness to it, like pepper corns. It's extremely dry and there is a prominent taste of alcohol. Even after two years the alcohol was both there in the nose and in the taste.

Upon first tasting it went like this: Sweet -> dry ->sweet -> dry.

It's a nice sipping beer which can possibly be paired with a dessert. It almost tastes like a scotch, too.

Taste with a few other people just in case it's not one for you.

09-05-2006 20:49:39 | More by dwarvenspirits
Arbitrator

2.42/5  rDev -42.8%

Chilled 750mL poured into a glass (two doses).

A: Pours a very dark, translucent brown with garnet translucence against the light. The head settles quickly and resolves into a ring. No lacing to speak of.

S: The signature Unibroue smell: yeast, dark fruits (raisins, figs, plums), a dash of caramel, and a strong burst of coriander.

T: The dark fruits come through first as a hefty mix of raisins, plums, and figs. There is some caramel and a light cherry cola flavor (including cinnamon) in the mid-taste. It's spicy, but not overly so; there is a murky coriander element that doesn't quite resolve into anything sharp. The finish is kind of watery. They refer to this beer as "mellow" on the label, but I think it's kind of weak, really.

M: Medium-bodied, with prickly carbonation. It's thin and airy on the palate, which is ok for most styles, but not for a BSDA, in my opinion. The ABV is well-disguised, though there is a light burn on the finishing end of this 1-year-old bottle.

D: I used to regard this one as the best Unibroue beer, but after having had it a few more times over the course of my palate evolution, I think it was more nostalgia than anything. This was one of my first gateway beers into the craft world, and sadly, it's not able to be much more than that. It's been relegated to my standard of an "average" BSDA.

12-13-2009 06:46:12 | More by Arbitrator
Jmoore50

Nevada

2.55/5  rDev -39.7%

The appearance is of a dark plumb. It has a dark brown heart with purple brown edges. The head is tan colored with huge fat bubbles that represent strong carbonation. This is the macro of Belgian ales.

The smell is of figs and clove with a melting pot of spices that I cannot really point out.

The taste has a strong Belgian yeast character to it that brings lots of spice and a bit of dryness. I think the clove in this is the specific spice that I cannot stand, plus there really is no strong flavor. This is Belgian Strong Dark Ale Light. This has some of the flavors of the style, but they need to be amplified by ten. Too watered down.

The mouthfeel is over carbonated for the style and a bit dry on the finish. The yeasts bring a positive aspect to the mouthfeel by bringing a type of spice complexity, but in the end it is muddled. The direction of this beer is unknown. It needs more body, more flavor and most of all, more balls. This is a safe, easy representation of a beautiful style. I would not age this beer. This is the Coors Light of Belgian Dark Ales.

J

02-12-2010 04:35:56 | More by Jmoore50
Enola

2.65/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This beer poured into my Chimay chalice a deep mahogony color. There is a thin head. There is also lots of yeast that has settled to the bottom of the glass. The smell is sweet and a bit like plums. The taste is very powerfull and fruity. The mouthfeel is overpowering at first and then calms down into a lasting aftertaste similar to apricot brandy. The drinkability would be better if not for the overpowering abv. I probably will not have this beer again.

05-04-2006 00:42:13 | More by Enola
SirDrinxAlot

2.75/5  rDev -35%

Poured a very dark ruby brown with 1.5 finger head that dissipated quickly and left minimal lacing.

Smell was fruit, chocolate, fig, spice, and malt

Taste was malty and fruity with some light spice and malt. Sweet flavor in the finish.

Mouthfeel is thick with a strange carbonation. Almost like a sparkling wine fizz. Fairly smooth. Low drinkability.

This beer is described as an after dinner beer that pairs well with chocolate. Much too sweet for my taste and the carbonation was off to me. Wouldn't seek this out again.
Sampler best before 9/3/11

05-20-2009 02:46:01 | More by SirDrinxAlot
Tearik

Alabama

2.75/5  rDev -35%

This beer was a disappointment to me for a variety of reasons. I really love the Unibroue brewery and every other beer I've had from them thus far, so its safe to say I was pumped up to try Trois Pistoles when it found its way into our beer store.

It poured great, a dark red/brown color and headed up wonderfully.

The smell was very sweet and extremely fruity.

However, once I tasted it my excitement ended. In my opinion this tastes like an overspiced christmas ale. The spices absolutely cover the taste of the beer. One of the few beers I've been unable to finish.

It was very thick in the mouth and in combination with the taste, was very un-enjoyable.

Overall, I'm sure this beer will have a following, but I am afraid that I will not be counted in it.

Serving Type: Bottle

12-10-2011 21:20:48 | More by Tearik
NWer

Washington

2.75/5  rDev -35%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

C041021540 stamped on neck
Best Before 03-04-13 stamped on label
Loud pop from the cork easy removal.
Very foamy pour dissipates very quickly.
Plum. lots of plum. Nothing else. Some residual effervescence.
Very disappointing.
Mouthfeel & aftertaste nothing to write home about.
What am I missing? This is a highly rated beer and I find nothing of value to warrant a redo.
Not a drainpour though. It would have to be pretty awful to do that.

07-24-2012 22:21:02 | More by NWer
ibbjamin

2.78/5  rDev -34.3%

Paid $7.49 for a 750ml bottle from BevMo in San Jose, CA. Poured into a goblet. There appears to be a date above the bar code on the back of the bottle; 01-15-11.

Pours moderately thick, leaving about a 3/4 inch creme colored fizzy head consisting of rather large sized bubbles after a standard pour. Very dark brown in color, it has dark ruby shades when held to a light. Much carbonation visually present. Some head retention and lacing.

Fruity nose of grapes mainly, along with some raisins. There is a yeast and sweet malt backing to balance things out. A bit too much on the sweet side for my liking.

The taste is also quite sweet as predicted by the nose. Dark fruits a la raisin, fig and grape varietal.

The mouth is somewhat overpowering. Quite crisp, watery and overcarbonated. The aftertaste is of grapes. Lacks the silky smooth characteristic I look for in a Belgian Dark.

01-29-2009 03:03:42 | More by ibbjamin
smakawhat

Maryland

2.78/5  rDev -34.3%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Bottled dated best before date of 09-08-13 (9th Aug 2013? or is that 2009-Aug-13th??). If it's the latter, then this review might explain what happened.

Out of the bottle a stupid amount of carbonated noise. Head is a light tan but goes fast. The brew doesn't even leave a collar (there is one in my bottle though). Body is a real nice dark cherry it almost resembels wine, but that's because there is NO head on this or even a collar at all. Not that impressed here, looks like dead on arrival. But hey... best before 2013 so no excuses guys, so review is onward. Final pour on slow brings the collar finally!

Nose is small, box grape sweet Welches juice and powedered dry yeast. Doesn't seem too bad, after some smells and whiffs it's actually kind of nice, I feel like I am in wine mode here. I'll go with this yeah sure.

First taste... is gaseously awful and off putting. But strangely, another sip and it comes out much improved and that burn is never felt again. Sweet mild chocolate and that cheap Welches Concord like grape taste again. Mouthfeel has some coating quality and minor chewy-ness. Pricklyness and gas subsides and goes to an almost tannic dry mouth in the front. have to admit after some time this gets ALOT better...

What the heck is it with Unibroue and these beers sometimes? They seem either really great or incredibly.. bad isn't the word.. it's more as if they are dysfunctional. This one... hard to put into words, but I know I wont be having it again (except maybe on tap if I don't have a choice). Still... doesn't stop me from trying their goods!

04-12-2011 22:53:56 | More by smakawhat
CaptainIPA

Wisconsin

2.83/5  rDev -33.1%

Pours a dark cola color with scarlet highlights and a two-finger beige head that quickly fades to a rimming of foam. Lacing that sticks. Aroma is truly rank in that it smells like stale vomit.

Taste starts out on a bad note, specifically a metallic one. After that unpleasant introduction, flavors of dark fruit, raisins and plum begin to meld with caramel malts and bittering hops. Alcohol emerges with a decidedly bourbon-based character. Middle moves into suggestions of candied fruit and prunes. Finishes bitter and coarse with a scratch of husky grain.

Rich and full bodied with moderate carbonation.

Complex enough character once the ale eventually warmed, but too many strikes against it to fully embrace this offering.

12-11-2010 05:23:12 | More by CaptainIPA
theBubba

2.85/5  rDev -32.6%

Before we start, this C review is, of course, relative to this category (we're not talking Coors here).
Poured from a 750 ML into a bell glass.
Appearance--a cloudy deep amber with a tall head that quickly sunk to nothing. Moderate lace.
Smell--soy and vegetable, with a touch of prune.
Mouthfeel-- nice, an initial carbonate bite followed by a foamy smoothness.
Taste-- soy sauce, with a bit of toasted malt and a salty aftertaste.
At the price, I'd leave this one alone. There's better stuff from Omegang.
As I finish this review, I'm finishing my 3 Pistols, and I feel like I've just finished a bowl of Sukiaki. and beware of reviews with jargon like:
"taste is deep dark fruit, raisins, plums, figs, grapes, apple, cherry, candi sugar?, molasses, pepper/spice."
I mean, give me a friggin' break. Pick 5 out of 11, and maybe we'll have a clue.

12-30-2008 02:57:23 | More by theBubba
jdklks

Nevada

2.88/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

not impressed. the beer pours dark brown, almost black, with a white head. smells of all different sorts of sweetness, but mostly black licorice. the taste is of malt, licorice, and the beligian yeast that haunts me so. ill admit that it is fairly complex, but this is not in a good way. it is overly carbonated, and has little drinkability.

01-28-2009 07:07:06 | More by jdklks
Clockwork420

Missouri

2.9/5  rDev -31.4%

Got this one today for $6.99.

Bought it for a try at another ale, But a stronger one at that.
Poured it into a glass, a small amount also I might add.

The Appearance is a medium dark brown, Reddish hues and a cloudy sort of appearance. 1 fingers worth of head, hello and goodbye. Light lacing.

Looked like sody pop. Smelled like flowery and fruity sweetness. And did not hide the alcohol content at all. This is not a bad thing though.

Taste was strong and lasting. Had a burning taste from the high alcohol content. Didnt feel this was a great thing but somthing different every once in a while is good. Taste like the smell. After a few glasses, I soon felt why it was such a good brew. I now really liked this one, but for the price I pass.

Mouthfeel was Vaporous. If thats a word.
It was thinner than others. Not thick but and chewy at all. Sleek but harsh.

Drinkability was okay.
I would save it and put it in the celler if possible. That could do wonders for this one. I dont favor this but it was good in a sense.

Strong.

I probably will buy this again. Next time I will drink colder I think.
Had to go out and buy a cork for this one. HA HA HA.
Drank Ice cold, but as it gets warmer its better.

06-02-2007 03:56:08 | More by Clockwork420