Trois Pistoles - Unibroue

Trois PistolesTrois Pistoles

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-31-2000)
View: Beers (36) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trois Pistoles Alström Bros
bonbright7

3.63/5  rDev -14.2%

I picked this up at Whole Foods this evening as I was looking for something new and this was suggested to me as most like the dubbel-style. I was thinking of my current favorite of this style, the Westmalle Dubbel, which needs no introduction to the BA.

I poured the tall black bottle into my 50cl glass after chilling it for a 1/2 hour and a great spongy head appeared and settled down easily. The first impression I got from the smell was that of a famous Irish ale with coffee and chocolate nuances eminating from the heavy glass.

My first taste was simply duplicating what I had inhaled, but there was a thin body of burnt malts and funky raisins. Okay, so I kept drinking it to gather something else from it. After the ale warmed up, it seemed a little better in taste, but I thought that I might return another time to this ale, which is so highly thought of by the BA.

10-22-2006 04:32:45 | More by bonbright7
malcontent

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Trois pistols pours a luscious, nearly solid mahogany liquid crowned by a vivacious head. The head recedes quickly into a foamy ring around the perimeter but with little lacing to speak of. That last point is the only thing keeping it from a perfect appearance score.

Smells of brandied raisons, malt and a touch of alcohol.

Dark, herbal flavors mingle with plum and malt themes. Deliciously creamy finish follows a tongue-tingling mouthfeel. A rich, sweet aftertaste fades to a clean ending. Beautiful.

Mentioned previously, the mouthfeel is great and the alcohol is not immediately noticeable, making this (at 9% ABV) a dastardly drinkable concoction.

10-19-2006 04:28:46 | More by malcontent
cjgator3

3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured the 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a dark murky brown color with a large fizzy light tan head. Aroma is grassy and tart that is filled with many different rum soaked fruits. A light maltiness dominates the start that finishes sweet, tart and dry. Mouthfeel is light and crisp with a high amount of carbonation. Overall, this is another good brew from Unibroue even though I was expecting a little more. Nonetheless, it is recommended.

10-16-2006 23:53:13 | More by cjgator3
jamesdergen

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Pours a dark, cloudy coffee brown with a minimal fizzy head.
S: Dark fruit aromas, caramel and some whiffs of alcohol
T: A very sweet, fruity brew with some bready backing to it. Dark fruits throughout, mainly raisins. There seems to be a minimal hop presence up front, which I like. The alcohol is a big factor at the end.
M&D: A bit too carbonated, but does not detract too much from the taste. Medium-bodied but lighter for the style. The alcohol kick at the end takes away from the drinkability, but still a nicely balanced brew.

One of my favorites, finally got around to reviewing it!

10-16-2006 22:57:54 | More by jamesdergen
tempest

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Trois Pistoles pours a dark, hazy brown with a light tan head. Effervescent at first, the beer smells of cherry liquor with grapes and a grassy, Belgian spice typical of the style. The flavor expands with wild fruit flavor of figs and dates, along with apples and berries. An earthy, herbal spice accompanies the fruit until the ale finishes with brandy and port taste.

10-13-2006 00:58:39 | More by tempest
HoustonTX

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a very dark hazy brown, nearly non-opaque. The head is massive, and spews forth without effort. The head is off white color, almost mocha. Carbonation is excellent as well. The looks are perfect for this one folks. Smell is strong of bananas, sweet candied malt, and various spices. Spicy with fruity esters. Taste is delicious. Lots of dark fruit, banana rind, and sweet phenols. Pure malt based, slightly caramelized, yet earthy. Taste is overall well balanced, dark and fruity. Full-bodied. Mouthfeel is creamy. Drinkability is crazy for 9%.

Another incredible offering from our friendly neighbors to the north.

10-08-2006 21:32:28 | More by HoustonTX
coasterfreak75

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

The pour was a dark crimson bordering on black with a four finger beige head that very slowly dissapated and left no lacing on the glass but a thin beige head remained on top of the beer throughout the drink.

The smell was heavy in a complex fig and date scent with a slight hint of hop spice in the rear of the nose.

The drink started with a kick of figs and complex fruits the middle was more of the same. The finish was heavy and lingering yeast and fruit.

This is a very good beer that would be a good example of the style. Quite drinkable and refreshing. Heavy and chewy but not over the top. Go after this one, it's worth it.

10-08-2006 03:52:13 | More by coasterfreak75
BlackJeremiah

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Dark brown, molasses-colored, with a bit of red undertone. Lots and lots of fluffy, light, creamy head. An incredible amount of lacing. Looks delicious.

S: Roasty scents, malt, clove/spice, and alcohol. Great smells, perfect for the style.

T: Dark, sweet roastiness with hints of chestnuts, clove and spice. Lemon and orange fruit notes, that mix with the peppery alcohol. Excellent blending, really very well brewed.

M: Thick and rich in consistency, but light on the tongue and palate.

D: Let's just say that I bought the 12 oz. bottle this time. I'll be looking for the 750mL size next time. Fantastic, and one of my new favorites.

09-29-2006 03:12:04 | More by BlackJeremiah
Rudgers73

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured into a wine glass from a corked and caged 750 mL bottle. Date: 2005.

A- TONS of head. The first pour filled the glass with over 75% froathy, dishwater head. Left lacing behind that was sticky and tan. The beer is a deep burgandy color with small bubbles of carbonation shooting up throughout.

S- Raisens, slight alcohol, burnt cherry, earthy.

T- Starts out with a dark cherry, burnt caramel, and piney taste. Ends with a bittersweet citrus taste and a tinge of alcohol.

M- Dry and bold. The bubbles work good on the tongue.

D- This is a great drink. It is great for late night sipping or before dinner because it's very similar to a red wine for me.

09-28-2006 00:37:41 | More by Rudgers73
bgraney

3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

Deep brown color with beautiful cocoa head.
Mild fruity aroma, malt and alcohol background.
Enjoyable fruity/malt flavor. Not overpowering and spreads nicely across the tongue.
Excellent lingering after-taste on the back of the tongue that tickles the the nose.
A little too sweet for me to consider more than one glass.

09-26-2006 18:34:33 | More by bgraney
unibrew

New Hampshire

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

Ok,
I've been a BeerAdvocate member for a long time now without ever reviewing a single beer. Very sad, I know. Time for that to stop! I have built up too much beer-knowledge, and, I'd like to share. No better way than with one of the best beers out there, Trois Pistoles.
I must admit that I love Unibroue, and many of their creations. Their style seems to suit my palate very well, and Trois Pistoles comes in at their very best. I used to love Eau Benite the most, but, since they no longer export it to the USA, I may have forgotten what it tastes like! But, trust me, it's awesome.
Trois Pistoles is excellent in it's own right. It's pretty smooth, medium carbonation. Above average carbonation for a belgian style, but, it doesn't hinder it's drinkability. The 9% APV is pretty well hidden, but, your brain will certainly know it after a nice 750ml bottle, but, pleasantly so. I'd be hardpressed to ever rate a beer above this one I think, but, it is my never ending search to do so of course!
Trois Pistoles moves to the head of the class. With a great, dried fruit taste, and all the smoothness you can expect for the style, it's one of the best ales out there. Enjoy!

PS- No, I'm not a shill for Unibroue, though I may sound like it.
The Blanche de Chambly is too weak for me, and I really didn't care a lot for their 15th Anniversary Ale, but, I don't think you can go wrong with 90% of their other offerings. My .02¢

09-23-2006 22:38:20 | More by unibrew
tomvt

Vermont

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Presently my favorite beer made by Unibroue. (warning, you may become quite fickle and fall in love "with the one you're with" when you taste Unibroue's products for the first time. Trois Pistoles has the wonderful taste and drinkability of Irresistible Brune (sadly no longer made) with a slightly more mild aroma and kick of La Terrible. If you're still upset about the Irresistible, try their Chambly Noire. You'll get over the loss!

09-23-2006 19:38:39 | More by tomvt
pweis909

Wisconsin

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

This is a garnet-brown translucent beer with a carbonation and alcohol content that gives it a champagne-like texture -- dry, with lots of fizzing, but without retaining the initial foaming head.

The smell is not powerful, but hints at phenolic spices and a leatheriness that I often find in belgian ales, with some noticeble malt and a definite yeasty breadiness.

It is sweetish to the taste, but lightly so, with the high alcohol balancing the malt. No hoppy flavors.

For the high alcohol content it is easy to drink, going down smoothly.

09-21-2006 10:53:05 | More by pweis909
Onibubba

Kentucky

3.25/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured from a 12 oz into a Duvel glass. Beer fizzes over the neck as soon as I open the bottle. Pours a dark dark brown with reddish highlights and a large mocha head which lasts only briefly. It does look nice.

Smell is...not what I was expecting. I'm not getting the spice or the dark fruits. What I am getting is...bannana? Bready, biscuity, yes.

I assume that this is more from my expectations after that aroma, but this tastes like a dunkelweizen to me. A flat, bland one. Not bad, but if I want this taste, I have 3 dunkelweizens I'd take over this any day.

Mouthfeel is OK. Low carbination and a bit thin, but the alcohol is completely masked, making the drinkability of this quite good.

Well, this was my second offering from Unibroue, and while I did like this much more than the Fin du Monde, it will probably be my last. I'm just not feeling what makes these beers so desireable to most. Again, not bad, just not my thing.

09-20-2006 12:59:07 | More by Onibubba
goo

Ontario (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

341ml bottle

Pours a cola-like colour with a fairly large head. The head eventually settles to about .5 centimetres and doesn't change from there. While pouring I was able to pick up on the fruitiness of the beer right away. The smell also appeared to contain some spice maybe pepper or cinnamon.

As expected the taste corresponds to the smell. The taste is well balanced and the alcohol is hidden.

The carbonation is moderate and is pleasant on the mouth.

Good beer, I would have a few subject to the ABV.

09-18-2006 02:11:57 | More by goo
uconnalum2

Connecticut

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

The appearance is a dark reddish-brown with a big tan head that goes down a bit but lasts throughout. The smell is sweet and fruity and reminds me of red wine. The taste is complex and also reminiscent of red wine. Sweet dark fruits like cherries and figs are evident. I can barely taste the alcohol. A very, very tasty beer. Mouthfeel is carbonated but goes down velvety smooth. This is a very drinkable beer, especially for its ABV. Overall, this is another excellent offering from Unibroue. I love this brewery.

09-17-2006 14:43:58 | More by uconnalum2
jmatthew

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Beads of carbonation form a lining at the bottom of the glass and then subside to reveal an opaque earthy dark brown liquid with orange tinges. The initially large head subdues to little more than a thin ring. Smells are suggestive of toast, dark fruit and raisins with a distinct hint of black pepper. Sweet caramel and molasses is first to hit the tongue, and is then rounded out with some dark candied fruit and spiciness in the middle. The flavors meld into a long warming finish that is reminiscent of tawny port (as accurately described on the bottle). A slick mouthfeel and very smooth for its hidden strength.

09-15-2006 12:43:24 | More by jmatthew
llitsua

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A-Deep copper color, with 2 finger head that fades to cm ring, a
good bit of lacing left behind

S- Plums spiced with cloves seems to overshadow everything else,
with hints of cinnamon, brown sugar, and pears

T- Similar to the smell- plums, cloves, hint of brown sugar, finishes
with pears and a citrus tang

M- Medium-heavy body- good bit of carbonation, a bit of stickiness
lingers

D- For a dark Belgian ale, this went down quite easily, a very
drinkable beer to be savored slowly

09-08-2006 20:26:32 | More by llitsua
klewis

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

750ml bottle 3/13/09 freshness date

A: Pours a dark burgandy with a big frothy head that casually subsides to a small bubbly layer. No lacing.

S: Big smell with fruity esters, bready malt aroms, spice, and a bit of a red wine aroma.

T: A strong taste of dark fruits and spice. No alcoholic taste here.

M: Full-bodied with a long finish. A bit too fizzy for my taste.

D: One of my first craft beers and still a favorite. A great beer at a good price that is readily available. Can't beat that.

09-07-2006 03:24:40 | More by klewis
MrHurmateeowish

New Hampshire

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

Dark reddish-brown body with very thick khaki head (the bottle almost overflowed on me!). Smells sweet, citrusy, kind of earthy/peaty (sp?), similar to a scotch ale or wee heavy. Tastes malty and citrusy. Relatively smooth. While it's high in alcohol, you almost cannot tell that that's the case. Fruity. Tasty but not overly strong or unbalanced. Medium-to-full body. Definitely a sipping beer, but not overpowering. Good alcohol warming. Another good ale from one of the best breweries in North America.

09-06-2006 01:56:03 | More by MrHurmateeowish
dwarvenspirits

2.42/5  rDev -42.8%

I tasted a 2004 bottle of this, aged for two years. I'm not sure if it was past its prime or not. The pour was very nice, a beautiful copper hue color with a nice thick head. It is high in carbonation with helps with head retention and also has a good lace to it.

There is some belgian candi flavor taste which presents itself as sweet but also has some kind of spiciness to it, like pepper corns. It's extremely dry and there is a prominent taste of alcohol. Even after two years the alcohol was both there in the nose and in the taste.

Upon first tasting it went like this: Sweet -> dry ->sweet -> dry.

It's a nice sipping beer which can possibly be paired with a dessert. It almost tastes like a scotch, too.

Taste with a few other people just in case it's not one for you.

09-05-2006 20:49:39 | More by dwarvenspirits
BillyB

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance is a dark brown with some ruby red highlights.
Thin tan foamy head.

I was not very impressed with the smell. Slight hint of sweet malt. Maybe some dark fruit. Spices, similar to those in a winter warmer.

Taste is a little bland. I was expecting more. Typical dark fruit, rummy, candy sugar tastes but not much complexity. There seems to be some spices added but they don't really compliment the style.

Mouthfeel is full but kind of flat and bland.

Drinkability is okay. I'm not saying this is a bad beer. I just think I had high expectations for it that weren't met.
It's almost like a cross between a belgian dubbel and a winter warmer but it doesn't totally work for me.

09-05-2006 20:24:07 | More by BillyB
therica

Maryland

3.98/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I don't think I could drink much of this in one session. It seems more like a specialty beer akin to a fine sipping wine.

Pours a nice prune-wine color, very little head. Still, some lacing on the edges that cling to the glass when sipped.

Nose-- really interesting-- smoky prune with some other alluring characteristics.

Taste-- very nice, slightly tart and dusty but very nice. Not much in the way of hops that I've found, yet. Reminds me of an herbal potpourri of sorts. Almost a brandy-esque effect to the taste.

This was fun. It's something that I might buy again on rare occasion, or with an appropriate complementing meal. Or maybe for an interesting carbonated apertif'. Otherwise, not really in my "drinking beer" category.

09-04-2006 04:37:17 | More by therica
Osiris9588

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Liquid the color of weak black coffee settled in a tulip glass. The head was frothy, about two and half fingers, with decent retention and only random dots of lacing.

The aroma featured spicy yeast, coffee, chocolate, and plenty of jammy, plumy, grapey, fruit. The taste delivered gentle clove, plum, cherry, cocoa, coffee, and red wine--the overall effect resembling the flavor of warm Dr. Pepper, if warm Dr. Pepper tasted good.

Mouth is light, sweet, and fruity with a drizzle of syrup. Very bright, dancing all over the tongue. This beer is sweet, but in a such an elegant way. For a 9% beer the alcohol is well disguised. The only thing out of personal preference I might ask for would be more spice. A delicious concoction for sure.

09-01-2006 00:17:52 | More by Osiris9588
WeisGuy

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

a - deep dark brown with a reddish tinge, big off-white head with good retention and lacing

s - very strong aroma, lots of ripe dark fruits, spices (cloves), and a yeasty/bready smell, cannot pick up any alcohol

t - very sweet, fruity and malty up front, notes of hoppy bitterness on the finish, but the malt dominates, alcohol is somewhat evident as the beer warms up

m - moderate carbonation, medium-bodied, slightly dry finish, definite warming sensation from the alcohol though you can barely taste it

d - very drinkable, the alcohol is well-hidden and the taste and aroma are such that you want to keep drinking it

Another great brew from Unibroue. A wonderful example of the style as well.

08-29-2006 01:08:09 | More by WeisGuy