Trois Pistoles - Unibroue

Trois PistolesTrois Pistoles

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-31-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trois Pistoles Alström Bros
burnstar

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours black with a very thick frothy tan head. Smells like sweet berries with just a faint hint of yeast and alcohol. Taste is initially roasted malt with lots of fruit complexity. The taste lingers for a while - very nice finish. There is also a little bit of yeatiness present but very little sign of alcohol except for the pleasant warming effect. This has a very good mouthfeel. It's heavy and creamy. Coats the mouth and is a joy to drink from my goblet - that wonderful head persists forever. This is quite tastey but it's not stuff I would want to drink all night. Definitely needs to warm up a bit for all it's flavors to come through.

08-21-2005 06:06:31 | More by burnstar
DogFood11

3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

I Brought out this big dog for a nightcapper. Nice label that is typical of Unibroue. 750ml poured into a tulip and produced a magnificent 3 finger head that laid down to a solid finger throughout. Nice ring lacing and head tan in color. Dark Belgian is exactly that in this fine brew, Dark Brown to the point of 0 visibility.

Dark fruits and yeasty up front with a heavy malt backbone.. Metallic/medicinal evident and was unfortunate but it was subtle and not disturbing. Warming alcohol smell was evident (bonus). Unibroue brings us some fine brews. I guess Canada is actually worth having around as long as this brewery is alive and well.

08-20-2005 04:05:54 | More by DogFood11
Matthew

Connecticut

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

This beer has become one of my favorites. What an amazing beer! Pours a very dark brown with a light tan head. Smells incredibley sweet. Immediatley recognized some nice plum and prevelant cherry aromas. Nice light chocolate character that seemed to be wrapped in the sweet fruity flavors of the plum and cherry with a bit of a tartness that sits on your tongue and stays on its way down. Malty, yeasty, and delicious.

08-11-2005 18:53:52 | More by Matthew
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

From 330ml bottle.

Pours a deep opaque brown with a frothy tan head. Smells fruity, mostly of plum and other dark fruit. Vanilla and molasses. Sweet spice, clove.

Taste is quite malty and yeasty. Lightly tart apple and plum. Vanilla, spicy like pepper and coriander. Lightly bitter in the finish. Mouth is rich and lightly sticky. Good stuff, I can never do the Unibroue beers justice with my words.

08-07-2005 01:03:33 | More by ViveLaChouffe
Albinoh

Mexico

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Dark color, very decent head, foamy with bubbles. Sweet smell, malt, and a touch of caramel and fruits. Amazing taste, thick mouthfeel but not execive, the alcohol is very well hidden behind the sweet flavor. Caramel, a little bit of chocolate and the fruity-like flavor make this beer really desirable. The flavor stays in your mouth for a while letting you remeber the complexity of the beer you have just tasted.

08-06-2005 23:48:30 | More by Albinoh
fisherman34

Manitoba (Canada)

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

Brownish purple in colour, with a fair amount of carbonation. Lots of yeast, spice, and dark berry fruits on the nose. Very yeasty flavor profile as well, with the fruits taking on a sour note. The syrupy raisin malt favors were balanced out well by the carbonation.I was expecting it to be a bit more "port like", but this is still great. Very mellow indeed.

08-05-2005 15:43:51 | More by fisherman34
phishgator

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into a tulip glass, lots of foamy head. A creamy quality that doesn't dissipate. The taste is sweet candi sugar and malt. There is a fruity twang to the aftertaste, which stays with you for some time. I believe that due to the aftertaste the mouthfeel suffers a little. The alcohol is there, though it is not up front. I can enjoy about two of these at a sitting and then I'm done!

07-31-2005 16:42:15 | More by phishgator
DrunkMcDermott

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

I came to this beer the long way around. This was one of the beers tapped at the Oak Lawn "Fall on the Green" Festival the weekend. My homebrew club, BOSS, volunteers to pour the "good" beers, in return, we get to keep the leftovers for our picnic the following weekend (the village buys the beer, and their license is only good for the three days. If we didn’t take it, they’d have had to pour it out! Sacré!). I couldn’t make the picnic, but came in Sunday to help clean up, and this was still flowing! So after all that...

Pours a lovely brown. By this time, the head is kicking up pretty frothily, understandably. Has a great taste that to me gave just a light impression of cherries, likely from the yeast. Also a well-balanced spiciness that stays in the background for support. Overall great malty taste. This probably wasn’t the best condition for trying it out in, but it held up very well. I even filled a growler for later!

07-20-2005 15:31:45 | More by DrunkMcDermott
BenZ

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

a- poured into a goblet, light head faded quickly. Brown with hints of read
s- ambiguous fruits turning to alcohol as it warms up
t- dried fruits (raisins, apricot), some warming alcohol, pleasing amount of bitterness
m- so smooth, carbonation is just right, very nice
d- a pleasant warming sensation. Mouthfeel and flavor keeps you coming back.

Overall, I'm not quite as impressed with this one as I was with Maudite or Fin du Monde. Great brew regardless.

07-18-2005 21:34:17 | More by BenZ
TurdFurgison

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Presentation: 750 ml bottle, poured into chalice.

Appearance: Very very dark brown, almost black. From some angles I can see red hues.

Smell: Bready, yeasty, fruity.

Taste: Delicious, with all sort of flavors competing for dominance: cherries, chocolate, plums, and more.

Notes: Exceptional, I love this stuff. It's a staple in my fridge.

07-17-2005 15:04:18 | More by TurdFurgison
karengarys

Indiana

4.4/5  rDev +4%

I am VERY surprised by this beer!

This pours a dark mahogany with sediment (floaties). It leaves a head which dissipates in a few minutes, but leaves a fluffy ring and a bit of an island.

The smell is sweet. Floral. Maybe a bit of pete. Some other sweetness.

The taste is quite rich. The alcolhol is quite well hidden, for the most forefront tastes are malts with fizzy hops. Vanilla. Honey. Cinnamon? The hops balance it well, very laid back but present.

The mouthfeel is nice and creamy.

The finish is nice and clean/dry, and the alcohol is noticed on the way down, but not in an unruly fashion.

The body is nice and light, yet rich. I do not like lighter body beers because they leave me yearning for something that doesn't exist. This is lightish, yet is very rich and full.

I do recommend finding this and giving it a try - I am buying a few more!

Update, actually for my own notes on 6/7/2013 - my wife didn't care for it, the spices were too strong and it had a bitter finish bite to her that made it difficult to drink. I did not edit anything from the original review in 2005, but I think it is a bit thinner than noted in my original review. I guess the rest is pretty much the same.

07-14-2005 01:59:33 | More by karengarys
ejquin

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

App: Chesnut with white head that fades quick. Provides some lacing.

Smell: Nicely phenolic and yeasty. Typical belgian sweetness.

Taste: Very very nice. The first thought I had was that the alcohol is perfectly balanced in this beer. It's just there enough for you to know your drinking a serious beer, but it's never harsh or overbearing.There's a bit of hop spiciness up front which is followed by nuts and finishes with brown sugar. Alcohol provides some warmth as the beer goes down.

Mouth: Nice and smooth. Touch light maybe but still nice.

Drink: excellent for a 9% abv.

Overall: I felt like this beer was just turned down a smige from the true belgian classics like St. Bernardus and Westy. The taste smell and mouthfeel were all just slightly below those two, but I would put this right behind those two, and that's saying a lot. This is definitely a beer I will have again and again.

07-13-2005 23:45:03 | More by ejquin
Pepeton

Mexico

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

I just love Unibroue!

Bought this one in a supermarket for a real bargain, not dirt cheap, but still a bargain. Maybe it's a marketing strategy to place this brewery in the palate of Mexicans. I hope.

Pours a dark amber brew, with an impressive tan head that stayed for a while.

Smell is complex: Ripe fruits, spices, some maltiness in there too, and yeast. Swirl the glass and more aroma comes out.

Taste is quite Belgian, sweet, a bit tart and robust.

Mouthfeel is creamy, with a dry aftertaste due to the 9%ABV.

I could drink this one anytime, but I live in México and the weather is always a factor. Trois Pistoles is more for my winters, when the temperature drops maybe to the lower 40s (the last 15 days the minimum was 72° early one morning and highs around 110°).

07-08-2005 13:39:46 | More by Pepeton
Naes

3.25/5  rDev -23.2%

Appearance is super cloudy brown with a frothy white head (slight lacing)

Smells a bit fruity and malty.

The taste is mildly sweet with a faint flavor of hops in the aftertaste. They did a marvelous job of masking the alcohol flavor for 9% ABV.

Mouth feel is light and highly carbonated.

Drinkability is low due to its high carbonation and ABV.

This one is a good beer, but nothing in the flavor department really stands out to make it a unique brew.

07-03-2005 05:19:33 | More by Naes
scooter231

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Yum, yum, yum. Unibroue makes me so happy.

Pours a dark, rich looking reddish/brownish color with a lot of tan head that dwindles down to a lovely ring around the edge of the glass. Smells grassy, earthy. Sweet, but not too much so. Definitely some chocolate in there and caramel.

Tastes lovely. A fabulous sweet fruityness to it, mostly grape and raisin, followed by a hint of citrus. Very flavorful- also traces of spices in here, herbalness. So much going on, but on a subtle level that's all well balanced. I can sense and taste the alcohol, but it adds to and helps, rather than hinders, the flavor. It helps the mouthfeel and gives you a lovely warming feeling.

The carbonation is plentiful, which I personally enjoy, and plays on your palate, adding a necessary lightness to this otherwise sweet and slightly heavy beer. Completely adds balance to it. Helps the drinkability factor, and makes each sip burst on your tongue. A sweet treat.

07-01-2005 05:43:51 | More by scooter231
GCBrewingCo

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

The beer poured into the chalice crystal clear dark brown with amber highlights. The head was tan and frothy and fell slowly to lace the glass.

The aroma was dark fruits, prunes and plums with raisins and grapes. The aroma also contained a citrusy note. The Belgian yeast left a light spiciness which added complexity to the aroma. Dark caramel maltiness also existed in the aroma.

The flavor was creamy with dark fruits, raisins, prunes, plums and more grapes. Also present was a deep maltiness and dark caramel flavors. After the fruits and malt fade on the palate a distinct orange citrus flavor emerged. Alcohol was present in the flavor, but added complexity to the beer.

The finish was every so slightly sweet and malty with a candy flavor of grape and dark fruits with a lasting light spice and citrus. The body was above medium, but not quite medium full and creamy due to the carbonation. Very complex and very well done!

750 ml bottle. 2004 stenciled on bottle.

06-27-2005 21:45:33 | More by GCBrewingCo
TPSReports

Alabama

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

Large 22oz corked and caged bottle.

Pours a deep dark burgendy color. Airy foamy head of tan appears and dissiapates to about 1/8 inch.

Smells wonderful -- very malty with apples and strawberries.

Very carbonated feel on the tongue. Maybe a bit of a sloppy pour that didn't let enough gas out? I don't know.

Slightly bitter at first. This beer is warming up! Carmel flavors are coming alive on the second glass. I just raised taste from 3.5 ro 4.0. Yeehaw!

06-24-2005 00:46:15 | More by TPSReports
Cwrw

Alberta (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Trois Pistoles has always been my favourite of the Unibroue labels; a true work of art, and somehow nothing less would do for this beer. Classy, elegant, with an almost sacred air surrounding these bottles of Trois Pistoles. In the glass TP is a very dark, almost deep purple colour. Held to a light it is dark brown. It looks thick and inpenetrable, appearing black from a distance. The head is light beige and brown, leaving large bubbles of lace. The head from this particular bottle was not that large, and actually I have found the head a little inconsistent for TP, but this is still a magnificent looking beer. The aroma is musty and exceptionally complex. From above the rim I can detect some maltiness mixed with charcoal and black licorice. In closer is where all the fruitiness exists, and the detectable but not overpowering phenols. Red grapes, grapejuice, black currants, figs, dark malts and alcohol, baking bread, and a great balance of sweetness; a sugariness that is always there, but very subtle and a little hard to coax out of it. The website mentions aromas of chocolate, but I get very little, if any chocolate smells. Similar yeast aromas to the other Unibroues. I get red apples and faint pear aromas as well. Swirling the glass releases some saltiness, like a seasoning. The aroma is also quite spicy if you sniff close enough, and that combined with the 9% really can tickle the nose, and numb it. As it warmed I started to smell soil in the aroma. Taste at first is dusty sweetness of dark malt. Again I get a lot of grape taste up front, more fruits, horehound candy, and mollasses. The alcohol makes it presence known fairly rapidly, and it definitely lingers in the aftertaste. The finish also gives some cream and iron metallic tastes. The taste to me is much like a fortified grapejuice, but not exactly wine-like, because it is too sweet. There are definitely some cabernet or merlot flavours though, along with a little bitterness akin to tannins. And I do mean little: even for the style this possesses very little dryness. Full bodied and warming. Despite the volume of alcohol, very drinkable and absolutely stunning as an after dinner drink with a rich, sweet dessert. A beer that lives up to its label. This is a brew I love to introduce to people as one of Canada's best craft beers.

06-21-2005 08:21:50 | More by Cwrw
neonbrown82

Nebraska

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

Thanks to fellow BA Chatter for the opportunity to taste yet another beautiful beer from Unibroue. I liked this one even better than the last.

The beer pours to a completely opaque black color with a perfectly formed head. It looks very appealing inside its tulip glass. The head on these Unibroue beers is absolutely mind-bogglingly perfect. The color of the beer seems to match the theme perfectly.

The smell is my only complaint with this beer. For a belgian style it is very subdued. I can pick up faint hints of phenolic berry scents along with a malty belgian candi sugar sweetness. Nothing too impressive here, though it does smell good for what it's worth.

The taste on the other hand is awesome. It has a dark candi sugar bias to it, but it isn't over-the-top sweet like many recent belgians I've had. It also sports a slight dark berry flavor to it along with some graininess and a mild spicy hop bite in the finish.

The beer isn't as dry as the La Fin Du Monde. Very impressive creamy mouthfeel, though. Also provides a great residual sugar taste in the finish. Drinkability is extraordinarily high considering this brew is so extraordinarily high in alcohol (which is quite well hidden by the way).

06-18-2005 06:31:07 | More by neonbrown82
waughbrew

4.78/5  rDev +13%

6/16/05 Re-Review Add-on: Deep dark peppery aroma, chocolate covered plum flavor, silky texture. This is one stunning beer.

4/26/04: Reddish auburn with a light beige head that sticks around for a minute before receding to a lacing. Smell screams unibroue with that house yeast of their's contributing great esters and phenolics. Also big are raisins, chocolate, and coriander. Plummy in the flavor with a very smooth long finish. Feels good, the carbonation bites just a bit on the sides of the tongue. A gorgeous beer, and almost too easy to drink.

06-17-2005 01:41:20 | More by waughbrew
palma

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Dark brown body with a short creamy looking off-white head that doesn’t last long at all. Lace ring remains throughout the session.
Prominent fruit aroma, particularly apple, raisin and plum. A very light dark malt smell as well. Little or no hop aroma.
Taste is what carries this brew. Chocolate, molasses, brown sugar, with a tart and sweet fruit backbone. I taste apples big time in the end/aftertaste. The flavor is complex however it is still light and not as robust as I expected.
Decent mouthfeel which is a little on the lighter side as well. I did find this beer to be very drinkable however. I finished off the 750 ml fairly quick and could definitely go for another.

06-16-2005 04:58:03 | More by palma
danielharper

3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

Purchased from Strong Bros. Liquor, Fayetteville, TN.

My first Belgian -- I can see why they are so admired by BAs everywhere, even as I realize that they're probably not ever going to be an everyday beer for me.

Appearance: I poured this into an oversized wine glass/chalice that I borrowed from my fiancee's wine glass collection -- the whole 12oz bottle went into the glass and left me with enough room for a small tannish head, which dissipated quickly. The beer had a deep, dark purple appearance to me that I found quite intriguing and inviting -- I'd give this a five for appearance were it not for the minor head. The bottle design is also really nice; I really like the label, although I wish that brewers would stop using foil around the tops of the bottles.

Smell: Really fantastic aroma, very fruity -- almost like a tannic red wine in its complexity. This is the first beer I've ever sniffed in which the faint scent of alcohol is apparent in the nose, but even that worked well with the overall aroma. Very nice.

Taste: Much like the smell, only more so. Bold, almost overwhelming levels of fruit with a dry, almost bitter aftertaste. Washing it around the mouth reveals all kinds of flavors that seem to only interact with certain parts of the tongue. As the beer warmed I found that the fruitiness started to fade, while the bitterness got stronger but still pleasant. The bitter taste almost reminded me of a stout, high praise from me.

Mouthfeel: Very thick, very creamy, very nice. Despite the minimal head I found this beer to have a foaminess to it that I enjoyed.

Drinkability: Why so low? While this beer is very nice, I don't think I could drink more than one of these at a sitting. Partially this is due to the alcohol content, but for me it's less drinkable simply due to the fact that it tastes so much like wine -- an overall "wine" flavor actually makes me sick if I have too much of it. Perhaps this is a bit unfair, but I do feel that drinkability ratings should be based on the reviewer's own personal preference.

Overall, I think this is a really nice beer, one that I will probably buy again. It certainly makes me want to try other Belgians. But the three I've got left in my closet will likely last me a little while, as I don't intend to drink these too terribly often. Your wine-drinking friends might find this to be an "in" to good beer, however.

06-15-2005 23:09:23 | More by danielharper
Dithyramb

Maryland

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Sampled last night on draft at Max's on Broadway.

Pours slightly thick with a thin off-white head that dissipates to a ring that grabs the side of the glass. Head retention not as nice as with the bottle, but has the excellent lacing. Slightly burned caramel color that is hazy to an almost translucent nature.

Yeast and malt fill the nose.

A great tasting, chewy beer. A light bit of yeast pepper is accented with chocolate, coffee, raisins and the other dark malts mixed with bready goodness. The alcohol is wandering around in the dark corners.

Drinkable? Oh, yeah.This mighty brew beat down the flavors from a smoked salmon chowder and came bursting through in the tastebuds. It is a definite contenda and should be exhulted with the other big Belgians out there.

06-15-2005 14:30:54 | More by Dithyramb
Wonka

Maryland

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

355 ML
9% alc./vol.
BEST BEFORE 04-04-05 (sampled over 2 months past the date)

Appearance – slightly cloudy, mostly brown/bit red body; initial inch-thick, off-white head crackles away quickly; lace isn’t present; age seems to have taken a negative effect here for head and lace seem to be more impressive in younger bottles reviewed by others

Smell –medicinal notes run lower than the prevalent plum; big on malts

Taste – yeast emerges and some spice kicks in; dark fruit holds strong and a bit of a caramely tone arrives; pleasant medicinal and slight alcoholic qualities come through in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel & Drinkability – brew comes alive; crisp, micronized bubbles coat the tongue and almost make the entire distance of the sip but they peel back just enough at the finish line to aid in drinkability; for such a big Belgian, this aged beast rolled smoothly

Very enjoyable. Beyond the appearance, its all-around tremendous. Its as 'terrible' as La Terrible as far as Unibroue is concerned.

06-12-2005 23:22:47 | More by Wonka
sinistermadman

Oregon

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from the 25.4 oz bomber this brew pours a cloudy brown with an extreme (right after opening) pillowy head. Head soon settles to a nice lace and retains quite well throughtout the drink.

Smell: Very organic, that is about all I can declare.

Carbonation introduces the palate to a multitude of flavors. Taste hints at sweet fruit. Alcohol warms the face and the spicyness of the brew. Not overbearing, but well balanced for a brew of this potency. Another Unibroue gem.

06-11-2005 00:17:00 | More by sinistermadman