Trois Pistoles - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-31-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trois Pistoles Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -64.5%

1.63/5  rDev -61.5%

This one found itself in the sink quite soon.

Appearance - It poured with alomst no head. Fairly dark with moderate clarity - similar to Rock & Rye Cola.

Smell - Yup, it smells. Like what, I don't know. Not like beer tho.

Taste - Alot like the smell, it just ain't right. It's really too bizarre for me to describe accurately.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel was pretty good. Even tho the head was essentially nil, the carbonation was very active which was noticeable in the mouth.

Drinkability - This was in the sink none too soon.

You've been warned. ;)

1.8/5  rDev -57.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle pours dark almost reddish brown. Pretty highly carbonated.

Smells, fruity, but overwhelmingly like chewable vitamins.

The initial taste on the front of the palate starts off like a good belgian style ale, but as it goes to the middle and back of the palate, the chewable vitamin flavor is again overwhelming. What is that?

Feels fairly heavy although bubbly in mouth. Finishes with a dry with a chalky vitamin flavor. A most perplexing beer, but I had trouble finishing my glass, and would not seek to try again. I keep thinking my bottle went bad, but i really don't think that's the case.

1.99/5  rDev -53%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

The reputation brought this beer to my home. I found it to be repugnant. Very little carbonation, boozy, wine like finish. It tasted like old cellar stored raisin wine. Maybe because I am in Hawaii but I found it to be putrid.

It’s black… which immediately makes me think this is going to be a stout, or something similar. But the nose is more that of an ale. This is a Belgian strong ale, after all. (I still haven’t figured the difference between a regular ale and strong ale.) I do like that a lot of the beers we are drinking have a Belgian influence. Perhaps when we finish this project, we will take a trip to Belgium.

The beer isn’t very carbonated. It is actually quite smooth. There is an instant rush of sweetness, and a smooth dark aftertaste. But the aftertaste doesn’t stick around for long. It feels heavy on the tongue though. I am sure that is the 9% ABV. The head on this beer is pretty weak too. But after one drink… I find myself wanting a second almost immediately. The aftertaste leaves so quickly I want to see what else there is for my palate.

I worry that if this beer was easily accessible, it would get me in a lot of trouble. It doesn’t drink like a 9%. It’s so smooth. I like that though, as it allows me to drink a lot casually. That’s what this is… a casual beer. Imagine toasting with this at any given graduation, wedding, or funeral. (People drink at funerals, right?)

I like it… but I am not in love with it. It’s good, I would buy it again, but the most important part about this beer is the story. I mean, who wouldn’t be intrigued to drink a beer that was produced with a story about a devilish black steed? Just look at the bottle… creeps me out!

Bottoms up people!

2.03/5  rDev -52%

A- Pours a dark cola brown, two finger tan head.

S- I pick up on some kind of vegetable presence (sort of reminds me of V8), plum, bready.

T- More almost vegetable flavor. Not digging this one at all...it just tastes like it smells.

M- Watery, low carbonation.

O- Definitely not my thing. Drainpour all the way, and I hate pouring out beer.

2.1/5  rDev -50.4%

Very poor, thin, cloying, slightly sweet, and just nothing happening at all, i'm sorry if everyone else liked it, but i didn't, did nothing for me.

2.2/5  rDev -48%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Was at a buddys house so used the only glass that was available, a pint glass. Poured out of a 750ml bottle.

A: looks great, just like a dark belgian ale should. Dark brown with a bit of a misty look

Smell: smelled like figs and some earthy aromas

Taste: upon the first sip I almost recoiled, the taste was very similar to tomato puree. Very vegtabley, not what I expected at all. Almost undrinkable, if I believed in drainpouring I would have done so

Mouthfeel: slimy and offputting

Overall: I do not know if there was something wrong with my bottle or if this is just what it tastes like. I may have to buy another bottle to try and give this beer a chance, but this was by no means a good expierence for myself

2.23/5  rDev -47.3%

Starts foaming out of the bottle as soon as it's opened. Pours a very dark, nearly opaque brown with a large, long-lasting, sudsy tan head.

Deep, expressive nose of mixed ripe and dried fruits, with some sweet malt, a whiff of nutmeg, and even some oxidative notes.

Carbonation level is high, giving the body fullness but also making it lively on the tongue. Acetic acid also is there. Flavor profile is a bit exotic, with grapy/berry fruitiness, spice, and molasses. Thins out on the smooth and moderately brief finish.

Impressive in its own way, but the oxidative style and vinegar flavors just don't appeal to me.

Trois Pistoles from Unibroue