Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Trois Pistoles - Unibroue

Trois PistolesTrois Pistoles

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-31-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trois Pistoles Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,949 | Hads: 4,663
4.04/5  rDev -3.8%

I believe what I may have here is a bad bottle. The cork popped with a barely audible thud, and carbonation is grim. Since this seems to be a brewers fault, I'll review this one. Quality control should come into play in overall score. I have not even tried this yet - it just "sounded" bad.

Pours cloudy brown, with very little carbonation. There is a slight lace around the edge of my glass. Aroma is quite fruity, with some apples, plums, and grapes showing up. Some maltiness lingers in the background. Taste starts off with a bready maltiness. Then a good kick of fruit & alcohol comes through. The mouthfeel is full of tiny bubble carbonation, again I think this is due to a bad bottle. This is fizzy like soda pop, not what I expected from Uniboue. The mouthfeel if full and slightly sticky overall decent. Drinkability is great on this one, bad bottle or no. Pretty good for a 'bad' bottle. I think this may have been a bit premature.

Note - This is my third bad bottle from Uniboue (2 maudites)

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Deep brownish-red hue, dense and murky with minimal light penetration, the beige head reached a good two fingers in height. The retention was excellent; the pack of bubbles lasted the entire quaff. Unorganized sheets of lace doted the side of my glass. The aromatics on the nose were impressive and deceiving. The bouquet was surprisingly light and airy with pleasant whiffs of pepper, traces of marshmallows, bready-yeastiness and yeasty fruitiness too. Plus there is an excellent hint of chocolate malts. While the potency is modest it is inviting and complex. The palate is light, with subtle fruitiness upfront, apples mainly, a kiss of marshmallow that is engulfed by the pepperiness and then lightly roasted, chocolate malts of the middle and finish. In the end the maltiness is pleasantly secondary, as hints of dates, raisins, and horse blanket shine more. The aftertaste is unearthly with apples, pepper, fruitiness, and maltiness, somewhat dry. A stunningly well crafted beverage, devilish really, the 9% abv is absent on the palate. I did, however, notice the beer on the brain. Warming. The body is medium; excellent levels of carbonation it is just “firm” enough. Wow, the ease of consuming this ale is scary, considering it is an extremely complex brew. If, for some odd reason you’ve failed to try this beer, you must. Trois Pistoles is simply lovely. Unibroue has sold me on their greatness. I scored this 750 ml in Kansas City. I want more.

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

I had this fabulous Unibroue product poured into a chalice out of a 750ml bottle.

The only thing that kept the appearance score down was the lack of a nice fluffy head. This may be par for the style, but what head did appear was soon gone. The raisin brown color was very appealing.

The smell is of brandy/rum/raisins/plums...deep, rich, sweet, and alchoholic in nature.

The taste is out of this world! Admittedly, I typically don't fall head over feet for Belgian ales, but this strong dark ale is the exception. I place it above Maudite, Chambly, and La Fin Du Monde easily. If it weren't a bit pricey I'd keep it around at all times.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Pretty nice! Poured a hazy dark red with a moderate sized even after a fast pour. Nice head to start out but died quickly and left a slippery lace that didn't stick. This saddened me.

Nice fragrance on this one but nothing special. Dark fruits, bready malts and yeast. High alcohol well hidden in the aroma.

Outstanding flavor! Raisins, yeast, plums, prunes, buttered bread and alcohol. Very smooth going down with great mouthfeel.

3.43/5  rDev -18.3%

I expected to be amazed by this beer, based on its ranking and all. Maybe I got an off batch or something, but it wasn't the best I've ever had. It started off skunky and advanced to good.

Pours a dark brown with minimal lacing from a 12 oz bottle.

Smelled complex, but almost a bit skunky. A wide range from hops to fruity to malty.

The taste began slightly skunky but as it warmed up and breathed a bit, other, better flavers emerged, a fruity, spicy blend, similar to a really good cider. Left an aftertaste like cloves mixed with pumpkin pie.

The mouthfeel was OK, very tingly with carbonation and a little on the thick side.

This beer grew on me a little. I'd drink another sometime, but I'm not in a hurry. It was drinkable, and enjoyable as a flavor excursion, but not remarkable.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

A lovely brew that satisfies the need for complexity. A great looking copper/dark amber body is covered with a rich, thick head of cream that laces throughout the glass. An aroma of fruit greets the drinker with a smell of grapes and cherries, perhaps even a bit of raisin and plum. The spicy, fruity flavors are just as complex with a strong sense of vinous quality. A bit of spice and cloves carries through as well. The medium body is lasting and gives a bit of strong aftertaste, almost syrupy in its finish. The drinkability is good considering the high ABV.

2.38/5  rDev -43.3%

Trois Pistoles is the 2nd beer from Unibroue I've tried.
Comes in a cool bottle!!

3 pistols pours a caramel/amber with a nice thick creamy tan head. The head lingers a long time!

The smell is very fruity; grapes mostly. My nose didn't pick up much more than that.
Tasting the beer I noticed a fruit flavor (grapes) but there was a metallic and alcohol taste very much present! 3 Pistols seemed a little too carbonated almost like champagne.

The aftertaste was unplesant. very sweet and medicinal.
Overall, I don't think I'll be able to finish the bottle. Just not my cup of beer.

4.29/5  rDev +2.1%

Dark brown with a red gleam. The head is dense, generous and it accompanies you through your journey. Malty and fruity aroma of grape. The taste is complex: an adequate balance of chocolate, roasted caramel, cherries, grapes, spices, yeast (less than Unibroue's standard). A light alcohol (not quite well-hidden, but about what I expect from good belgians of this ABV) Bitterness joins you until the end. It's a rich and complex beverage, but while it's probably not overrated, I prefer many other belgian strong ales to this one..

4.82/5  rDev +14.8%

Deep red-brown witha crackling tan head.
Spicy taste and aroma (thats the only hint you'll get of the 9% abv)
Huge cherry in the aroma and taste as well. Very fruity, swirling really brings out the fruit flavor (adds plum). Spice grows as it warms. I don't notice hops or bitterness, but there is a nice dark malt base to the brew.
Medium feel, and very drinkable at least to the point you're still able to lift your glass.

4.14/5  rDev -1.4%

Lovely bottle with some really neat art on the front. Big & corked like all the Unibroue I've seen.

It poured out nice and dark, with a decent head that subsided quickly. Residual yeast could be seen, adding a bit more. Very attractive when poured.

Oh god does this beer smell nice. Cherries, raisins, yeastie bits, caramel was definitely there and maybe some chocolate? Only a HINT of hops, but I'm guessing this is for balancing.

Wow, this is complex. I'm tasting far more than I smelled - although I'd have to say the actual taste itself is good, not amazing. This beer is highly alcoholic, but so well made that I can barely tell in the slightest. Fruit flavours preside over all, with the undertones of caramel, and again, that hint of hops.

Again, pretty good. Nice, dry finish, easy drinking - I can't give it more because this beer was cool bordering on tepid, instead of decently cold. Still, very smooth.

This beer is an endeavour to drink, and I don't think I'd want to go more than one. Still, I'll give it an above average for drinkability.

Belgian Dark Ales aren't my favourite, although I think I can appreciate them - and this is a great one. Well balanced, great nose, doesn't look bad in the slightest... easy recommendation for anyone.

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%

One of My favorite beers. Every sip is a different delicious taste sent to the brian. Top pick from Canada's finest brewery will hold its own against Belgian ales. Nice at the end of a meal or for lunch instead of a heavy latte. Five and a half years till finally found on tap, at Volo's, and really not as good on tap, not as much body and taste, though aroma was there.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

The label art on this one is just evil, it looks very dark and demented. Alas, I was disappointed when I poured it and it came out, red! What the dark ale on lees is going on around here? In reality it is more of a dark reddish-brown than red, and one can see through it as well. It pours quite a creamy-whitish head and the aromas that dance off of this one are quite crazy. This definitely well hopped but with a spice kick of some variety. Perhaps bitter orange peel, coriander, pepper, or even ginger? I couldn't quite place it. This is truly a very unique beer that falls within the belgian variety. I very impressed with what these French Canadians can do with & to beer.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12oz bottle with a best before date 3-11-06, tasted 11-16-03.

This beer poured a dark brown/ruby/blackish body with a thick choppy off white head.

The nose was a great mix of classic dark belgian smells. Chocolate, yeast, phenols, plums, raisins, spice, caramel, a touch of pepper, alcohol with an overall sharpness.

The beer was highly carbonated, yet medium bodied and very soft and drinkable. Lots of ripe fruit flavors: grapes, apples, plums, and raisins. Soft dark malts: caramel, chocolate. Yeast, alcohol, some phenol touches, touch of wheat, very juicy and slightly sweet. Almost like a rum soaked raisin. Very port like. It’s surprisingly mellow for such a big beer. Almost no hop taste at all, but a perfectly balanced hop bitterness that’s so well balanced you barely even notice it’s there.

Basically, I was blown away by this beer. It’s so simple with all these fruit tones and mellow dark malts. I swear the brewer’s at Unibroue are really Belgians. This is an amazing beer, and for the price a steal.

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

Plums, raisins, flowery notes and burned sugar in the aroma.
Hazy Bordeaux color with a stable creamy head.
Indeed a fruity Port flavor, dusty notes in the aftertaste.
Surprisingly light body , dry but a bit fizzy mouthfeel - this makes the beer seem lighter than it really is...

4.59/5  rDev +9.3%

My 1st bottle put me to sleep last night, but a sip out of the warm glass very early this morning, told me that this is a biere worth reviewing. My 2nd Pistole poured a murky chestnut color, with a one finger head. Aroma is a bouquet of fruitiness, almost floral. Pleasant in the mouth, a nice balance of carbonation, alcohol, malts, and slight hops. Taste is of a nectar like dried fruitiness, combined very well with the distinct hops and alcohol.

This is one of the better brews I've experienced. Very complex, and very interesting. Reminds me of Celebrator toward the end, as it just keeps getting more overwhelming to the senses.

This is a wonderful balance of many complex flavours and aromas. Very finely crafted by the Quebec Unibroue folks. This could become one of my all time favourites. Geeez..I'm starting to spell stuff Canadian(flavour, favourite). This stuff is hard to find in Kentucky, so I guess I will cellar my remaining two bottles, eh!

4.37/5  rDev +4%

12 oz. bottle
Appearance: Hazy, chestnut-brown body...has the look of a dark amber apple cider. Tightly-bubbled light tan head lingers with minimal lace.
Smell: Clean, crisp, yeasty with sweet malt background. Fall fruits, apple, grape, citrus-crispness. Complex and a key part of the experience.
Taste: Sweet full malt, with apples, plums, raisins. Delightfully sour yeast acidity, pleasing dry hop/citrus finish. Very nice balance. Alcohol hangs way back.
Mouthfeel: Crisp, tingly carbonation and yeast acidity/dryness.
Drinkability: A great sipper... could easily do 2 or 3 of these.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

pours out an amber brown with a little lace. the aroma is spicey and grassy, lightly fruity. the taste packs some spice and alcohol right off the bat. a light hint of chocolate, malt and sweetness, it finishes dry. heavily carbonated and crisp. its good, just not my thing for the most part, but i can respect it none-the-less. take it easy too, this stuff will make you loopy.

$5.99 for the mag.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

355ml bottle. Best before 5/7/06
Pours a full tan head, a deep brown color, hazy, opaque. CO2 rolling up along the edges of the lacing. The aroma is malty, spicy, and earthy with a background presence of alcohol and some tartness. The taste is sweet, roasted, and spicy, with a tart middle and a dry finish that lingers with liquorish and sassafras. A medium bodied mouth-feel with sufficient effervescence. A well-rounded brew. Not overpowering for such an intense style. Taste was best around 53 degrees ? started loosing its balance as it warmed more. Might have needed some more aging.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

A difficult beer for me as I will always remember it as the beer I drank as the Cubs lost to the Marlins in the NLCS 2003. And as I forgot to respect it, it got the very best of me the next morning!!! Be Warned!!! The beer poured a very orange/red almost wine like color. The stick was rock solid. Aromatics were fruit driven and complex-melon,sour cherries, botrytis-where's the blue cheese? Medium in body with soft bitter chocolate and light buttery fruitiness. A faint peach and tangy raisin note adds to the finish of this very, very complex and intriguing brew. This is a more wine like offering where the malt plays a second to the fruit. I'm thinking pear and blue cheese-seared foie gras?...incidently, my notes say "...end of the 9th..Cubs down 9-6...I need four pistoles!! all I can do to keep from throwing this glass to the floor....we got Wrigley?!" God the hangover sucked the next day.

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

Trois Pistoles has a hazy black cherry soda color and a creamy off-white head.
The aromas wafting out of the glass are a melange of yeasty malt, dark fruits, a hint of chocolate and a mix of spices (coriander, clove, and cinnamon), not to mention a heady alcohol note.
Tasting this beer was a real exercise in sorting out all the different flavors. A light clove/banana flavor along with that bready malt taste was noted plus some raisins, plums, dates, and a sweetness not unlike dark chocolate-covered cherries. Trois Pistoles exuded a real candy sweetness. Finished with a spicy bite layered over a warming alcohol kick.
Feel was creamy and smooth with a light carbonation tingle.
Overall, this was one great beer. Drinkability suffers a bit due to the alcohol it packs. Nevertheless, it's a superbly crafted beer that's just right for slowly drinking over the course of a quiet evening.

4.49/5  rDev +6.9%

Trois pistoles, which I believe is French for "hungry beer bear," pours a dark brown with a light tan head. Smell is wow. Grapes, alcohol, yeast (but not as yeasty as other Unibroues), woody, mmm...
Taste is of sweet, candy malts, tart grapes, Unibroue yeast, and oak. Finish is wheat bitter with lingering, warming alcohol and grapes. Mouthfeel is big and champagnelike in carbonation--a little syrupy at the end.

4.21/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This has the color and clarity of apple cider. Modest off-white lacing remains for the duration of the glass.

Aroma is milder than many belgian-style offerings: what there is hints of raisins and crisp fruit... pear/apples maybe.

Taste empahsizes crispness again. There's a definite mix of estery, fruitlike flavors, but not a hint of syrupy sweetness or chocolate like others in the style. Could be best described as green pear / apple, with a suggestion of green raisins. A definite not-quite-ripe theme. Alcohol is felt rather than tasted.. just a breath of warmth in the finish.

Drinkability wins high marks for being flavorful and complex without feeling heavy or thick or "big". This will most definitely be granted a residence in my beer cellar.

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

I am becoming more impressed by this brewery every time I get around to drinking a different beer from them. This beer has a deep, hazy brown coloring, almost a coke color, with a nice pale brown head. Its lacing had staying power almost to the bottle of the chalice. I didn't get the normal exceptional aroma that I got from some of their other beers and other dark Belgians, but I may have had enough of a sinus problem to affect that.

The taste was complex, very similar to a Chimay Blue-type taste. I tasted so many flavors, they were hard to differentiate. There was a definite malty taste with a hint of yeast. There are some other spices and herbs in there that I can kind place. I don't taste the chocolate flavot that some dark beers have.

I liked the strong carbonation, which gave a clean feel to the mouth during and after drinking. It packs a wallop of alcohol, whch I think adds quite a bit to the flavor. Overall, an excellent beer.

3.95/5  rDev -6%

Dark brown brew with a creamy dark white head. Real fizzy, I still had bubble coming on top five-ten minutes after the brew was pourred. The alcohol was not too prevalent and the taste was sweet and fruity. Usual malt taste from Unibroue. Very nice brew overall.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Dark purple color. Small head. Aroma is slightly vinous, fruity and dusky. Malty and fruity. Very complex flavors; raisins, grapes, figs with a musty undertone. This is a very nice beer. Very smooth, it hides the 9% alcohol very well. There is a hint of alcohol tartness on the tongue. Tasty beer. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is slightly bitter.

Trois Pistoles from Unibroue