Trois Pistoles - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-31-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trois Pistoles Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Dark brown appearance, almost reddish hue through the glass.
Smells peppery and spicy, smell pretty good, but I think it smell like pretty much every other beer I have had from Unibroue.
Taste: Good malty beer with prevelant spice
Mouthfeel is smooth, heavy, thick, velvety
Drinkability is pretty good for a beer boasting 9%

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

Dark brown with a nice tan head that faded all too quickly. Lacing was decent.

Smells of ripe plums and alcohol. Nice and inviting. Taste is of plum, candied apple, and other mysterious and complex dark fruits. Some yeasty characteristics as well, finish is warm and perfect.

Medium bodied and smooth mouthfeel. I'm in love with this beer by the time I finish it.

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a corked and caged 750ml into a Caracole tulip chilled.

A - Deep brown w/ garnet highlights and a 3 1/2 finger cream colored head with compact bubbles. The head retention is phenomenal as well as the thick lace that accompanies it.

S - Dark woody malts and rich bready aromas as well as gentle tropical fruit and floral scents are present.
A huge scent of fig with a vinous quality and a hint of nut bread.

M - A feel that is both sweet, vinous, rich and creamy. Totally delightful all the while .Finishes on the dry side w/ the alcoholic warmth leading into flavor remarks.

T - Spicy belgian yeast w/ a light metallic taste. A minor vegetal and pepper taste w/ nutty grainy malt flavors.. Sweet candy sugar in the creamy finish makes for a sweet full on Dark Belgian Ale w/ a mild currant aftertaste.

D - I drank the whole 750ml + was still craving more after the yeast was decanted w/ the last drops of ale. The abv is well hidden it drinks like a rich rum cake in beer form- spicy and sweet.

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

a: The pour gives a healthy dirty-tan colored head that steadily falls back to a thin layer that fragments a bit then sticks around. The beer is a deep, dark, ruby brown in color.

s: An assault of delicate though pungent tree fruits pours out of the glass. Various carnations of sugars swirl around with Belgian malts and spicy, aged hops. A line of sweet cocoa runs throughout. Yes!

m: Lively mouth-filling carbonation, well on the high side of things but not overwhelming on the palate. Nice, satisfying medium body apparently lightened somewhat by the carbonation.

t: Easily a good BSDA. Plenty of dark, sweet fruits carried on lighter, bready malts with a nice note of papery, spicy hops. Nice sugars. Dry finish with a touch of yeast and earthy wood. Not terribly complex, but very solid and well composed. Doesn't quite live up to the aroma.

d: quite easy...great masking of the abv

12 oz. single bottle from Whole Foods Raleigh

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love the label and the beer looks even better. A dark purple almost black with a frothy white head not much lacing. Smells of Unibroue yeast, fruits, and a complex spiciness. A nice fruity, spicy, bitter mouthfeel followed by a warming alcohol finish. Tonight I am drinking with the angels or the devil himself. Either way I am happy.

4.68/5  rDev +10.6%

Picked up a 750mL bottle by chance at the local liquor store. Served in a hollow-based tulip glass.

Appearance- Dark and sinister as the label suggests. This beer pours with a intriguing, full-sized, light tan coloured head which dissipates quickly to leave a lingering epidermis of sinful bubbles ready to be pierced by the blade of your thirst.

Smell- I must admit, I was hoping for this beer to really enrapture that sense that is most strongly linked to memory. But, in years to come... I'm afraid I may forget the details of this well-crafted beer. I find it difficult to pin down exactly what I get out of the aroma here... A touch of hops, almost (but not entirely) smothered in an abundance of sweetness and a dark aroma unique to this beer. Although this ale is rated at a sobriety breaking 9% ABV, not a tinge of alcohol comes through on the nose.

Taste- If in heaven you drink fine wine, and in Hell you drink this.... Please, throw me into the fiery depths of Dante's Inferno because this brew is worth it. Sinister dark malts plague your taste buds, followed by a warmth of alcohol that doesn't even touch your palate... Nay! It only presents it's warmth after it has decended down your esophageas.

Mouthfeel- I feel that this is the area that most deserves improvement with this beer. It is a bit too tingly and carbonated for my taste, but it may have been exactly what the creators were aiming for. Who am I, but a mere mortal to judge the hellish intent of the brewmaster at Unibraue!?

Drinkability- Whilst writing this masterpiece of a beer review, I have become increasingly intoxicated by this furtive ale. A tribute that this is not a beer to be taken lightly. However, it is astonishingly refreshing and drinkable considering the complexity and evil intent of this beer.

If you can afford the $7.99 pricetag on this beautiful temptation of the underworld... Do so of your own accord, for I am forever indebted by the intoxicating hedonistic forbidden affair.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Poors dark but transparet brown, with a soda-like head that dissipates quickly. The smell is a bit lite, with some fruityness and malts. The taste is quite complex and enjoyable. The fruit that is apprent is subtle and compliments the malts and beligian yeast well. The mouthfeel is a bit lite, which in turn makes it a bit more drinkable for me. Very tasty, very good beer

4.4/5  rDev +4%

Great beer.

Dark, but not overpoweringly so. I'm a sucker for a strong, dark beer that has a light fruit aftertaste and with hints of sweetness (not too much, mind you). Perhaps the best of Unibroue's offerings...I will have to think on this.

Very drinkable for its potency, and with a great thick feeling that is pleasant rather than cloying.

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My father brought this down from Quebec for me. At first I didn't know what to think of it for the simple fact that it had a cork in it. But i chilled it down and popped the cork. I smelled the cork, even though it isn't a wine, and was pleased with the scent it gave off. It was a fruity scent put i couldn't place, but it tickled my nostrals. I poured it into a pint glass and to my surprise it had a color close to Guinness, but not to dark as to not light a little light through. It had a nice head to it, not to frizzy. When i took a sip, i know i was in for a pleasure. It had a taste that words can't do justice. It had at first the taste of your average Canadian beer, but the after taste was a fruity and enjoyable. It went down quickly and before I knew it i drank the 24 oz bottle in the matter of minutes. I had a good buzz for a while. I highly suggest it you try it for the first time, don't read the bottle. It gives away a lot of it's secerts.

3.7/5  rDev -12.5%

I have had this brew before and remember it being absolutely magnificent.

Served from another fancy 341ml Unibroue bottle into a Goblet.

A- Dark, dark brown with probably one of the nicest tan heads ive ever seen on a beer with very good lacing.

S- Tonnes of dark fruit aromas, roasted malts, hints of chocolate/cocoa, smells like a sherry wine.

T- As the beer warms, the flavors just come out beautifully. Very fruity, dark roasted malts, some wicked spices, with some cocoa,flavors of dark chocolate truffles, alcohol is noticed, it truly does have flavors of an decent port wine.

M- Slick,nice and creamy with a medium body and small amount of carbonation.

D- very very enjoyable beer. Easily one of the most drinkable beers ive had. 1 or 2 does the trick.

Overall what else is new. Another desirable beer from Unibroue. This truely is an admirable beer. Ive shown it to wine connoisseurs and they truly believe that it is one of the best beers in the world which in my opinion, is right on the money. Enjoy!

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%

This one was very interesting for me. I've never had a beer like this (I realize I'm showing my inexperience with that statement, but hey, I'm being honest). When I read the label and noted the claim that it had a "pleasant aftertaste that lingers like a port wine" I knew I had to try it. At $6.99 for 750ml, the price is right.

Appearance is very good. Has nice head to begin with, that dissipates with a nice frothing effect. The color is very dark, and somewhat winey. All-in-all, before the first sip is taken, I was already impressed.

I found the smell more similar to wine really, fruity with some nuttiness. I didn't spend much time noting this, as I was ready to get to actually tasting it. The taste is unusual, but nice. Very complex, and again, more akin to a wine than what the usual drinker is accustomed to in beer, especially your average American beer drinker. The alcohol is definitely noticeable, but not overpowering, and if you're used to something like a port or sherry (usually in the 17% range), then this isn't particularly noteworthy overall. This would be the perfect beer to gift to a wine-drinker. The aforementioned claim about it lingering like a port are apparent and quite valid.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are quite good. I myself found myself sipping this rather than gulping, again bringing comparisons to wine. While carbonation is apparent, it's very mellow for a beer and soothing. This is a unique brew to be sure, and I can see those used to drinking macrobrews finding it a bit too strong. If you like good beer though, especially if you also can appreciate a good wine from time to time, Trois Pistoles will satisfy.

4.36/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Amazingly beautiful bottle and labeling, as found on all Unibroue bottles. I feel like a bad ass opening and pouring this. The brew pretty much jumps out of the bottle as I slowly pour it into a goblet, leaving the yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle, then pouring it separately into a shot glass and drinking it separately (it's good for you!). Appearance is cola dark, almost black but with deep ruby notes coming through at times. Tan head is large and foamy, but dissipates after a minute. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Weak smells of dark fruit, something citric, and perhaps licorice. Somewhat medicinal as well. Too weak for me to appreciate. Not a strong part of this brew in my opinion.

Taste: Very good, classic dark Belgian taste. Heavy. Very malty up fruit yielding to dark fruits - plums and raisins. Something citric in the middle, but not sour... more sugary... as if there were a piece of lime candy in my glass? Alcohol is very noticable in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Very little carbonation. Medium bodied. Coats the tongue, enveloping the entire mouth in flavor.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, and very accessible. I feel like I could put quite a few of these down. I may regret it a little after, but it's cheap enough (about 2$ a bottle) that I wouldn't feel like I was wasting something special. A more accessible (and cheaper!) version of a Trappist ale, I'll definitely pick this up again.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Best before date of 4-25-09

A - Poured out a dark brown color (almost like a cola). It had a fizzy, tan, three-finger head. It left great lace.

S - It smelled of malt, sweet fruits - like a berry or cherry aroma.

T - It tasted quite sweet. It was nutty and malty. It aso had some hop spice.

M - It was smooth and warm on the tongue. It was a heavy-bodied beer.

D - This is a great beer. No surprise for a Unibroue beer.

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a unibroue tulip.

dark brown, almost a black color. Light tan head with active bubbles and carbonation.

bubble gum, and candy smell

taste is malty with a little sweetness of candied fruit.

heavy on carbonation at first, fizzles out toward the end.

Had this at Alefest, and enjoyed it better then. Might have had a not so great bottle.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

A - A big solid four finger khaki head rises over a dark mahogany brown brew with rootbeer highlights. The head eventually recedes to a half finger cap and leaves some nice spotty lace on my snifter. A swirl brings the head back up to a thick finger, and causes thick sheets of lace to slide down the glass. I started to notice reddish and peach-orange tints to the brew as the volume in the glass lessened....what a fascinating color!

S - Very fruity with aromas of kiwi, lime, peach, and a darker note of dates or prunes. Behind the fruitiness, and very nice yeast characteristic quickly identifies this as a Belgian style ale. Warm coconut cookies straight from the oven and a light whiff of alcohol come out as it warms. Overall, this smells much lighter and fruitier that I would have expected, but there is still a very dark and dusty undertone ....I like it!

T - Candy sugar coated dates with lime juice sprinkled on them. Initially sweet, then citric, then fading to a long warming finish after the swallow. Fruity with pear and peach juicy flavors and lightly toasted caramel malt undertones. This is damn good stuff!

M - Full bodied, rich, and exquisitely silky. Low levels of carbonation and a high level of alcohol add up to a very smooth and extremely creamy satiny mouthfeel. Outstanding!

D - Excellent. I could never get bored with this stuff. Its light and fruity enough to be refreshing in warm weather, and its rich and warming enough to enjoy in the winter months. This is a nearly flawless brew....the only downfall is that it could be a bit too sweet. But that's just nitpicking.

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

Dark mahogany colour with thick half inch beige head that falls away to a thin lace quite quickly
Spicy, Belgian yeast with some mild dark fruitiness.
Rich dark fruit & malt flavours with some of the spice that was present in the aroma coming through as well.
Suprising a little light on the mouthfeel given the rich taste.
Very tasty beer which is quite drinkable given the high ABV%. Definately an occasional beer given the price.

2.91/5  rDev -31.2%

Got this one today for $6.99.

Bought it for a try at another ale, But a stronger one at that.
Poured it into a glass, a small amount also I might add.

The Appearance is a medium dark brown, Reddish hues and a cloudy sort of appearance. 1 fingers worth of head, hello and goodbye. Light lacing.

Looked like sody pop. Smelled like flowery and fruity sweetness. And did not hide the alcohol content at all. This is not a bad thing though.

Taste was strong and lasting. Had a burning taste from the high alcohol content. Didnt feel this was a great thing but somthing different every once in a while is good. Taste like the smell. After a few glasses, I soon felt why it was such a good brew. I now really liked this one, but for the price I pass.

Mouthfeel was Vaporous. If thats a word.
It was thinner than others. Not thick but and chewy at all. Sleek but harsh.

Drinkability was okay.
I would save it and put it in the celler if possible. That could do wonders for this one. I dont favor this but it was good in a sense.

Strong.

I probably will buy this again. Next time I will drink colder I think.
Had to go out and buy a cork for this one. HA HA HA.
Drank Ice cold, but as it gets warmer its better.

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance - 4.0
Almost exactly like cola, from the colour to the rapidly rising bubbles. I am shocked how fizzy this beer looks. The two fingers of darkish brown head disappeared almost instantly.

Smell - 4.5
Although there is a high alcohol volume, this is just barely evident in the smell. It smells rather sweet, although not particularly strong. I can detect aromas of licorice, vanilla, and a malty sweetness. With a little warming there is a nice smell of overripe fruit.

Taste - 4.5
Yummy! The alcohol is immediately evident, and perhaps not as well masked as it could be, although this improves as the beer warms up. Most impressive is the aftertaste, which lingers in the mouth, leaving the taste of a good port.

Mouthfeel - 4.5
I am really relieved that the initial violent fizziness has gone away, leaving the beer only slightly fizzier than average for a dark ale. It feels relatively light for this kind of beer, and quite mellow.

Drinkability - 4.0
There are other strong Belgian beers that mask their alcohol better, but as this warms up it becomes smoother, tastier and more drinkable. As I am finishing the glass I could actually see myself wanting a second in one sitting.

OVERALL
The longer I spent on this one the more it grew on me, which I think was largely due to starting it a little too cold. It was worth the money to try once, and it is certainly special, but I will probably not get it again. Very good beer, but there are better of its style.
Edit: Second sampling of this beer bumped the score from 4 to 4.35. Definitely drank too cold first time around. Excellent.

4.63/5  rDev +9.5%

This beer is truly special. The pour is nice leading to a robust head that is known for its long good-byes. On the nose this beer has a slight sweetness followed by a well rounded malt. The taste of this beer is brilliant! Moreover, it is very drinkable, exceptionally balanced and suited for any occasion. Bravo. One note on the closing, this beer packs a punch.

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Sampled on 5-25-07
Best before 5-3-09

Pours a deep red/purple, with a massive off-white head that settles nicely.

Smell is super dark fruits, almost perfumey, sweet yet balanced by a good Belgian aroma.

Taste is very Belgian at first, followed by a smooth sweetness. Lots of dark fruits, plum, balanced by a perfect amount of subtle bitterness. A light alcohol warming finishes, which is very pleasant.

Mouthfeel is perfect, super smooth and creamy.

Drinkability is surprisingly good, given the modest 9% abv.

Overall, a fantastic beer. Once again I'm very impressed by Unibroue. Highly recommended.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance: It's a very dark brown. Can't see a thing through it. Thick, foamy two finger head. Good retention and a decent coat of lace remained.

Smell: Interesting. It smells spicy (as most Unibroue brews do). Perhaps it's a peppery smell. Definitely malty. Notes of dark fruit, molasses and brown sugar are present.

Taste: Initially, it's spicy. Certainly not overly so. It's a bit of a light spiciness. Actually a bit less than other Unibroue beers I've tried. Dark fruit tastes are certainly present and a sweet taste to it. Very nice malty flavor. On the outskirts are a molasses like taste. Very complex.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's medium bodied and very smooth. Very well carbonated. At 9%, it's strong, but you really can't tell. It's masked very well and it's very drinkable. Certainly not a session, but very drinkable all the same. Overall, it's very good.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Pitch black with moderate head

Tart fruit sweet sugar

Nice and sweet / quite tart / earthy / thick and sugary / light chocolate and raisin / spicy / light yeasty esters / dry through sweet

Medium-plus bodied with spicy carbonation

Sweet and delightful, very fun brew.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

I have been very curious about this beer for a while. After buying one to go from Brewerkz,
I have had it sit in my fridge for a while and I finally got to tasting this fine beer one
night. The Unibroue bottle is one of the more elegant looking bottles around, with a nice
silver foil round the neck and top of the bottle and the words "Unibroue" printed on the
foil. At the back of the bottle there is a silver printing which reads "L044". According
to the Unibroue website this signifies the bottling date and L represents November, 04
means 4th and 4 means 2004. Therefore my bottle is bottled on November 4, 2004. Trois
Pistoles is pronounced (Trwa-pee-stole) and is actually a place in Canada; I would not
bore anyone with any more of the history. This beer is brewed in Quebec, Canada but it
follows the Belgian Strong Dark Ale style of brewing leaving it with aromatic fruity notes.
The Trois Pistole poured out with a mild head which disspitates very quickly leaving slight
lacing. It smells subtlely of some dried or dark fruits and has a very strong taste of
those fruits. The 9 ABV goes amazingly smooth and hardly feels heavy at all if taken slow;
this strength, however, gives it great beer character on top of the great taste. The after
taste is equally fantastic though not as long lasting as I may have liked it to be. I felt
that the Trois Pistoles taste is similar to the Westmalle Dubbel, heavily fruity, but the
fruity taste in the Westmalle Dubbel is definitely stronger and, at 7 ABV is less potent
compared to the Trois Pistoles and, thus I still prefer the Westmalle Dubbel. BUt these
2 beers definitely have similarities, in my opinion. The Trois Pistole is a GREAT beer and
fully lived up to my expectation. If I had not tried the Westmalle Dubbel before this one,
I would probably be totally overwhelmed as this kind of matured, dark, very slightly sweet
fruit taste turns out to be my favourite taste (for now) in Boutique Belgian Ales.

4.41/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a deep, opaque brown with a thick and rich head. Aroma is nice, unusual, very fruity, more like that of a cider. Very pleasing flavor has strong pear overtones, is mostly malty with some smoky hints; in a way it tastes more like a cider than a beer. This is a brew to be sipped and savored by itself, rather than chugged or consumed with a meal. I strongly recommend this one.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

A- Dark brown with a creamy light tan head. pretty.

S- Smells dark and malty... peppery, earthy, herbal, vegetal, sweet sugar and molasses. A complex and thoroughly enjoyable nose.

T- Malty up front, with a lot of pepper and some herbal notes. A slight amount of pine and hops in the very back that comes to balance... taste is wonderful.

M- Smooth and low in carbonation.. almost buttery, but in a good way.

D- You could have a couple. It's very very good. mmmm.

Trois Pistoles from Unibroue