Trois Pistoles - Unibroue

Trois PistolesTrois Pistoles

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-31-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trois Pistoles Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +4%

Nice, BIG, frothy light tan heady atop a deep brown body that flirts with opacity. The nose is really spicy -- suprisingly so -- throwing off some wit-like aromas, as well as evidence of the signature Unibroue yeast. On the palate, Trois Pistoles is spicy, with dark fruit, a faint roastiness, and then a hint of sweetness, lemon, and yeasty qualities. She drinks sweet and smooth, with the generous warmth of 9.0% alcohol.

TP is complex, satisfying, boozalicious, and well-integrated.

Another outstanding beer from an outstanding brewery.

VoodooBrew, Jun 16, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +4%

Had this at the Falling Rock Taphouse in Denver. A good, dark Italian plum looking body. Head had medium sized bubbles, about 1 1/2 fingers with fair staying power.
Aroma contained yeast, malt and some caramel. Taste reminds me of a Saison brew, with more roasted malt. Raisin, bicuit and caramel were noticeable.
Finished smooth and while not completely clean, clean enough to be refreshed for another sip.
Another good brew from Unibroue

Mebuzzard, Jun 12, 2006
4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

This beer blew me away!

It was my first corked beer, so perhaps I got a little caught up in the moment. But I feel like this was one of the best beers I've had for a long time from a brewery that consider to be one of the best in all of North America.

It pours a dark, cloudy amber with a nice head that has an impressive staying power.

It tastes fantastic and indescribable to me. It's the aftertaste that keeps me wantng more, while the ABV is hidden well.

I would recommend this for anyone and I'm thinking of picking up a second bottle for extended cellaring (even though this brew was nearly a year old when I tried it).

KFaulkner, Jun 10, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours deep, deep amber black with a substantial head that melts quickly to a very scant lacing.
Aroma is sweet with a hint of cherries.
Taste is cherries, raisins, a hint of chocolate and very port wine like. Most definately a smokey flavor to it as well, particularly on the swallow and aftertaste
Very very drying aftertaste.
The alcohol is very well hidden.
This is a very complex beer. I'm going to finish this bottle with a homemade chocolate chip cookie simply because it makes me feel like spoiling myself.
Damn...this brewery in Canada really, REALLY knows how to brew big beautiful extremely complex beers.
I keep buying singles, then going back for a 4 pack. (yep, I buy the little bottles...they seem perfect for me)

IntriqKen, Jun 10, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +7.1%

These bottle ripened beers never cease to amaze me. They are full bodied and contain odd yeasty notes that can be compared to an almost fruity flavor. The head rolls out at you when you open them and stays for the full ride. The aromas and over all look of this beer are very unique and beg you to taste it. With an almost sweet initial taste the drinkability of this beer is high with a definate "here taste this" appeal. One of my favorites.

Kicksmile67, Jun 08, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

What can you say about this one?? Trois Pistoles is a fabulous beer. Really fruity, especially in the smell, with ripe fruity plums being the main smell. Pours a nice head that sticks with the beer all the way through. Reasonably priced for a belgian, and I don't know if it is the water Unibroue uses, or what...but it has that great Unibroue taste to it. I think Unibroue makes the best dark belgians out there. Extremely drinkable as the alcohol is not overly detectable. One hellava brew!

bigdeuce, Jun 07, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance: Pours a dark tawny color with ruby highlights; the tan head leaves many strands of lace

Smell: Caramel, dates, fig, pears, cherries, bananas and a touch of cinnamon; a veritable fruit salad of a beer

Taste: Starts with a caramel and a fruity banana flavor from the Unibroue house yeast; builds with a range of dark fruit (fig and raisin) flavors; after the swallow, the black pepper and other earthy spices kick in, adding a touch of grain and woody complexity to the finish

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly light bodied and highly carbonated; plenty of warming down the throat - it is 9%, after all

Drinkability: With all of its complexity, this is a very approachable beer and one of this brewery's best

brentk56, Jun 04, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: The head was a finger high and fizzy, but receded quite quickly. A small whisper of suds remained on top and around the ring. The color was dark plum in color with a little sediment on the bottom.
Smell: Flowery, herbal, lemon, yeast, cherries and pepper.
Taste: Herbal flavor with cherry and lemon fruit flavors balance well with the peppery yeast notes. So complex that I seemed to keep finding more qualities. Raisons, brown sugar and lemon rind were apparent.
Mouthfeel: Lighter on the palate than I expected. Very bubbly and warming.
Drinkability: Probably the best Belgian strong dark ale I've had.

Schwarzbart, Jun 04, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Highs: Appearance, nose, flavor
Lows: None

Pours medium-dark caramel brown under a one-finger head of brown-tan foam that fades away at a moderate rate. Tiny bubbles fuel the head, leaving good lacing down the glass. Smell is typical of a strong dark ale: ripe dark fruits, plums, pears, a wine presence, and spicy cloves. Taste is initially strong with a bit of alcohol up front, but it quickly moves into dark fruit, cherries, with again a wine-like flavor and cloves, finally with more alcohol on the back. A complex but not overly complex palate. In the mouth, it is surprisingly bubbly, watery, but not too thin. Finish is dry with a bready yeast flavor. Drinkability is very good, but at 9% ABV, watch it.

Overall: An outstanding strong dark ale, one of my favorites and enthusiastically recommended. Though Unibroue’s La Fin Du Monde (a strong pale ale) is rated higher (35th vs. 58th), I still prefer Trois Pistoles.

jettjon, May 31, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

Dark borwn color witha finger width white head that left a nice ring around the glass and spotty lacing. Plum, raison, red grapes, cloves, and fig were all noticed in the smell. Taste was of clove, plum, vanilla, candi sugar, spices, and yeast. Medium bodied with a good carbonation. Gets better as it warms and will try this one again.

badbeer, May 30, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

Little head, but I poured this one very gently, since I had to shake it a litlte before opening to unstick the yeast from the bottom of the bottle.

Smells hoppy and herby. Dark, orange-red when held to the light. Just a hint of a yeast cloud.

Feels very light on the tongue. Fizzy like a champagne, almost no indication of the high alcohol content. Smells of green apples and honey, taste lets the sweet come forward into caramel, but all very understated beneath fairly belgian-tasting hops. Ends with a mineral bitterness that actually pretty refreshing. Not a beer you need a drink of water after.

ojiikun, May 27, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Pour was very dark grape/brown, but I couldn't see the exact color since I was in a bar. Head maintained all the way down. Smell was yeast and fruits, but again since I was in a bar this was a bit muffled. Very inviting though. Taste was warm, but not alcoholic. Initially I didn't pour any yeast in, but after I did I gained a bit of a pie crust character which worked very well with the tart blackberries and that sweet yeast that Unibroue is known for. This is very well rounded and a perfect sipper. Hard to realize this is 9% and I'm pretty sure if not for the price and the drive home I would have kept on going.

Served in Unibroue glassware at the Flying Saucer.

jwff, May 25, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours dark, nice color with a moderate head. Aroma is very mellow. Flavor is noticably alcoholic, with mild sweetness and fruit flavors. I was expecting more dark sugar flavors, maltiness and body; the mouthfeel was just a tad too light. Not my favorite strong dark Belgian-style ale out there, for sure.

Beauregard, May 24, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a dark ruby with dazzling highlights. Head came out an off-white/cream color, but did not hold up to its initial size, but eventually maintains a creamy layer over the beer. Spotty lacing. Smell is a big nosefull of fruit. There is the typical fruitiness from Unibroue's house yeast along with strong smells of berries. Fantastic. I don't think I've ever smelled a beer quite like this. The alcohol seems to poke through a bit, but it doesn't hinder this too much. Flavors are of rich, dark malt and that berry character I picked up in the nose. The typical Unibroue yeast is very present in this, and I wish it would have been a bit subdued in order to let the other flavors shine more. I am very impressed with the mouthfeel. It isn't so heavy that it would wear me out from drinking more of this. Carbonation was just right. Just bubbly enough to liven up the berry flavors, and just smooth enough to cater to the malty body.

I forgot how good this was.

goochpunch, May 23, 2006
4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

This pours a dark red/purple with a giant foamy head that lasts forever, very impressive looking. The smell is strong alcohol, dark fruit, grapes, Belgian sugar, and some sweet malt. The taste is strong with brandy, dark fruit, grapes, sugar, and some oak woodiness. The alcohol is not strong in the taste at all. The m/f is surprisingly light with a nice blend of all the flavors. This is a classic beer that if you can't find it, drive to Canada at once !

jmz62565, May 20, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

This was served in a beer goblet, and the beer is brown with a bit of purple/red tinge to it. It produced a big, carbonated head that lingered around for a few minutes. There's a light fruity (prunes/plums/raisin) smell to the beer, very nice and not overpowering at all. It's not as "thick" as I expected it to be, but I could definitely feel the carbonation while I was drinking it. Even with the carbonation, it was very easy to drink. It tasted pretty much like it smelled, nice and fruity but not very strong at all, at least not as strong as I expected a 9% ABV beer to be. There's a fruity aftertaste to the beer too, but it doesn't last too long. I really couldn't feel the alcohol in it when I started drinking it, but it kicked in closer to when I finished drinking it. Definitely an excellent offering, and I'll definitely try it again. It's the first beer I've had from Unibroue, so now I want to try the other ones I've seen too.

bluejacket74, May 19, 2006

I enjoyed a 12 oz. bottle of this delicious Belgian style dark ale. This beer has a dark brown complexion. The smell is pretty strong and is mainly of cinnamon, spices such as nutmeg, and fruit such as plumes and perhaps even bananas and bread. Also alcohol. The taste is the same as the smell but w/ alcohol . This beer leaves quite a warming feeling after a few sips. the 9% ABV would make it difficult for this to be a session beer for me unless I was in the mood to get drunk, which I rarely am anymore. Quality over quantity when it comes to beer. This beer has a very frothy and creamy moutfeel with some moderate carbonation. this beer certainly has less carbonation than its Unibroue cousin beer, La Fin Du Monde. Overall, a very tasty beer indeed.

Eric

neenerzig, May 17, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

12fl.oz. brown bottle with twist-off cap. Nice neck/cap foil and label with a Best before: 07-13-08. It pours a dark mahogany-burgundy with 1/2inch of cream colored head. Head lasts awhile and some healthy lace lingers after each sip.

Strong, sweet musty aroma, with notes of prunes, balsamic vinegar, cinnimon and alky. Smells potent and spicy.

Fruity and sweet malt to the start that pans out dark and billowy of ripe banana, bubblegum, nutmeg. Some notes of yeast and hops take her down to one hell of an alcoholic warming, whoa. This stuff tastes as potent as it is, with complexity and balance that is BIG.

Full bodied, frothy, creamy mouthfeel with some deep down warming that's easy to consume, but not a sessioner in my book...more like a night capper or cold weather blanket. Not for the faint hearted, cheers!

scottoale, May 16, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

dark, kind of purpleish and brown. no head really. looks like a red wine. smells like dark fruits and ethanol. malty fruity taste...prunes, plums and molasses. some spicy notes too. i also get some raspberry/strawberry in there as well. very thin, surprizingly so. but pretty darn tasty and very easy to drink. another good bottle of beer from Unibroue.

aforbes10, May 12, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a dark mahogany, almost black color with a two finger off white (almost caramel) colored head that retains nicely. Lots of fizziness in the middle of the glass.
S: Aromas of dark fruit, mostly grapes and prunes, with that nice beligian style smell. Malty and spicy notes tingle the nostrils.
T: Tastes of dark fruit felt at the tip of the tongue. Those prunes are noticeable again with a spicy and almost sweet almost chocolate like flavor that follows and leaves a fruity dry taste at the back of the tongue.
M: Carbonation blast isn't as heavy as other offering from Unibroue, which I like. Sticky as it almost coats the mouth which is noticeable in the aftertaste. Warms the chest after a couple of gulps, but the abv is not noticeable as its going down.
D: Definately a drinkable beer. Unibroue has great offerings and they just keep me wanting to try everything they've got.

bjohnson, May 08, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a dark, dark amber, fading to blood-red at the sides. Lots of carbonation visible. An absolutely massive tan head will form with anything but the most careful pour. Little/no lacing.

Smells powerfully of raisins, dates, plums, cinnamon, rum, and a hint of biscuit dough.

Taste is plums, cherries, cinnamon, cloves, and a hint of chocolate and sourdough in the finish.

Mouthfeel is big and bold, but this is perhaps a bit overcarbonated, almost harshly so on the tongue.

Tasty stuff, but watch that alcohol!

waldowin, May 07, 2006
2.65/5  rDev -37.4%

This beer poured into my Chimay chalice a deep mahogony color. There is a thin head. There is also lots of yeast that has settled to the bottom of the glass. The smell is sweet and a bit like plums. The taste is very powerfull and fruity. The mouthfeel is overpowering at first and then calms down into a lasting aftertaste similar to apricot brandy. The drinkability would be better if not for the overpowering abv. I probably will not have this beer again.

Enola, May 04, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

A- very dark brown almost black- light tan head that billowed up quickly and fell almost as fast, beautiful lacing when you tip the glass to drink
S- somewhat complex, a lot of the dark fruit smell(no citrus at all), a bit of malt and spice
T- very very good, just not quite complex enough to drop a 5, a lot lighter than many beers in this ABV
M- it was kinda creamy from all the carbonation, but moved around pretty easy
D- pour me another

supercolter, May 03, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

An incredibly large tan head spring up from my glass on the pour... It ranges from tight bubbles to loose...but is overall smooth and foamy. It descends at a moderate rate, revealing a liquid the colour of dates...held to the light, is between honey and ruby, and just a bit hazy.

Smell is very yeasty and spicy up front- rather airy quality, as well. I'm also picking up on peaches, almonds, and brown sugar.

There's some alcohol up front, along with some guava and brown sugar. Rather spicy throughout, with a dark pungent sweetness carrying that spice. A bit woody and dry on the aftertaste.

A tad highly carbonated for my taste. I don't notice the liquid much because of it- but it' a medium liquid- just about right.

Drinkability is quite good. The high carbonation is a bit much for me, but this is definitely a solid strong dark. I'd not turn it down.

Be well
-UF

UncleFlip, May 02, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a cloudy dark brown with a tall tan head (several pours needed to fill the glass). Aroma is sweet and fruity, dark not citrusy, dry chocolate malt, some candy sugar and just a hint of bubblegum. Nose blooms quite well as it warms.

Taste is rich and moderately sweet, all that a dark Belgian style should be. Flavors of candy sugar, raisins, plums, caramelized malts. More flavors of white grape or pear juice, more light flavors of bubblegum, has a nice pinot noir quality (would make a good recommendation for a wine drinker). No detectable flavors of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium, very smooth, finish is clean with a small acidic bite. Stands up as well or better than just about any native Belgian ale. I've had this beer many times before without being impressed but this bottle really just struck me the right way tonight.

assurbanipaul, Apr 22, 2006